The Daily for Monday 05/09/2022

richwmn

Good morning from central Texas where it will be hot again today.

Our orphan socks are usually due to the mate having a hole in it and being tossed out.  The laundry on Koningsdam lost one of my socks in March, so it is not just home dryers that send socks into a black hole.  I think the tags are off the mattresses.  Women's check-up day is important.  We had our check-ups last month, and my mamogram is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

I like the quote of the day. 

The meal looks interesting, and I'd like to try the wine.  We'll pass on the drink.

We have not been to Abu Dhabi yet.  We were supposed to be boarding Coral Princess in less than ten days with Abu Dhabi as one of the ports, but the cruise was cancelled last fall.  We have another chance on Coral P's world cruise next year. 🤞

@kazu  Jacqui, it was good to see your post.  Thank you for the translation.  My high school Spanish was never good enough to understand spoken Spanish.  Take care of yourself during this difficult time.  We'll be here when you need us.

@cat shepard  Ann, I hope the new waterheater is installed soon.  Take your time on returning to the beverage department.  Also, take care of yourself.

@ger_77  Gerry, sorry the patio furniture did not work out.  It sounds like the factory has a quality control problem.

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

I thought I would start the week off right and try to post after the prodding by @rafinmd 😉 but I’m not going to quite follow Rich’s theme today if that is ok.  Warning this is going to be a long post 😬  Since you have all been with me on this 5 month journey…..

I know some of you watched the service and I am appreciative that you chose to join us.  For those that did, you heard me speaking Spanish (or trying to) to Jose and his family.  Here is the translation:  
“hello & greetings to the Ledezma family in Mexico from Canada.  Thank you for being here.  Forgive me for this sad Cinco de Mayo & my Spanish as it is not very good.  I grieve & suffer with you.  Jose, my pekonio you will be in my heart today, tomorrow & always.  I love you very much.  Good bye my love - Go with God” (pekonio is an affectionate term in Spanish - I was pekonia - LOL)

Jose was cremated, and after separating some of his, the dogs’ ashes were mingled with his so they can all be together.  The cards on his flowers on each side from me:

90A2CF20-0449-4580-8F7F-F3648E8D8F29.thumb.jpeg.4750dd8d50093c5e2274ead5e9b410f9.jpeg

I have no words to thank you all who have been so kind and supportive over the last 5 months.  So much kindness from the Daily - ites.  You have helped support me and I will never forget it.  

There were some CC friends that did some very special things for me and I would like to thank  them (and I hope I didn’t forget anyone):

Dixie @summer slopeis a very skilled card maker & sent me beautiful cards on a regular basis to cheer & buoy me up.  Somehow her cards always arrived when I was a worst moment and they meant a lot to me. Thank you ♥️ 

Georgina @gigiannea dear friend who called me constantly checking up on me and was such a huge support.  She was a rock I could cling to when it felt like I was drowning in the new waters I found myself. Her cards & words meant so much to me.

Gerry @ger_77 was another rock for my on the phone & FB messenger and let me vent, cry, when I needed.  She sent me sympathy cards when I lost each dog and when she heard I lost Jose:

1C67C530-A7C7-494B-B787-C2A001C8EF89.thumb.jpeg.7ebeea995c3e4ba55e7dda013903d5be.jpeg

Gail @1of4 A skilled seamstress and purse/bag maker (she made me the bag you see me with on my cruises) decided I needed a new bag and something to cheer me.  She sent me a gorgeous bag made of cork:

769C72DC-9768-4D39-8434-F227075A5E07.thumb.jpeg.7618a1db7b34818ffd624638225e8271.jpeg

Upon hearing of Jose’s death:

7A38EF2E-7EEB-449F-B090-1775B19AE197.thumb.jpeg.45bd513604348de9b03e468dad093b2e.jpeg

Susie @SusieKIslandGirlA skilled quilter who makes comfort quilts for a hospital and trauma centre decided I needed comfort.  Her gorgeous quilt and touching note arrived the day after Jose’s funeral.  Her note brought tears to my eyes.

974E5E5E-30D2-443E-8A4A-804A48268592.thumb.jpeg.465b91025c0439ebe6abc21afcdd02f2.jpeg

02CC6159-B055-40E6-8A01-60065388B8A7.thumb.jpeg.8dcce75f1903becec9eea46f2afbe27c.jpeg

Roy @rafinmd thank you for your kind donation in memory of Jose and of course, for stepping in to do the Bon Voyage threads for me.  

