Odyssey: A lesson in contradiction

Host Dan

1 minute ago, saminina said:

Have been on for eight days.   Always access to CC.  I've never been so happy to get off a ship.   

Some satisfactory aspects, but too many unSeabournish things.   That, plus government induced aggravations wear on me.  

Thank you for your comments.  Could you please expand on your reasons for being so happy to get off the ship?  In particular, what were the problems on SB rather than what the government induced aggravations were.  Thank you.

Disappointed to hear there are still issues, especially with the “new crew”.
we were on the first sailing out of Aruba after dry dock where they were all truly “new”.  Many, many things not done in dry dock.  The crew was obviously getting used to each other.  Now several weeks later, this is still happening.

we board this same ship in 2 months for a 14 day Alaska cruise and have some anxiety about that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LMB01 said:

we board this same ship in 2 months for a 14 day Alaska cruise and have some anxiety about that

We board tomorrow for the same.  I would prefer to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than vice versa.  This board has certainly adjusted my expectations downward.  This will be our first time on Seabourn, so future bookings hang in the balance.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

This will be our first time on Seabourn

Would love to hear about your experience, either good or bad.  Seabourn IMHO has shown ability to change things based on customer feedback, and your “fresh eyes” can highlight things that get overlooked by people not new to the line.  Bon voyage!

• Like 4

These negative comments are very disappointing to read but important to post. We also are booked for a week in July in Alaska on Odyssey. There should be no need for low expectations at the price we pay. We were last on Odyssey a few months ago and had a really good cruise. What the heck is going on currently with the food? And the sad condition of parts of the ship - especially after drydock! It is completely unacceptable to block anyone's comments to CruiseCritic.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SusieQft said:

We board tomorrow for the same.  I would prefer to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than vice versa.  This board has certainly adjusted my expectations downward.  This will be our first time on Seabourn, so future bookings hang in the balance.

SusieQft I understand your approach of going in with low expectations given these recent reports, but I hope your intro to Seabourn will be wonderful.  Crystal and Seabourn have been our favourite cruise lines and we enjoyed both for different reasons.  When we lost Crystal, we were unhappy but felt OK since we still had Seabourn.  We haven't been on Seabourn since 2019 and I'm dismayed to read so much has slipped since then.  Truth be told, we've been considering a 14-day Alaska itinerary for later this summer but we're now holding off booking until we see how the season progresses.  I look forward to hearing your impressions.  Best wishes for a wonderful cruise!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

We haven't been on Seabourn since 2019 and I'm dismayed to read so much has slipped since then.

Rotation of staff can result in short-term changes (either good and bad). We've been on two Seabourn Odyssey cruises in the past year, the most recent less than three months ago, and we did not find things had slipped. To the contrary, food and service was wonderful, even magical because the ships were so much less than full. I'm not a cheerleader and I'm not contradicting the less-than-positive experiences some have shared here — I'm just noting people haven't been having uniformly negative experiences.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In my experience the quality of work at a dry Dock is related as to where the dry Dock occurred. Horror stories on request:😁

Our  company policy was never EVER to change too many senior officers at any one time. e.g. The Master and Chief Officer would be relieved at separate times ... if convenient the Master and 2/O would change, and a month or so later the C/O & 3/O would go ....continuity where ever possible.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 6:30 AM, Host Dan said:

There is a lot more to report, and I'll try to answer any questions anyone might have.

Host Dan, thanks so much for sharing your observations, both good and less so.  I know you have many days onboard Seabourn ships, so I'm curious how your recent experience has influenced your overall view.  Would you sail with Seabourn again?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

Host Dan, thanks so much for sharing your observations, both good and less so.  I know you have many days onboard Seabourn ships, so I'm curious how your recent experience has influenced your overall view.  Would you sail with Seabourn again?

Yes I would.  I'm hoping this was not the new normal!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

We have done three cruises since the pandemic.

1) Crystal Endeavor to Antarctica - our first Crystal voyage since the 1990s. It was fantastic. Service, food, the vessel, everything. We are sad to see Crystal go under 😞

2) Regent Seven Seas Splendor to Caribbean - our first Regent cruise and our last. Not memorable. Lackluster food, lackluster service. But beautiful Grand Suite.

