The Daily for Monday 05/23/2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

I am getting frustrated with HAL--can't do anything on their website.  Would like to investigate some shore excursions, but have been trying to do so for almost a week - late at night and early in the morning, but no luck!

Try using this link: Shore excursions and engaging travel experiences with Holland America Line

Then scroll down a little and select the appropriate "Sail To" destination and "Ports of call" destinations. It should provide a description and prices for all of the excursions at those locations. They may not all be available on any individual cruise.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning, Everyone.  Happy Victoria Day to our Canadian friends.

The strawberry salad today looks wonderful for a summer meal.  It’s actually chilly and damp here in San Diego, though.  We know that heat is coming.

We’ll have a quiet day as we are in the covid doghouse— DH has it; I do not.  🤷‍♀️

Thanks for the Daily.  Wishing all a good Monday.

3EFC8C6A-ACAE-4E6C-B44B-C4363424A93A.thumb.jpeg.24cd1de92888bb05f9c2260958536b87.jpeg

Sorry to hear your husband has Covid.

I hope he only has mild symptoms and you avoid catching it from him.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, just a shout-out to let you know I have completed our ArriveCAN and got the receipt (QR code).

One more thing off the list — 9:00am tomorrow is rapid antigen test at an urgent care, Wednesday am we pick up the rental car and take off for FLL 🥳

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, just a shout-out to let you know I have completed our ArriveCAN and got the receipt (QR code).

One more thing off the list — 9:00am tomorrow is rapid antigen test at an urgent care, Wednesday am we pick up the rental car and take off for FLL 🥳

Thanks for the reminder.  I just signed into my account and got as far as which terminal or marina in Halifax and came to a complete stop.  Is it the marine terminal or waterfront marina?

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Vanessa, is 143 Day a fairly recent celebration?  I don't remember it from when we lived in PA from 1980 to 1985.  Sorry you're going to have to have the roof replaced.  A word of warning, no matter how well the roofers clean up when they are finished, you will probably be finding roofing nails for quite some time.

Lenda

Yes, it's only been celebrated since 2019.

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The first new leaf Botanical prints of the season. I’m completely in love with the vintage silk top. I want to keep it, but it is a Size 6, and I am not. 😔

3DF2EB9A-D53B-4856-B8F7-326FDCA14D0C.thumb.jpeg.d7c77f4b09045f77cf87d924f7364346.jpeg

Beautiful pieces! You should be so proud of your work.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for the reminder.  I just signed into my account and got as far as which terminal or marina in Halifax and came to a complete stop.  Is it the marine terminal or waterfront marina?

Sandi,

I did Marine Terminal…hope it’s right 🤞

• Like 9

It is interesting that today's port is Sasebo, Japan.  It is also kind of confusing, as Sasebo is in Nagasaki Prefecture and its capital city, Nagasaki is about 40 miles from Sasebo.  Our upcoming cruise on the Westerdam shows us in Nagasaki on 30 March, 2023.  I spent many months in Sasebo in the 1970s as it was and is a major U.S. Navy base in Japan, shared with the Japanese Self Defense Force Navy.  It looks like Carnival Corp. started building a cruise port there a few years ago which was supposed to be completed in 2020 and are calling it the Nagasaki Cruise Port.  There is also a major ship building facility in Sasebo.  So we shall see if and when we arrive there next year.

Ray

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

Sandi,

I did Marine Terminal…hope it’s right 🤞

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I finally did the same, and have a QR code.  Thanks!

You're both right.  We all got our ArriveCan approvals the same day.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, JAM37 said:

@cat shepard here is my email address: jamccullar@gmail.com let me know when you feel like meeting. @cunnorl you do the same. Hopefully we can all meet together at some point.

Thank you Julia!

I know there was someone else, I think near Ocala who was interested in joining us, so I hope she shares an email address with one of us. Mine is: annge3@gmail.com

@cunnorl I come up for air just a bit before you do, so your timing works for me. Between now and June 12th, I have three birthday celebrations, a graduation ceremony & it’s related party on two different days, and an anniversary celebration. 

Julia, I am now going to take this to email.  Feel free to forward any of my messages to Charlene. 

A very happy Ann. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I heard from @sailingdutchythat they survived the big storm, just a few trees down on their property.  I think he'll be out cutting firewood for a while!  

Yes you are right Ann , I can not remember a storm like that hitting us here , we lost quite a few trees in our woods , huge maple , beech and oak trees 70 or 80 years old and yes I will have lots of firewood for the next few years or maybe I can start a new business .......... it really was a scary 10 or 15 minutes to see trees all around us bending to their limit , losing their crowns or dropping all together  with roots and all .

Happy Victoria Day  @VictOriann in Victoria  !  Tell Pat to take it easy with the fireworks  ! 

