Azamara drink packages and included drinks

Sandrav

12 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Latest Azamara newsletter has a link to the wine page of the website I’ve not noticed this page before so it’s interesting to read. Under “Sip & Swirl at Sea” it lays out the latest policy which is for the Azamara branded wines supplemented by local wines when available. We’ve not encountered the new wines so can’t offer an opinion, hopefully at the end of August on Quests Wine & Culture Voyage we’ll experience it in action.

https://www.azamara.co.uk/blog/azamara-wines-onboard-ashore

The “supplemented by local wines” part sounds really promising. A bit like the food menu, with reliable stand-bys always available, and more adventurous things to try as well. Fingers crossed the Azamara branded wines are nicely drinkable!

• Like 3

The one thing with the branded wines, our judgements good and bad are all down to personal taste - we are not going to be influenced by labels and our perceived knowledge of price.  Last cruise three of the four whites were not to my taste, the fourth was "tolerable just" but as I say thats my taste and also of course as with all drink very dependent on what I am eating at the time

Edited by uktog
spelling
  • Like 5

On our May Spain Intensive we were unfortunate enough to have been presented with 2 bottles that were definitely off. 

One , a Chardonnay in the MDR that tasted most foul. The other , a Viognier, in Aquelina which we never even tasted. It was brown.... 

I suspect they had been stored incorrectly whilst the ships were laid up.

15 hours ago, uktog said:

The one thing with the branded wines, our judgements good and bad are all down to personal taste - we are not going to be influenced by labels and our perceived knowledge of price.  Last cruise three of the four whites were not to my taste, the fourth was "tolerable just" but as I say thats my taste and also of course as with all drink very dependent on what I am eating at the time

And on our March/April Quest cruises with the branded wines, mostly reds, 1 was terrible, one was mostly bad, two were tolerable.  I gave the Hotel Director comments that this quality, and inconsistancy between days/ bottles, would not sit well with most cruisers who had any wine expereince at all.    If all you want is "red" so be it... but most of us want more...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lisiamc said:

The “supplemented by local wines” part sounds really promising. A bit like the food menu, with reliable stand-bys always available, and more adventurous things to try as well. Fingers crossed the Azamara branded wines are nicely drinkable!

On my Pursuit cruise in June, the Azamara branded Italian Merlot vas ok.

• Like 1

As I have said before, I find the "included" and extra priced differences etc difficult to understand.

What you get at a bar (don't know about the new Onward bar) is easy to understand- there are a couple of sheets in the bar menu that lists what is included and the prices of the other ones.

There will be wine/beer/soda in your cabin, but what is included and what is extra depends on your cabin level (I think?)

Having wine delivered with a meal to your cabin depends on the liquor package you have (not included with the basic package)

DH was not satisfied with the basic/included selection and I didn't understand that one person in the cabin could upgrade drink package without the other in the cabin upgrading (probably my fault in reviewing the paper in the cabin)

So each night after dinner DH wanted a nice after dinner drink (choice not part of included) so he would order one to bring back to the cabin that he would sign for.  After a couple nights I noticed the bill had a line for tip and DH was generous. From reading the literature, the tip is included in the price of the drinks purchased. 

We enjoyed our first Azamara cruise and have one booked for next spring.  But I do find the various rules for what's included and what is extra and where you can get something delivered etc more than I want to worry about. (paying for a drink will not cause us to miss a meal when we get home) So for our next cruise we will be in a Club Continent (CC) and purchase the first level (or second level) drink package.  (of course recently I have read posts about CC no longer having some of the access that was part of the description of the cabin extras)

The end of my whining 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

As I have said before, I find the "included" and extra priced differences etc difficult to understand.

What you get at a bar (don't know about the new Onward bar) is easy to understand- there are a couple of sheets in the bar menu that lists what is included and the prices of the other ones.

There will be wine/beer/soda in your cabin, but what is included and what is extra depends on your cabin level (I think?)

