Summit - which is better speciality restaurant?

catspaw1

Personally I prefer Tuscan Grill.    To me La Petite Chef is rather gimmicky and one and done.   If you have never done, it might be a fun experience. 

My main objection to it is that it is a fixed time dinner and everything is choreographed to the "Show".  Every one arrives at the exact same time and it can be difficult to get wine service or even refills.  

• Like 3

We like both. Le Petite Chef is a little less formal (imo) but the food is just as good. The menu aligns with the video  (although other choices are available), but if you want them to sync up, then you wouldn't choose something else. It isn't just a meal but entertainment as well. Tuscan obviously has more choices and the food is excellent.

Our experience has been that they have 2 different "shows" during the cruise for Le Pete Chef. The first half of the cruise is one of the them and the last half, the other. I don't know if that will be the case on your cruise.

We usually do both LPC shows, and Tuscan at least once. I have attached the menus for both from our Dec Silhouette cruise. They may be the same.  Le Petite Chef.pdfTuscan Grille Dinner Menu.pdf

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Personally I prefer Tuscan Grill.    To me La Petite Chef is rather gimmicky and one and done.   If you have never done, it might be a fun experience. 

My main objection to it is that it is a fixed time dinner and everything is choreographed to the "Show".  Every one arrives at the exact same time and it can be difficult to get wine service or even refills.  

Thanks Jim, I have enjoyed reading all your cruise posts & am so sorry you both tested positive but glad to hear you are in Scotland now. What kind of show does LA Petite do? Why is that restaurant higher in price? Good point about everyone arriving at the same time also. Thanks for your help here & your many contributions to CC.

4 minutes ago, galleycook said:

We like both. Le Petite Chef is a little less formal (imo) but the food is just as good. The menu aligns with the video  (although other choices are available), but if you want them to sync up, then you wouldn't choose something else. It isn't just a meal but entertainment as well. Tuscan obviously has more choices and the food is excellent.

Our experience has been that they have 2 different "shows" during the cruise for Le Pete Chef. The first half of the cruise is one of the them and the last half, the other. I don't know if that will be the case on your cruise.

We usually do both LPC shows, and Tuscan at least once. I have attached the menus for both from our Dec Silhouette cruise. They may be the same.  Le Petite Chef.pdfTuscan Grille Dinner Menu.pdf

Thanks galley cook. What kind of shows are they? As good as the regular evening shows?

3 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Thanks galley cook. What kind of shows are they? As good as the regular evening shows?

It's not a live show. It's a cartoon that's projected from the ceiling onto your table.

Another vote for Tuscan over LPC but totally agree with Jim that if you haven’t experienced LPC it is great as a one off experience. We chuckled through our meal the first time…Second time the novelty had worn off, there will not be a third visit.

The show is nothing like a real show. It is like a cartoon story on your table, it is very novel and amusing. If you fancy trying do not look it up as it will take the edge off the novelty. We found the food quality OK, but the choices are limited as the main menu fits in with the ‘storyline’.

30 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

The show is a cartoon type video projected on the table from above. The video lines up with your plate and in a fun way shows how the course is prepared. When the food is finished being prepared in the video, the servers are standing next to you to place the course on the table and it is supposed to look like video presentation. Each course has its own video and is presented in the same way. They turn the lights off for better viewing while the video is played.

In one of the menus, they went through the 4 seasons.It was about the chef starting a family, them growing up, moving away and then returning. Those were the 4 seasons. The course for each season was tied to that phase of their lives.

Check You Tube. I'm sure there will be lots of videos about it either as part of cruise vlog or on their own. This will give you a better idea than my description.

Its fun and as I said, we do both if we can but I wouldn't do the same show multiple times on the same cruise. 

On the M class ships we skip the specialty restaurants altogether and use any OBC-N for purchases in shops. The OBC-R we take back in cash or credit to our card. We don't find Tuscan either to be true Italian or a genuine steakhouse but more like a mid scale chain. Le Petite Chef is only fun if seen through the eyes of our grandkids.

