Warning if planning to travel to the Port the day of the Cruise!!!

News Reporting: Airlines cancel hundreds of flights before summer travel season because of pilot shortage

-Leading the trend has been Southwest Airlines, which has cut nearly 20,000 flights.

-U.S. airlines are trying to hire at least 12,000 pilots this year.

-Delta, meanwhile, said it was canceling 100 daily flights from July 1 through Aug. 7 in the U.S. and Latin America.

Edited by Mr. Green
  • Like 2

• Mr. Green changed the title to Warning if planning to travel to the Port the day of the Cruise!!!
47 minutes ago, Mr. Green said:

News Reporting: Airlines cancel hundreds of flights before summer travel season because of pilot shortage

-Leading the trend has been Southwest Airlines, which has cut nearly 20,000 flights.

-Delta, meanwhile, said it was canceling 100 daily flights from July 1 through Aug. 7 in the U.S. and Latin America.

Yeah, if you ever remotely watch the news you'll know this has been going on for months. Lots of stories out there about this since Easter at least.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Meanwhile I just got an email from American, as our flight is indicated as "busy" due to passenger load, offering us 6 alternatives for our flight, if we wanted the option, to FL tomorrow for our Saturday cruise departure.  I think the issues will be further into the summer season and scattered across the airlines.  

But obviously whenever possible it is best to travel in the day before to have the cushion.  In our case if there was a disruption to our flight we would just drive.

• Like 2

If possible we never fly the same day as our cruise for the aforementioned reasons.  We are sailing on the AOS out of Port Liberty on August 18th, 2022.  We are flying Delta on the 17th at 5 PM.  We have two other flights leaving CVG on the 17th which would get us to Newark.  If all flights fail my plan B is to drive from Northern KY to Port Liberty which is about a 10 hour drive.  Always have a plan B.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ky Bill said:

If possible we never fly the same day as our cruise for the aforementioned reasons.  We are sailing on the AOS out of Port Liberty on August 18th, 2022.  We are flying Delta on the 17th at 5 PM.  We have two other flights leaving CVG on the 17th which would get us to Newark.  If all flights fail my plan B is to drive from Northern KY to Port Liberty which is about a 10 hour drive.  Always have a plan B.

Bill

my plan b would be to scramble for another flight. I cant drive to miami from dallas to oasis in 1 day and booked the day before. I'd have to start 2 days before driving. I've been reluctant to book cruises I have to fly in. I set alerts on my flight both directions.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

In our case if there was a disruption to our flight we would just drive.

That's a fun 18-hour-ish drive to Orlando, longer to South Florida... but then you can bring me cheesesteaks and pretzels! 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

That's a fun 18-hour-ish drive to Orlando, longer to South Florida... but then you can bring me cheesesteaks and pretzels! 😋

Drop off a few in Virginia too on your way down please.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

As with my previous efforts, they have not made it past my house, let alone to FedEx!!!   You may just have to plan a trip back up here.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Green said:

Keep in mind these are flights *already* cancelled, as in they removed them from their schedule earlier in the spring. It’s not flights being actively cancelled now, though those still exist and people should in fact not plan to arrive in port via air the day of their departure

• Like 1

We book our Delta flights months early with points and Delta always emails me flight changes, sometimes 3 or 4.  We fly December 11th to Fort Lauderdale and since it's December I'm prepared for the surprises already.  Hoping it'll be too early for Christmas fliers!  And that the ship will be pretty empty!  LOL  You can't beat the fare after Merion Mom's alert, we ended up with $1172 for 6 day with both RCCL properties and Jamaica in a balcony.  Dirt cheap! So keep checking those fares.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ky Bill said:

Bill

We're flying out of CVG July 16 to board Mariner on the 17th.  DW and I have already discussed it... if our flight gets canceled, we're driving to Florida!  It should be a ~14 hours, it will be a crowded minivan (4 adults, two teens), but we're going to do our best to not miss the cruise.  

Of course, our flight is at like 4:30P, so we need to make a call around 7-8p on what we're doing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We're flying out of CVG July 16 to board Mariner on the 17th.  DW and I have already discussed it... if our flight gets canceled, we're driving to Florida!  It should be a ~14 hours, it will be a crowded minivan (4 adults, two teens), but we're going to do our best to not miss the cruise.  

Of course, our flight is at like 4:30P, so we need to make a call around 7-8p on what we're doing.  

Good luck with you cruise and I think you're doing a smart thing by planning for a plan B.  If our flight fails we're going back home loading the car and driving all night.  Sure hope our flight is OK.

• Thanks 1

I was ... that guy ...  that typically flew in the day of the cruise . 

Always a direct flight , and never had any issues.

For my next cruise i booked a room in FLL and am flying in the day before.

Wife was getting nervous watching the fiasco at the Toronto Airport YYZ .

Booked a room at the Riverside to experience Las Olas Blvd.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

At least you only asked me for cheesesteaks. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

At least you only asked me for cheesesteaks. 

You weren’t driving. More room in the car & easier to transport. 😁

Haven't been back up north in a very long time but a while back my wife’s friend got married in AC… and we brought back 25 pretzels on the plane from some place on the boardwalk that sold 25 for $5 at the time.

We have Wawa now but their plastic wrapped pretzels aren’t great. I miss getting them from “the guy on the corner” as a kid.

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

It's not just airplanes. The day we were departing on the Anthem of the Seas TS from NJ, Amtrak was shut down in the entire state. Not sure how many people didn't make it. 

We always take Amtrak from the DC area to Cape Liberty, but have multiple backup plans and full tank of gas im bith the car and SUV j.i.c. Plus our son loves to drive and is prepared to chauffeur us further than the train station or airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

We have Wawa now but their plastic wrapped pretzels aren’t great. I miss getting them from “the guy on the corner” as a kid.

Yeah that is a bit of a stretch but plastic wrapped is probably better than nothing.  At least its from a Wawa - that sort of counts.  😉

15 hours ago, firefly333 said:

my plan b would be to scramble for another flight. I cant drive to miami from dallas to oasis in 1 day and booked the day before. I'd have to start 2 days before driving. I've been reluctant to book cruises I have to fly in. I set alerts on my flight both directions.

What about train from Dallas to Miami?

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

What about train from Dallas to Miami?

Iimpossible. There is no train from dallas to florida really. I once looked at the train and had to take it way north first. Took days. I could drive faster.. nothing like what is down the east coast. 

I even once looked at bus schedules. 

There is no good plan B. Lol. This is americans hub so a lot of flights on american go thru here. There is safety in numbers I hope. 6 identical flights leave here all at 830 and each one gets into miami at 345 pm or 230 or some such. Different lay overs and each has one stop, Houston, tampa, Orlando, nashville, atlanta, and new orleans. I'm on the one thru new orleans.,I dont really care which city I stop thru and if that one is delayed there are 5 more identical times leaving dallas and arriving miami. 

I could be wrong but seems like a safe bet flight. Direct flight home out of ft Lauderdale. Might have been better off direct to ft Lauderdale but oh well, I was just thinking oh I want to get to the hotel around check in time. I booked the hotel first.

I think each leg also states the ontime percentage if I click on it. 

I havent flown since before covid but I think it's always a worry since covid.  If this goes well I might book further afield. 

Just flew to Seattle from Columbus, Ohio and had a terrible day of flying. Plane delayed over 3 hours then sat on the tarmac for another 30 minutes once we arrived in Seattle waiting for a gate. Had this been on the day of the cruise I would have been a nervous wreck. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Thanks to Herb Denenberg that horribly unsanitary distribution of pretzels is a thing of the past.