Question about Windjammer Buffet

Tray's are the only way to manage WJ if you have small kids or a special needs adult like we do. 

Room service is still on trays, and I've seen people keep them.  I've also seen people bring their own.

This will be going with us on our next cruise -- we got a few of these for our granddaughter's arts & crafts...

https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-CT121623-Café-Standard-Cafeteria/dp/B00BM8GX0A

At 12x16, It's small enough it fits in my carry-on, and also doubles as protection for my laptop... 

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Don't they still bring room service on trays?  If so, order that and keep the tray for use in the Windjammer.

They do. We always hide a tray in the closet in case we want to bring food back to the room and eat on the balcony.

• Like 2

I've sailed a few times after a foot injury and never had any issues finding someone to assist - just ask nicely, of course.  If you tend toward the same area of the WJ, you'll have staff looking for you when you arrive.  

• Like 2

Just ask for a tray in the Windjammer from one of the officers there as previously stated.  I saw a woman with a tray on the Odyssey taking food back to her room, they even provided her with that cover (don't know the exact term) to put over her plates.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlueBayouAZ said:

Wait? When did the get rid of the trays? I was on Adventure twice this spring. And we took trays every morning outside to eat on deck. 

edited to add: now you have me questioning if I used trays. I think I did….

Royal does not have trays out in the WJ but I know you can ask for one.  They use them to deliver room service.  Carnival used to have trays, but we've been cruising on RCI for 14 years and haven't seen trays out in the WJ.  I think the main reason they got rid of them is that it's just one more thing to collect and wash.   Plus, some people are gluttons and will put as much food as they can on the trays whether they were eating it or not.  Plates mean people have to go back if they want additional.  It's also a way for the cruise line to actually save on food costs as people aren't wasting as much so they don't have to make as much.  

That said, I have seen many crew members helping people carry, especially people using walkers or canes.  All you have to do is ask.  Or, as another said, get him a plate of food and then gets yours.  DH and I do that once we've found a seat if it's crowded.    I was injured almost 3 years ago and we went to a brunch buffet when I wasn't able to carry a plate easily.  I looked at the items and told DH what I wanted in general.  He then filled my plate and brought it to me before he got his food.  Fortunately, I can walk and carry things fine now but the OP will hardly be alone.

Edited by BND

I'm not so interested in the drink-holders.  Ideally we would use the Windjammer's glasses /not bring our own.  

You can ask for a tray in the Windjammer?  That's better than bringing our own.  

I'm going to check the Dollar Store.  I looked on Amazon last night and put a $5.15 tray into my cart, but a dollar is better.  

Again, THANKS All. 

• Like 1

The nice response from your fellow cruisers here on the forum is indicative of what I would expect from the crew in the ship. You probably haven’t noticed all the help available in the WJ as you didn’t need it in the past. Finding it should be easier than you expect - now that you will be looking for it. (This is different than other aspects of life, where you wonder where help is when you need it).  People offer me help as I am getting older (I’m only 61 - but I do have weakness that I guess they can see).

I would be tempted to get a lightweight tray to use - the room service (and old buffet) ones are rather heavy.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help.  It brings out the best in many people. 

They must have a supply of trays in the Windjammer. The workers use them to deliver drinks to your table and to clear your table when you are done eating. I'm sure if you ask someone for a tray, they will be glad to bring you one.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

My husband has been ill recently, and I'm a bit concerned about him in the buffet.  Sometimes he is fine, but when he's tired /at the end of the day, he isn't so able to walk while carrying things.  Said differently, sometimes walking alone is enough for him.  I was thinking I'd get a tray and load up two plates and our drinks ... but now I see in You Tube videos that they don't have trays any more.  I see that they have a lot of things pre-portioned (which I think I'd like), but that means several little plates.  

What I'm thinking -- and this is where I'm open to ideas: 

- Don't say "Always eat in the MDR".  We like to mix it up between the two. 

- I'm thinking of bringing a small tote bag (which I will bring for the pool anyway), and I'll drop silverware and things like milk or yogurt into that bag for ease of carrying.  Would people think I'm a thief or something?  

- I'm thinking of bringing two large Yeti cups /filling them halfway, then dropping them into the tote bag -- they won't spill if they're only half full.  

- Or would it be totally weird to order room service /keep the tray for the week.  I'd feel kinda odd carrying a tray into the buffet, but if it's the most functional idea, I'll do it. 

Thoughts?  Thanks for any ideas you can share. 

But your husband can sit?  So, you get his food, then you go get your food, and someone will bring drinks to the table.  Most times, when someone is struggling, someone will help you.  No need for a tray, or to carry drinks in a bag, or silverware.  Don't over think this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm not so interested in the drink-holders.  Ideally we would use the Windjammer's glasses /not bring our own.  

You can ask for a tray in the Windjammer?  That's better than bringing our own.  

I'm going to check the Dollar Store.  I looked on Amazon last night and put a $5.15 tray into my cart, but a dollar is better.  

Again, THANKS All. 

You could ask one of the officers, in black pants with white shirts to get you a tray in WJ or ask them for help. 

I have seen them help guests with walkers, canes, wheelchairs, etc gather food.

The trays they have will probably be sturdier and possibly larger than what you will find at dollar store.    

Getting a room service tray is a great idea!!   They are a nice size too!

Have fun cruising 😃

• Like 1

Also, don't they have trays for room service?  I'm positive they would not mind you giving you one for your use during the cruise.  I mean, I absconded the thermos for personal use from room service during the cruise, because carrying hot water from the WJ back to our room was a bit tricky, especially with how rough our cruise was.

We were on Mariner of the Seas last month.  I was using a 'rollator' since I just had knee surgery.  One of the Windjammer staff always hustled right over and carried my plate and silverware to a table then brought me my drink after parking my rollator out of the way.  I couldn't have been happier.

• Like 3

OK, I'm a very low vision individual at the point of being considered legally blind, and to date on all cruises I've done no matter the line, such a thing that is common standard is that the buffet host/hostess will always ask me if I need special assistance. Of course RCI's host/hostess did exactly the same. Sometimes I need it, sometimes not, depending on whether I'm alone or with my travel partners.

Before the pandemic they used to have some of those random servers devoted to special assistance on their buffets. Now things maybe more difficult due to short staff on ships. Please, tell special needs department you need that service and they'll to direct you accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do miss the trays- it was much easier - now I always have a tote bag with me to put in the silverware - one less thing to carry.

I would suggest you ask the hostess for assistance and a tray or any of the staff in the windjammer. I have found them willing to help - have asked for soy milk and they would go find me some -

Have a wonderful vacation!