50 Essential Items????

DAF7065

I saw this 50 essential items.   Sound interesting but if I packed all this I think no room for my underwear!!!

https://lifewellcruised.com/items-to-bring-on-cruise/

I am not going to hit everything but just some highlights.  I am on a HAL cruise May 2023 so thank you for any thoughts.  

This sounds interesting but do you think I need?

non-surge protected one that is “cruise approved”.

I tend to think this is overkill

Recommended: This OVER THE DOOR ORGANIZER is a favorite due to it’s mesh pockets rather than plastic

I have seen others suggest this seems to make sense

6 pack Magnetic Hooks (tyhese are “heavy duty”

Do you think this is needed or most ships provide?

Recommended: Cruise Lanyard and Cruise Card Holder (waterproof)

I have seen a few sites recommend this.   Is this real or just a come on?

Portable Travel Mini Fanir?t=lifewellcru05-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01DZYir?t=lifewellcru05-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01DZY

I have my own binoculars.  Should I take?   I am thinking yes

Recommended: Travel Folding Binocularsir?t=lifewellcru05-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B06XT7 

In general if I took all 50 recommendations I think way to loaded up, but I think some interesting options.  

Let me know your opinions on what is good and what I can forget.

Thanks

Dave

Of the ones you listed, not one is "essential" to us. In fact we have never carried any of them, and can't think of any time we felt they were needed.

Many of these things are discussed here frequently. Whether they are "essential" is really a matter of personal preference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAF7065 said:

I saw this 50 essential items.   Sound interesting but if I packed all this I think no room for my underwear!!!

I am not going to hit everything but just some highlights.  I am on a HAL cruise May 2023 so thank you for any thoughts.  

Recommended: This OVER THE DOOR ORGANIZER is a favorite due to it’s mesh pockets rather than plastic

Portable Travel Mini Fanir?t=lifewellcru05-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01DZYir?t=lifewellcru05-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01DZY

In general if I took all 50 recommendations I think way to loaded up, but I think some interesting options.  

Thanks

Dave

Of course, different  people see different uses for different things -- but I really do not see the point of magnetic hooks - do you really carry so many things that need to be hung on hooks which cannot be accommodated by the hooks (or other storage spaces) already provided?  Also, most folding binoculars, while easily portable, really are of little use - I can see bringing some 7x50 binoculars (which I do), if you have space, but those little opera-glass things do little other than narrow your field of view - with insufficient magnification to offset it.

OP you do realize that this is basically a shopping list for Amazon, who is a sponsor of that blog? The author gets a commission. So take that for what its worth.

While some people may find some of the things listed to be useful,  I doubt anyone would say they are essential for a successful cruise. I use some of them, but have no use for the majority.

• Like 2

This article is overkill.  To answer your Qs: 

- I see no need for a power cord of any type, but we aren't the carry-your-phone around types.  

- Over-the-door organizer is overkill.  You can probably see a You Tube video of your future cabin ... you'll be able to see the storage.  For such a small space, staterooms have a decent amount of storage.

- I do like a couple magnetic hooks, but I wouldn't call them essential.

- I do not like wearing a lanyard at work -- why would I voluntarily do it on vacation? 

- We sleep with a small fan ... our battery-powered fan works 4 nights on one set of batteries. 

- Binoculars aren't interesting to me.  

The article items I think ARE USEFUL: 

- Luggage with spinner wheels ... four spinners are better than two leaners.

- Refillable water bottle OR thermal mug ... but why would you need both? 

- Alarm clock ... you won't have one in your room.  

- Carry on bag ... but I prefer a backpack because you'll be walking some long distances, and hands-free is a positive.  I choose a single bag that's good for boarding AND island stops.  

- Water shoes 

- Snorkel and mask ... obviously, depending upon your island plans

- Sunscreen ... obviously.

- First aid kit ... and let's add a few over-the-counter medicines; you don't want to bring yourself to the attention of the medical staff without good cause ... yes to motion-sickness meds as a part of this.

- Tiny containers of hand sanitizer

Good grief that’s lot of stuff. I’d have no problem if it was “50 things you might enjoy having on a cruise.” But essential?? The problem is there are first time cruisers who see such lists and really think they everything. 

Of the 50, three are in my basic pack kit:

- packing cubes

- water shoes

- Bonine, though get the generic stuff from Amazon for a fraction of the price. The generic name is Mescaline (or something like that.)

Some of the other stuff is ok, but a bit was just off. For example, the vast majority of people these days need a usb hub, not an extension cord. 

