Stars at Sea...the real stars

I'm one of those people that wake up at 5 AM which means I'm in bed by 9 PM...same with my husband. It's a curse, especially when on a cruise ship! Given all the media attention on the Webb telescope, I suppose I am interested in seeing a dark night sky (I wish my eyes were good enough to see those Webb images). I could go out in my backyard to see the night sky since I live in a rural area, but...it seems more appropriate to do this on vacation.

In August I'll be floating on the NCL Getaway from NYC to Bermuda. Has anyone attempted to see the stars late at night or super early in the morning (like 3 AM'ish early)? Did you have any luck? Is the boat too bright to really see stars? I honestly don't think I was outside late enough on my April cruise to see a night sky. Any recommendations on decks or places would be super helpful! Or, if your plans were aborted, because...well, there's too much light, I'd love to know that too! 

Slightly the opposite of you - I'll go to bed on a cruise at 1-2AM and be up again at 5-6am. Haven't been on that specific ship but  I've seen pretty good views of the stars on others by: AS EXPECTED--going to the upper most deck facing away from the most deck lights (which are plenty). 

• Like 2

I've been able to see the stars well from our balcony as long as our neighbors don't have their balcony lights on. I would think that any place on the ship where you can get away from the lights would be okay as well (upper decks especially when passengers are asnooze).

• Like 1

My experience has been that I could see some stars from my balcony after midnight, especially if I shielded my eyes with my hands, (kind of like blinders on a horse).  Not anything unusual though, and certainly not able to see the Milky Way.  Kind of disappointing, similar from what I see from my home in SWFL.

I've never had the energy to go up on the aft deck to see if there was less light pollution and therefore better star gazing.  I do have fond memories of seeing the Milky Way during blackouts at home when I lived in NY, and especially on overnight stays in Roatan when nightly power failures were routine years ago.

Some lines advertise late night star viewing as an activity, but I haven't had that opportunity yet.

Edited by evandbob

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm one of those people that wake up at 5 AM which means I'm in bed by 9 PM...same with my husband. It's a curse, especially when on a cruise ship! Given all the media attention on the Webb telescope, I suppose I am interested in seeing a dark night sky (I wish my eyes were good enough to see those Webb images). I could go out in my backyard to see the night sky since I live in a rural area, but...it seems more appropriate to do this on vacation.

In August I'll be floating on the NCL Getaway from NYC to Bermuda. Has anyone attempted to see the stars late at night or super early in the morning (like 3 AM'ish early)? Did you have any luck? Is the boat too bright to really see stars? I honestly don't think I was outside late enough on my April cruise to see a night sky. Any recommendations on decks or places would be super helpful! Or, if your plans were aborted, because...well, there's too much light, I'd love to know that too! 

Even with the light pollution from cruise ships, you will see plenty stars on a clear night, but if you live in a rural area, you may have better views at home.

Scope out the upper decks at night to find a spot with the least light.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Some lines advertise late night star viewing as an activity, but I haven't had that opportunity yet.

I've done this on Princess (self-confessed night owl). There are times when they advertise in the daily that they will be on an upper deck and they will turn off even more lighting than usual and have someone on hand to point out basic constellations. It's usually only an hour and maybe 1-2 times on a week long cruise is the most I've seen. 

I was a bit surprised at just how much lighting ships have outside at night. It's not exactly pitch dark by any means. I suppose there needs to be enough lighting for visibility for passengers who may be out and about and also to ensure visibility to other ships...

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I suppose there needs to be enough lighting for visibility for passengers who may be out and about and also to ensure visibility to other ships...

I think you are correct regarding supplying sufficient lighting for guests to move around safely at night.  But, to ensure visibility to other ships?  No.  That's why ships have running lights.  

It used to be easy to find a really dark area on the upper decks of a ship that is accessible to guests.  One of the best spots that I ever found was on Rotterdam V.  Mid-ships, there was an observation area at the very top of the ship that could only be accessed by a steep ladder from the deck below, near the Sky Bar.  Few guests ever found it, but, those of us that did had spectacular views of a clear night sky.  One could commune with nature and God.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

I remember being able to do so, successfully, years ago, but not so much now.  I'm not sure why. Less access to the dark forward deck (below the Bridge)?  More light from balconies (no such thing in our early cruising days)?  Being older now means we are less likely to be out and about at late/early hours?

I might have to make an effort to try again during our September cruise.  I do love the sky, day or night.