Carole @mamaofami& Brenda @bennybear - thank you for all your caring & supportive emails over the last 5 months.

I have never cruised or met some of the people I have mentioned so the extent they reached out to help hold me up is amazing.  

My sincere thanks to you all.  God bless you for your caring, support and patience.  I am on a new journey now and while things will be difficult I will try to post on the Daily every day 🤞 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mamaofami said:

Jacqui, I’m so happy to see your post. I hope this means you are taking the first steps on this new and difficult journey. The service was beautiful and I love your notes and the fact that Jose’s ashes are mixed with the dog’s. Hang in there. Hugs

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I tried to quote under Jacqui’s post but it seems I failed and created a separate post . Mother’s Day was wonderful. Our son and grandson met us at a restaurant and we ate inside for the first time in over two years. We followed our daughter by text all the way to Rochester where she picked up her college son and we spoke to him on the ride back. My son in law, her husband called along with her other son and they both wished me a good day. My other college grandson emailed me as did his brother out in LA. All in all, it was a very nice day. Forgot to mention my son and grandson planted the flowers Sam and I bought but we didn’t buy enough so have to make a return trip.

Sad to say, I hear covid has showed it’s ugly face in New Jersey and we might be back to mask mandates.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 26

Although I am quite sure that most of us have experienced the missing sock phenomena, I have been fortunate enough to find some research that explains just how this has happened.  It is simple reincarnation.  Every time a sock is loss it is reincarnated and comes back as a tupperware lid that does not fit any of your containers.  You may have lost a sock, but now you have that lid you don't need to replace it.  Really glad I was able to share this with all of you.  

Welcome back Jacqui, we hope you know that our thoughts and prayers are still with you.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 18

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I'm happy to see Jacqui @kazujoin us this morning.  The translation of your comments at the service brought me to tears again today.  It will be a slow process adjusting to your new routine and life.  I hope you do stop here every day because we missed you a lot.  ❤️

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily!  I agree women's check-up day is important, and mine was one month ago.  Luckily I've never been a sock loser.🧦  I believe my mattresses still have their tags on them.  Wouldn't want to break a law!  The chicken dish sounds good and the quote is nice.  I have been to UAE but not to Abu Dhabi.  We had that port listed here June 9, 2021.  Thanks for any photos posted.  Do you have any from your visits, Graham @grapau27?   Interesting about you being there when the Costa Concordia had its disaster.

Roy @rafinmdthank you for the Care and Celebration lists.  Bright and early I said my prayers for everyone on the list, my nieces and nephew, and the poor Ukrainian people.  Also cheers to our Celebration list because everyone needs something good to happen in their lives to help get us through the rough times.  🥂Welcome back Ann, @cat shepard.  You have missed too!

Have a great day my friends!  

Hi Sandi.

We visited Abu Dhabi on Brilliance of the seas in 2011 and again in 2012 and everyone was talking about the Concordia disaster.

We visited again on Vision of the seas in February 2017.

I have posted some video of the Sky dome in the Marina Mall in another post.

Graham.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

It was good to hear from Jacqui @kazuand heartwarming to see the outpouring of love she has been getting.  The quilt, bag and flowers are all gorgeous and so well deserved. 

I find that usually a lost sock is found tangled up in the sheets or some other clothing -- love the Tupperware lid joke!  Pretty sure our mattress still has the tags, and my check-ups are all up to date thank goodness.

Will pass on the drink and wine, have never been to the port, the meal looks good.  Tonight DD will be making dinner for me, she plans on making Beet and Goat Cheese Ravioli.  Sounds good!  I'll be going down to pick up the grandsons after school while she's at a meeting, then we'll all go to their Taekwondo class before dinner.  

Before I go I may try to plant those annuals I got a few days ago.  I hope everyone has a nice day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Looks like we will have a mostly dry day for a change, so I will be able to do some yard work.  Need to take care of the bare patches in the lawn with some seed and fertilizer mix I bought last week.

Late yesterday I responded to the Daily with an error.  @Quartzsite CruiserLenda mentioned the date of a picture was 1963 and I was sure the car in the background was a 1965.  She gently corrected me that Impalas from 1962 to 1965 all had the same look in the rear.  She is correct.

