Covid and Royal plus a MTD rant.

It seems that a good portion of posts on Royal boards concerns Covid.  On my recently completed cruise on the Allure I read post after post on our Facebook page of more and more cruisers contacting Covid on our cruise. Royal are you listening?  On a unrelated note  until Royal fixes MTD I think I’ll switch cruise lines. On our recent cruise we ate in the main dining once due to chaos at the MTD DESK and lines a good fifty feet long. I go on vacation to relieve stress not add to it!

Edited by smeck
  • Like 4

The 1,000,000th Covid and/or short staff thread.

Okay, I’ll jump in…the issues have been presented to everyone here and the conclusion I have reached  is that…everyone should make their own choices on cruising or doing something else.

Royal knows what is going on and has chosen a path.

Edited by TexasRon
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, smeck said:

It seems that a good portion of posts on Royal boards concerns Covid.  On my recently completed cruise on the Allure I read post after post on our Facebook page of more and more cruisers contacting Covid on our cruise. Royal are you listening?  On a unrelated note  until Royal fixes MTD I think I’ll switch cruise lines. On our recent cruise we ate in the main dining once due to chaos at the MTD DESK and lines a good fifty feet long. I go on vacation to relieve stress not add to it!

Covid is not just a cruise line thing. It’s everywhere. It’s at your local Publix, Winn Dixie and Walmart. It’s at your local restaurants. What would you like for RCI to do? It’s not just cruise lines. It can be picked up anywhere and more than likely it’s being brought on board by guests. There is no way to keep it off ships. 

Labor shortages is not just a cruise line issue. We’re annual pass holders at Disneyland and right now they’re hurting big time with cast member shortages and it shows in some areas. Doesn’t make us happy but we deal with it because we understand the situation. Same situation when we go to the grocery store and selves are not stocked because they can’t get help to stock them. The list of examples goes on and on. 

Also, the same exact crew shortage that’s currently affecting RCI is affecting just about every other line. Add to that crew must test weekly and some test positive for Covid and must therefore quarantine. There’s no way to simply replace crew who must quarantine. Other crew members are forced to pick up the slack. It’s difficult for them right now. They work hard enough when things run normal. No, things are not back to pre Covid service levels and won’t be for a while. Every person should look at the current situation and decide if maybe it would be a good idea to hold off on cruising but Covid is not going anywhere anytime soon. We have to learn how to live with it. Sorry that you did not enjoy your cruise.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Lol carnival has anytime dining down to a art. Push a button on my app and almost immediately it computer matches me to a table. First time on rcl I was appalled how bad rcl is at anytime and switched to early. I agree they are terrible at this. The whole pt of anytime dining the answer shouldn't be I need to schedule a time to avoid standing in line nightly.

Not that you want carnival but they do it well. 

I do read more and more about covid on ships, it's a risk you take. We have to agree to the risk or stay home. I'm taking time off myself. The hassle is getting to me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Covid is not just a cruise line thing. It’s everywhere. It’s at your local Publix, Winn Dixie and Walmart. It’s at your local restaurants. What would you like for RCI to do? It’s not just cruise lines. It can be picked up anywhere and more than likely it’s being brought on board by guests. There is no way to keep it off ships. 

Labor shortages is not just a cruise line issue. We’re annual pass holders at Disneyland and right now they’re hurting big time with cast member shortages and it shows in some areas. Doesn’t make us happy but we deal with it because we understand the situation. Same situation when we go to the grocery store and selves are not stocked because they can’t get help to stock them. The list of examples goes on and on. 

Also, the same exact crew shortage that’s currently affecting RCI is affecting just about every other line. Add to that crew must test weekly and some test positive for Covid and must therefore quarantine. There’s no way to simply replace crew who must quarantine. Other crew members are forced to pick up the slack. It’s difficult for them right now. They work hard enough when things run normal. No, things are not back to pre Covid service levels and won’t be for a while. Every person should look at the current situation and decide if maybe it would be a good idea to hold off on cruising but Covid is not going anywhere anytime soon. We have to learn how to live with it. Sorry that you did not enjoy your cruise.

