Could a CDC change to pre-cruise testing requirements be coming soon?

FWIW CDC just added an alternative today, June 22, to quarantining an up-to-date vaccinated passenger, most likely for those that were traced, but tested negative. Notice the difference between those that have been "fully vaccinated" versus those that are "up-to-date" on their vaccines. 

Onboard COVID-19 Testing for Symptomatic Travelers (Crew and Passengers) and Testing and Quarantine of Close Contacts

Travelers Who Are Not Up to Date on their COVID-19 Vaccinations Travelers Who Are Up to Date on their COVID-19 Vaccinations
Testing of Travelers with Signs and Symptoms of COVID-19 NAAT Viral (NAAT or antigen)

Negative antigen test must be confirmed with NAAT

Testing and Quarantine of Asymptomatic Close Contacts without Documentation of Recovery in Past 90 Days Testing: Viral (NAAT or antigen, NAAT preferred) immediately and on day 10 before ending quarantine

Quarantine: until at least 10 days after their last exposure (the day of last close contact is counted as day 0).

*Alternatively, cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may opt to quarantine these travelers until 5 days after their last exposure followed by 5 days of daily viral testing.

**See guidance above for masking and dining requirements

Testing: Viral (NAAT or antigen, NAAT preferred) immediately and on day 5 before ending quarantine

Quarantine: until at least 5 days after their last exposure (the day of last close contact is counted as day 0)

*Alternatively, cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may opt to test these travelers with a viral test daily until 5 days after their last exposure in lieu of a 5-day quarantine.

**See guidance above for masking and dining requirements

Testing and Quarantine of Asymptomatic Close Contacts with Documentation of Recovery in Past 90 Days Testing: Not Applicable
Quarantine: Not Applicable

Technical Instructions for Mitigation of COVID-19 Among Cruise Ship Crew | Quarantine | CDC

• Thanks 2

On 6/19/2022 at 10:51 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

As they say, knowledge is power. For us, as we’re in our late 60s and both retired from the military, the decision to get double vaccinated early on and get all applicable boosters as soon as we’re eligible was a no brainer. But that’s us.

If someone still has questions about what benefits the approved vaccines and applicable boosters offer after living through over 2+ years of this pandemic

I have no issue with those who wish to get jabs or boosters but really wish the pre-boarding testing would go away especially by January - my issue is as you say "as soon as we're eligible"  for some those boosters are/will be way past optimal coverage unless we continue getting 2,3, 4+ boosters. When will it end. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

I have no issue with those who wish to get jabs or boosters but really wish the pre-boarding testing would go away especially by January - my issue is as you say "as soon as we're eligible"  for some those boosters are/will be way past optimal coverage unless we continue getting 2,3, 4+ boosters. When will it end. 

Moderna is working on a vaccine that may be available in August or September once it’s approved, that will be an annual vaccine.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Moderna is working on a vaccine that may be available in August or September once it’s approved, that will be an annual vaccine.

That's nice but..... Say someone gets it "as soon as eligible" yet doesn't sail for 8+ months -  They better accept it and not force another just to be "up to date". 

On 6/19/2022 at 8:07 AM, Mary229 said:

It is all voluntary.  It may require one of the CEOs to show some courage - not a virtue  I have noted among cruise ship executives 

Like just about everyone else, I'm OK if pre-cruise testing goes away.   But I wonder if it isn't in the cruise lines interest to voluntarily retain testing.  Like everything else it isn't foolproof, but it is, at least, a layer of defense.   Seems the last thing the industry needs is a flurry of big outbreaks publicized that cause regulators to clamp down again.   I don't know.  Just a thought.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

Like just about everyone else, I'm OK if pre-cruise testing goes away.   But I wonder if it isn't in the cruise lines interest to voluntarily retain testing.  Like everything else it isn't foolproof, but it is, at least, a layer of defense.   Seems the last thing the industry needs is a flurry of big outbreaks publicized that cause regulators to clamp down again.   I don't know.  Just a thought.   

Im not really sure it matters anymore.  Whats the difference in a cruise ship and packed 10k person conf.  Testing everybody for cruises kind of defies logic and science right now.  Some form of random testing or at least some type of triage event before testing makes sense.  

Were on the fence for cruising right now because of testing, dont need the last min no go

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 10:51 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

As they say, knowledge is power. For us, as we’re in our late 60s and both retired from the military, the decision to get double vaccinated early on and get all applicable boosters as soon as we’re eligible was a no brainer. But that’s us.

If someone still has questions about what benefits the approved vaccines and applicable boosters offer after living through over 2+ years of this pandemic, all I’m saying is there are plenty of C19 articles out there, to include those produced by the CDC and other reputable sources, to gain that additional knowledge. 

