The Daily for Friday 05/27/2022

richwmn

34 minutes ago, richwmn said:

At the time the Covid shutdown I had been doing the “Fleet Report” for over a year. Since the ships were not sailing with passenger, there was discussion about stopping the thread. That is when it changed to “The Daily” and slowly became what it is currently

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

To all on our Daily. 
Back at the time our fleet report was just a few who loved knowing where our  BHB were around the world!! I also was on board back then and Rich talked with me in regards to trying to keep it going now that the ships were dead in the water!! He came up with The Daily and from there it flourished!! I too can say this is a place where I don’t know about all of you but I have come to know so many wonderful people and have learned sooooo much!

Please remember this is a bright spot for so many

that maybe have very few people in their lives during our Covid times and this is sanctuary. I have not posted for a long time but do come here and enjoy reading!!

I was concerned With all my sketches and paintings I would show on board here showing that I also was taking up a lot of space! LOL

Over 2 plus years here and so many things in all of your lives have happened good and 😔 sad! Please let this be a place for refugee for ones who need to speak and a place for celebrating!! I miss so many of you and am happy to know all of you!!

You all know who you are that made a big impression in my life and became my Daily family.

Doing alot of painting and redoing landscaping here in Maui and will be back home in San Diego after July!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Sincerely

Denise 😊 Mahalo

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I feel that I need to comment on one of the currents this thread has had today.

Starting with the predecessor “Fleet Report”, a version of this thread has been going on for somewhere around 10 years with the exception of about 5 months. Lisa ( @LAFFNVEGAS) can pop in if she wants and verify the start. At the time the Covid shutdown I had been doing the “Fleet Report” for over a year. Since the ships were not sailing with passenger, there was discussion about stopping the thread. That is when it changed to “The Daily” and slowly became what it is currently. Each daily thread generally has over 2,000 views and up to about 150 responses (normally around 100).

Personally, I don’t think that thread drift can apply to this thread. This is always a general discussion of many topics, not just the ones I start with. Everyone is encouraged to talk about anything and everything. I know that some feathers have become ruffled, but that will always be the case with any group as large as this has become.

I feel that some members look at this thread each day, but have yet to comment. I hope that at some point they will feel comfortable enough to stick their toes in the water.

For the future, the basic information for each day is already done for the rest of this year. I have started putting together next year, but I am going to need some help. First, many of you know I am scheduled to be on the World Cruise next year. Because of time zones and internet availability it will be difficult for me to post the information at a consistent time each day. The information will be available on halfacts dot com each day for someone to cut and paste.

In addition, I would welcome suggestions for major days to highlight (like Memorial Day, Easter, Christmas) and any meals, drinks, activities associated with that day. My plan for next year is to have the “port of the day” be a port that a BHB is actually stopped at that day. For January – May it will be the location of the World Cruise unless Zuiderdam is at sea, then Grand Africa or something else.

Rich, if you need a break/some relief during your GWV next year, get a hold of me 😉 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I for one would hate to see the Daily come to an end.  As I've said before, when I first joined the Daily it became a lifeline during a very trying and uncertain time.  Since then, I've found a "family" here and a refuge from what was and is going on in the world at large.  

Like all families, we've had our ups and downs, but have managed to overcome them.  If we try, we can overcome this latest upheaval.  

@kazu  Jacqui, it has been a pleasure to see your posts and to get to know you.  I know you are going through a extremely difficult time, and we're here to support you any way we can.  Please, take sometime for yourself and also consider what you mean to all of us on the Daily.    

I sincerely hope you will reconsider and continue to be a part of this unquine and supportive thread on CC.

If you still feel you need to leave, please know we will miss you and wish you well in  the future.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

30 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

You have done a stalwart job keeping us going over this terrible time, Rich.  When Westerdam comes back into service next month and all the dam ships are sailing again perhaps it will be time to go back to the Fleet Report, and give you a well-deserved break!

Thanks! The Daily will continue in its current form thru the end of the year. The collection of information is already done and it is basically a verification of where the ships are followed by a 'cut & paste'. I expect to have most of the same information for next year within a couple of weeks.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 10

16 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I for one would hate to see the Daily come to an end.  As I've said before, when I first joined the Daily it became a lifeline during a very trying and uncertain time.  Since then, I've found a "family" here and a refuge from what was and is going on in the world at large.  

Like all families, we've had our ups and downs, but have managed to overcome them.  If we try, we can overcome this latest upheaval.  

