The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday June 20th, 2022

richwmn

We are finally seeing the end of our wet and cold Spring here in the Pacific Northwest.  It will be in the 70s a couple of days this week and they predicted 81 for next Sunday.  Yesterday our DS came over to take us to a movie theater to see Top Gun Maverick.  He lives about 50 miles from us.  We enjoyed it - first time in a movie theater for about 3 years.  Wore a mask except when eating popcorn.  It is my understanding that a lot of people are allergic to cats; thus bringing one to a workspace would not be a good idea.

Ray

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a hot and sunny central Texas.   There are predictions for a possible thunderstorm this afternoon.  I'm not holding my breath, but I will be happy if one pops up.

Today, I thought I'd mix things up a bit and post my pictures first, and then make comments later.

We have been to Souda and Chania twice.  The first time was in 2017 on Prinsendam, and the second time was in 2019 on Veendam.  Both times, we took the shuttle from Souda to Chania and walked around town.  Except for the bus ride, we did not see much of Souda.  The shuttle dropped us off by a park across from the Old Chania Market.  From there we walked around the area and the Old Venetian Port of Chania.

The area where the shuttle dropped us off, and it's the beginning for the modern part of Chania.  It was next to the little park where the statue in @Vict0riann  Ann's picture stands.

DSC02140.thumb.JPG.3359bc5d39f696a3e01cf3aeb09e17c2.JPG

Pictures from the Old Chania Market.

DSC07776.thumb.JPG.57f74a656b281b398eba7b3028b7e843.JPG

DSC02137.thumb.JPG.86e4070fcb102b1d6a84e4c80c975a97.JPG

DSC02139.thumb.JPG.ca0e1879896d5b631fefa7d2cd3c681a.JPG

Walking through Old Chania

DSC07806.thumb.JPG.b8baddf8f235e9477cf1704148f8e454.JPG

DSC02136.thumb.JPG.6000a7a3ae5830853f763cc54518a686.JPG

A nice plaza with shops, restaurants and shade

DSC07782.thumb.JPG.c6b908d8f9499f50b44817ff48bc9d8f.JPG

The Presentation of the Virgin Mary Metropolitan Church in the back ground

DSC07781.thumb.JPG.d682060187b7e8e53526b78790ecbcf9.JPG

The Church

DSC07785.thumb.JPG.5258c99d8b31a3e0a011f6eae479f58b.JPG

DSC07784.thumb.JPG.6f06c8ba025b9bee742a6b01009f0a7f.JPG

The sea entrance to the Old Venetian Port.  The Lighthouse of Chania is on the right and the Firka Venetian Fortress is on the left.

DSC07802.thumb.JPG.7f73b662af37eae0217f769d65b18398.JPG

Looking across the harbor

DSC02122.thumb.JPG.8ca9054b10f89e3b934f832d4235d6cb.JPG

DSC07789.thumb.JPG.dd9966b1a10895fb415f06d5cc08bcae.JPG

Looking toward the Kyuchuk Hassan Mosque, which is now a museum.

DSC02131.thumb.JPG.1160c2d5152d32fd8f97ceffc50315bb.JPG

The mosque and a couple of the exhibits.  The first one was from 2017 and the second was from 2018.

DSC07793.thumb.JPG.ba621e0eefe4ff8f470317559e1c833a.JPG

DSC02114.thumb.JPG.d4d483b2c47ce6e3fd37e489b7e90090.JPG

DSC07794.thumb.JPG.2b60314a5e8ad2ea1c523db38a407946.JPG

Past the mosque and around the corner are several restaurants and the small boat harbor.

DSC02110.thumb.JPG.1a8887e22d99e7de7b6d1fe66ad70b46.JPG

Chania is a lovely place to spend several hours relaxing, shopping, sightseeing and people watching.  We enjoyed our visits there.

Lenda

DSC02115.JPG

DSC07803.JPG

Fantastic selection of photos Lenda.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good afternoon.I am very late today as DH was not feeling well and needed to see the primary  care Doc.We are home in one piece and have medication  that  will help.

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi, so sorry you are still positive

@dfish,Debbie  Congratulations  on the new baby girl in the family

take care all

Best wishes that your husband is feeling a lot better now.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I haven't had an ice cream soda since college. I'll salute bald eagles. We have several nests around, with cameras on 2 of them. The one that I follow just had all 3 eaglets fledge, and this couple has had 18 hatch since 2013. No cat here, and no job since retiring. I like the quote.