3) Seabourn Ovation to Canary Islands - our second Seabourn voyage. Last was January 2020 to NZ on Endeavor. Both voyages were great. Excellent service and food.

I think our takeaway from reading the boards is everyone has a different experience. Our views on Regent seem to be an outlier. And perhaps so are our views on Seabourn. Is there room for improvement? Definitely.

We look forward to trying Venture in August and Ponant’s Le Commandant Charcot next summer. We also want to give Silversea a go.

Hopefully Seabourn corrects these current issues CC members are encountering.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was on the 33-day voyage from Aruba to LA. Some observations:

I was surprised that coming off dry dock, the ship didn't look brightly painted. I heard (rumor) that the dry dock was to make the Colonnade more available for service rather than buffet at night.?? But I never saw garbage or any indication that staff wasn't trying to keep this "old lady" clean.

I complained about a shore excursion: on the return, people got on the first bus they saw, so headcount was iffy. I got a personal call from Chris. I wondered why there could not have been a Seabourn rep on the shorex to manage the logistics. That's been the case in the past. She said they don't have enough reps to go around. I guess it's like, since Covid, no hosted dinners with crew, only guest entertainers. There was an effort to minimize contact between crew and passengers. That said, the crew was fabulous: helpful, friendly, accommodating. But it was obvious there were positive cases on board among the crew since suite attendants might change. So, considering how many were new to the ship, and had to change responsibilities, they tried their best. Covid positivity also affected the entertainment schedule.

I agree that the food was not spectacular. But trying to find a middle ground between those who are happy with a steak and pots, and those expecting "gourmet", is difficult. There were always several options at The Restaurant. I had never had dinner at the Colonnade on previous voyages, but the theme night and TK dinners made a nice change (I just don't like buffets at night).

The complaint about the self-service laundry makes me wonder if the poster knew about "the $50 bag" - what a deal.

I will be on Encore for 21 days in September. I do love that bar in the TKG! And the sushi option

I know there have been several negative comments on this post. Please don't let that keep you from trying or returning to Seabourn. Many of the complaints can be related to Covid-recovery - or sailing as we may have to be accustomed to.  And BTW, I posted to Cruise Critic during my cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 5/27/2022 at 7:01 AM, MBP&O2/O said:

In my experience the quality of work at a dry Dock is related as to where the dry Dock occurred. Horror stories on request:😁

Our  company policy was never EVER to change too many senior officers at any one time. e.g. The Master and Chief Officer would be relieved at separate times ... if convenient the Master and 2/O would change, and a month or so later the C/O & 3/O would go ....continuity where ever possible.

"Horror stories on request"?  I will make such a request.  Not surprised, however, that where the work is done might make a difference.  Where the ship was built will also make a difference in my experience as a guest.

If I have learned nothing else during my cruising career, there are two overriding things that have an important influence on, at least, my cruise experience.

#1:  the senior management of the ship.  Captain, Hotel Director, etc. set the tone for the rest of the ship's company.  If the senior management is "people oriented/guest oriented/(and I assume crew oriented)", that creates an atmosphere that encourages crew to do their best for their guests.  It helps to make for a "Happy Ship".  

#2:  How does the crew feel about their working environment?  My most disappointing cruise was a TA on QE2 when there were labor issues aboard.  I have detailed my experiences on other threads on CC, so I won't repeat them.  But, if the crew isn't happy, the guests will suffer.  

With the recent disappointing news aboard this Seabourn ship, I am wondering why I might want to spend significant sums to sail on one of their ships?  

Edited by rkacruiser

5 hours ago, Mahogany said:

The complaint about the self-service laundry makes me wonder if the poster knew about "the $50 bag" - what a deal.

I

You know these ships originally had no design for a self serve laundry.   Installed after consumer feedback with cheap equipment.     People use it for different reasons and competing companies have more, much better equipped facilities.   Other companies do not charge for same day service versus standard two day on SB.    A $50 bag is no deal for a person that has free laundry.   