The problem is when you look at data when you get under 50, specially under 40,  the risk factor severely diminishes and for certain age groups becomes statistically insignificant in terms of covid risk.  And with vaccines at this point not providing a sure bet against not getting it or spreading but really only diminishing your symptoms, its just not a logical thing to dedicate resources to the young.  Over 50 should be the focus

3 minutes ago, fountain44 said:

The problem is when you look at data when you get under 50, specially under 40,  the risk factor severely diminishes and for certain age groups becomes statistically insignificant in terms of covid risk.  And with vaccines at this point not providing a sure bet against not getting it or spreading but really only diminishing your symptoms, its just not a logical thing to dedicate resources to the young.  Over 50 should be the focus

Makes sense when it comes to the second C19 booster shot. However, the CDC does include some special situations other than focusing on folks over 50 years old.

nCoV_template_PPT_GEN_PUB (cdc.gov)

43 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Makes sense when it comes to the second C19 booster shot. However, the CDC does include some special situations other than focusing on folks over 50 years old.

nCoV_template_PPT_GEN_PUB (cdc.gov)

True there always is the people with conditions etc.  But I was speaking to the masses.  In general we should focus on over 50, therapeutics and how to protect the vulnerable.  Worrying about everybody didnt really work last time, and Im not sure it was worthy thing to do to begin with

On 6/19/2022 at 5:25 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

If you do an internet search on “COVID severity if unvaccinated”, you will get a bunch of articles. Choose the one(s) you feel most comfortable with, as there are plenty.

How is that going to help? They contradict each other so who knows what is actually true. I want truth not propaganda and propaganda come from both extremes. Everyone has an agenda it seems. Few are like me, middle of the road.

On 6/22/2022 at 3:45 PM, SargassoPirate said:

Could be that wholesale testing of vaccinated people who are not sick is proving to be Schrodinger's Cat.

who knows? I was sick but kept testing negative but a few weeks after I started developing the mouth ulcers which they think comes to some people after having COVID. 

On 6/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, PacnGoNow said:

That is what I am hoping for. Once a year. My second booster I waited 7 months, (June 2nd) but I did it because we are going on a cruise in 3 weeks and I wanted it still l in my system, not already gone when we take, the cruise.

1 hour ago, momofmeg said:

How is that going to help? They contradict each other so who knows what is actually true. I want truth not propaganda and propaganda come from both extremes. Everyone has an agenda it seems. Few are like me, middle of the road.

Sorry. I don’t know what to tell you. We trust the guidance CDC has provided, are double boosted as we are in our late 60s with very minimal side effects from the shots, and have moved on. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sorry. I don’t know what to tell you. We trust the guidance CDC has provided, are double boosted as we are in our late 60s with very minimal side effects from the shots, and have moved on. 

Lets put this in perspective.  As of now, most cruise lines require a negative antigen test (or other test) within 2 days of a cruise.  Most cruise lines have stopped testing at embarkation, so in most cases that 2 day old test is all you get.   Most folks then travel to their embarkation port and according to nearly every expert (including the CDC) any travel increases your risk of COVID exposure.  Because of the incubation period those folks who are exposed will generally not by symptomatic when they embark, but they will likely be contagious and spreading that darn bug.  Hence there will continue to be COVID on most cruises.  But do not fear because the CDC does not demand testing before debarkation so exposed folks are free to disembark and spread that nasty bug.  Or course all this makes absolute sense :).  

The reality (which we have talked about for nearly 2 years) is that COVID is here to stay (just like Noro, Flu, URIs, etc) and is now part of our world.  Folks either take their chances and travel/cruise or they stay home (or near home) which might (or might not) give them more protection from COVID and various bugs.

What we do know is that folks can get COVID again and again and again and that even those who are fully vaccinated can get COVID (hopefully the vaccinations will reduce the severity).  Folks who want to stay home (thinking that protects them from COVID) will likely be staying home forever.  Those of us who travel (and we have been traveling extensively for the past year) just view COVID as one more risk out of many risks.  To be very honest, my biggest concern about travel are the airlines with their cancellations, delays, losing luggage, etc.  We now go to great pains (and cost) to minimize the airline risk which sometimes means driving hours to get to airports where we can get non-stop flights on pretty reliable routes.  We also now plan on flying-in at least 2 days prior to a cruise (which makes COVID testing a bit more complicated) in order to have a longer buffer in case of airline problems.

We have posted often that the airline situation in the USA and Europe is a complete unmitigated mess!   While some folks do get lucky many others are discovering that what they see on TV and read on the Internet understates the airline mess.   As to testing, we now view it as a minor thorn in the side of travel.  On one of our cruises (Seabourn Odyssey- Oct 2021) we actually needed to get 3 Antigen tests and 2 PCR tests over 16 days (they were all negative).  At least Seabourn showed some sense of humor and class when they handed us a glass of French Champagne as we arrived for our onboard testing!   Perhaps we need to change an old AMEX add ("don't leave home without it) to having a few proctored test kits ("don't leave home without it!).