Tony 😍

• Like 15

i-quit-cat-meme.jpg

I talked with my original manager today, after steaming and fuming all weekend (wasted amount of time and energy.)  Bring on that serenity prayer, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.  I told him, that job part two was not a good fit.  I know that I really wanted it, that I knew the clients, the area, the way that they live (after 5 months of working there last year...by there, I mean on the phone with them. What the shows were, what the hall was like, a perfect match until they threw in the new manager.)  So many things wrong there.  I couldn't change her, but I could change my situation.  I called job 1, asked how many hours can she offer me, then called the senior boss, who told me to send boss 2 a note that I was needed on another campaign next week, and couldn't work for her.  I don't know what the senior boss told her boss, but she is looking for a replacement for me.  He,  on the other hand who told me to send her a note, texted me and told me to hold off, that things were going to be changed.  I told him that I had already sent her the note, but only told her a week, nothing more.  That I would know more later in the week.  He said OK.  But I think they are about to move her elsewhere.

Yes, it's a significant drop in pay, but I sort of get my life back.  I get my happy place back.  So starting next Tuesday, one job, terrible hours, great boss.  I can live with that.

when-you-finally-decide-to-quit-your-job-and-follow-27627482.png

Tomorrow is a weird anniversary of sorts.  When covid became a reality, and I was stuck at home, I decided after watching way too many shows on English gardening, that i would create a garden on the back patio, filling lots of pots with beautiful plants.  Something I could water easily and make the back yard pretty.  At the same time, we were getting a new roof put on, and DH was cutting limbs away from the roof.  I was pulling the limbs to the side of the outdoor table.  We worked all day long, me filling some pots with dirt, moving the limbs, sweeping up as we went.  And then around 5 while getting the hose to water, I tripped over the logs, and face planted on the cement.

Having had a previous fall three years before, and tearing both rotator cuffs in my shoulders, I knew not to put my hands out in front of me to stop the fall. I attempted to curl in a ball, this didn't happen, and my face and elbows took the brunt of the fall.  As it was a Friday, and I thought the only thing I broke was my nose, I held off going to the emergency room until Saturday morning.  Couldn't move my left arm at all.  After an MRI and many xrays, the doc said the good news is, you didn't break your nose.  You did break your elbow.  We cant find the tip of your elbow.  I think I know where it is I said, and pointed to a large knot in my arm, on the other side of the arm.  Yup.  So tomorrow is my two year anniversary date of my surgery.  I was told last year when I saw the doc, that I had about 85-90 percent of the arm back, but that was going to be it.  My arm does not like cold, or moist, or being in the sun (it's like the screws holding me together heat up).  I think that this anniversary, the loss of being whole and able bodied, has had me upset over the last two weeks.  I think too, that I am lonely, and tired of being in this house.  Gosh I miss sitting in the condo in FL....

Any way, I quit the job I hated, will work for the decent boss, who can give me hours for two weeks to make up for what I am losing, and will try to place me somewhere else if she can, and I will try to be happy again.  Right?  Right!

oh, and so true about the roofing nails, it's been two years, and after heavy rains? I'm still finding them in the driveway.  I go out after every heavy rain, and check so that we dont get flat tires.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

@marshhawk You are making positive moves.  The money certainly isn't worth the stress of the second job. 

@sailingdutchy That storm sounds really scary.  

@rafinmd I am sorry for the loss of your friend.  

@Horizon chaser 1957 Your printing project is beautiful.  I would want the blouse as well, but like you, I am no size 6.

@JazzyV Happy 143 day to you!

I did stop at the store today and bought some strawberries and put them in my grilled chicken salad for lunch.  It wasn't a cobb salad, but they were sure good!  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

@57redbird I am the one everyone hates.  I am a telemarketer for the arts.  I call patrons to get them to renew and support their symphony,  their local art museum, children's museums, theatres, Hollywood Bowl...each season I am on the phones with a new campaign, staring at my blank wall,  calling people to try to bring them back to what they once loved.   However, we are still living in the time of Covid.  People are either scared to come back, or they are eager to return, but most of the time, they don't answer the phone.  I currently am calling for the Arizona Opera.  That's the gig I'm keeping.  I used to have opera tickets, but that was to keep the DH happy.  Sorry, not a big fan.  But I think that was because it was so expensive, the only seats i could pay for were way in the back, and I couldn't tell if it was a contralto singing, or a tenor, or an alto.  I think I missed a lot of the story line....But, I do feel that the art form is important.  And that is why I do it.  It's a good job for part time, when you retire.  

I was forced into retirement at age 65, because the symphony where I worked for 15 years, sold the Box Office, and their ticketing to ticketmaster and they laid off all the employees who worked full time, or who had been with the company for more than 10 years.  

Before that I ran a garden center, where I played classical music all day, and the flowers loved me.  I taught people how to design and build ponds.

Music has always been a big part of my life.  It's important to keep a commitment to different forms of music, so that future  generations will have it for years to come.

• Like 17