• Like 1

I have sailed with Seabourn for the last 16 years and every year I read that thing are going down hill , but every cruise we have been on has been superb . We were on the Oddyssey in January and thought the food was the best we had ever had. So unless things have changed in the last couple of months , which I doubt, those due to sail soon go with a positive attitude and do not listen too much to the doom laden criticism

It is not what goes wrong , nothing is always perfect, but what they do to correct things.

11 hours ago, dalliowner said:

I have sailed with Seabourn for the last 16 years and every year I read that thing are going down hill , but every cruise we have been on has been superb . We were on the Oddyssey in January and thought the food was the best we had ever had. So unless things have changed in the last couple of months , which I doubt, those due to sail soon go with a positive attitude and do not listen too much to the doom laden criticism

It is not what goes wrong , nothing is always perfect, but what they do to correct things.

I hope I'm not bundled in with guests with doom Laden criticism.  As most of you know, I've been labeled A cheerleader in the past.  I too have been sailing Seabourn for 24 years, am a diamond member (love the free laundry).  I would have agreed with your assessment, had I not been onboard those 3 weeks.  I found the service, for the most part, wonderful.  (Thanks Goren, Carolina, Kelvin, Paul, just to name a few).  The hotel director, Jan, the CD, and Le Roux van Dyk, the Guest Services Manager were stellar for making my scattering of ashes ceremony so special).  But, surprisingly enough, the flaws and inconsistencies were boiled down to the ships condition, and the mediocre food.  It seemed like nothing was cooked to order (dinner wise), and would come out on ice cold plates.  I expect this on the mass market lines.  So yes, after all my years sailing, this voyage was a surprise.  I hope dalliowner never experiences this, from my favorite cruise!ine.  Also, sadly, this was the first time I ever heard SB newbies state how disappointed they were, and that they would never sail SB again, given the fare paid.  

Like I said before, I will continue sailing SB, as long as this is not the new normal for SB.

• Like 2

Filled out the after cruise survey and it reads like a string of contradictions.   Dan's comments on food and ship conditions match my experience and was spelled out on survey.   Close to the last survey question had something to do with value received.   It was a good value on paper.  We paid for a five day cruise a couple years ago.   After cancellations and revised itinerary we boarded for eight days.  But, I was ready to deplane after two days.   After sailing Silver Moon, the SB ships feel so dated.   Very, very few crew members on board with recognizable faces.   Many in the not ready for prime time category.   Caviar and pizza not anything close to previous SB sailings.  Being served cold eggs in restaurant.  The list goes on and on.   Over seven hundred days with SB, so it's not like not knowing the product.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2022 at 12:16 AM, saminina said:

Have been on for eight days.   Always access to CC.  I've never been so happy to get off a ship.   

Some satisfactory aspects, but too many unSeabournish things.   That, plus government induced aggravations wear on me.  

DH and I are booked on SB this fall, to use up our FCCs from 2020 which otherwise expire

May I ask what was the worst aspect of being on board a SB ship, so I can anticipate something worse and then be pleasantly surprised when it is better than expected?  🙂

What bothers me will not necessarily affect another person.  Part of my problem is watching a favorite anything decline.   I've said what I have to say in post #45 and a few others.   I do believe recent experiences are the new normal.

9 hours ago, Host Dan said:

The hotel director, Jan, the CD, and Le Roux van Dyk, the Guest Services Manager 

5 hours ago, saminina said:

Being served cold eggs in restaurant.

Did you voice your concerns to the Hotel Director and the Guest Services Manager?  

45 minutes ago, saminina said:

I do believe recent experiences are the new normal.

I think we need to give all the cruise lines a bit of slack. They are struggling to get back to their pre-pandemic quality with staff shortages, undertrained crew and ships that have had limited maintenance for two years. It will take some time, but I am convinced they will get there. I have cruised with Regent and Silversea in the past 6 months and there were shortcomings on both. If you are expecting quality like it was before covid, do not cruise right now. If you are willing to excuse some slippage, book now and help the recovery