• Like 1

This hadn't even occurred to me but now I'm interested. I'm wondering how much light pollution the ship itself will give off. Last year I trekked around to a bunch of national parks all over the country, many of which were classified as "international dark sky areas" and I've gotta say that it's a sight to behold when you're out there and the skies are clear with no light to be found anywhere nearby. Great Sand Dunes, Canyonlands and Black Canyon of the Gunnison in particular were pretty amazing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I was a bit surprised at just how much lighting ships have outside at night. It's not exactly pitch dark by any means. I suppose there needs to be enough lighting for visibility for passengers who may be out and about and also to ensure visibility to other ships...

All the upper deck lighting these days is to satisfy the lawyers and risk assessors.

The lighting on cruise ships is actually counter-productive for other ships at sea, as it can mask the important navigation lights - masthead light(s), sidelights and stern light. The light pollution lets other ships know something is there, but the navigation lights provide important information on type of vessel, whether it is making way, direction of travel and whether it is crossing/overtaking, etc. The information gained from the Navigation Lights is used to comply with the Collision Regulations, when taking avoiding action.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sometimes there a stars observations are offered as activity. For those the lights in that particulare part of the deck are shut off.

Of course this comes with a lot of warnings and "on your own risk", seemingly unfortunately necessary due to the above stated litigation culture.

Otherwise I find it nowaday hard to find a dark spot. Your own balcony might even be the best option.

• Like 1

We live in a fairly rural area and 'sometimes' have good star gazing--even here it's problematic--but at times we can see the Milky Way .Western Nebraska is known for it's great star viewing, but we are in the north central area.

On a ship I've had problems seeing many stars since the ships are well lighted at night, but maybe with some work you could find an area away from most lights.

On a South America cruise one night they had a special time to view the southern cross and other southern hemisphere stars where ambiant lighting was shut off in the area the viewing was taking place.  It still wasn't spectacular.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

All the upper deck lighting these days is to satisfy the lawyers and risk assessors.

The lighting on cruise ships is actually counter-productive for other ships at sea, as it can mask the important navigation lights - masthead light(s), sidelights and stern light. The light pollution lets other ships know something is there, but the navigation lights provide important information on type of vessel, whether it is making way, direction of travel and whether it is crossing/overtaking, etc. The information gained from the Navigation Lights is used to comply with the Collision Regulations, when taking avoiding action.

In the entirely different world of small boating I used to hate those guys that would keep their docking lights on.  Hard enough to keep track of things at night without everyone's night sight being ruined.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One clear night on a small, <100 pax, ship several of us were enjoying a drink on the upper deck. The hotel director came up to see if there was anything we needed and “shoot the bull.” We were talking about how great the stars were even with the lights when he said that he might be able to arrange a special treat as he headed off.

A few minutes later he returned with the captain told us to put a hand on the railing so we didn’t get disoriented and the deck went dark. The captain gave us a great astronomy lesson. Just spectacular!

• Like 3

On 7/15/2022 at 8:44 AM, Tonsoffun44 said:

Slightly the opposite of you - I'll go to bed on a cruise at 1-2AM and be up again at 5-6am. Haven't been on that specific ship but  I've seen pretty good views of the stars on others by: AS EXPECTED--going to the upper most deck facing away from the most deck lights (which are plenty). 

I used to be like you and I want to be like you! My job has just trained me to go to sleep at 9 PM and wake up at 4 - 5 PM...thank you for your comment! I'll be searching for that upper deck. 

On 7/15/2022 at 8:46 AM, sparks1093 said:

I've been able to see the stars well from our balcony as long as our neighbors don't have their balcony lights on. I would think that any place on the ship where you can get away from the lights would be okay as well (upper decks especially when passengers are asnooze).

Hmm, perhaps I'll take a look out the balcony window. It was a very cloudy, stormy cruise in April, so I didn't really have that opportunity. And, of course, I'd like to lay down (even on the deck) and just look up. Can't quite do that on the balcony, BUT late at night from the balcony may be a great place to take a look. Thanks - I hadn't thought of that!

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 9:32 AM, evandbob said:

My experience has been that I could see some stars from my balcony after midnight, especially if I shielded my eyes with my hands, (kind of like blinders on a horse).  Not anything unusual though, and certainly not able to see the Milky Way.  Kind of disappointing, similar from what I see from my home in SWFL.

I've never had the energy to go up on the aft deck to see if there was less light pollution and therefore better star gazing.  I do have fond memories of seeing the Milky Way during blackouts at home when I lived in NY, and especially on overnight stays in Roatan when nightly power failures were routine years ago.

I haven't seen anything advertised in NCL's dailies, but you're certainly right about not having enough energy. I'm going to have a late night espresso and try it out though! 

On 7/15/2022 at 9:59 AM, Heidi13 said:

Even with the light pollution from cruise ships, you will see plenty stars on a clear night, but if you live in a rural area, you may have better views at home.

