50 Essential Items????

DAF7065

Interesting list.  For HAL ships (especially their older vessels) I do see the wisdom in having a small fan for the cabin.  Over the decades we have cruised on nearly 70 different vessels and it has only been on a couple of HAL vessels where we have had major problems with our cabin A/C that were not rectified despite complaints.  

As to some kind of non surge protector power cord we do not go on any cruise or trip without are compact Ntonpower Charging Station 

Ntonpower Travel Power Strip Portable 3 USB Charging Station – NTONPOWER Direct

We learned of this product from another CC poster and it is terrific.  Very heavy duty, the round shape is good for packing, and it handles three US style plugs as well as 3 USB charging ports.  The only down side is that we chose the model with a very short cord (this takes up much less space) but there are times when a short extension cord does come in handy. 

Hank

I wouldn't bother with any of the storage gimmicks, but some might be useful if three or four people are sharing a cabin. Travelers on very long cruises, such as world cruises, might also be concerned about storage, but where a change of seasons is involved, the out-of-season clothing can be kept in a suitcase under the bed until it's needed.

Only two of us oldsters.  We go with carry on only.   We would not even consider most of the items mentioned.

We have managed to get through 20 plus cruises and 45 years of international travel without most of them so far! 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

If you need to be told what is essential, it probably isn't so

Excellent answer. 

No one ever talks about real essentials -- like underwear and toothbrushes.  They don't warrant discussion.  I do like considering what other people bring to make the cruise more pleasant /comfortable -- but the majority of those things aren't essential at all. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

I’m a huge fan of magnetic hooks. But I also have hooks all over my house, because my ADD can’t sit still long enough to open a closet, grab a hanger, fumbled with getting it to hang on the hanger right, and then reversing everything.  And without my own hooks for things, I’ll hang so much on the pair of hooks it’s like Jenga. 

I’ve heard the over the door things are more useful with you have 4 in a cabin. Not 2. 

And I do have a lanyard. Because womens clothes don’t have enough pockets and ain’t no one want to carry a purse on a cruise. 😂

• Like 1

You all do realise that she's a successful marketer who makes money on every item bought from  Amazon when people click through from her articles or youtube videos. I like her videos some of her stuff is useful - but just be clear that she's  promoting products to get paid! 

• Like 1

I didn't read the whole list, but after the disaster of either Princess losing, or someone taking, either accidentally or on purpose, my husbands suitcase, I bought some large neon green straps to put around our luggage--cheap at Walmart and at least makes it much more difficult for someone to take a bag by accident.

We don't bring much of the other things, mostly a medical kit in case--which we have used on occasion and of course international plugs, if needed.

14 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I didn't read the whole list, but after the disaster of either Princess losing, or someone taking, either accidentally or on purpose, my husbands suitcase, I bought some large neon green straps to put around our luggage--cheap at Walmart and at least makes it much more difficult for someone to take a bag by accident.

Along those same lines, I don't own any black suitcases.  Why?  Because everyone else's suitcases are black.  I have one rust-colored, one purple and one olive green. 

On our very first cruise, before we became devotees of self-disembarkation, I was impressed by a large family who was gathering its luggage with ease: every one of their suitcases bore a large sunshine -- just something simple made with yellow and orange construction paper /laminated.  Even the kids could identify everyone else's luggage.  I do admire efficiency.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Along those same lines, I don't own any black suitcases.  Why?  Because everyone else's suitcases are black.  I have one rust-colored, one purple and one olive green. 

On our very first cruise, before we became devotees of self-disembarkation, I was impressed by a large family who was gathering its luggage with ease: every one of their suitcases bore a large sunshine -- just something simple made with yellow and orange construction paper /laminated.  Even the kids could identify everyone else's luggage.  I do admire efficiency.  

I have a black suitcase of a popular brand and size, and at least three times, I’ve stopped someone from walking off with it because they thought it was theirs. So I painted fluorescent yellow hearts all over it, and I can easily spot it at quite a distance. It’s pretty gaudy, so I don’t think anyone is going to take it on purpose, either!

• Like 2

At one time I had a cheap floral suitcase.  Couldn't image anyone would have one like it.  But, I once watched a woman pick it up off the carousel and walk off with it.  She wanted to argue with me when I stopped her until I showed her my luggage tag.  And then we found her bag which was identical.