I like the meal. I'll pass on the drink and wine (sounds good, but too pricey for me).

I haven't been to Chania. Thanks for the pictures @Vict0riann @Quartzsite Cruiser @bennybear @sailingdutchy.

It's our last cooler day today, although the humidity is up a bit and there's been a few sprinkles of rain. I made an early morning Aldi run. I was thinking of doing some edging of the lawn, but my hands are bothering me a bit; I may still try later.

@StLouisCruisers Sorry to hear you're still testing positive. Good luck to you and DH with tomorrow's testing.

@dobiemom Have fun! I haven't been to a county fair in ages.

@cat shepard Good to hear that you feel well today.

@aliaschief I'm glad DGD is doing fine despite the swimmer's earache.

@dfish Congrats to your DS on the new DGD and a new baby in the family! 

@HAL Sailer Continued prayers for Curt. What a lovely sentiment about the Daily dinner table!

@smitty34877 I hope DH feels better soon. Prayers for him, and for Tana.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

The Hays Bald Eagles

Bald eagle pair welcomes chick after losing nest, 2 eggs earlier this  season - pennlive.com

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

59 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

I was just preparing and putting my story together and all of a sudden all these pictures started showing up . Thank you all but here is my contribution . 

We are getting busy for our next cruise a few months from now in the Mediterranean where the Oosterdam will take us to Souda again , we were there last October like @Vict0riann and also took the shuttle from the port to Chania  .

After visiting the market and making a few purchases we walked to the pretty port of Chania , enjoyed a nice beverage when a flash thunderstorm opened the skies which was good for a few nice pictures ! 

Have a great day everybody ! Be well ! 

Tony 😁

IMG_4830 2.JPG

IMG_4832.JPG

Just to be clear dear Martha did NOT bend that tree 

IMG_4834.JPG

IMG_4844.JPG

IMG_4849.JPG

IMG_4863.JPG

IMG_4865.JPG

We had to abandon our seats on the front row on the terrace  but 20 min later everything was normal again ,

IMG_4868.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

After returning on the shuttle and the captain was ready to leave we enjoyed watching a beautiful sunset  in Souda 

IMG_0391.jpg

Excellent photos Tony.

Nice photo of your dear wife too.

Chania is lovely.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Back from shelter and the good news is that the roof did not leak during yesterday's downpours. The bad news is that the Shelter Director and at least one of the staff have tested positive Covid. That virus will not give up!!!! Second time around for both.

Have not been to today's destination. The main meal tonight will be Shrimp scampi as I work to clear out some left overs. 

Back to sorting.

Susan

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Home made Belgian Waffles have been consumed, and we're packing up and getting ready to leave for the beach.  Our car looks like we're bringing supplies for an army, and for much longer than 3 days. 😉  

Nana is tired already! 

Have a happy and safe week everyone. 🙂  

• Like 24

Good afternoon.  I was about halfway through typing this post when all but the last sentence disappeared.  I'll blame the CC gremlins, but in reality, I probably hit the wrong key.  I also don't know how I missed that I had not put two pictures in the earlier post, but CC added them at the end.

It is another hot day, with the temperature reaching 97F before 1 pm, and it's now 100+ at 2 pm.  I may not look at the thermometer again today.  

We both like ice cream floats and DH likes ice cream sodas.  He prefers them with Coke and I prefer mine with root beer, but it's been a long time since we've either.  DN has been known to get a large glass of vanilla ice cream in the Lido and take it back to the cabin where he'll add Coke to the glass.

We both enjoy seeing the bald eagles when we are in Alaska.  When we had cats and DH had his office at home, one of our cats, Sandy, was definitely the office cat.  She like to walk or sleep on the keyboard.  This was back in the day of the daisy wheel printers, and she loved to bat at the wheel when the printer was running.  It was fun to watch her, but we had to be very careful to thoroughly proofread what was written to delete her contributions.  

@richwmn  Thank you for mentioning motorcycle/scooter day.  When we lived in The Woodlands, DH had a Gold Winn and a scooter.  The townhouse we used for an office/guest house was about a mile away, and he would ride the scooter to work in good weather.

The wine and the meal both sound good, but we'll pass on the drink.  Tonight, we'll finish the chicken salad from Saturday.  I don't know what else we'll have with it, but I know there will be wine and the brownies DD sent home with us yesterday.  Sounds like a balance meal to me.  🤣

@dfish  The arrival of your DS's grandbaby is wonderful news.  I hope there will be a lot if pictures in the future, so we'll have two little ones to watch grow up.