I have gone to land based restaurants where they cut hours  and lower the table count for waiters and waitresses.  The cruise lines should cut capacity until they can service all of their guests. 

• Like 14

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Lol carnival has anytime dining down to a art. Push a button on my app and almost immediately it computer matches me to a table. First time on rcl I was appalled how bad rcl is at anytime and switched to early. I agree they are terrible at this. The whole pt of anytime dining the answer shouldn't be I need to schedule a time to avoid standing in line nightly.

Not that you want carnival but they do it well. 

I do read more and more about covid on ships, it's a risk you take. We have to agree to the risk or stay home. I'm taking time off myself. The hassle is getting to me.

Covid is a risk each individual cruiser must determine.  Royal can adjust to staff shortages if they desired. 

31 minutes ago, smeck said:

I have gone to land based restaurants where they cut hours  and lower the table count for waiters and waitresses.  The cruise lines should cut capacity until they can service all of their guests. 

And how long do you think they would stay afloat with keeping capacity lower? What is “your” magic number for lower capacity? Sounds like cruising is not for you at the moment and there’s nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

And how long do you think they would stay afloat with keeping capacity lower? What is “your” magic number for lower capacity? Sounds like cruising is not for you at the moment and there’s nothing wrong with that. 

Your probably right I just want to get what I pay for which isn’t happening right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, smeck said:

... until Royal fixes MTD I think I’ll switch cruise lines. On our recent cruise we ate in the main dining once due to chaos at the MTD DESK and lines a good fifty feet long. I go on vacation to relieve stress not add to it!

After years of doing MTD, we've switched back to early TD. Good move. Same time (6:00 PM), table and wait staff and excellent service. Both legs of our B2B Explorer cruise. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, davekathy said:

After years of doing MTD, we've switched back to early TD. Good move. Same time (6:00 PM), table and wait staff and excellent service. Both legs of our B2B Explorer cruise. 

We have done the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

6 PM?  It's 5:30 on other ships.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

What would you like for RCI to do? It’s not just cruise lines. It can be picked up anywhere and more than likely it’s being brought on board by guests. There is no way to keep it off ships. 

There is more that could be done by the cruise lines.  At the moment it seems like they are trying to deny its on board and cruise like its 2019

When Omicron reared its head in Dec/Jan they should of listened to the science that it is way more transmissible and kept the numbers on board at a lower % instead of ramping up.  This would also of helped with staff shortages. 

IMO masks should still be mandated in theatres and on buses (tours)

The dinning rooms are not full, why then have two top tables with only a 12 inch gap between them. Space them out, even if just a little bit 

Have more 'parties' out on an open deck 

Etc etc.    Didn't Royal have a special medical group put together in HO to manage protocols?

Eventually rates will start to go down as long as there isn't another variant. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, smeck said:

Your probably right I just want to get what I pay for which isn’t happening right now. 

About 85-90% Cruises I've Booked last year have been cheaper then PreCovid, some by half, this inc ones taking this Fall and in 2023. Everything else Food, Travel, Gas, ect is higher cost and has same Service issues. I'll take the low Cruise prices on Royal any day. That said everyone has right to their opinion and Choice

I've been on 3 cruises since September, knowing full well that I could catch something, as I could at a grocery store, work, or anywhere else. Face it. There are no guarantees anywhere you won't catch Covid. The cruise lines are relaxing things on board because their infection rates haven't increased. Our first cruise, last Sept, post Covid, had all the restrictions in place. Our last 2 have gradually ended them, and made the cruises much more enjoyable.

Catching covid at your local store is not comparable to catching covid onboard a cruise ship. At home, I can access medical care and quickly obtain a prescription for antiviral medication. I was not offered an examination by a physician onboard and my concerns about my symptoms were minimized by the staff member who answered the nurse line. I was very surprised at how disorganized and dismissive the medical care was onboard. I'm sure this can vary by sailing but mine clearly had a lot of positives and they were spread very thin. 