@kazu  Jacqui, it has been a pleasure to see your posts and to get to know you.  I know you are going through a extremely difficult time, and we're here to support you any way we can.  Please, take sometime for yourself and also consider what you mean to all of us on the Daily.    

I sincerely hope you will reconsider and continue to be a part of this unquine and supportive thread on CC.

If you still feel you need to leave, please know we will miss you and wish you well in  the future.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda,very well said. @kazu,Jacqui,I hope you continue to post when  you feel able.

I am one who found a refuge and safe place here.I lately don't  have much to say that isn't  downright  depressing and I am very aware of that. I am sorry but the present reality is difficult.

Anyway I hope things can be smoothed out amongst us. 

Take care everyone 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

54 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The Daily was my salvation when we were all secluded in our homes.  Those of us who live alone needed a lifeline and the Daily filled that need.  Bless all of you, no matter how much or how little you post.  A very special thanks to Rich for getting this going and providing us with a home and family.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

@kazuJacqui, at least from me, you get a full pass on whatever you say.  If you're crabby, go for it.  Sometimes it's a lot better to feel mad than sad

Thanks but this is a sad day - faliing into a deep hole and hoping I hit rock bottom soon so I can try to climb out.  I have discovered two things - at the funeral when Dr. Chapman talked about Jose’s technological challenge (think you can all guess who his “secretary” was)  - I discovered you can laugh and sob at the same time.

You can also be crying your eyes out and vent at the same time although, in retrospect, not sure if I would recommend it.  😉 

Stay safe all and hug our loved ones.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 14

This week it seems like everybody had their post toasties peed on.  I felt like i was visiting a Carnival thread.  You have all become in the last five months a family to me, that I care deeply for.  I get news about the weather and food from over seas, and a weekly sermon every week, so thank you @grapau27 for broadening my spiritual and hungry side of me.

@kazubrings me laughter with her memes, in spite of the hole you are feeling emotionally now, you still bring the rest of us up.  hugs and a smooch to you.

@dfishkeeps me fed.

@bennybearyour bird pictures and wildlife pics are fantastic

@smitty34877tries the recipes, and gives me hope that i may actually learn to cook...or not.

@ger_77always says what is on the menu each night, and I really want to go live in her house,, and eat.  😸

@StLouisCruiserstravels the entire world!  and I get to see pictures of places I never even imagined going to

Rich and Roy provide us with great ideas to think about, and discuss.

I cant mention you all here, but you get the idea.  Each of you are special in your own way.  Each of you bring something to the Daily table.  Some times its the bread, sometimes, its the meat and veggies, and sometimes it's just the bottle of Ketchup.  I don't want any of you to leave me.  Then I would have to start the "keep marshhawk happy" thread, and it would just be filled with cat memes.🙀

So, if you are ticked off about something, take a deep breath, and remember, be kind and gentle to others, you dont know what they go through when they are not here in what was a very safe place.

my-guardian-angel-was-young-energetic-when-we-first-4554105.png

always-be-compassionate-and-always-be-kind-you-never-know-9729098.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 5

43 minutes ago, dfish said:

The Daily was my salvation when we were all secluded in our homes.  Those of us who live alone needed a lifeline and the Daily filled that need.  Bless all of you, no matter how much or how little you post.  A very special thanks to Rich for getting this going and providing us with a home and family.  

My sentiments as well. Living alone, the Daily was/is a pleasant place to visit and meet others, expand my horizons, and just enjoy community. Not all is shared here and we don't know what others may be going through in silence, so we should treat each other gently and with kindness.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

@marshhawk  I think you (and others) have beautifully described what a family is and we have become a virtual family and part of that is accepting each other's strengths and weaknesses.  I know there are things on the Daily that frustrate me but also know that pretty much all of these things are very pleasing and helpful to many other members of the family and to me that makes it all worthwhile.

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Gee, i am all ready to post.  It is after 10 pm at night and after reading all these posts, I just don’t know what to write.

I am so sorry so many people are having issues with other people’s posts. 

For me this is a happy positive place.  I cry with you and I rejoice with you.  

So many of us have been through so much in the past two years and I was so happy to find a place where we all feel comfortable to share how we feel on any particular day, whether it be good or bad.

i pray for each and every one of you every day.

i have been so grateful for your prayers for me and my husband through our time of loss of his brother and also through our ordeal with Covid on our last cruise.

