Security of personal devices around the ship?

zitsky

I wonder that they waited until he tried to disembark and didn’t confront him prior to that. Surely he used his seapass at other venues, and they knew his stateroom number. Def should’ve been kicked off at the first port following the theft. 

6 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I wonder that they waited until he tried to disembark and didn’t confront him prior to that. Surely he used his seapass at other venues, and they knew his stateroom number. Def should’ve been kicked off at the first port following the theft. 

Thinking the same, why not just deactivate their card, they'll need to report to guest services eventually.  Also I wonder if they received a lifetime ban

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Thank you.  I have loss insurance on my iPhone just in case, but I will probably keep it in the safe.  I will take my iPad to the pool or some other tablet.  They are not very expensive and would be easily replaced.

Everything is about risk yet leaving your phone on a lounger while in the pool along with the security cameras, it's about as safe as it gets.  The other poster left their phone at the gym and probably no one could see it get taken yet they looked at the camera footage and located them

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

I would like to sit by the pool reading a tablet but I don't want my partner to have to sit there watching it while I go in the pool.

While you are in the pool just standing and chatting with the nearest person around ( How ya enjoyin the cruise, where ya from, first time on Celebrity , etc, etc ), face towards the area where your " stuff " is hidden ---under a towel is a great place. Nobody will ever " figure " that there are some valuables hidden ( ?? ) under there.

Here's another " tip "-- next time you are going across the border with more purchases than permitted without having to pay duty fees, hide them under the front set of your car --- the Officers will never find them !!

LOL--- I know a guy, who's cousin has a friend that tried it etc, etc --- I forgot what the penalty fees were--- just his bad luck that the Officer's dog smelled something " funny " and sat down for a rest.

Edited by Pinboy
Forgot a point

4 hours ago, mnocket said:

I have often left my e-reader on my pool lounge/table while I went for a dip.  Never worried about it and never had a problem.  Life's too short to be overly concerned about things that can be easily replaced.

Sure, they can be replaced . . . but not on a ship or during international travel. I'd rather not deal with the annoyance and inconvenience if possible.

9 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Sure, they can be replaced . . . but not on a ship or during international travel. I'd rather not deal with the annoyance and inconvenience if possible.

Sure they can be replaced…. At the pool.

With thousands of strangers on board you can’t know who has the psychological desire or need to steal. 
But you can certainly take steps to eliminate the opportunity for them to steal your stuff. Keep it in the room or out of sight in a bag, backpack, or under a shirt/towel. If you leave the pool area take your electronics with you. Or put an exploding red dye packet under your phone. Boom 💥 

A few years ago, there was a case where two thieves stole someone's luggage left outside the door for pick up on last sea day, took whatever they deemed valuable and threw the suitcase overboard.  Luckily, they were caught by ship camera and arrested.

Don't be complacent. Thieves are everywhere.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that there are cameras all over the ship, except in your stateroom and the rest rooms.  There is no guarantee no one will walk away with an electronic device but the odds are pretty low.  I also never worry about keeping those types of items anywhere in my cabin.  Room stewards or other staff who may enter would not be employed long if items went missing.  

5 hours ago, LJJQ said:

I have a aquavault that have used to secure my iPhone initially at the beach & pools at home! It secures to the beach chair and has worked well for me! 

until someone walks away with the beach chair!!!😝

5 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Wow

I know, Dave.  I felt so fortunate.  I learned many of the security officers are former Israeli military. 

Including the young man who helped us.   

10 minutes ago, marieps said:

I know, Dave.  I felt so fortunate.  I learned many of the security officers are former Israeli military. 

Eh?  My experience in reading name tags is that most of them are Filipino.

There's evidently a  major agency there that Celebrity uses.

18 minutes ago, canderson said:

Of course the name tags are Filipino!  You don’t expect Israeli security to use their real name do you?!

Geeze.  Some people.  🥸

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Impressive.  They should have put him off the ship.

I never learned who it was.  I'm sure he didn't know my face either, although DW was the wallpaper on the phone.  Just glad security is so good at what they doo.

Just now, zitsky said:

Of course the name tags are Filipino!  You don’t expect Israeli spies to use their real name do you?!

From my understanding there are Israeli members ( not spies ) of the Security Staff on board some ships ( ?? ) who are not recognizable ( visible ) as Security Officers as are the Filipino staff wearing blue uniforms with a camera attached to the front of their shirt.

My guess ( no real knowledge )is that they would be stationed where the security cameras are located.

33 minutes ago, canderson said:

Hi Earl.  You're speaking of the blue shirts that man the gangways.  I'm speaking of the uniforms with bars.  Not being elitist.  Just specifying.  Hope all is well in Colorado.

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

From my understanding there are Israeli members ( not spies ) of the Security Staff on board some ships ( ?? ) who are not recognizable ( visible ) as Security Officers as are the Filipino staff wearing blue uniforms with a camera attached to the front of their shirt.

My guess ( no real knowledge )is that they would be stationed where the security cameras are located.

I edited my post to remove the word spies.  Don’t want them to track me down.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, marieps said:

Jim, that is my understanding as well.  On one of our more recent cruises when we were out on the helipad, I talked to a security officer and he acknowledged being Israeli (upon hearing that I think I backed up a little bit to put a little more space between us).  

• Like 1

A few years ago …. After a swim, I left my prescription sunglasses along with a book on a lounger in the Solarium and stepped about 20 feet to rinse off in the showers. When I came back a few minutes later … NO SUNGLASSES !!!

Ship security looked for a few days. That area of the Solarium wasn’t covered by cameras. But, they had pictures of my sunglasses at deck one disembarkation and were checking anyone with similar sunglasses. Unfortunately, they were never found. The Michaels Club concierge, Captains Club host, Guest Relations Manager, and even the Hotel Director came by to apologize !!!  

Celebrity takes any crime aboard ship very seriously. But, I learned my lesson and keep a close watch on everything now. 

— Don

6 hours ago, mnocket said:

I have often left my e-reader on my pool lounge/table while I went for a dip.  Never worried about it and never had a problem.  Life's too short to be overly concerned about things that can be easily replaced.

IMO, it's not about items being easily replaced, it's about someone taking my personal belongings and violating my personal space. 

• Like 3