Having wine delivered with a meal to your cabin depends on the liquor package you have (not included with the basic package)

DH was not satisfied with the basic/included selection and I didn't understand that one person in the cabin could upgrade drink package without the other in the cabin upgrading (probably my fault in reviewing the paper in the cabin)

So each night after dinner DH wanted a nice after dinner drink (choice not part of included) so he would order one to bring back to the cabin that he would sign for.  After a couple nights I noticed the bill had a line for tip and DH was generous. From reading the literature, the tip is included in the price of the drinks purchased. 

We enjoyed our first Azamara cruise and have one booked for next spring.  But I do find the various rules for what's included and what is extra and where you can get something delivered etc more than I want to worry about. (paying for a drink will not cause us to miss a meal when we get home) So for our next cruise we will be in a Club Continent (CC) and purchase the first level (or second level) drink package.  (of course recently I have read posts about CC no longer having some of the access that was part of the description of the cabin extras)

The end of my whining 

I'm going on my first Azamara cruise next January and if like me, your tipple (or your partners) is wine, you might consider bringing some onboard. I'm told there is no corkage if you drink this in your cabin (and only $10 if you take it in the restaurant). Like you, I booked a CC suite so it should make for a pleasant environment for a post or pre dinner tipple. Actually that might even apply if your tipple is a spirits brand. For me, the wines on the ultimate package don't look like they beat in quality what I can use the money for, to buy my own. Certainly not unless I was drinking multiple bottles! It helps I'm cruising in an area known for decent quality, well priced wines. I don't think these (or any) suites offer any form of 'drinks rights', if there is wine in the room it is chargeable, other than I believe they have a bottle of spirits or two given free in the room- which I hope to barter for wine!

1 hour ago, asnaleah said:

I am having trouble figuring out which drink package comes with our suite. Any clues where to look? Thanks!

The only drink related thing that comes with a suite is the spirits in your cabin, everything else is the same as any other stateroom.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, asnaleah said:

I am having trouble figuring out which drink package comes with our suite. Any clues where to look? Thanks!

Just the included wines and spirits; a suite doesn’t automatically give you an upgraded drink package. 

• Thanks 2

On 6/30/2022 at 6:49 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

So I am a wine aficionado, on a self-imposed budget – because I have found that the range of $10-20 retail in NY offers me reliable, drinkable wines in every category.  When I succumb to '90+' envy and splurge, I am most often disappointed.  If Azamara would stock [horrors!] Apothic* wines for the basic pours, I would be happy.

*  For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Apothic offers 6 blended wines with the highly coveted 'Anywhere' AOC with wide distribution through the US at around $10 a bottle.  

I finally discovered what the various blends contain:

•  The Red blend is made with Zinfandel, Merlot, Syrah, and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. It has notes of black cherry, vanilla, and mocha;

•  The White blend is made with Chardonnay, Riesling, and Moscato grapes. It has notes of peach, honey, pineapple, and vanilla spice.

•  Brew is made with Petite Syrah, Teroldego, Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, and other grape varieties and infused with cold-brewed coffee. It has notes of coffee, red fruit, and toasted oak and less caffeine than a standard cup of decaf.

•  Crush is made with Zinfandel, Petite Syrah, Pinot Noir, Teroldego, Petit Verdot, and other grape varieties. It has notes of ripe berries, cherry, rhubarb, caramel, and milk chocolate.

•  Dark is made with Petite Syrah, Teroldego, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot, and Tannat.

•  Inferno is red wine that has been aged in charred, white-oak whiskey barrels for 60 days. It has a variety of notes and strong whiskey characteristics including maple, spice, red fruits, caramel, cedar, and black tea.

My favorite is Dark, and I do draw the line at the adulterated Inferno and Brew blends.

