Live from quarantine on Royal

Colorado Coasty

47 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

My DW is positive and in quarantine on the Crown.  I am negative.  They are saying we can’t rent a car and drive when we get back to Seattle.  I can, but she cannot.

How can they stop you from renting a car and driving home?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pris993 said:

How can they stop you from renting a car and driving home?

That’s what they are saying.  My wife has to stay at the hotel until after 10 days in quarantine.

I am negative, but they say I can’t fly.

4 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

That’s what they are saying.  My wife has to stay at the hotel until after 10 days in quarantine.

I see you are not from west coast.   I was thinking getting off in Seattle, one could easily drive home in a day, if one lived in Washington State or elsewhere on west coast. 

On Royal, they are allegedly off-loading Vancouver roundtrippers in Anchorage Saturday because Canada’s process is more laborious. I assume that does not include Canadians. (Something about a 14 day quarantine after disembarkation before travel forward.) Hotels in Anchorage area are going to be busy. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pris993 said:

I see you are not from west coast.   I was thinking getting off in Seattle, one could easily drive home in a day, if one lived in Washington State or elsewhere on west coast. 

We can drive home in 2 days.  Not sure the difference since Princess allows you to select your own hotel if you want.  Also, that will be at the end of DW’s 5 day period.

On a positive note, she won’t need to test for either of the other 2 cruises we have upcoming this summer as Princess says they will provide a recovery letter.

Edited by bmc alabama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

So sorry.  How did Enchanted treat you in isolation?  Room service, etc.

Room service was available. There has been a distinct lack of information.  We knew we could order from the dining room menus but the people in the next cabin didn't. Then we found out from someone else that we could order from speciality dining foc. They rang us every day to check on us but weren't proactive in telling us anything useful. Atm I am feeling negative about the whole experience.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

We can drive home in 2 days.  Not sure the difference since Princess allows you to select your own hotel if you want.  Also, that will be at the end of DW’s 5 day period.

On a positive note, she won’t need to test for either of the other 2 cruises we have upcoming this summer as Princess says they will provide a recovery letter.

The difference is that DW will be quarantined in a hotel (of choice) room verses spending the night a several different hotels not quarantined.  There would a chance of exposing many along the way home.

I am glad you can see a positive in your situation.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Room service was available. There has been a distinct lack of information.  We knew we could order from the dining room menus but the people in the next cabin didn't. Then we found out from someone else that we could order from speciality dining foc. They rang us every day to check on us but weren't proactive in telling us anything useful. Atm I am feeling negative about the whole experience.

same on emerald...lack of information made entire experience worse than necessary...how difficult would it be for them to type up some basic information re things like room service etc and provide to quarantined people?  I never got a single piece of paper telling me anything while in quarantine.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

I’m sorry to hear you are dealing with this. There certainly doesn’t seem to be any consistently with Princess.  I definitely thought at this point in the USA there is only a 5 day isolation period not 10. They should have paperwork while onboard to give each Covid + passenger and their traveling/ cabin partner of all the steps. From reading all of the reports across the fleet it is hit or miss with paperwork as I’ve been reading. Well I hope everything works out and you’re able to fly home ( from Seattle to Alabama)after the five days of isolation. I would check with the airline. 

How long has your wife been in an isolation cabin on board? I believe the day that you test Covid positive doesn’t count ,you count the next day as your day one. Are you also in the isolation cabin with her or in your original cabin?  In the US there is no Covid test that you need to take to board the airline. But if princess has notified your airline then make sure you have the Covid positive test for your wife and a letter of recovery. I would still think letter of  Recovery  for your wife would be fine for the airline after the five days isolation. And if you’re still testing negative then you’re good to go . But all my opinion.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 2

As some one else noted, a key takeaway from this thread is the distinct lack of consistency among Princess ships and their treatment of pax with Covid. Some quarantined in Vancouver, some bused to Seattle, and some taken back to Anchorage. It doesn’t make one feel very confident. So long into cruising during the pandemic, every cruise line should have a precise plan for handling Covid pax, with documents ready to issue to pax to explain the process and all crew trained. As protocols change, they should simply be updating the documents and ensuring consistency among the ships.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Some of it may depend on the availability of contracted rooms in Vancouver and Canada’s requirement that the cruise lines arrange for quarantine. I think they are scrambling as more people test positive and fill the rooms with varying rates of turn over. For those flying home, there is the added restriction of testing negative or producing a certificate of recovery.

• Like 1

I would think they may look at the option of keeping Covid passengers onboard for the next cruise, especially those just diagnosed positive in the last couple of days of a cruise. And I think someone mentioned that had been done in one or more cases. Another 7 days gets the person so much closer to being ready to go home and the expense to Princess is far lower. Sure lots of variables including number of staff on ships, amount of food available and amount of space in the Covid ward onboard. But some passengers may prefer this and in most cases it reduces the expense to Princess. And as already mentioned, some ports may not be able to deal with the number of people.

I believe @bmc Alabama-positive wife ,negative husband is on the Crown Princess and I believe their itinerary is round-trip Seattle, so no Vancouver involved.  They just happened to post on the thread- quarantine live on the Royal.  I So agree ,Princess should definitely by this time  have better information/ paperwork for passengers that are going through this. I don’t believe verbal information is good when you’re going through all this, it’s a trying time.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, P23r23s23 said:

Anyone had to quarantine another 5 days after disembarkation in Whittier/Anchorage? If so, which hotel(s) did Princess book? Hoping their contract rate is pretty darn good because rack rate is $400-600 a night and we have to pay that ourselves and wait for reimbursement. I also don’t want to spend 5 nights in a Motel 6, so hoping they contract with decent hotels. 

