Food bought at port

Mo.nj2va

More often the other way around is more problematic: To bring food from the ship into port due to the local health protocols just like in the States.

Anyway you normally find the information about each specific port's restrictions, if applicable, in the daily paper.

I just read a cruise lines prohibition against bringing fish on board.  I don't think they meant canned, smoked or otherwise packaged fish.  I think they meant like if you catch a fish on an excursion, best not bring it on board.  

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, ldubs said:

I just read a cruise lines prohibition against bringing fish on board.  I don't think they meant canned, smoked or otherwise packaged fish.  I think they meant like if you catch a fish on an excursion, best not bring it on board.  

I wonder if there is an exception if the fish is caught on a cruise line fishing excursion and is brought aboard to be prepared by the chefs and served to those who caught the fish.  (I remember that one of the cruise lines did offer this type of an excursion at one time.  I think it was Princess.)  

On 7/17/2022 at 3:06 PM, rkacruiser said:

I wonder if there is an exception if the fish is caught on a cruise line fishing excursion and is brought aboard to be prepared by the chefs and served to those who caught the fish.  (I remember that one of the cruise lines did offer this type of an excursion at one time.  I think it was Princess.)  

Because this is a cruise line sponsored excursion, the cruise line sets the requirements for handling the fish to ensure it meets food safety requirements, and that the excursion provider obtains the fish in an approved, sustainable manner, so it is allowed onboard.  But, if it is from an outside excursion provider, they will not allow it.  One of the main requirements is that the provider documents the temperature of the protein regularly, and ensures it is within the safe zone at all times from being caught to being delivered to the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 7/17/2022 at 12:06 PM, rkacruiser said:

21 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Because this is a cruise line sponsored excursion, the cruise line sets the requirements for handling the fish to ensure it meets food safety requirements, and that the excursion provider obtains the fish in an approved, sustainable manner, so it is allowed onboard.  But, if it is from an outside excursion provider, they will not allow it.  One of the main requirements is that the provider documents the temperature of the protein regularly, and ensures it is within the safe zone at all times from being caught to being delivered to the ship.

I had always heard of this but wondered if it was truth or legend.  That would be very cool to have the fresh fish you caught that day.  

• Like 1

The Alaskan Fudge Co. - Juneau Alaska, one of my favorite places.  I always buy a bunch and bring it back onboard with the intention of bringing it home.  It never lasts that long, LOL.  But, no one even bothers to check what's in the bag.  Same with other snacks and treats I've purchased in other locations.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 7:55 PM, cruiserking said:

You're not allowed to bring plants or fruits on board but, typically packaged items are fine. 

Jonathan

You can usually bring them on, but you can’t take them off.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

A co-worker of mine brought home plants from cruise ports many years ago with nary a problem.

Try that now without a phytosanitary  certificate. Many years ago they brought livestock and live poultry on board. Doesn't mean you can do it now (unless it's your emotional support chicken 🤪)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, mom says said:

Try that now without a phytosanitary  certificate. Many years ago they brought livestock and live poultry on board. Doesn't mean you can do it now (unless it's your emotional support chicken 🤪)

Every Christmas, the ship has to deal with phytosanitary certificates, and certificates of sterilized soil for all the Poinsettias used to decorate the ship.  All natural Christmas trees had to have a fire retardant certificate as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...