@dobiemom  Enjoy your mini-trip to the county fair.

@aliaschief I'm sorry your DGD has swimmers ear, but glad the medicine is taking care of it.

@kazu  Jacqui, I saw what that person said to you yesterday, and I totally agree with what @Seasick Sailor Joy said about it.  That is why I stay off the main board a lot and post even less.

@HAL Sailer  Your comment about the Daily comparing it to the dinner table is very true, and was such a nice thing to say.  Curt is in our thoughts.

@ger_77  Gerry, the gate and the armillary your DH designed are lovely.  He has many talents.

@durangoscots  Susan, I'm happy the shelter roof did not leak.  But YIKES 😱 that the Shelter Director and one staff member have Covid for the second time.  

@grapau27  Graham, thank you for the kind words about my pictures.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm sorry your hands are bothering you today.

@smitty34877  Terri, I hope your DH is feeling better soon.

There's not much else going on around here today.  We bought new sheets, and they have been washed with one set now on the bed.  I will have to alter the pillowcases since the sheets come with king size pillows and we use regular pillows on our king size bed.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

20 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon.  I was about halfway through typing this post when all but the last sentence disappeared.  I'll blame the CC gremlins, but in reality, I probably hit the wrong key.  I also don't know how I missed that I had not put two pictures in the earlier post, but CC added them at the end.

It is another hot day, with the temperature reaching 97F before 1 pm, and it's now 100+ at 2 pm.  I may not look at the thermometer again today.  

We both like ice cream floats and DH likes ice cream sodas.  He prefers them with Coke and I prefer mine with root beer, but it's been a long time since we've either.  DN has been known to get a large glass of vanilla ice cream in the Lido and take it back to the cabin where he'll add Coke to the glass.

We both enjoy seeing the bald eagles when we are in Alaska.  When we had cats and DH had his office at home, one of our cats, Sandy, was definitely the office cat.  She like to walk or sleep on the keyboard.  This was back in the day of the daisy wheel printers, and she loved to bat at the wheel when the printer was running.  It was fun to watch her, but we had to be very careful to thoroughly proofread what was written to delete her contributions.  

@richwmn  Thank you for mentioning motorcycle/scooter day.  When we lived in The Woodlands, DH had a Gold Winn and a scooter.  The townhouse we used for an office/guest house was about a mile away, and he would ride the scooter to work in good weather.

The wine and the meal both sound good, but we'll pass on the drink.  Tonight, we'll finish the chicken salad from Saturday.  I don't know what else we'll have with it, but I know there will be wine and the brownies DD sent home with us yesterday.  Sounds like a balance meal to me.  🤣

@dfish  The arrival of your DS's grandbaby is wonderful news.  I hope there will be a lot if pictures in the future, so we'll have two little ones to watch grow up.

@dobiemom  Enjoy your mini-trip to the county fair.

@aliaschief I'm sorry your DGD has swimmers ear, but glad the medicine is taking care of it.

@kazu  Jacqui, I saw what that person said to you yesterday, and I totally agree with what @Seasick Sailor Joy said about it.  That is why I stay off the main board a lot and post even less.

@HAL Sailer  Your comment about the Daily comparing it to the dinner table is very true, and was such a nice thing to say.  Curt is in our thoughts.

@ger_77  Gerry, the gate and the armillary your DH designed are lovely.  He has many talents.

@durangoscots  Susan, I'm happy the shelter roof did not leak.  But YIKES 😱 that the Shelter Director and one staff member have Covid for the second time.  

@grapau27  Graham, thank you for the kind words about my pictures.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm sorry your hands are bothering you today.

@smitty34877  Terri, I hope your DH is feeling better soon.

There's not much else going on around here today.  We bought new sheets, and they have been washed with one set now on the bed.  I will have to alter the pillowcases since the sheets come with king size pillows and we use regular pillows on our king size bed.

Lenda

Your pictures are always excellent Lenda and portray each port perfectly.

Thank you for always posting them.

I didn't see what was posted against Jacqui @kazubut I agree that these people should be more respectful and it does make you wary of getting too involved on certain forum's.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10

Good afternoon everyone from home!  Just a short check in to say that we arrived home safely after a very long day of traveling, approximately 25 hours from beginning to end, some of it due to flight delays and most of it because we have to take an extra flight to get to Tucson.   We left Venice airport at 8:15 am and got home at 11:30 pm home time. 