So, you've done the research on Apothic wines, Host Jazzbeau.  I thank you for your service. = (

I've only seen Apothic Red; tried it once, won't repeat.  As noted by lisiamc, these blends sound horrific, especially the concoction sold as "Brew."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mj_holiday said:

The end of my whining 

It’s actually pretty simple. You can ask for a drink at any bar made with the included spirits E.g. Gin & tonic etc. In theory you should be able to get most cocktails made with the included spirits (but not a Brandy Alexander as there is no Brandy in the list of included spirits). As far as I’m aware the only extra alcohol you get in a suite is the bottle/ or 4 small bottles you get (mostly it’s 4 half bottles but there is a trial of giving only 1 x 1 litre bottle.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ithikan said:

So, you've done the research on Apothic wines, Host Jazzbeau.  I thank you for your service. = (

I've only seen Apothic Red; tried it once, won't repeat.  As noted by lisiamc, these blends sound horrific, especially the concoction sold as "Brew."

Actually this is a ‘thing’ now, aging wines and ales in barrels that had previously been used for something else. Shouldn’t be a surprise, they have been doing this forever in Europe with Calvados etc. 

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

It’s actually pretty simple. You can ask for a drink at any bar made with the included spirits E.g. Gin & tonic etc. In theory you should be able to get most cocktails made with the included spirits (but not a Brandy Alexander as there is no Brandy in the list of included spirits). As far as I’m aware the only extra alcohol you get in a suite is the bottle/ or 4 small bottles you get (mostly it’s 4 half bottles but there is a trial of giving only 1 x 1 litre bottle.

There was a report last month that someone could not get drinks made unless they were on the cocktails list.  So you used to me able to have a form of Cosmo or Lemon Drop made with the included drinks but last month someone said on Onward and I think Pursuit this was no longer allowed.  I will test it on Quest soon 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Actually this is a ‘thing’ now, aging wines and ales in barrels that had previously been used for something else. Shouldn’t be a surprise, they have been doing this forever in Europe with Calvados etc. 

I’ve had coffee beans aged in a whisky barrel, and loved them. Wine aged in a whisky barrel is just a step too far for me!

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Does Azamara charge a corkage fee if you have a drinks package?  (I believe Celebrity doesn’t). 

There is no corkage fee for wines purchased onboard either by the bottle or in a package.

The corkage fee only applies to bottles of wine you have brought onto the ship yourself if you take them into the dining room.  And only on the first occasion if the bottle isn’t finished.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Port Power said:

There is no corkage fee for wines purchased onboard either by the bottle or in a package.

The corkage fee only applies to bottles of wine you have brought onto the ship yourself if you take them into the dining room.  And only on the first occasion if the bottle isn’t finished.

Sorry - should have been clearer.  I meant for bottles brought onboard. 

Thanks for your reply. 

10 hours ago, federalexpress said:

I'm going on my first Azamara cruise next January and if like me, your tipple (or your partners) is wine, you might consider bringing some onboard. I'm told there is no corkage if you drink this in your cabin (and only $10 if you take it in the restaurant). Like you, I booked a CC suite so it should make for a pleasant environment for a post or pre dinner tipple. Actually that might even apply if your tipple is a spirits brand. For me, the wines on the ultimate package don't look like they beat in quality what I can use the money for, to buy my own. Certainly not unless I was drinking multiple bottles! It helps I'm cruising in an area known for decent quality, well priced wines. I don't think these (or any) suites offer any form of 'drinks rights', if there is wine in the room it is chargeable, other than I believe they have a bottle of spirits or two given free in the room- which I hope to barter for wine!

Our first cruise is Dec. 23, 2022.  We are usually happy with $15 wines.  We will bring a few bottles just in case.

On 6/30/2022 at 6:49 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

So I am a wine aficionado, on a self-imposed budget – because I have found that the range of $10-20 retail in NY offers me reliable, drinkable wines in every category.  When I succumb to '90+' envy and splurge, I am most often disappointed.  If Azamara would stock [horrors!] Apothic* wines for the basic pours, I would be happy.