You people kept me going.

i was about to post about the last two days.

For some reason, yesterday was a horrible day.  I was barely able to move, let alone walk.  i had no idea why.  i was in tears most of the day.  I needed help with everything.  Even getting dressed.  Just before getting ready for bed I realized I had not taken my medication.  i decided to take it, as late as it was.

i had the best nights sleep I had in ages.  i woke up this morning like a different person.  I took my medication, and I was able to do whatever I wanted.  i can’t figure it out.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

i am grateful for each and every one of you.  You cry with me and laugh with me.

You are my positive place every single day.

Please do not let this fall apart.  We are all important to each other.

And I will leave you with that.

God Bless each and every one of you.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 4

An interesting thread today. Thanks to Rich @richwmn for the Daily and to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration lists.

We have been reading "The Fleet Locations" since Lisa began the threads.  On one of our cruises the Hotel Manager  each day listed the Fleet Locations on a little stand at the Front Desk and in the Neptune Lounge, which we appreciated.......would call into the lounge to check the list before going to breakfast!.

@bennybear I completely understand your comments today,. been busy, but have been reading each day.

A few weeks ago,  @kazu kindly posted how to multiquote, certainly makes for easier reading when posters are able do so.

It's a sunny Autumn Day, looking forward to seeing a BHB in our port during our summer.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

I read the Daily thread every day even though I seldom post. This thread and the people on it have been a comfort and one of my lifelines during the almost 2 years  of anxiety and distress. I would be devastated to lose it and all of you. Please stay!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

I'm sorry for being overly touchy. I thought that my elephant post might have been out of line because Corfu wasn't the port of the day and no one had mentioned elephants.

Background: I've been studying Greek on Duolingo, and the lessons have a strange preoccupation with elephants. I know how to ask the age of an elephant but not how to ask where the bus stop is, so I thought that elephants must roam everywhere in Greece.

• Like 15
  • Haha 7

Good grief, all! I haven’t seen this many ruffled feathers since the chicken truck tried going under a low bridge. Did someone slip us all decaf this morning?
Like so many, my Dailyite family has been my rock and kept me sane these past two years. This is my safe space. You are each and every one valued and appreciated regardless of the number or topic of comments.

@kochleffel no elephant post is ever out of line IMHO. I share your preoccupation. 
@kazu you can always vent here. If we can’t go with you into your dark place and rock bottom, we are still sitting at the entrance waiting for you when you come back out.

@grapau27please keep posting your pictures of your lovely wife with those delicious lunches she can somehow consume without gaining an ounce!
@everyone else - thank you for being here for me, and each other for the past two years, and I look forward to the same for the next two years.

See you in the morning!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, richwmn said:

I feel that I need to comment on one of the currents this thread has had today.

Starting with the predecessor “Fleet Report”, a version of this thread has been going on for somewhere around 10 years with the exception of about 5 months. Lisa ( @LAFFNVEGAS) can pop in if she wants and verify the start. At the time the Covid shutdown I had been doing the “Fleet Report” for over a year. Since the ships were not sailing with passenger, there was discussion about stopping the thread. That is when it changed to “The Daily” and slowly became what it is currently. Each daily thread generally has over 2,000 views and up to about 150 responses (normally around 100).

Personally, I don’t think that thread drift can apply to this thread. This is always a general discussion of many topics, not just the ones I start with. Everyone is encouraged to talk about anything and everything. I know that some feathers have become ruffled, but that will always be the case with any group as large as this has become.

I feel that some members look at this thread each day, but have yet to comment. I hope that at some point they will feel comfortable enough to stick their toes in the water.

For the future, the basic information for each day is already done for the rest of this year. I have started putting together next year, but I am going to need some help. First, many of you know I am scheduled to be on the World Cruise next year. Because of time zones and internet availability it will be difficult for me to post the information at a consistent time each day. The information will be available on halfacts dot com each day for someone to cut and paste.

In addition, I would welcome suggestions for major days to highlight (like Memorial Day, Easter, Christmas) and any meals, drinks, activities associated with that day. My plan for next year is to have the “port of the day” be a port that a BHB is actually stopped at that day. For January – May it will be the location of the World Cruise unless Zuiderdam is at sea, then Grand Africa or something else.

Thank you very much for your clarification Rich and for your excellent work every day in creating this wonderful thread.

Graham.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

I echo your sentiments.

The more people who post the better imo.