Princess is saying positive test = 10 days quarantine not including day zero, regardless of vaccination status. By the time we disembark in Whittier, I will have quarantined 5 days. They said I can’t book a flight home till June 10. (I am US citizen, fully vax & double boosted). CDC does say to ‘avoid travel’ for 10 days so I assume that is the basis for the requirement. 

Same thing had happened to us on the Queen Elizabeth.  Despite an enforced indoor mask requirement (except for dining and drinking), I tested positive the day before arrival in LA after 3 onboard negative tests. My husband tested negative.   Neither of us have symptoms. A bunch of passengers - all in isolation cabins - were disembarked in LA and sent to quarantine hotels. Five days of quarantine (on ship and in hotel) was mandatory. Cunard required 10 days before they would cover our flight home. CDC recommends no travel for 10 days.  

However, Cunard admitted that we could leave after 5 days but would have to make and pay for onward arrangements. We are only a 1-hour flight from LA so we are leaving tomorrow (day 6). 

If you are in the USA already, you may want to  talk with Princess about this option if you are willing to pay out-of-pocket. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Re: Quarantining people onboard post cruise.  Never thought about this. Give me a free balcony cabin, deliver my food timely, extend my drink package and my internet. I am good!

Yes I could do the summer between Vancouver and Alaska if they want me to! But apparently to partake in this I need to get back onboard and get Covid.

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, AE_Collector said:

I would think they may look at the option of keeping Covid passengers onboard for the next cruise, especially those just diagnosed positive in the last couple of days of a cruise. And I think someone mentioned that had been done in one or more cases. Another 7 days gets the person so much closer to being ready to go home and the expense to Princess is far lower. Sure lots of variables including number of staff on ships, amount of food available and amount of space in the Covid ward onboard. But some passengers may prefer this and in most cases it reduces the expense to Princess. And as already mentioned, some ports may not be able to deal with the number of people.

22 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Re: Quarantining people onboard post cruise.  Never thought about this. Give me a free balcony cabin, deliver my food timely, extend my drink package and my internet. I am good!

This is already the policy of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Windstar offered the option in limited cases but charged $100 per person per day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I know we should always look at other official sites besides believing what people say on cruise critic, but I believe in January 2022 “things “changed as far as isolation goes. If you have mild symptoms , And have your Covid vaccinations and or boosters  or & are asymptomatic and you have not had a fever for 24 hours and you test positive for Covid, you just need to isolate and stay away from others for five days.  Seems this is what most cruise passengers are reporting that they just have a slight cough and otherwise they feel fine but they’ve tested positive. So isolate for five days( on the ship and or in a hotel if you’re not close to home and need to fly ) and then make arrangements to get to your home if it’s not close to your home city where you disembark.  Then wear a mask that fits well over your nose and mouth and you are free to be around others and travel on an airplane.

Obviously if you’re on a cruise little different you’re either isolated by yourself or with your cruise cabin partner. But I don’t see anywhere  that one has to quarantine for 10 days if you are in the USA .I have no idea about Canada or any other country that you’re in.   Definitely have to follow the rules of each country. 

Perhaps a 10 day isolation only refers to if you have just recently got off a cruise ship. Maybe the five days isolation is if you get covid at home or if you’re in the USA and get sick on vacation in a hotel. Perhaps there’s different rules ??

Edited by arizonaperson

18 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

I know we should always look at other official sites besides believing what people say on cruise critic, but I believe in January 2022 “things “changed as far as isolation goes. If you have mild symptoms , And have your Covid vaccinations and or boosters  or & are asymptomatic and you have not had a fever for 24 hours and you test positive for Covid, you just need to isolate and stay away from others for five days.  Seems this is what most cruise passengers are reporting that they just have a slight cough and otherwise they feel fine but they’ve tested positive. So isolate for five days( on the ship and or in a hotel if you’re not close to home and need to fly ) and then make arrangements to get to your home if it’s not close to your home city where you disembark.  Then wear a mask that fits well over your nose and mouth and you are free to be around others and travel on an airplane.

Obviously if you’re on a cruise little different you’re either isolated by yourself or with your cruise cabin partner. But I don’t see anywhere  that one has to quarantine for 10 days if you are in the USA .I have no idea about Canada or any other country that you’re in.   Definitely have to follow the rules of each country. 

Perhaps a 10 day isolation only refers to if you have just recently got off a cruise ship. Maybe the five days isolation is if you get covid at home or if you’re in the USA and get sick on vacation in a hotel. Perhaps there’s different rules ??

Yes, the 5 day recommendation applies if you are following CDC recommendations in the US.

However, as you pointed out, one has to follow the rules of the host country. Cruise lines require 10 days because of the congregate setting.  In addition the airlines are required to check test or recovery status in order for you to board an international flight into the US. It takes 10 days from a positive test to get a certificate of recovery in order to fly home.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 11:31 AM, Cathygh said:

Leaving Enchanted on Friday after a week in isolation. Both DH and I were positive.  I got a medical proof letter about 2 hours ago. DH still waiting. No idea why they couldn't do them at the same time 

Going by first name instead of last? DOB?

53 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

If you look at the CDC guidelines for travel on cruise ship…

Do NOT travel if…

• You tested positive for COVID-19.
    • Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms.