Men's formal night attire question

Hi all!

I know this is a rather silly question but what do YOU feel is the proper formal attire for men on formal nights? My husband is military and has always worn his dress blues. But he said this time around he just doesn't feel up to it. I think he's burnt out on the attention it tends to get (both positive and negative) and the space it take sup in our luggage. His typical go-to for 'fancier' occasions is khakis and a button down - does that suffice, or should he pull out the black slacks and blazer? This will be our first cruise in about 5 years and I feel a little out of touch with what 'is and is not' lol.

8 minutes ago, ae_soleil said:

Hi all!

I know this is a rather silly question but what do YOU feel is the proper formal attire for men on formal nights? My husband is military and has always worn his dress blues. But he said this time around he just doesn't feel up to it. I think he's burnt out on the attention it tends to get (both positive and negative) and the space it take sup in our luggage. His typical go-to for 'fancier' occasions is khakis and a button down - does that suffice, or should he pull out the black slacks and blazer? This will be our first cruise in about 5 years and I feel a little out of touch with what 'is and is not' lol.

He will be fine in the khakis.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ae_soleil said:

His typical go-to for 'fancier' occasions is khakis and a button down - does that suffice, or should he pull out the black slacks and blazer?

He would be fine in khaki's and a button down (or a polo shirt), but I would throw in a blazer that goes with those (not for fashion, but because it can get chilly in the Main Dining Room). I haven't worn any slacks other than khaki's with polo's for years, but always bring a blazer (or two for longer cruises).

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

Hubby & adult son wore dress pants with a button down shirt & tie.  Adult daughter & I wore dresses we’d wear to nice daytime wedding.   More dressed than some less than others.  Felt it was a happy medium and didn’t take up a ton of luggage space.

• Like 1

Live in Florida and drive to the ports, so luggage not a concern. When cruising with daughter, I bring the suits since she likes to dress up. When cruising with the wife just dress pants and long sleeve shirt (sometime tie on Dress-your-best-nights). Dress pants and long sleeve shirts on non-dress-your -best-nights.  The 3 I have been on since the restart it seems to have been warmer on the ships than in the past. These have all been Caribbean/Bahama/Eastern/Westerns. Will drag a suit with me for Norway later this year expecting it to be a little more dressy (and cold). You will be in the majority with slacks and a long sleeve shirt.

I used to wear suits all the time.  I’m retired now and don’t even have a suit, dress shirts or ties anymore.  My wife wants me to buy a suit, but buying one just for cruising makes no sense to me. Dockers and polos are the norm now for eating out.    I’ll probably buy a few dress shirts and ties for the cruise, but will probably opt out of a suit. 

• Like 1

Formal nights as we remember them from 10+ years ago are no more. At least that has been my experience.

Granted,our last cruise was on the Celebrity Summmit to Bermuda in July of 2019. 

I saw one gentleman on Chic Night wearing a tux.My husband wore dress plants, long sleeve button down shirt and tie that evening. On prior cruises he always wore a suit and he did wear a tux on the QEII. 

My suggestion for your hubby would be to leave the dress blues at home and bring another kind of uniform- navy blazer, dress shirt and tie and dressy kahkis or dress pants. 

Enjoy your cruise!

MJ

I understand not wanting to wear the uniform.  However, I always wear at least a button down, long sleeve shirt and dress pants to the MDR every night.  On formal nights it is  a dark suit, white shirt and tie.  I bring one 26" regular suitcase and one 20" carry-on and always have more than enough room for everything I need for at least 10 days.  I've never understood the luggage problem people talk about.  Are folks really going on vacation for a week with just a carry-on? Is a $30 bag fee that cost prohibitive when viewed across the total price of the trip?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I've never understood the luggage problem people talk about.  Are folks really going on vacation for a week with just a carry-on? Is a $30 bag fee that cost prohibitive when viewed across the total price of the trip?

Yes, they go with just a carryon.

If I am going on a cruise to kick back and relax, bringing a suit or something formal - and having to pay extra to wear something I'd rather not be bothered with - is an aggravation and unnecessary.

You do you, I'll do me.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ae_soleil said:

Hi all!

Military now Retired, Either is fine, wore Khakis and Botton Down on Formal last dozen Cruises. Agree, taking Dress Blues(or Greens back few yrs) ended up having travel with extra Garment Bag just for that, even when wore Civilian Suits a lot extra stuff for Couple Formal Dinners. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

Everyone needs to stop thinking about formal or chic night in terms of what other people might think. Do what pleases you. For me, that used to be a tux. Then for a while it was shirt and tie. In recent years, I’ve dropped the tie. 

The simple truth is that unless you are very underdressed for any night (think tank top, shorts, and baseball cap), no one cares nor do they have any right to care. 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2022 at 4:38 PM, publicpersona said:

Everyone needs to stop thinking about formal or chic night in terms of what other people might think. Do what pleases you. For me, that used to be a tux. Then for a while it was shirt and tie. In recent years, I’ve dropped the tie. 

The simple truth is that unless you are very underdressed for any night (think tank top, shorts, and baseball cap), no one cares nor do they have any right to care. 

This is what I tried to explain to him haha but he cares, he just does. I can't change that about him. Probably a military officer thing. Can't break him of it 😆

Thank you, everyone, for all the responses. I appreciate it!

He'll be fine with a button-down and khakis.  If he wants to bring and wear a blazer, rock on.  He'll look great.  No need for the black slacks, unless he just cares to.

Honestly, my dressing habits have changed since the restart (as have many others).  I may or may not bring a jacket, and I leave the tie at home.

Honestly, I can't bring myself to wear anything less than a button down or nice golf shirt with khakis for any evening meal onboard.  For the "formal nights", that usually becomes black or dark blue "khakis", a solid colored shirt and tie and a sport coat.  That's just me - i don't worry what anyone else wears.  And if I see a group people in true formal attire, I generally try to stay clear of their photo taking.  

I enjoyed dressing up in uniform on cruises for many years and the family did too.

shameless.jpg

Today I take cruises that don't stress 'formal' and I no longer take the formal stuff

polo and kah' is my wear as well ..... 

wearing 'the garb' did get me invites to Captain's table ... on the bridge for docking and other perks ....... but after 10 or 15 of those the impact wears off . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Tux with tails

spats

monocle

cane

belt and suspenders(just in case)

cigar (un-lit)

dimes to hand out to the peasants 

Oh, I think I've seen you before!

See the source image

• Haha 1