When do you put your luggage tags on your suitcase

flifish64

Curious as to when everyone puts their cruise luggage tags on their bags.

When you are leaving home so it is on for your flight to the cruise departure city or not until you are headed to the ship.

Carol

6 minutes ago, flifish64 said:

When you are leaving home so it is on for your flight to the cruise departure city or not until you are headed to the ship.

Carol

At the hotel before getting in the taxi. 

• Like 4

Always put it on at the hotel just before leaving for the port.

If you have a Celebrity Shuttle to the ship from the airport you might wish to put it on in advance to save time and hassle of having to locate and  put it on at the airport terminal.   For the shuttle you usually claim you bag and then give it to a Celebrity Porter who put it on the bus.

• Like 2

Airline tags and cruise tags are completely different, no risk of confusion.

I always put mine on at home before going to the airport.

why? Based on advice from one of the “greeters” at the airport.  She said that if there is an unclaimed suitcase that has gone astray and is forlornly circling the baggage carousel with a Celebrity tag attached she always grabs it and sees that it makes it to the ship.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

Just before boarding the ship. No need to confuse the airlines.

If you want your luggage to make it to your departure city, I highly recommend not putting your ship luggage tags on before getting on the plane.  Airlines have their own tracking systems.  As the previous poster stated, no need to confuse the airlines which already have enough problems.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

If you want your luggage to make it to your departure city, I highly recommend not putting your ship luggage tags on before getting on the plane.  Airlines have their own tracking systems.  As the previous poster stated, no need to confuse the airlines which already have enough problems.

I agree. Unless I am flying in way ahead of time I put the cruise tag on when I leave home. That gives me the best chance of having it get to me on the ship if it is misdirected 

• Like 2

I put mine on at the pier.  I also tape a piece of paper with my cabin number to my bags AND alway have a sheet with contact info along with cruise details inside my bag before leaving home.  Have had bags show up on board delivered by the airline!

• Like 1

Back in the good ole days the cruise lines sent a whole booklet of documents and plastic sticky luggage tags to put on when you left home.  The airlines would help get your bags to the buses for the airport transfers.  There was no having to claim bags for security reasons.  Of course, this was when flights were reliable and flying to the departure port the morning of embarkation was the norm.  I also remember doing the document dance when that big packet with the cruise documents and luggage tags arrived in the mail.  Ahhhh....the good ole days......

• Like 3

On 7/8/2022 at 8:17 PM, flifish64 said:

Carol

We place them on our bags after we claim our bags before heading to the taxi to take us to the pier.  

• Like 1

One reason you might NOT want to put your tags on until after the airport is if you're unable to properly secure it.  Stapling printed paper isn't a super secure method, stapling and using clear packing tape on the printed tags is much more secure and somewhat water resistant.

Personally I stopped worrying about tags as it's a more VIP experience to let the porters handle them.  At the port if you don't have your tags, the porters will pull out a blank tag and write your room number on them.  I've always received my bags within an hour from boarding the ship.

3 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

What happens if you don't put it on before the plane but your luggage doesn't make it to the destination? Because then the airline has to get it to the ship but it would be missing a tag.

You notify the airlines as to your "address" and if you are lucky it shows up later that day at your hotel.  If not so lucky you might get it on the cruise at some point.

Putting a second tag on your bag is just as likely to confuse as help.  I do put ship name and cabin number on a piece of paper and using clear tape affix it to my bag.

Just now, Arizona Wildcat said:

You notify the airlines as to your "address" and if you are lucky it shows up later that day at your hotel.  If not so lucky you might get it on the cruise at some point.

Putting a second tag on your bag is just as likely to confuse as help.  I do put ship name and cabin number on a piece of paper and using clear tape affix it to my bag.

I'm at the point I'm packing a suitcase with the idea I'll probably not get it until I get back to Canada, which is saying a lot as after my cruise I'm going home to the UK for a week 🤣

5 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

What happens if you don't put it on before the plane but your luggage doesn't make it to the destination? Because then the airline has to get it to the ship but it would be missing a tag.

I put my cruise tags already in the little tag holders, inside my suitcase. That way, if they are lost, the airline could, in theory, take the extra step and see it gets to the cruise ship. Do I actually have confidence that the airline would do that?  Not really.  I've been travelling for almost dfdjafdf years and have never had a lost piece of luggage. 

23 minutes ago, Oklahoma Cruiser 2012 said:

I put my cruise tags already in the little tag holders, inside my suitcase. That way, if they are lost, the airline could, in theory, take the extra step and see it gets to the cruise ship. Do I actually have confidence that the airline would do that?  Not really.  I've been travelling for almost dfdjafdf years and have never had a lost piece of luggage. 

I've never had anything lost either, just everyone I know close to me traveling in the last couple of months got to their destination without checked luggage. I've bought air tags and putting my 'nice to have' clothes into the checked but making sure I have enough for a week's worth of clothing in the carry on as a worse case (and people will have to live with me not being so dressy for dinner but think it's possible if that happens I won't be the only person)

7 hours ago, PKB said:

Back in the good ole days the cruise lines sent a whole booklet of documents and plastic sticky luggage tags to put on when you left home.  The airlines would help get your bags to the buses for the airport transfers.  There was no having to claim bags for security reasons.  Of course, this was when flights were reliable and flying to the departure port the morning of embarkation was the norm.  I also remember doing the document dance when that big packet with the cruise documents and luggage tags arrived in the mail.  Ahhhh....the good ole days......

I miss the doc dance as well... Blame it on technology.  I have to say though, not having that booklet and just a piece of paper is nice.  Printing out everything can use up a lot of printer ink, though.

Celebrity will still send you tags if you request them...so far, no extra cost.