*  For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Apothic offers 6 blended wines with the highly coveted 'Anywhere' AOC with wide distribution through the US at around $10 a bottle.  

I finally discovered what the various blends contain:

•  The Red blend is made with Zinfandel, Merlot, Syrah, and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. It has notes of black cherry, vanilla, and mocha;

•  The White blend is made with Chardonnay, Riesling, and Moscato grapes. It has notes of peach, honey, pineapple, and vanilla spice.

•  Brew is made with Petite Syrah, Teroldego, Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, and other grape varieties and infused with cold-brewed coffee. It has notes of coffee, red fruit, and toasted oak and less caffeine than a standard cup of decaf.

•  Crush is made with Zinfandel, Petite Syrah, Pinot Noir, Teroldego, Petit Verdot, and other grape varieties. It has notes of ripe berries, cherry, rhubarb, caramel, and milk chocolate.

•  Dark is made with Petite Syrah, Teroldego, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot, and Tannat.

•  Inferno is red wine that has been aged in charred, white-oak whiskey barrels for 60 days. It has a variety of notes and strong whiskey characteristics including maple, spice, red fruits, caramel, cedar, and black tea.

My favorite is Dark, and I do draw the line at the adulterated Inferno and Brew blends.

Are you aware that Apothic is owned by E.J. Gallo?  It is likely that the grapes used by Gallo in Apothic is sourced from Lodi since Gallo has a winery up there so it can't be too bad, maybe a tad sweet for some wine drinkers.  Since you have Trader Joe's in New York, try Nero Grande Appassimento (poor man's amarone) or Ruggero di Bardo Susumaniello (bottled in an old fashion whiskey bottle, I believe).

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

Are you aware that Apothic is owned by E.J. Gallo?  It is likely that the grapes used by Gallo in Apothic is sourced from Lodi since Gallo has a winery up there so it can't be too bad, maybe a tad sweet for some wine drinkers.  Since you have Trader Joe's in New York, try Nero Grande Appassimento (poor man's amarone) or Ruggero di Bardo Susumaniello (bottled in an old fashion whiskey bottle, I believe).

I agree. We have Apothic line in the stores. The sugar content in Apothic Red is 16 g/l, Apothic Cab 11 g/l, Crush 9 g/l, Dark 7 g/l, Merlot 14 g/l, Rosé 10 g/l. Whereas Dark and Crush may still be considered as dry wines, the others are more like semi-sweet. 

2 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

Grocery stores in NY can’t sell wine. No 2 buck chuck for us. 

I can't speak to wines since I don't usually drink it due to glucose.  However when it comes to spirits I prefer smoother liquor.

When I sailed in a P1 last December on Quest, I had four 375ml bottles of what I consider close to bottom shelf but others thought they were good brands.  Stoli, Bacardi, Beefeater and JW red  I consider them bottom because I drink on the rocks and those need to be mixed with something.  I upgraded to get the brands I enjoy.

I found supply chain better shelf liquor issues on AZ, Celebrity in Feb and Regent in May as did others regularly.  So it's not just AZ's fault.  On two of the cruises, since we were in suites, they reserved my preferred brand to follow depending upon where we were dining that night.  That surprised me.

The bottom line is I felt all of them were trying to be as accommodating as possible but were restricted by provisioning.

Beamafar if your husband enjoys JW Blue, the best place I've found pricing for that is St. Maarten. This past December I bought eight 200ml bottles for $120 per four at my regular liquor stop there. It was on special.  The 750ml bottle was more expensive than the four.  But then you have to book a Caribbean cruise lol  I consider a cruise including St. Maartin to be my liquor run. Since I drive to the port, I can bring back six liters per person without duty tax.

My local Wines and More has the 750ml for $230 and the 200ml for $68 each.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

If they called it 'Meritage' and charged $30 a bottle, no one would be looking down their noses at it.  [JMHO, which when it comes to my wine drinking is the only one that counts!]