Specific power device: NOT a surge protector

I just bought one for the cruise- I had 2nd thoughts once I got it though. I ended up leaving it at home- didn't want the hassle/worry about it. On amazon it does say-extension cord in description.

• Like 1

You can't expect the security screener to figure out whether or not a particular device contains a surge suppressor. Even if OP's device does not include surge suppression it's likely to be confiscated. Even if it is still in the original packaging. 

12 hours ago, VegasVic14 said:

Allowed or will it be confiscated?image.png.3d822a9929de92c7ebf723bb9605f91c.png

Confiscated because it is an extension cord which is prohibited by RCCL. 

Although, most of the confiscated items are mostly steamers and coffee pots

March 2022

image.thumb.png.5c5266f3dd98c45c91b719b786d48f8d.png

Edited by BirdTravels

Wow!!! We’ve been cruising RCCL for 20+ years and always bring surge protectors and unless we’re in a suite we bring our Keurig coffee pot. Never had an issue after 63 cruises. I see the confiscated stuff on the table on disembarking day but never had an issue. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cmackdaddy said:

Wow!!! We’ve been cruising RCCL for 20+ years and always bring surge protectors and unless we’re in a suite we bring our Keurig coffee pot. Never had an issue after 63 cruises. I see the confiscated stuff on the table on disembarking day but never had an issue. 

I am very surprised that you have gotten a coffee maker through security, but the fact your cabin steward hasn't reported it doesn't surprise me, as he/she is not desirous of ticking you off so you don't remove the DSC.  Surge protectors are a fire hazard on ships, and even a perfectly performing, brand new surge protector, right out of the packaging, can fail and start a fire, even with nothing plugged into it, caused by a ground fault perhaps at the other end of the ship from your cabin.  They are "silent killers" on ships.  None of the thousands of pieces of equipment, worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, and that keep the ship sailing and safe, that are part of the ship, have any surge protection whatsoever, as it is not needed onboard, and the types that work with ship's wiring are very expensive.  Search "surge protectors" or search my posts, I've written hundreds over the years about the danger.

• Like 3

I've been cruising with a similar product to what the OP posted (the block on mine is about half the size).  I wrap it around my laptop with the power cord for the computer, and it's never been noticed/confiscated (looks like part of my computer cord, I imagine).  

And before anyone gets on my case, no, my unit does NOT have a surge protector in it, and yes, I checked to be sure.

I've noticed that the people running the scanners for checked luggage seem to be focused on "not allowed" items while people running the scanners for carry-on luggage seem to be focused on "weapon/booze" items.  My scissors for cutting hair were the subject of much debate by the carry-on checkers, but always go through the checked luggage just fine.  On the other hand, my extension cord for my computer never gets a second glance at the carry-on scanner.  

• Like 1

How long does the cord of a USB charger have to be in order to be considered an "extension" cord? If it's just going from the wall to the desk so your stuff has a place to sit while being charged, say 1-2 feet, I don't think that's considered very extended. 

15 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

How long does the cord of a USB charger have to be in order to be considered an "extension" cord? If it's just going from the wall to the desk so your stuff has a place to sit while being charged, say 1-2 feet, I don't think that's considered very extended. 

Typically, if it is merely a USB hub (no power outlets), they don't bother with them, as they don't consider these to be extension cords.  USB hubs typically don't have surge protection either.  It is the higher power draw of the extension cord to the power outlets that is of concern to RCI.

10 hours ago, Cmackdaddy said:

I am very surprised to hear they never confiscated your Keurig.    Curious, do you fly with the coffee maker too.     I guess you take your coffee pretty serious if you must bring your own.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Typically, if it is merely a USB hub (no power outlets), they don't bother with them, as they don't consider these to be extension cords.  USB hubs typically don't have surge protection either.  It is the higher power draw of the extension cord to the power outlets that is of concern to RCI.

Thanks....so if it does have a power outlet, it can't have a cord at all, even a short one?