Pauline and I tend to keep ourselves to ourselves and don't participate in any social media except for me on Cruise Critic but we would be thrilled to speak to and meet any of the Dailyites.

I repeatedly say our much I love @kazumeme's and posts and will certainly miss them.

We have both lost our parents and still grieve over them years later but to lose your partner must be the worst feeling ever and I hope Jacqui knows we all love her and wish her well.

Graham.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks but this is a sad day - faliing into a deep hole and hoping I hit rock bottom soon so I can try to climb out.  I have discovered two things - at the funeral when Dr. Chapman talked about Jose’s technological challenge (think you can all guess who his “secretary” was)  - I discovered you can laugh and sob at the same time.

You can also be crying your eyes out and vent at the same time although, in retrospect, not sure if I would recommend it.  😉 

Stay safe all and hug our loved ones.

Sending our love and hugs to you Jacqui.

Graham and Pauline xx

• Like 7

8 hours ago, marshhawk said:

This week it seems like everybody had their post toasties peed on.  I felt like i was visiting a Carnival thread.  You have all become in the last five months a family to me, that I care deeply for.  I get news about the weather and food from over seas, and a weekly sermon every week, so thank you @grapau27 for broadening my spiritual and hungry side of me.

@kazubrings me laughter with her memes, in spite of the hole you are feeling emotionally now, you still bring the rest of us up.  hugs and a smooch to you.

@dfishkeeps me fed.

@bennybearyour bird pictures and wildlife pics are fantastic

@smitty34877tries the recipes, and gives me hope that i may actually learn to cook...or not.

@ger_77always says what is on the menu each night, and I really want to go live in her house,, and eat.  😸

@StLouisCruiserstravels the entire world!  and I get to see pictures of places I never even imagined going to

Rich and Roy provide us with great ideas to think about, and discuss.

I cant mention you all here, but you get the idea.  Each of you are special in your own way.  Each of you bring something to the Daily table.  Some times its the bread, sometimes, its the meat and veggies, and sometimes it's just the bottle of Ketchup.  I don't want any of you to leave me.  Then I would have to start the "keep marshhawk happy" thread, and it would just be filled with cat memes.🙀

So, if you are ticked off about something, take a deep breath, and remember, be kind and gentle to others, you dont know what they go through when they are not here in what was a very safe place.

my-guardian-angel-was-young-energetic-when-we-first-4554105.png

always-be-compassionate-and-always-be-kind-you-never-know-9729098.png

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

My sentiments as well. Living alone, the Daily was/is a pleasant place to visit and meet others, expand my horizons, and just enjoy community. Not all is shared here and we don't know what others may be going through in silence, so we should treat each other gently and with kindness.

7 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Gee, i am all ready to post.  It is after 10 pm at night and after reading all these posts, I just don’t know what to write.

I am so sorry so many people are having issues with other people’s posts. 

For me this is a happy positive place.  I cry with you and I rejoice with you.  

So many of us have been through so much in the past two years and I was so happy to find a place where we all feel comfortable to share how we feel on any particular day, whether it be good or bad.

i pray for each and every one of you every day.

i have been so grateful for your prayers for me and my husband through our time of loss of his brother and also through our ordeal with Covid on our last cruise.

You people kept me going.

i was about to post about the last two days.

For some reason, yesterday was a horrible day.  I was barely able to move, let alone walk.  i had no idea why.  i was in tears most of the day.  I needed help with everything.  Even getting dressed.  Just before getting ready for bed I realized I had not taken my medication.  i decided to take it, as late as it was.

i had the best nights sleep I had in ages.  i woke up this morning like a different person.  I took my medication, and I was able to do whatever I wanted.  i can’t figure it out.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

i am grateful for each and every one of you.  You cry with me and laugh with me.

You are my positive place every single day.

Please do not let this fall apart.  We are all important to each other.

And I will leave you with that.

God Bless each and every one of you.

Terri

Lovely post's.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm not sure what to say.  I'm not as eloquent as other posters.

I love this thread.  I post on it almost every day.  I don't do other social media.

I've smiled when I've read about achievements, cried when I read about a death.  I've prayed for many on this thread and their friends and families.

I've enjoyed seeing pictures and reading comments about places I've been and haven't been.

I hope it never ends.

• Like 20

37 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

I'm not sure what to say.  I'm not as eloquent as other posters.

I love this thread.  I post on it almost every day.  I don't do other social media.

I've smiled when I've read about achievements, cried when I read about a death.  I've prayed for many on this thread and their friends and families.