Thanks everyone. I did look at YouTube on la Petite & agree it looks better for kids. Not for us seniors. I like the suggestion of using the OBC in the gift shops. Thanks everyone for the helpful comments 

It's such a waste to have LPC in that space every night. I wish they would rotate it and have some other menu every other night or at the least offer Le Grand Bistro for brunch and lunch in that space. 

• Like 4

We did LPC several years ago shortly after the concept was introduced.  Since we had a significant amount of non-refundable OBC this dinner was a good way to “burn through” some of it.  Include us in the number of folks who found it to be a “once and done” experience.  For those how found Qsine to be rather gimmickry, this concept is even more so.   A hotel director once told us how much Celebrity pays in royalties each time someone views the “show.”   I am hesitant to post the amount but it is significant amount of money.  

And I totally agree with Luvcrusn’s description of Tuscan.  I really wish that the Murano equivalent restaurants would return to the M-class ships.

• Like 2

All the M class ships had a Murano type restaurant once upon a time.  They were excellent.  Sadly, they were all removed.

Re Le Petit Chef, since I had the PH, all the specialties were included, so we went to Le Petit Chef for lobster and steak night.  I had avoided it previously, thinking it a gimmick.  We found the animation to be amusing and the food was very good.  Not sure I'd pay the high price that restaurant commands, though.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Thanks Jim, I have enjoyed reading all your cruise posts & am so sorry you both tested positive but glad to hear you are in Scotland now. What kind of show does LA Petite do? Why is that restaurant higher in price? Good point about everyone arriving at the same time also. Thanks for your help here & your many contributions to CC.

Thanks,    My understanding it their are 2 menus for LPC.  Le Petit and Friends and Le Pewtit Chef an Family.   Each are an animated show on your plate and table with meals synced to the presentation.

Originally it was priced at 1/2 the price of Murano and Tuscan but now is more expensive.  The reason I would guess is pure marketing and people willingness to pay the cost. 

Le Petit Chef and Friends

The world-renown artists of Skullmapping presented by TableMation have reached a true pinnacle of their custom 3D table animation art form. Le Petit Chef and Friends will magically transport guests on an awe-inspiring journey around the world! As our 4 mini-chefs from Italy, Spain, France and Japan whimsically whip-up delicious specialty dishes from their home land, creating theater on your plate while bringing your whole table to life! Le Petit Chef and Friends offered on Celebrity Cruises is simply one of the most unique dining events in the world. Available on Millennium Series and Solstice Series.

Le Petit Chef and Family

Tabletops come to life with a brand new Le Petit Chef experience—an animated fusion of entertainment and dining, featuring dishes such as filet mignon. This new animation begins with Le Petit Chef as a 12 year old boy, who meets a girl which later becomes his wife. They go on to marry, have children and grow old together. Their life and cooking is chronicled throughout each of the seasons. Available on Celebrity Edge® and Celebrity Apex.

Le-Petit-Chef-at-Le-Grand-Bistro-Menu_Page_2.thumb.jpg.a363d0c65c27d49bb6e6b8b261adffac.jpg

Le-Petit-Chef-at-Le-Grand-Bistro-Menu_Page_1.thumb.jpg.55681a947a594ddfefb2d4998f2712e3.jpg

• Thanks 1

We are on the Summit now and had reservations at both restaurants. TPC has different menus in different nights. I'd heard complaints from some guests who went when the main selection was a pasta dish as the price is high for pasta! We are going on the Steak and Lobster night.

As for Tuscan, the steaks are your best choice my hubby and I each had an appetizer ( he likes their minestrone), we shared the lobster ravioli, and then each had an entree. 

Remember that their is an 18% gratuity tacked on to your bill above the price you paid for dinner.  For $106 for two, eat until you are stuffed!

Decided to try the seared tuna in Tuscan on Summit and it was surprisingly good.  My filet the same week, not so much (utterly flavorless).  LPC was tasty even though I had to substitute sea bass for the pasta.  Don't know that I'd go to LPC again, but I had leftover OBC to burn.  Depending on how much OBC you have, I recommend the Chef's Table as well as the Veuve Clicquot pairing dinner.  The VC dinner must be booked onboard.  Chef's Table and VC dinners are both pricey.

Edited by goofysmom99