Laundry?

Phantom86

We are overpacking here. Will there be any laundry specials during a 10 day Alaska cruise? Years ago there was a $5 bag 1/2 way through a Celebrity cruise, useful for u dies and socks. Any suggestions regarding packing 10 + pairs of socks per person? Is there any type of laundry special? Thank you.

Paying for 1 or 2 loads of laundry will not be that expensive as a percentage of the total cost of your cruise.  I would not worry about a few bucks.  You could wash your socks and other stuff in the sink however.

DON

• Like 1

Normally no laundry specials. There are self service laundries on each passenger deck. Not expensive. $3 each wash & dry. Bring your own soap & dryer sheets or they are for sale in the laundry. Irons are free. Laundry service is priced per piece. From experience a typical bag of normal laundry will be around $50/60. Depends on what items you place in the bag.

• Like 1

i have not seen any deals post-covid (4 cruises). I am Elite and get free laundry and usually "spend" $35-50 per week using laundry service. Before becoming Elite, we used the self-serve laundries. I would bring detergent. They worked well.

• Like 1

We will be travelling to Alaska in August and are Elite.  I know I used their laundry service in 2018, but I can't remember whether or not we can specify that they do not dry certain items. Do they use the same commercial machines as they do for sheets, towels, etc?   I don't want to go home with a bunch of clothing that will only fit a Barbie Doll.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,

• Like 2

Items on the *right* side of the slip, under “cleaning” rather than laundry, get finished like at a dry cleaner rather than tumble dried.  I have never had anything shrink.  I did have one pair of linen pants get spotted kind of aggressively and they made a very equitable adjustment. 

My cotton polos come out much, much nicer than they do at home as a result of the finishing steps.  Lovely hand and perfect collars. 

• Like 1

I am a elite member I sent some of my tee shirts to their laundry service and got them back with small holes in them. I complaint to passengers service and they gave me some money for them.

I thought it was just a fluke but it happened again on another Princess ship. Some of my friends told me the same thing happened to them. Check your clothes carefully when you get them back. 
My friend told me passengers service told him because he had Princess insurance to file a claim with them. He told them no way! They paid him for his Clothes. 
Tony

• Like 3

1017012646_laundryticket.thumb.jpg.c4bdf12d47455e30cc8cdb7a19c5fa62.jpg

2 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Items on the *right* side of the slip, under “cleaning” rather than laundry, get finished like at a dry cleaner rather than tumble dried.  I have never had anything shrink.  I did have one pair of linen pants get spotted kind of aggressively and they made a very equitable adjustment. 

My cotton polos come out much, much nicer than they do at home as a result of the finishing steps.  Lovely hand and perfect collars. 

"Cleaning" is not an option any longer.  I posted somewhere that Laundry is now all wash only.  

Yes, you still can get items pressed without cleaning.  No, I was told, everything is laundried now.  I did notice the difference, but it could have been the person doing the ironing.  Some pieces that I had hoped to be "cleaned" came back limp and not ironed properly.

I would ask your steward before sending out items to be "cleaned". 

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

"Cleaning" is not an option any longer.  I posted somewhere that Laundry is now all wash only.  

I remember your post for a specific ship.

Do you know if this is true on all Princess ships?

35 minutes ago, caribill said:

I remember your post for a specific ship.

Do you know if this is true on all Princess ships?

No,  I have only been on the Grand Princess (4x) since restart.  I hope it is not fleet wide.  Would love to hear from other passengers. 

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If that's true for all the ships, it's very disappointing. 

Maybe it only temporary? 

I wonder how they clean the officer's uniforms?

The process onboard  has been Wet Cleaning for close to twenty years.   There are numerous threads here, one with input from a retired dry cleaner who provided technical information.   

On the slip, “laundry” on the left is washed and dried without spotting or ironing.  Woven shirts go through “shirt laundry” with a dip finish and hot press.   On the right, “cleaning” is cleaned the same way, and then gets additional hand attention and finishing.  But the basic cleansing process is the exact same between the two sides of the slip and has been for ages. 

• Thanks 1

BUT...my shirts/blouses and slacks that are listed on the laundry side come back ironed/pressed.  So does it really matter which box you check?

I am just thankful that this service is offered.  

Edited by cr8tiv1

43 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

So what's a bag of laundry to be done by Princess cost?  Say 3 pairs of jeans, 3 shirts and 3 t-shirts?

Jeans = $4.50 x 3

3 shirts = $4.25 x 3

3 t-shirts = $2.75 x 3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the Discovery recently we had room B620, across from the laundromat. I noticed on the room tv that under things you could order were COMPLIMENTARY detergent and dryer sheets. I thought about doing our laundry the morning we were delayed arriving to Victoria so I went across the hall to the laundromat to see the cost. To my surprise the washer and dryer were free. The coin slots were removed. In addition, there was detergent and dryer sheets available as well so I didn’t need to order that. It was very convenient and thinking now I will look for cabins near the laundry room.