Any tips for a Carnival newbie, sailing soon on the Pride

debsjc

We are sailing on the Pride ex Dover UK in a couple of weeks. Have taken quite a few cruises before, but we are new to Carnival.

Any good advice for us..... your favourite places on the ship, best things to eat, Carnival highlights we shouldn't miss? 

Thanks

4 hours ago, May1cruiser said:

Pride has a nice "hidden" garden/path in the bow for relaxing / reading. It's a quiet escape from the crowds. Crew was fantastic. 

Another vote for the garden.  Deck 3 forward, goes all the way around the bow.  Round windows with tables for 2 and a few benches.  A great place to escape the hustle and bustle, sit and watch the ocean go by.  Most of the people you see are either exploring, or crew passing through.  EM

• Like 1

Thank you for all the really useful information.

Can I ask how Carnival works with tickets for the entertainment shows at the moment, do we need to pre-book?

Also how they do tendering.... if you get tickets for a set time in advance, or go along when you are ready and wait 

21 hours ago, debsjc said:

We are sailing on the Pride ex Dover UK in a couple of weeks. Have taken quite a few cruises before, but we are new to Carnival.

Any good advice for us..... your favourite places on the ship, best things to eat, Carnival highlights we shouldn't miss? 

Thanks

Highly recommended by most every one. Farenheit555 steak house. If you book it the first day you get a free bottle of wine red or white or 50% off of your choice of wine. The food is awesome. Only $39.00 per person including the gratuity. Well worth it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, debsjc said:

Thank you for all the really useful information.

Can I ask how Carnival works with tickets for the entertainment shows at the moment, do we need to pre-book?

Also how they do tendering.... if you get tickets for a set time in advance, or go along when you are ready and wait 

Carnival does not pre-book any of the ship entertainment.  It is first come, first served.   Sometimes seating is not a problem, but I have seen lines on some of the larger ships for comedy shows with waiting beginning 30 to 45 early.  Productions are generally not an issue.  

• Like 1

Carnival is known for its comedy shows.  Try to catch one on your cruise.  

Among my favorite dishes are the French Toast at Brunch and the Dessert soufflé.  Also check out Guy’s Burgers.  The deli is also good.  

Hope you have a great cruise.  

• Like 1

On the Panorama, I would take my laptop and sit outside the doors to the theater for about a half hour before the doors open so I can get a seat I wanted. 

I plan on doing the same my next trip. I'm working on my doctorate so I have plenty of homework lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Highly recommended by most every one. Farenheit555 steak house. If you book it the first day you get a free bottle of wine red or white or 50% off of your choice of wine. The food is awesome. Only $39.00 per person including the gratuity. Well worth it.

Pride doesn't have a Fahrenheit 555, it has an unbranded Steakhouse named "David's" after the statue and the price is now $42 per person.

It was excellent last week though, best cruise meal in years!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Pride doesn't have a Fahrenheit 555, it has an unbranded Steakhouse named "David's" after the statue and the price is now $42 per person.

I thought that was the case when I first read it, thanks for clarifying it. (We tried the steakhouse for the first time on Legend and we will likely make it a point to have one meal there each trip. Definitely worth the upcharge.)

OP I would also recommend Blue Iguana for breakfast or lunch. Made to order burritos and tacos. I waited way to long to give it a try, don't make my mistake.

• Like 1

Carnival does lunch venues really well. Guy’s Burgers are excellent (and free) with hand cut fries. They also have Blue Iguana which is like a chipotle style (watch them make your burrito/taco) and they’re really good. They even serve breakfast burritos and there’s a salsa bar (also free) 24 hr ice cream too.

As far as entertainment goes they don’t pre-book any of the shows so if it’s something like comedy there could potentially be people lined up to get in. But even with the line it’s usually possible to get a seat if you don’t line up. 
Carnival also offers a drink package that I personally think is reasonably priced. Covers milkshakes, bottled drinks, soda, energy drinks, specialty coffee, and alcohol (they cap alcohol at 15 a day for safety) but the other drinks are unlimited. So for sure check into that if you’re a drinker. We’re not heavy drinkers but would for sure do better than break even especially with the coffee included.

Depending on the rate you booked and the cabin category, if your cabin category isn’t sold out and you see a price drop they’ll match it for on board credit. 
I also agree with the suggestion for a meal in the steakhouse. If you go the first night you get a complementary bottle of wine to take with you or consume during dinner. 
We really do enjoy carnival and I hope you do too. Come back with more questions as you have them and we’ll try to answer them! I just threw in some info that I would want if I were a newbie.

• Like 2

Some tips and hints for a fellow Brit sailing on Carnival

1: Bring your own tea bags, you won't like the free tea provided

2: Bring an extension lead with 3-4 sockets as you'll only be able to use one socket in the room even with a travel adaptor

3: Download the Carnival Hub App, everything works through the App, booking dinner, times for activities, etc

4: You can't book for the Production shows, Comedy Club, etc but the good thing about Carnival Pride compared to the newer Carnival ships is that it has a really big theatre and a big Comedy club so there's no need to queue or get there very early. 

• Like 1

didnt read the other comments just went straight to reply so my apologies if duplicated info.  

1. eat a Guy Fieri burger.  my hunch is you'll be back for more before end of cruise.  

2. i dont know the Pride but if it has Dive In Movies on lido deck try to catch a flick you havent seen.  i love doing that.  

3. i like the trivia contests, try to attend one that interests you.  

4. if they have the "newlywed show" try to catch that.  hysterical.  

5. try some entrees you've never had from the buffet.  perhaps new cuisines to you? 