• Like 3

Just came off May 14th Allure. We're not germaphobes by any means but we avoided packed elevators when possible and rolled our eyes at the 70 's party and Love & Marriage. A little personal space goes a long way. That said, it won't change our booking habits going forward. We know the risk and are OK with it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

6 PM?  It's 5:30 on other ships.

Yeah, haven't seen a US based ship at 6 PM for a long time.  For me, 5:30 is too early, but 6 would be okay.  I did do 8 PM late seating for a while, but that become too late for me.  I now just schedule MTD everyday at 6:30 or 7.

ETA:  I just did a mock booking for June 19th Explorer and dining times are 5:30 and 8.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Yeah, haven't seen a US based ship at 6 PM for a long time.  For me, 5:30 is too early, but 6 would be okay.  I did do 8 PM late seating for a while, but that become too late for me.  I now just schedule MTD everyday at 6:30 or 7.

ETA:  I just did a mock booking for June 19th Explorer and dining times are 5:30 and 8.

Yeah that wasn't the case for our 13 and 20 March B2B cruises on the Explorer. All I know is we were given a 6:00 PM TD time slot for our 13 and 20 March B2B cruise. Worked great for us. 45 minute DL HH and then down to the MDR after that. We originally booked (in the CP) 6:00 PM MTD but about a eight weeks prior to our sail date MTD was changed to 7:15 PM.  To late for us. If MTD was at 5:30 PM for our cruises we would have stayed with that time. Not the case for our cruises. Changed over to early TD before our sail date.  

Edited by davekathy

This is NOT a Royal only issue. It is not an isolated issue for a certain cruise ship, as I read in another thread. Yesterday I read in Business Insider  https://www.businessinsider.com/carnival-royal-caribbean-struggling-to-hire-crew-members-2022-5   Very good article. Come on people. STOP bashing. Show some compassion. We have a cruise coming up this week and again the end of July. I am looking forward to very little, by the standards I have read in several threads, being at sea, relaxing, cold frozen beverage by the pool, a day at Perfect Day, some time with family and a few memories to take with me when I leave. I do wish each of you wonderful cruises, the best the cruise line, ship, and crew can create. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, davekathy said:

And as you know...we did the same....with refreshingly wonderful results.  🙂 

• Like 3

We think the early and late dining times vary by ship.  When they first changed early dining to 5:30 on a cruise out of Galveston years ago, an officer told us they changed the early dining to 5:30 to make it less popular and the late dining to 8:00 to make it more popular due to a consistent imbalance of requested MDR regular dining times.  More people wanted early than late, and they were trying to get some of them to switch with the new times.  It seems to have worked.  We noticed back then that ships leaving from Florida still had 6:00 and 8:30 dining times, so it may have been a regional thing.

Then MTD was introduced, and it complicates the situation.   In the old days half the ship ate early and half ate late, so dining room capacity wasn't an issue.  If you wanted early and it was full when you booked, your only choice was late (or buffet.)  Now they have to allocate capacity for early, late, and MTD, which seems to be harder to get right.

We've sailed Norwegian with their "Anytime Dining" and we laughed at the name since our experience was that it was indeed "anytime" and not the time you presented yourself at a dining room for dinner.  We were never seated right away.  We were given a beeper thing, and it took anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour to get a table.  So we didn't think they got it right either.  

We tried MTD once on Royal and it seemed difficult to get the times we wanted, and sometimes we had to wait.  So we've stuck with late dining because there is less hassle.  8:00 is definitely better than 8:30 though!

21 hours ago, smeck said:

Most land based restaurants have brought all of their tables back in. No business is going to reduce capacity unless mandated. Why would they????  We just flew to a cruise and every seat on the plane was full. 

We scheduled MTD for 6:30-6:45 every day of our March Harmony cruise.  Never waited more than 5-10 minutes to be seated at the same table/same waitstaff every night. Had no problems with MTD at all 🤷‍♀️