Has the price of drinks gone up?

windsor26

Please could someone with the drinks package who has cruises very recently advise whether the price of drinks like a cocktail have gone up since they last cruised? Thanks

2 hours ago, windsor26 said:

Please could someone with the drinks package who has cruises very recently advise whether the price of drinks like a cocktail have gone up since they last cruised? Thanks

It's been posted quite a bit that drink prices are not measurably up - yet.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, windsor26 said:

I'm relatively certain that the prices are going to go up just before June 25... when the premier package begins

• Like 3

If you go by how much they pour into a glass for wine, then YES!  There are fewer qualifying wines for the beverage package and the pour of wine is only 3-4 ounces!

So, yes, the price has increased for wine, absolutely!

1 hour ago, nini said:

If you go by how much they pour into a glass for wine, then YES!  There are fewer qualifying wines for the beverage package and the pour of wine is only 3-4 ounces!

Not my experience on Regal a couple of weeks ago, compared to Sky Princess in October. 

The wine price list was identical.

Not my experience on Emerald at the moment there are not many cocktails above 12dollars. My only complaint is been no British bitter onboard Bass Pale Ale on menu but out of stock only option is lager or Guinness. Also no brandy available for after dinner drinks or in bars but available in cocktails up until last night and no availability in cocktails now.Also on day we embarked asked for a coffee menu in International Cafe as wife likes speciality iced coffees but half were not available.

• Like 1

The prices did not change from March to May / June this year however things were missing onboard. 

Wines were on the menu at the same price but they were not actually available onboard, it happens. They were really pushing a red blended wine, it is awful. 

Also the wine pour was definitely smaller measures than in March for the first few days until staff realised it just meant more work for them (and they were already short of staff).

Ingredients missing for some cocktails as well eg Butterfly but still a wide range and choice.

11 hours ago, nini said:

Standard wine serving from what I understand should be 6 ounces. If Princess is pouring 3 to 4 ounces they are not being honest with their customers. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skynight said:

Standard wine serving from what I understand should be 6 ounces. If Princess is pouring 3 to 4 ounces they are not being honest with their customers. 

Thank you @skynight! You get what I was saying... the price PER OUNCE has DOUBLED!

true, most wines on the menu were $12.00 or less, IF THEY HAVE THEM IN STOCK!

Therefore, yes the price has increased. I was a bartender and am a wine drinker, therefore I do know what I am talking about.

BTW- Port was on the dining room menu but they did not have any.

The entire ship ran out of half-n-half one day. "It was in storage". Maybe they could have     restocked overnight?

But if you are on Princess Plus just order. 2 glasses really don't see the problem. It would be a great struggle for the majority to drink 15 drinks in 24hrs so it's just moaning for moaning sake. Currently on Emerald. And yes there are issues with availability but as far as sizes of measures there is no problem.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

But if you are on Princess Plus just order. 2 glasses really don't see the problem. It would be a great struggle for the majority to drink 15 drinks in 24hrs so it's just moaning for moaning sake. Currently on Emerald. And yes there are issues with availability but as far as sizes of measures there is no problem.

I totally agree. The wine measures seemed the same as previously on our last cruise, and with PP getting refills was easy. 

All a storm in a wine glass really ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I totally agree. The wine measures seemed the same as previously on our last cruise, and with PP getting refills was easy. 

All a storm in a wine glass really ! 

Our issue was lack of staff to serve drinks (acknowledged as a problem by management onboard Sky). So we just ordered doubles and still got no where near 15 units a day, so all good.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, skynight said:

It varies by the circumstance.  If you are serving a table of 6 diners, you should pour out a full bottle divided evenly among the 6 people without requiring the diners to order a second bottle.  So those pours would be 125 ml or a smidge over 4 ounces.  If there are 5 diners, you would again pour out the whole bottle, resulting in pours of 150 ml or 5 ounces.  If there are 4 diners, however, you would pour each diner a 125 ml (4 ounce) pour and reserve the equivalent of 2 more 125 ml pours in the bottle to top off the diners as they draw down their glasses, and when the last of the wine is poured, ask the person who ordered the wine if they would like a second bottle.  (OK. Now I'm having flashbacks of my "practical" class where we had to pour 750 ml of water into 4, 5 and 6 glasses such that each pour was exactly even, measured on a digital scale!)  

For wines by the glass, pricing and inventory is based on 5 glasses per bottle which is the 150 ml (5 ounce) pour.     

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

It varies by the circumstance.  If you are serving a table of 6 diners, you should pour out a full bottle divided evenly among the 6 people without requiring the diners to order a second bottle.  So those pours would be 125 ml or a smidge over 4 ounces.  If there are 5 diners, you would again pour out the whole bottle, resulting in pours of 150 ml or 5 ounces.  If there are 4 diners, however, you would pour each diner a 125 ml (4 ounce) pour and reserve the equivalent of 2 more 125 ml pours in the bottle to top off the diners as they draw down their glasses, and when the last of the wine is poured, ask the person who ordered the wine if they would like a second bottle.  (OK. Now I'm having flashbacks of my "practical" class where we had to pour 750 ml of water into 4, 5 and 6 glasses such that each pour was exactly even, measured on a digital scale!)  

For wines by the glass, pricing and inventory is based on 5 glasses per bottle which is the 150 ml (5 ounce) pour.     

Interesting.

This sounds like a pretty acquired skill.

Perhaps the problem is the staff that poured short pours for the poster haven't learned how much is supposed to be in a serving yet. There are certainly a lot of newbie staff on the ships......

45 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Interesting.

This sounds like a pretty acquired skill.

Perhaps the problem is the staff that poured short pours for the poster haven't learned how much is supposed to be in a serving yet. There are certainly a lot of newbie staff on the ships......

I have no doubt that they have not this type of training.  More like: "Hey! You're pouring too heavy!"

On 6/9/2022 at 11:13 AM, nini said:

Thank you @skynight! You get what I was saying... the price PER OUNCE has DOUBLED!

true, most wines on the menu were $12.00 or less, IF THEY HAVE THEM IN STOCK!

Therefore, yes the price has increased. I was a bartender and am a wine drinker, therefore I do know what I am talking about.

BTW- Port was on the dining room menu but they did not have any.

The entire ship ran out of half-n-half one day. "It was in storage". Maybe they could have     restocked overnight?

You do realize that there are supply chain issues?  That is precisely the reason why certain wines or alcohol is not on the ship.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toofewcruises said:

You do realize that there are supply chain issues?  That is precisely the reason why certain wines or alcohol is not on the ship.  

Do you think I am an ignoramus? DH and I own a small business and H E Double L, YES I know there are supply chain issues! P.S. I do not live under a rock.

This does negate the FACT that wine costs more per ounce, regardless of being able to order two glasses of wine at once.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

Why arent they using a measure?

I suppose one answer could be the number of bottles open in the number of locations pouring times the number of ships at sea, coupled with the need to enforce their use. 

16 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Even better....I recall in some European countries we have been to, they must have strict laws about wine pours as the glasses are marked with a pour line.....

In the UK wine measures are 125ml, 175ml and 250ml at majority of places.

19 hours ago, toofewcruises said:

And exactly the reason people who purchased the Plus package are not getting what they paid for in advance.

It is different when you do not have the package and pay by the drink and thus can pay less for a lesser quality brand.