Ray

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Aloha! Thanks Rich for the Fleet report and all the contributors.

My Mother’s Day dinner for the twins turned out being the best steaks I have ever cooked on a grill. USDA Prime surely makes a difference and cooking them Pittsburg style with a nice char was the topper.

No sunset picture today as a last minute group of clouds caused a dud! I’m sure it did set as it is back up again and looks to be a beautiful day.

What’s up today? As usual nothing! Laying on a chaise lounge body slopped with 50 sunscreen, reading, and watching wave after wave Roll in. Tonight is happy hour, pasta night, to bed so we can enjoy the same process tomorrow!😎

Wednesday,  we will head up to North Shore and have reservations to visit the lighthouse as Barb has never seen it. So many things now require advanced reservations. We have been owners here since 2007 so there are very few things we have not seen or done. Enjoying the venue and Island is enough.

Have a great week everyone. Mahalo!

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 25

Good morning, Dailyites.  I was happy to see Jacqui posting again.  I hope and pray for everyone, that things start to get a little better, in the whole world.  

Pat is golfing, I went to our exercise group and now I'm doing laundry.  It is pretty dreary out, but there's a tiny bit of blue sky over the Olympics.  Yesterday we had hail.  What a crazy place.  I have the Monday blues, also I need a haircut, and that always makes me depressed!  Now it's raining...

Only two dam ships waiting for passengers, that is great.  We discussed our testing for our cruise in July and have decided to spend our last night in England at a hotel at Heathrow.  That way we can get the test and still check in by 9:45 for our 12:45 flight to Copenhagen.  Pat had been very fussed that we would be driving to the airport the morning of, during rush hour.   So now we will only have six nights in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames.  I'm looking forward to some lovely walks along the river.

IMG_5561.thumb.JPG.b414fe8b2191f85f64c69b3d783d3f53.JPG

IMG_5527.thumb.JPG.cfdf3a56212ff21721249f04713ced56.JPG

P1060168.thumb.JPG.7f56601f58fa66e4dfe52b65c02c835c.JPG

P1060163.thumb.JPG.24fb61a7809a4b177bd8413aa13b649f.JPG

Haven't been to Abu Dhabi, so these are in place of!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

My sincere thanks to you all.  God bless you for your caring, support and patience.  I am on a new journey now and while things will be difficult I will try to post on the Daily every day 🤞 

We are all thrilled to hear from you, Jacqui.  We look forward to your future posts and are always here for you to lean on when you need us.  I am reminded of that parable about the footprints in the sand and the fact that we all need to be lifted up and carried at one point or another.  We are honored to do it for you when you need us.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Looks like we will have a mostly dry day for a change, so I will be able to do some yard work.  Need to take care of the bare patches in the lawn with some seed and fertilizer mix I bought last week.

Late yesterday I responded to the Daily with an error.  @Quartzsite CruiserLenda mentioned the date of a picture was 1963 and I was sure the car in the background was a 1965.  She gently corrected me that Impalas from 1962 to 1965 all had the same look in the rear.  She is correct.

Ray

Ray, thank you for that gracious reply.

Lenda

• Like 18

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Funny and serious days. I've not had that issue with socks that I hear about. My current mattress has a sewn on tag. Women tend to think of others first, but should think of themselves and get check-ups.

A sweet quote. The meal sounds good. I'll pass on the drink, but take the wine.

I haven't been to Abu Dhabi. 

It's sunny and warming up here. I decided yesterday afternoon to mow the lawn, since it wasn't too hot. My was the grass tall! It was a tough job. I guess all the rain and the fertilization was the culprit.

@kazu Good to "see" you back. Thank you for sharing with us; and for translating your comments at Jose's service as well as sharing the notes with the flowers. Prayers for comfort in the time to come.

@cat shepard Welcome home. I'm glad you had some help with all you had to do.

@ottahand7 Nice photo!

@kochleffel Quite the busy weekend. I'm glad the concert went well. Thanks for the recipe.

@ger_77 How frustrating with the patio set. I don't mind assembling things, but hate when holes and screws don't match up! I have a teak bench I'm eyeing for my porch and hope that doesn't happen.

@grapau27 Thanks for the videos.

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good morning on the wet Oregon coast.  Will try to get a walk in this afternoon!  Not holding my breath.