Lesson learned.  No matter the case I now use the brightest luggage strap and tags I can find.  I like the idea of the painted designs.  I might try that.

I have Grey, Black, Brown, Big, Medium and Small Suitcases.   When we lived in China  would load up on our breaks.   Back in those days you could bring in all kinds if "essentials" and we really loaded up.   I am happy I am not involved in that mess now.

That said I just add a bright tag to my  luggage handle and I "kind of know" what our suitcase is.   All that said I think I get a good back pack instead of using a brief case, for my computer and shore activities. .   This, 2023, is my last work year so unfortunately I have to stay connected so need that blasted computer..  My wife, Yolanda, will not like this but it is what it is.

2024 will be a different story.

Dave

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DAF7065 said:

That said I just add a bright tag to my  luggage handle and I "kind of know" what our suitcase is.   ...

23 minutes ago, DAF7065 said:

That may help you -- but do you really think that "bright tag" is sufficient to convince your hastening fellow traveller that your bag cannot be his?  The point of the exercise is certainly as much to keep someone else's unthinking hands off your bag as to help you get yours on it.

Edited by navybankerteacher

I have a  bright orange case, very useful for quick identification.  On a side note on a land tour in India our luggage was picked up from outside our hotel rooms and loaded into a luggage trailer.  We were asked before we boarded the vehicle to check our bag was there.  A quick glance and I knew my bag was there.

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am a business traveler with nearly 4 million Delta Miles and many other flying miles in other countries.  Have not got messed up yet.   Not saying it will not happen but so far so good.

22 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

This is a great way to differntiate your bags.  When my husband's bag was lost, we did both have colorful bows tied on the handle.  Also, our bags were a medium gray with a slight pattern, so somewhat different from others.  I still have the gray bag, his is now purple!

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2022 at 12:28 PM, iancal said:

Only two of us oldsters.  We go with carry on only.   We would not even consider most of the items mentioned.

We have managed to get through 20 plus cruises and 45 years of international travel without most of them so far! 

I am planning on carryon only for South Carrib cruise, so what do you pack?

1 hour ago, jubejubes said:

I am planning on carryon only for South Carrib cruise, so what do you pack?

I wear long cotton slacks on the plane, casual shoes ,ss collared shirt, and a light cotton sweater.

I pack 2 pr. shorts, 3 or 4 underwear, 3 or 4 s/s collared  shirts, 2 pr socks, waterproof nylon shell, hat, elec. razor, bathing suit, deod, 100ml sunscreen, ipad/charger, very light fold up nylon beach/pool bag, lightest Teva sandals they make,  and a book.  Slacks and shorts are all navy in color.  Good watch is replaced with an inexpensive plastic waterproof job.

When we go to Thailand for eight weeks I pack about the same.  We leave in the winter so we take a cab to the airport in order not to drag winter jackets,etc along.  And I will pack the same for 6 or 7 weeks in Greece, Italy, cruise etc if we go in Sept/Oct.  Been doing this for 11 years pre covid  since early retirement.

That is usually just over 7KG or so.   Typically DW will put a few things in my bag and that will bring it up to 8 or 8.5Kg.

But...a cruise is always part of a longer trip for us.  We might do 10-14 days on a cruise combined with a total of 5 weeks pre/post land travel.   IF we were only taking a cruise we would pack more and probably check one bag.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'll be honest.
It's been years since we cruised, and there used to be several people who had online packing lists.  
As strange as it sounds I purposely looked on the board for a list just like this!  Will I buy all that stuff? NO WAY!
But the list is a convenient way to think about what I and my family might need.  
 Years ago, there were people who insisted that they could not cruise without a colored highlighter to mark up their daily programs.  I never understood why, since a pen worked fine for me. 
There is a lot of good feedback on this list here, but don't be afraid to check to see if there is something that would make your cruise a better experience for you and your family. And only you can determine what that would be.
Another place to check would be dollar stores! It makes no sense to pay top dollar on stuff you may or may not use.  There are some videos from people who had ideas on what to get in those stores.  

Edited by mconthehighseas