Scope out the upper decks at night to find a spot with the least light.

Thank you and yes, I have amazing views at home! No lights for at least a mile looking in two directions from home. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 10:16 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I've done this on Princess (self-confessed night owl). There are times when they advertise in the daily that they will be on an upper deck and they will turn off even more lighting than usual and have someone on hand to point out basic constellations. It's usually only an hour and maybe 1-2 times on a week long cruise is the most I've seen. 

I've got to ask about this. Maybe I could convince them to turn off some lights just for me...even just for 20 minutes. Ok, I doubt they'll be doing that, but I'll try! 

On 7/15/2022 at 4:13 PM, rkacruiser said:

I think you are correct regarding supplying sufficient lighting for guests to move around safely at night.  But, to ensure visibility to other ships?  No.  That's why ships have running lights.  

It used to be easy to find a really dark area on the upper decks of a ship that is accessible to guests.  One of the best spots that I ever found was on Rotterdam V.  Mid-ships, there was an observation area at the very top of the ship that could only be accessed by a steep ladder from the deck below, near the Sky Bar.  Few guests ever found it, but, those of us that did had spectacular views of a clear night sky.  One could commune with nature and God.  

That would be such a perfect place to just be at one with the ocean and spiritual nature! Sounds like a lovely experience you had. Thanks for sharing. 

On 7/15/2022 at 4:45 PM, shipgeeks said:

I remember being able to do so, successfully, years ago, but not so much now.  I'm not sure why. Less access to the dark forward deck (below the Bridge)?  More light from balconies (no such thing in our early cruising days)?  Being older now means we are less likely to be out and about at late/early hours?

I might have to make an effort to try again during our September cruise.  I do love the sky, day or night.

I'm almost 40 and even thinking about being up at 1 AM kills me haha....best of luck on your September cruise and seeing the gorgeous night sky!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

Thank you and yes, I have amazing views at home! No lights for at least a mile looking in two directions from home. 

My oldest son graduated from Utica College (now University, I believe) and another son attended before settling in Hoffmeister. 

On 7/16/2022 at 1:47 AM, smears said:

This hadn't even occurred to me but now I'm interested. I'm wondering how much light pollution the ship itself will give off. Last year I trekked around to a bunch of national parks all over the country, many of which were classified as "international dark sky areas" and I've gotta say that it's a sight to behold when you're out there and the skies are clear with no light to be found anywhere nearby. Great Sand Dunes, Canyonlands and Black Canyon of the Gunnison in particular were pretty amazing.

I used to live in Yellowstone, so traveled all over the western parks. The best evening I had was gazing at the stars from Swan Lake Flats near Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone. We were able to turn the car off, kill all the lights and just stare for hours with minimal traffic that late at night. 

I canoed the Green River through Canyonlands one week with friends and the stars there, deep in the canyon were mesmerizing. Since we were camping, there were no super late nights, but I remember around 10 or 11 and oh, the view was just stunning. Thanks for reminding me about those epic nights! 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 7:54 AM, carlmm said:

Sometimes there a stars observations are offered as activity. For those the lights in that particulare part of the deck are shut off.

Of course this comes with a lot of warnings and "on your own risk", seemingly unfortunately necessary due to the above stated litigation culture.

Otherwise I find it nowaday hard to find a dark spot. Your own balcony might even be the best option.

I am so hoping for a night sky program. I'm definitely looking into this - thank you good sir!

On 7/16/2022 at 11:20 AM, Nebr.cruiser said:

We live in a fairly rural area and 'sometimes' have good star gazing--even here it's problematic--but at times we can see the Milky Way .Western Nebraska is known for it's great star viewing, but we are in the north central area.

On a ship I've had problems seeing many stars since the ships are well lighted at night, but maybe with some work you could find an area away from most lights.

On a South America cruise one night they had a special time to view the southern cross and other southern hemisphere stars where ambiant lighting was shut off in the area the viewing was taking place.  It still wasn't spectacular.

THIS!! I don't know if Bermuda is far enough south to see a different sky. I remember seeing the southern cross a very, very long time ago (I was 16 in Chile). I definitely want to see the southern hemisphere stars again. If not in Bermuda, then sometime in the future. 

On 7/16/2022 at 12:31 PM, ldubs said:

In the entirely different world of small boating I used to hate those guys that would keep their docking lights on.  Hard enough to keep track of things at night without everyone's night sight being ruined.  

Not the same, but I was always annoyed at those that insisted on having their flashlight on when camping. If you let your eyes adjust, y ou can see so much without any light. 

• Like 2