43 minutes ago, wcook said:

Bonine, though get the generic stuff from Amazon for a fraction of the price. The generic name is Mescaline (or something like that.)

Good God NO!!!! Mescaline is a hallucinogenic drug similar to LSD. Bonine's generic name is Meclizine.  Of course it's highly unlikely your pharmacist would provide you with OTC Mescaline  😂🤣🤪

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, mom says said:

Good God NO!!!! Mescaline is a hallucinogenic drug similar to LSD. Bonine's generic name is Meclizine.  Of course it's highly unlikely your pharmacist would provide you with OTC Mescaline  😂🤣🤪

Don Juan says peyote is good for motion sickness too!    😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

From that list, we do have a few magnetic hooks (good for hanging a hat or pyjamas out of the way) and several magnetic clips (good for hanging excursion tickets and invitations where they can easily be found) and a highlighter for marking the daily information sheet so we don’t forget the things we want to do.

Not on that list but still useful: I throw a couple of clothes pegs into my bag. They’re lightweight, and useful for closing that gap in the curtains that allows sunlight to beam you in the eye at 6 am.

I bring plug adapters so that we can make use of all the outlets. We have UK plugs on our electronics so adapters are usually necessary anyway. I have a universal adapter, but I prefer my set of two specific adapters, US/UK and EU/UK. The universal ones tend to be heavy, and US outlets especially can have a very loose fit. Too often I have prop up the universal adapter or wedge it in with a chair leg to stop it falling out of the wall.

9 hours ago, DAF7065 said:

Thanks

Dave

Never seen any of those as essential, others see it differently of course.

6 hours ago, wcook said:

Good grief that’s lot of stuff. I’d have no problem if it was “50 things you might enjoy having on a cruise.” But essential?? The problem is there are first time cruisers who see such lists and really think they everything. 

Of the 50, three are in my basic pack kit:

- packing cubes

- water shoes

- Bonine, though get the generic stuff from Amazon for a fraction of the price. The generic name is Mescaline (or something like that.)

Some of the other stuff is ok, but a bit was just off. For example, the vast majority of people these days need a usb hub, not an extension cord. 

Nor those.

We take several of the items mentioned.  For Caribbean ports we have our own snorkels since we like well fitted masks, wear water shoes that are comfortable enough to also walk around, plenty of sunscreen, and a water wallet to carry important items in the water with us. 

For the ship we bring a small travel clock, my water bottle to refill, travel coffee cups, over the door organizer (I hate trying to remember where things are stashed in drawers), a lanyard I made from a woven band because I don't always have pockets, an extensive med kit because as mentioned before you don't want to go to medical if at all possible, binoculars (not folding), a spare pair of my glasses and cleaning clothes. 

We have had spinner luggage for years.  I manage to get everything into a carry on and my large case.  Personally, I don't see any need for all the clips or sanitizing things.  Still have a bottle of hand sanitizer from when it all began that I never used.  

There are usually two US outlets in the room - plenty for me.  I have a multi-port USB charger to charge my devices that use USB charging and then my camera battery charger.  Yes - a REAL camera is an "essential" for me, I try not to rely on my phone camera.

A travel fan?  I usually sleep with a fan on at home, never needed one on a cruise.

My card goes in my pocket, no need for a lanyard.

One item I would consider an essential is a set of luggage tag holders. They're inexpensive and they assure that your luggage tag isn't ripped off your bag.  That happened on my first cruise.  I have two - one for my checked bag and one for my carry-on (in case I misplace it before I get to the cabin).

We have very little that is cruise specific.

The only item I can think of is a battery operated motion sensor light - useful to put in the bathroom when the light switch is outside. [not just on ships but also in some New England hotels]

11 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

This article is overkill.  To answer your Qs: 

- I see no need for a power cord of any type, but we aren't the carry-your-phone around types.  

As a CPAP user I need my powercord (extension cord). It is essential for me. Yes, some say just ask for a cord on board but I have been in the situation where I was told the ship did not have anymore to give out so...Not taking that chance again.

Other than that, I do not find anything listed as 'essential', but some items are helpful and may be more important to others.

11 hours ago, wcook said:

Another excellent motion-sickness choice:  Crystalized ginger.  You can find it in the produce section of the grocery store -- I can always find it at Harris Teeter packaged under the brand name Sweet Melissa.  The package contains a couple large pieces, but I chop it up into 1/2 inch bits and store it in a small Tupperware. 

It isn't as long-lasting as a pill, but the relief is instant.  If you're really troubled by motion sickness, Crystalized ginger AND pills of some sort of pill make a good combination -- one for instant relief, one for long-lasting relief, and no concerns about drug combinations.  

