Luggage tags color or black n white which is faster

rdemn

My wife is convinced that printing the luggage tags in color will get the luggage to our room faster than if it was  printed in black and white. 
her logic is that the color represents the floor you are on or the section of the ship my logic is them guys do it all the time it doesn’t matter what color it is. What do you think?

You wife is quite correct -at least as far as the luggage sorting goes. Colored tags make the initial sort onto racks (to be delivered to the various decks/sections) much faster and easier for the crew. Once the racks have been delivered, cabin staff have to actually read the numbers, and colors really don't matter. One caveat is that mistakes are sometimes made, and a wrong-colored tag sticks out and is more quickly corrected.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Some cruise lines use a different color for each ship in their fleet, not by deck

I think that is very important particularly when there are two or more ships of the same cruise line in port.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I think that is very important particularly when there are two or more ships of the same cruise line in port.  

As is common in some ports, Ft Lauderdale on the weekends, for example. 

• Like 1

I would think that color, words, layout ... nothing makes any difference because it's all done with hand-held bar-code scanners.  Actually looking at and reading the tags would be immaterial.  Probably difficult to actually move all the luggage if one hand's holding a scanner.  Maybe it's a good thing to do some things the proven old-fashioned way, huh?

3 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I would think that color, words, layout ... nothing makes any difference because it's all done with hand-held bar-code scanners.  Actually looking at and reading the tags would be immaterial.  Probably difficult to actually move all the luggage if one hand's holding a scanner.  Maybe it's a good thing to do some things the proven old-fashioned way, huh?

Again, varies by cruise line, and if you get your bag tags from the porters.

On 7/5/2022 at 9:20 PM, wcook said:

I think the correct answer is “yes dear.” And try hard not to visibly roll your eyes. 

Pay attention, rdemn, this is the secret to a long, happy marriage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We had to print ours recently due to winning a move up bid.  We were out of colored inks and printed them with black & white.  We were in a PH suite and luggage was not delivered when it should have been. Our Butler and Suites Manager went looking for it and brought it to us.  I'm convinced it was because the tags were B&W. Or, maybe it was one of the 1st cruises out of Fll after the restart.

I just remembered what I did with a HAL cruise where I had to print my own bag tags.  I think that they were supposed to be green.  I printed b/w and outlined the edges of the tags with a green marker.  Probably pretty silly, but no problem getting the bags delivered.  I've never had a baggage issue on a cruise. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I just remembered what I did with a HAL cruise where I had to print my own bag tags.  I think that they were supposed to be green.  I printed b/w and outlined the edges of the tags with a green marker.  Probably pretty silly, but no problem getting the bags delivered.  I've never had a baggage issue on a cruise. 

Good idea.  I'm going to hi-lite mine with whatever color is used for suites -- Instant Upgrade!  😄

• Haha 1

My printer only does black and white, so I usually use colored paper. I don't think it makes any difference as all my neighbors' luggage gets delivered at the same time and I rarely see any color.

It makes me feel good, though. 

• Like 2