Working on unpacking and laundry. We did use the hotel laundry and I’ll just say that we are so fortunate on HAL to have free laundry. 

Have a great day everyone!

We boarded our Venice to London flight the old fashioned way. 

4CCCCC85-AA84-49AE-95F0-5A2A420AE106.thumb.jpeg.fee8dd561736e5689988de657c7f2a24.jpeg

A delightful and delicious chocolate mousse on the flight. 

C5F0D2DC-62F9-44AA-BA06-704156591645.thumb.jpeg.8fd05c7df3c408f593ad5e1c22dd76db.jpeg

My pre dinner cocktail. I don’t remember the name. It was good. BTW, I was watching Rocket Man with subtitles. Subtitles really help me if there’s background noise. It was a good movie. 

ABBE3E7F-0F28-43DA-A6CE-0EADBC154F65.thumb.jpeg.204c05e69b76f7c8eb651a27ce84d596.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon everyone from home!  Just a short check in to say that we arrived home safely after a very long day of traveling, approximately 25 hours from beginning to end, some of it due to flight delays and most of it because we have to take an extra flight to get to Tucson.   We left Venice airport at 8:15 am and got home at 11:30 pm home time. 

Working on unpacking and laundry. We did use the hotel laundry and I’ll just say that we are so fortunate on HAL to have free laundry. 

4CCCCC85-AA84-49AE-95F0-5A2A420AE106.thumb.jpeg.fee8dd561736e5689988de657c7f2a24.jpeg

C5F0D2DC-62F9-44AA-BA06-704156591645.thumb.jpeg.8fd05c7df3c408f593ad5e1c22dd76db.jpeg

My pre dinner cocktail. I don’t remember the name. It was good. BTW, I was watching Rocket Man with subtitles. Subtitles really help me if there’s background noise. It was a good movie. 

ABBE3E7F-0F28-43DA-A6CE-0EADBC154F65.thumb.jpeg.204c05e69b76f7c8eb651a27ce84d596.jpeg

Welcome home.  Glad you arrived safely after a long day.

Lenda

• Like 11

Ok, baby picture time.  This little lady still does not have a name.  They are taking their time.  

1766686723_BabyMoomey.jpeg.f93f629c645d84798e41152da5c59643.jpeg

And here is Oliver.  He is getting big so quickly!  Four months old.

Oliver.thumb.jpg.21c2b4d13af589c98e212b7c75d07674.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, dfish said:

Ok, baby picture time.  This little lady still does not have a name.  They are taking their time.  

Debbie, thanks for the pictures.  Both cute kids.  The new baby looks like she's trying to figure out who everyone is.

Lenda

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Wow that was a long day Sharon but pleased you got home safely and hopefully you avoided the chaos at terminal 2 and 3 at London Heathrow airport.

Graham.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Lovely photos Debbie.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Have to say I agree with you - HAL’s laundry is a bargain (even if you don’t get free laundry 😉) and well done.

Glad you are home safely.  Hope you can manage through “great trip withdrawal”.

3 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Back from shelter and the good news is that the roof did not leak during yesterday's downpours. The bad news is that the Shelter Director and at least one of the staff have tested positive Covid. That virus will not give up!!!! Second time around for both.

Yay on the roof 👍 Good to hear.

But DAM on the shelter manager & a staff member being positive.  That’s going to make the shelter take a hit 😔. Hope it doesn’t add more work you you?  🤞 

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

we're packing up and getting ready to leave for the beach.  Our car looks like we're bringing supplies for an army, and for much longer than 3 days. 😉  

Nana is tired already! 

I don’t blame you for being tired and fear you are going to be a LOT more tired before the beach is done. 😔 😉. But, I’m sure you will have fun 🤞 

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good afternoon.I am very late today as DH was not feeling well and needed to see the primary  care Doc.We are home in one piece and have medication  that  will help.

Glad the medication should help.  I hope your DH is feeling a LOT better soon 🤞 

@dfishnot sure what happened to my quote of your new angel (aka niece).  She is gorgeous and looks so alert.  Whatever her name may be, welcome to the world, little princess 🙂 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Now self-medicating with Pinot Noir after dropping the entire contents of a rice cooker on the floor. The rice was for tomorrow so there is time to cook another batch.

I feel for you!  I'd be self-medicating, too!  Sorry it happened, hope you're alright and didn't get burned.

• Like 10