6. i like attending the morning cruise director show with a cup of coffee, usually in the theatre.  kinda chill.  

7. i havent attended a comedy show or the piano bar in a few cruises but that was something i used to do religiously.  

8. if they have an 80s music night in the lobby bar or lido deck i can give that double thumbs up.  usually hosted by the cruise director.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

Carnival does lunch venues really well. Guy’s Burgers are excellent (and free) with hand cut fries. They also have Blue Iguana which is like a chipotle style (watch them make your burrito/taco) and they’re really good. They even serve breakfast burritos and there’s a salsa bar (also free) 24 hr ice cream too.

As far as entertainment goes they don’t pre-book any of the shows so if it’s something like comedy there could potentially be people lined up to get in. But even with the line it’s usually possible to get a seat if you don’t line up. 
Carnival also offers a drink package that I personally think is reasonably priced. Covers milkshakes, bottled drinks, soda, energy drinks, specialty coffee, and alcohol (they cap alcohol at 15 a day for safety) but the other drinks are unlimited. So for sure check into that if you’re a drinker. We’re not heavy drinkers but would for sure do better than break even especially with the coffee included.

Depending on the rate you booked and the cabin category, if your cabin category isn’t sold out and you see a price drop they’ll match it for on board credit. 
I also agree with the suggestion for a meal in the steakhouse. If you go the first night you get a complementary bottle of wine to take with you or consume during dinner. 
We really do enjoy carnival and I hope you do too. Come back with more questions as you have them and we’ll try to answer them! I just threw in some info that I would want if I were a newbie.

Be aware the hand cut fries are currently not available 😞

12 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Did not know that. When did the price go up? I Just paid $39.00pp two weeks ago for my up coming cruise on the Liberty. Glad to hear it was a great meal. Must be doing the same as the 555. At $42.00 still worth it.

6 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Did not know that. When did the price go up? I Just paid $39.00pp two weeks ago for my up coming cruise on the Liberty. Glad to hear it was a great meal. Must be doing the same as the 555. At $42.00 still worth it.

It went up for all bookings from new bookings only in May (all existing bookings retained old price)

8 hours ago, debsjc said:

Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate all the great advice. It's going to be exciting to try a new cruise line. 

One person suggested as a Brit you may want to bring your own tea bags. They have Lipton so I (Canadian in past life) would suggest you will be fine with it, unless you need Red Rose!

12 hours ago, JimmyTheSaint said:

Some tips and hints for a fellow Brit sailing on Carnival

2: Bring an extension lead with 3-4 sockets as you'll only be able to use one socket in the room even with a travel adaptor

1.)Yes to extension- make sure No surge protector is part of it, those are not allowed. 

2.)I can add- a small collapsible cooler (Carnival size is 12” x 12”j - you can always put in shower or sink if your seams are leakproof. Good for excursion, and keeping items cold in room. 

3.) Sailing out one is allowed to bring on up to 12- 12oz cans of a soda,seltzer,juice etc. 

4.)I prefer for cruise convenience pre purchasing bottled water from Carnivals gift shop under beverages. Same can be done for other items - cake,cookies,room decoration, even liquor.

etc.

5,)Carnival has switched to us g sugar dispensers, which I found inconvenient if I was in our cabin, or away from lido area (buffet.) I bring sugar packets in a ziploc and carry some with me. OR plan ahead in Lido area, fill a spare cup with sugar to use. Same goes for lack of straws - for environment they cut them out. So plan ahead. 

They do have the pink/blue packets yet, but also had to ask for Splenda (yellow packets)if needed that type. Just plan ahead.  

6.) If in a balcony room and curtain light bothers you- clip it closed with one of the hangers in closet with clips for pants. 

7.)We also cover the bathroom drains to avoid any smells from going into room just in case.

8.) Never open balcony door and hall door at same time- it becomes a cabin wind fest. Same goes for closing doors - please be courteous and just let them go and not letting them slam. 

9.)MOST IMPORTANT - in main dining room you can order as many appetizers,mains,desserts in combo or two’s. No rules on quantity. 

10.)Wind on deck /piers- watch your hats, and if you put your sign n’sail card on a lanyard- I have seen them flyoff. 

11.)I being an insulated commuter cup (with a lid that seals well) for beverages. Also some ziplocs- (plastic sealed bags) that way the cookies, or say banana bread or danish from breakfast  I brought to cabin from lido keeps fresh for snack later. However you cannot bring any not sealed from manufacturer anytime off ship. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

6. i like attending the morning cruise director show with a cup of coffee, usually in the theatre.  kinda chill.  

The current cruise director doesn't do a daily morning show. 

Do your own Ports of Call research. The Carnival Adventures Desk no longer provides any kind of printed Ports information. Guest Services doesn't have any Ports information either. They can't even tell you which pier you will be docking at. Seriously. 

• Like 1

*Agree with bringing your own tea bags. Even the pay coffee place only had 2 kinds of tea bags. The buffet should have Liptons and a green tea, although many days the green tea was not to be found anywhere dues to supply shortages.

*The Deli in buffet is excellent. 

*ALL the desserts on the ship are excellent. The cakes at the buffet taste as good as they look. The chocolate chip cookies at the buffet are amazing. Very crunchy and the chocolate chips are so good. The desserts in the MDR are excellent too. The melting chocolate cake can be under baked though, unfortunately.

*The ship in general is cold in temperature. People's comfort level with indoor temperatures are always different, but if you get warm easily the inside of the Pride will be comfortable. Conversely if you get cold easily you'll need a sweater, sweatshirt, etc to wear around the ship. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1