So good to see your  post Jacqui.  Take care of yourself .  You have great support here on the Daily.

Thank you to all who post and keep us informed.

Prayers for all even if not on the care list.

Many cheers to those celebrating.

Have an awesome day everyone.

• Like 23

@kazuIt is wonderful to see you post again. I pray that posting might prove to be therapeutic for you. Many of us here have walked in those shoes and the journey is long and difficult. Any time you feel the need to cry there are many shoulders here to cry on.

I found that having a formal Grief Share or Grief Recovery Group was very helpful. If you have such a program in your area, whether sponsored by church or hospice please consider attending.

God be with you

Jane 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Jacques Bourguignon 2020 Pinot Noir

I hope I’m not stepping on anyone’s toes…I looked it up so I thought I’d post what I found out.  

This wine is number 28 out of 100 in the top 100 Best Buy’s according to the Wine Enthusiast with a rating of 90 points and only $12.  

Bright cherry and currant form the nose of this wine. The palate is fruit forward and packed with acidity. Red plum and blackberry are ripe and easy. Lightly powdery tannins lead to a cranberry finish. 

I’m definitely going to try it.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks all!  Happy to see Jacqui posting when she feels able.   Thankful for our little supportive community  and that we can help support each other through major loss and daily life.     

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites.  I was happy to see Jacqui posting again.  I hope and pray for everyone, that things start to get a little better, in the whole world.  

Pat is golfing, I went to our exercise group and now I'm doing laundry.  It is pretty dreary out, but there's a tiny bit of blue sky over the Olympics.  Yesterday we had hail.  What a crazy place.  I have the Monday blues, also I need a haircut, and that always makes me depressed!  Now it's raining...

Only two dam ships waiting for passengers, that is great.  We discussed our testing for our cruise in July and have decided to spend our last night in England at a hotel at Heathrow.  That way we can get the test and still check in by 9:45 for our 12:45 flight to Copenhagen.  Pat had been very fussed that we would be driving to the airport the morning of, during rush hour.   So now we will only have six nights in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames.  I'm looking forward to some lovely walks along the river.

IMG_5561.thumb.JPG.b414fe8b2191f85f64c69b3d783d3f53.JPG

IMG_5527.thumb.JPG.cfdf3a56212ff21721249f04713ced56.JPG

P1060168.thumb.JPG.7f56601f58fa66e4dfe52b65c02c835c.JPG

P1060163.thumb.JPG.24fb61a7809a4b177bd8413aa13b649f.JPG

Haven't been to Abu Dhabi, so these are in place of!

We’ve stayed often at Heathrow for this very reason.  It’s very easy to visit nearby Windsor by bus or taxi, Or even Winchester cathedral.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

We are all thrilled to hear from you, Jacqui.  We look forward to your future posts and are always here for you to lean on when you need us.  I am reminded of that parable about the footprints in the sand and the fact that we all need to be lifted up and carried at one point or another.  We are honored to do it for you when you need us.  

I love that poem, it helped my mother a lot when my brother died, to the extent both my children had tattoos done of it after she died.  

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Ray, thank you for that gracious reply.

Lenda

Isn’t  it lovely that we can have such positive interactions!

57 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

@kazuIt is wonderful to see you post again. I pray that posting might prove to be therapeutic for you. Many of us here have walked in those shoes and the journey is long and difficult. Any time you feel the need to cry there are many shoulders here to cry on.

I found that having a formal Grief Share or Grief Recovery Group was very helpful. If you have such a program in your area, whether sponsored by church or hospice please consider attending.

God be with you

Jane 

Agree that when a person is ready this may be helpful.  I worked for years with teens who lost parents, and really it is loss that we don’t often talk about.  Politics, sex and religion we do, but not grief.  

Another snow day here!  Stay safe everyone!

13EC98D2-6E2F-4CC6-AD8A-0D156E32BBCC.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good evening from Ireland.  The sun has peeked out from behind the clouds.  We have had a 'soft' day (i.e. continual rain 😢

Oosterdam is on day two of her 'maiden' Med cruise for 2022 and today is Silver Gala Dinner Menu. The MDR staff have been thrown into that pretty fast!  (Reason I know this is my Navigator App is now updating menus on her current cruise).

Wonderful to see @kazu posting again.  

Stay well everyone 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2