Hank

• Like 3

7 hours ago, momofmeg said:

Here is something that is actually true: once something becomes politicized the truth about it becomes undiscoverable.  The history of science is replete with politically enforced consensuses* that turned out to be false from before Galileo to today.

* I was surprised to learn that the plural of consensus was consensuses, not consensi.  It's not a word whose plural is seen much.

• Like 3

On 6/19/2022 at 11:07 AM, Mary229 said:

It is all voluntary.  It may require one of the CEOs to show some courage - not a virtue 

I think the CEO’s are showing courage by keeping the pre cruise testing requirement.

Well done

PS - we are definitely masking up when flying in so no need to worry about us carrying it

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

On 6/28/2022 at 12:32 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

Honey, I did not mean the CDC.  I was referring to the comment to google for answers.  However, I am not sure the CDC is that much better than basic googling, lol!

Yes, I am boosted and yes, I will be masked up, BTW. My comment was not about that.

• Like 1

Just saw this article today. 

Holland America Line is changing its COVID-19 testing requirements for selected sailings onboard the new Rotterdam.

“As health protocols around the world continue to evolve, we are adjusting our policies to align with those of the countries we visit,” the company said in a statement sent to travel advisors.

As a result, guests sailing on the 2021-built vessel on July 10, July 17 and July 24 won’t need to show a negative COVID-19 test before boarding.

Holland America Removes Pre-Boarding COVID-19 Testing for Selected Sailings - Cruise Industry News

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just saw this article today. 

Holland America Line is changing its COVID-19 testing requirements for selected sailings onboard the new Rotterdam.

“As health protocols around the world continue to evolve, we are adjusting our policies to align with those of the countries we visit,” the company said in a statement sent to travel advisors.

As a result, guests sailing on the 2021-built vessel on July 10, July 17 and July 24 won’t need to show a negative COVID-19 test before boarding.

Holland America Removes Pre-Boarding COVID-19 Testing for Selected Sailings - Cruise Industry News

That really scares me. Older crowd on HAL, usually.

Are they testing the waters?

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

If you are in a risk group, of which older folks are, then you should not cruise if you think you wouldn't survive an infection.

The cruise lines need to stop hand holding people so I applaud this move.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Old folks have been dying and getting sick on cruise ships for years, yet now you notice.   Look I think everyone in the vaccinated world is done with the dictates and feels if you are an adult it is up to you to assess your own risks.  The notion that the cruise line or anyone else is responsible for anyone’s medical conditions if overreaching.  Should you cruise!  talk it over with your own personal physician.  Can you imagine if businesses started barring people because of their assumed health, what a nightmare 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Old folks have been dying and getting sick on cruise ships for years, yet now you notice.   Look I think everyone in the vaccinated world is done with the dictates and feels if you are an adult it is up to you to assess your own risks.  The notion that the cruise line or anyone else is responsible for anyone’s medical conditions if overreaching.  Should you cruise!  talk it over with your own personal physician.  Can you imagine if businesses started barring people because of their assumed health, what a nightmare 

No, I’ve noticed that for years.  I was not talking about myself.  

I'm not worried about cruising, flying, eating a restaurant, attending a movie, attending a concert, or any other life activity. I'm vaxxed and boosted.  Sure, there are a few people who are vaccinated and who still get covid, but the illness are milder - which is what the vaccine is supposed to do - and therapeutics are available.  

Consider this information from the CDC and see who is causing the spikes from the variants. 

CDC COVID Data Tracker: Rates of COVID-19 Cases and Deaths by Vaccination Status

On 7/1/2022 at 2:36 PM, SargassoPirate said:

I'm not worried about cruising, flying, eating a restaurant, attending a movie, attending a concert, or any other life activity. I'm vaxxed and boosted.  Sure, there are a few people who are vaccinated and who still get covid, but the illness are milder - which is what the vaccine is supposed to do - and therapeutics are available.  

Consider this information from the CDC and see who is causing the spikes from the variants. 

CDC COVID Data Tracker: Rates of COVID-19 Cases and Deaths by Vaccination Status

Exactly. At my workplace, every employee is vaccinated. I am boosted. We currently have an outbreak of Covid among us because of the busy summer travel season. It is a mild outbreak with people only fee!ing bad for a few days compared to what we (as a workgroup) went through in early 2020. 

I still have not officially tested positive in the past two years although I'm quite sure I've had to have had it at some point since coworkers and husband have both tested positive for it. That to me is proof that vaccines do their job. 

Edited by mics pics
Clarity