I've enjoyed seeing pictures and reading comments about places I've been and haven't been.

I hope it never ends.

No one cares about eloquence here.  You have said it perfectly. Thank you.

Terri

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Dailyites!

I do hope the Daily continues. Most mornings, it is among the first things I read after I turn on my computer. I am in awe of those who post consistently. You have shared joyous events (such as Camilla's arrival). Others have endured and surmounted so many challenges that remind me to be thankful for our good fortune. You have brightened our world during a time that was very dark. I am reminded of locales we want to revisit and our Bucket List lengthens with your gorgeous photos and memories of other ports of call. And I get some great Food & Beverage ideas as well! What's not to like?

However, I must say that even though I understand on an intellectual level why, I am truly saddened that @kazu Jacqui feels she needs to take a break from us. Her indomitable spirit shines through with every word she types, every meme she shares, no matter what is swirling around her at that instant in time. For many reasons, I truly hope she is able to climb out of the gloom. Sooner rather than later.

After reading the Daily, I have busy days, especially recently. We just sold our home and are going into a shortish-term rental situation. The square footage is considerably smaller, so you know that DH and I are going through the Donate/Pitch/Save triage in preparation for that move. It is amazing how much cr*p two oldsters can acquire! And retain. Or we are spackling and applying touch up paint where our treasures hung on walls. Or bubble packing up some of our tchotchkes. Oh, did I mention that we get to go this again in approximately 5-7 months when our (hopefully) Forever Home (no stairs!!) should be complete? Mother Nature has to cooperate, as does the supply chain for that timeline to hold.

The seductive light at the end of this tunnel, is the thought of boarding the Nieuw Statendam in late November (Bingo win!) for a week in the Caribbean, followed by another two weeks on board in the same cabin. This our Hawaii April 2020 cruise that @atexsix Bruno had a terrific Roll Call going on which rolled over into several other cruises cancelled by You-Know-What, one of which was to be a Spanish Farewell with a fabulous Roll Call organized by @kazu Jacqui, with several Dailyites on the Roll Call. We hope we will meet some of you on the NS. We are already looking forward to meeting @Overhead Fred & Mitzi.

Thank you all,

-Cat (& David too!!)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Well you know what they say about the road to …. Is paved with good intentions.   
I was hoping for some healthy discussion but didn’t expect to be criticized for saying things I didn’t actually say. I apologize for my lack of clarity.  

Thanks for those who reminded us that nuance and tone is missing.  

Thanks to those who reminded us how difficult things have been for the last few years, and how many of us are dealing with serious issues that may not be shared.  Part of my concern has been for those struggling with very serious issues,  things have seemed to me to be recently been a little insensitive to that.   To be clear I have not wanted to limit anyones voice, but nor do I want this thread to be just about post count…. like  posting four separate posts in a row.  I hope it can be a place where we are open and honest with each other,  actually listening to each other.  I have learned much from this group and appreciate each one who has chosen to participate. 

I apologize for any upset I caused, however unintentional,  

enough said, hopefully the air is clear and our little daily family can settle 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Well you know what they say about the road to …. Is paved with good intentions.   
I was hoping for some healthy discussion but didn’t expect to be criticized for saying things I didn’t actually say. I apologize for my lack of clarity.  

Thanks for those who reminded us that nuance and tone is missing.  

Thanks to those who reminded us how difficult things have been for the last few years, and how many of us are dealing with serious issues that may not be shared.  Part of my concern has been for those struggling with very serious issues,  things have seemed to me to be recently been a little insensitive to that.   To be clear I have not wanted to limit anyones voice, but nor do I want this thread to be just about post count…. like  posting four separate posts in a row.  I hope it can be a place where we are open and honest with each other,  actually listening to each other.  I have learned much from this group and appreciate each one who has chosen to participate. 

I apologize for any upset I caused, however unintentional,  

enough said, hopefully the air is clear and our little daily family can settle 

After my heart attack 2 and a half years ago and then a bad covid infection before vaccines were introduced I have learned to relax and forgive and forget if any one has criticised me.

My sole aims for posting on CC is to be helpful, informative and caring and I would never intentionally offend anyone.

I am happy to see today's daily is its usual friendly place.

I see daily how Pauline's mam's death 3 and a half years ago affects her and I sincerely wish @kazumy warmest wishes and look forward to seeing her lovely and funny posts when she is ready to share.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1