Club Class extra dish?

We were recently on the Discovery (4/24-4/29) and had Club Class.

Only a 5 day and did specialty dining for 2 of the days, so ate in the MDR 3 times.

I thought Club Class included an extra dish each night (pasta, dessert) that's not on the regular menu. No such animal was offered to us. Asked our waiter about it and got a shrug.

Have they stopped doing this? Was it just Discovery? Was it just our specific sailing?

I can't speak for the Discovery, but the daily special dish was offered to us nightly on the Grand last month. Well, there was one waiter who didn't offer it, but told us when we asked (we only had him the one night).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

We were recently on the Discovery (4/24-4/29) and had Club Class.

Only a 5 day and did specialty dining for 2 of the days, so ate in the MDR 3 times.

I thought Club Class included an extra dish each night (pasta, dessert) that's not on the regular menu. No such animal was offered to us. Asked our waiter about it and got a shrug.

Have they stopped doing this? Was it just Discovery? Was it just our specific sailing?

Maybe because it was a 5 day?  On the 7 day inaugural we had special dishes offered to us every night.

• Thanks 1

On the Grand (4, 5, 15, 10 day) cruises, I was offered a specialty dish almost every night.  They might have skipped a day or two since I was on a low sodium diet and they couldn't accommodate same day prep.

Normal pasta with the chili flakes that they did in the MDR before.  Something with scallops on top of a pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon.  Some fish.  Something shrimp.  Some kind of steak.  Lobster Thermidor on the shorter cruise.  Can't remember the rest.  A special salad.  Desserts include little cookies or whatever you want to call them.

You picked the wrong ship.  Should have come with me...(inside joke folks).

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ProfMHC said:

Ditto Ruby to Hawaii January—every night and loved those tiny cookie things!

Thank you for using my kind of language.  Obviously, I am not a foodie but got my point across.  

• Like 1

On the Caribbean Princess the first week in January it wasn't always an entree.  I remember one night it was brushetta - not special and not an entree!  There was also a risotto that we barely touched and when our servers asked why, I truthfully but politely said that I make better risotto (DH agreed).  There may have been one or two very good dishes but not good enough to remember but that was okay because, on the whole, we were very pleased with the MDR menus and found something we liked each evening. 

We’re currently on the CB for 18 days in Club Class and they’ve had the extra dish every night. But to be honest, we have not been wowed at all as I’ve tried it twice and my DW once. However, if they ever offer Lobster Thermidor as the specialty, we might order that. But until then, we’ll just keep ordering from the main menu as all the dishes have been pretty tasty for the most part so far.

Yes, the lobster thermidor was great. I will admit that was the first time I have ever tried Lobster. Had a special desert on a different cruise, but it was made with ice cream, yuck. OK I don't care for ice cream but my husband loved it.

But, we had the best pasta ever on a trip. It had so much garlic I was odor proof for days. LOVED it. Hope we have it again in 3 weeks when we are back on the Ruby.

Were you dining in the MDR part of Skagway or in the Club Class area?  

We dined in the Club area twice on our May 4th cruise, both times there was a special appetizer and main dish.  We only tried the green salad with sirloin strips and it was pretty tasty.

• Like 1

Just off the Majestic 7 day coastal. Offered extra entree every night and 2nd night extra entree was a 8 ounce beef tenderloin wrapped in bacon and stuffed with blue cheese. One of the eat dinners in recent history 

• Like 2

We were are on the Discovery Princess April 24-May 4 (5 day Cabo B2B 5 day Pacific Coastal.  We ate in the Club Class Dining Room every night except one and each time we were told what the extra dish was for breakfast as well as dinner. I can't remember if there was an extra dish on sea day lunches.  Dining Room manager 1st leg was Mark and 2nd leg Manager was Nelson, they always advised us and the our waiter would let us know also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’re currently on the CB for 18 days in Club Class and they’ve had the extra dish every night. But to be honest, we have not been wowed at all as I’ve tried it twice and my DW once. However, if they ever offer Lobster Thermidor as the specialty, we might order that. But until then, we’ll just keep ordering from the main menu as all the dishes have been pretty tasty for the most part so far.

It was on the Discovery one night and very tasty!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Were you dining in the MDR part of Skagway or in the Club Class area?  

We dined in the Club area twice on our May 4th cruise, both times there was a special appetizer and main dish.  We only tried the green salad with sirloin strips and it was pretty tasty.

Club Class

The consensus is IN. Everyone in Club Class got an extra dish...except US.

This was our first and likely only time we'll be in CC (we usually book inside). We were looking forward to trying out the "special" dishes. 😪

Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

• Like 2

Must be hit or miss ...

Pre-covid sailing we were offered extra only once in 5 nights ...

Bananas Foster ...

And waitstaff made us feel obliged to order it ...

Not impressed by the dish nor by the staff attitude.

11 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Must be hit or miss ...

Pre-covid sailing we were offered extra only once in 5 nights ...

Bananas Foster ...

And waitstaff made us feel obliged to order it ...

Not impressed by the dish nor by the staff attitude.

Yuck!! I really dislike Bananas Foster.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Yuck!! I really dislike Bananas Foster.

Haha, my fave!  I wonder if you should report that you were not offered any special dishes at all and ask for some OBC, after all the extra dishes are promoted as a benefit of club class.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

Haha, my fave!  I wonder if you should report that you were not offered any special dishes at all and ask for some OBC, after all the extra dishes are promoted as a benefit of club class.

If I reported all the things we weren't offered or didn't get (suite & CC) they'd owe me 1/4 of a cruise.

Pretty sure it's not worth the effort to ask for OBC after the fact.

• Like 1

We were on the Enchanted for 20 days in March, and there was an extra entree every single night.  We had lobster thermidor, steak diane,  pork tenderloin medallions with scallops, another steak, and some others that I forgot.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 9:26 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

The Lobster Thermidor was really good.  I haven't seen it recently.  

Had it as an extra in March on the Enchanted.  Only a 10 day cruise, but pretty much what FritzG said.

Edited by OriginalBoat