Another good product is the Emesis Bag, which I didn't know about until my daughter became a nurse.  These plastic bags, which she calls "Punch and Pukes" are a plastic rim connected to a deep plastic bag.  You can throw up in one, twist the top to contain the problem, then throw it away.  I'm bad for motion sickness in the car, so I keep a few in a ziplock in my glove compartment -- one of those things that you really appreciate in your time of need.  

They're inexpensive -- about $15 for 50:  

https://www.amazon.com/milliliter-Disposable-Emesis-Morning-Sickness/dp/B004PS7OVG/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=3UBOWWH55DDP8&keywords=throw+up+bags&qid=1656599731&sprefix=throw%20up%20bags%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzU1NLM1FISFhUOFQ0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDQzODY3VEs4UU1OQ1ExN1JOJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNjU4MTAxM1dOQkg2WjRTUUo0JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== 

1 hour ago, Pyrate13 said:

As a CPAP user I need my powercord (extension cord). It is essential for me.

I'd categorize that as a special, individual need -- not something I'd put on a general list for everyone.  

Similarly, we carry blood glucose meters and Quest bars (for island days) in case of blood sugar drops.  But I wouldn't say everyone should start doing this.

Edited by Mum2Mercury

I have a power "cube".  Mine is shaped like a donut.  With 3 of us in a room it was maybe not essential but very, very helpful.  

I also have a luggage scale which is kind of essential if you tend to overpack.  And those little plastic luggage that perfectly fit the cruise luggage tags you get from their website. I love those.  

I always have a small first-aid kit in my travel bag.  And I have a lanyard or two.  I like having that key card or medallion where I can't lose it.

As for the packing and organization stuff I have a few things that I use.  The over the door thing would work if you have kids but otherwise I think it's a bit much.  

The thing is anything I have can be used on any trip, not just cruise.  But it has to be small and lightweight.  I certainly don't want to carry extra weight just to have a bunch of extraneous stuff.

I love lists like this, though.  No one says you have to take all of it.  Read through it and choose what works for you and ignore the rest.

12 hours ago, mom says said:

Good God NO!!!! Mescaline is a hallucinogenic drug similar to LSD. Bonine's generic name is Meclizine. 

This might explain why I wasn’t visited by my spirit animal when I went on that spiritual camping retreat. Oh well, at least I didn’t get carsick on the bus ride out. 

Edited by wcook
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'd categorize that as a special, individual need -- not something I'd put on a general list for everyone.  

Similarly, we carry blood glucose meters and Quest bars (for island days) in case of blood sugar drops.  But I wouldn't say everyone should start doing this.

I never said it was essential for everyone, nor am I suggesting such. Just responding to your statement of not seeing the need for a powercord.

I didn't read the article, because I've never related to similar articles in the past.  50 items beyond the basics??

If I had to list 50 things, could I count each pair of socks as two things?  I must have my documents, clothing, cash and credit card, a few basic meds such as aspirin.  Toothbrush and toothpaste, hairbrush.  Cell phone for calling for our local ride home.  No smartphone.  The ship will be my home away from home, but I don't want it to be like my house.

All this confirms my first thoughts when I read this.   Too much stuff and really 90% plus is not needed.   The 10% is "if you want or like" not essential. 

I guess my problem with all this is I am just starting out so I am reading all kinds of blogs, reading advice columns from the "so called experts" and looking at videos.   With that I am trying  to plan for our cruise for  next May.   I think this site with "real" people giving advice provides a sense or reality that reads thru the overkill from these so called "Cruise Advice Columns"

Though I do like  to read and watch Gary Bembridge

https://www.tipsfortravellers.com

Thanks,

Dave

The only essentials are some clothes (normally about 1/2 what you think), tickets and passport or ID, and medications.

for me next comes camera, pen or highlighters,

And of course Mrs Gut.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

If you need to be told what is essential, it probably isn't so

There have been times when I’ve been told about something I wouldn’t have thought of. Some years ago, when smoking was still allowed in cabins, we took a Costa cruise. We had a bargain rate, and could not select our cabin by number, just by type. An experienced cruiser advised me to bring a roll of duct tape. Why? If we got a connecting cabin, the smoke would seep under and around that connecting door. Well, we did, and it did! We had what seemed like chain smokers on the other side of that door. So I taped over the gaps, all the way around it, and it made a huge difference. At the end of the cruise, I just pulled the tape off, and everything was pristine again. I was very grateful to the person who gave that advice!

• Like 2