As Usual Carnival Is Behind The Times.....Royal Debuts Biodegradable Straws

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Was recently on the Oasis OTS and had the pleasure of drinking through a biodegradable plastic like straw from a company called Strawfish.  Now why can't Carnival get these instead of the stupid flavored ones that taste like crap and melt.  https://www.strawfish.co/our-products

The major problem is that this is still a plastic straw, and the biodegradability of it has nothing to do with how it can be disposed of at sea.  It will still need to be hand sorted from the rest of the trash into "plastics only" bins and disposed of ashore.  This is US and international law.  Second, the WSJ has reported that scientists have said that the manufacturer's claims of biodegradability at sea (if you could dispose of this at sea) are greatly overstated, and could still take years to degrade.  Given Carnival Corp's past and continuing difficulties with environmental compliance, and one of the main offenses they were convicted of was not properly sorting plastic from the food waste, I doubt they will be in any hurry to look at an "alternative" plastic, that would easily be mixed with food waste.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

From Strawfish website:

"In Accordance With Testing Standard ASTM D5526-12, Our Products Have Been Tested To 100% Biodegrade In Under 27 Weeks IN Natural LANDFILL CONDITIONS."

That is 1/2 a year - still a long time to be sitting around.  While I agree CCL's sugar straws are not the greatest, I can confirm that it takes around 15 minutes for them to begin getting soggy and disintegrate in my drink - lol!

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

From Strawfish website:

"In Accordance With Testing Standard ASTM D5526-12, Our Products Have Been Tested To 100% Biodegrade In Under 27 Weeks IN Natural LANDFILL CONDITIONS."

That is 1/2 a year - still a long time to be sitting around.  While I agree CCL's sugar straws are not the greatest, I can confirm that it takes around 15 minutes for them to begin getting soggy and disintegrate in my drink - lol!

And the study reported by the WSJ says that in the ocean, they claim they break down in 3 weeks, if the sea water temperature is 86*F.   Average sea temp is 47*F, so they would take longer still to break down.

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Can these biodegradable straws go through the food grinders like the sugar straws can? If not, then they don't solve the problem Carnival was trying to solve.

No, they are still considered plastic.  You are correct that this does not solve the sorting the plastic straws from the food waste problem for Carnival.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I wonder if a wax paper straw could go through the grinders. I don’t understand why wax paper straws aren’t used as much these days. 

The only thing allowed to mix with the food waste (from the grinders), that gets discharged into the sea, is food.  Wax paper would need to be landed ashore or incinerated onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The major problem is that this is still a plastic straw, and the biodegradability of it has nothing to do with how it can be disposed of at sea.  It will still need to be hand sorted from the rest of the trash into "plastics only" bins and disposed of ashore.  This is US and international law.  Second, the WSJ has reported that scientists have said that the manufacturer's claims of biodegradability at sea (if you could dispose of this at sea) are greatly overstated, and could still take years to degrade.  Given Carnival Corp's past and continuing difficulties with environmental compliance, and one of the main offenses they were convicted of was not properly sorting plastic from the food waste, I doubt they will be in any hurry to look at an "alternative" plastic, that would easily be mixed with food waste.

I don't think anyone is really asking for the straws to be able to be disposed of at sea. The whole argument against plastics is that they don't biodegrade. Previously, it was stated a straw took 200 years to decompose. Half of a year, at worse, is solving the problem.

The whole straw thing is completely overblown anyway. Especially when you compare it to consumption of water bottles. We drink those like they are going out of style. Yet no one says a peep when we know those are ending up the same places straws are.

Sugar and paper straws are absolutely horrendous. If this breaks down in weeks, we are on the right track.

• Like 4

Elimination of plastic straws probably doesn't even move the needle.  But it sure makes everyone feel good.  It would be better to get rid of plastic bags, small plastic bottles and 99% of the stuff that appears in my mailbox.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

You are correct that this does not solve the sorting the plastic straws from the food waste problem for Carnival.

Why don't the ships simply use metal straws? There have never been plastic teaspoons, nor attempts to make a biodegradable version of teaspoons, no people complaining they need a proper spoon for medical reasons, or people suggesting to bring your own metal teaspoons to the ship. And guests and waiters don't throw them in the bin, either. I don't see how a straw differs so much from a teaspoon or a glass.

We brought biodegradable paper straws with us last cruise. They lasted long enough to finish a drink but then begin to break down soon after.  Works well enough for us.  They were also individually wrapped in biodegradable thin white tissue type paper, so stayed clean until use. They’re very affordable and I get my  fruity/slushy/tropical drinks the way they belong. Sucked through a straw.  🍹 Cheers! 

We’ve brought the Brita filtering water bottles with us before. They work great, however, dragging a water bottle around stinks. And you can’t beat bringing bottled water with you off the ship in ports. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Was recently on the Oasis OTS and had the pleasure of drinking through a biodegradable plastic like straw from a company called Strawfish.  Now why can't Carnival get these instead of the stupid flavored ones that taste like crap and melt.  https://www.strawfish.co/our-products

Just off of the Liberty. Biodegradable straws or none at all offered. They degrade fast. Terrible. What ever happened to the waxed paper straws that we had many years ago before plastic took over? Never a problem.

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I don't think anyone is really asking for the straws to be able to be disposed of at sea. The whole argument against plastics is that they don't biodegrade. Previously, it was stated a straw took 200 years to decompose. Half of a year, at worse, is solving the problem.

The whole straw thing is completely overblown anyway. Especially when you compare it to consumption of water bottles. We drink those like they are going out of style. Yet no one says a peep when we know those are ending up the same places straws are.

Sugar and paper straws are absolutely horrendous. If this breaks down in weeks, we are on the right track.

The reason Carnival got rid of plastic straws was the straws were often mixed in with food and made their way into the food grinders. At least that is the reason they gave.

2 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Why don't the ships simply use metal straws? There have never been plastic teaspoons, nor attempts to make a biodegradable version of teaspoons, no people complaining they need a proper spoon for medical reasons, or people suggesting to bring your own metal teaspoons to the ship. And guests and waiters don't throw them in the bin, either. I don't see how a straw differs so much from a teaspoon or a glass.

Carnival has sold metal straws on the ships for years now.

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

The reason Carnival got rid of plastic straws was the straws were often mixed in with food and made their way into the food grinders. At least that is the reason they gave.

Carnival has sold metal straws on the ships for years now.

Yes, the issue for Carnival is their environmental compliance with not accidentally disposing of plastic mixed with food waste. This has been a legal problem for Princess for over 20 years, and led to Carnival Corp being fined millions. It has absolutely nothing to do with plastic degradability, , it is all about dumping plastic at sea.

• Like 1

Any line touting biodegradable straws is merely trying to limit their exposure to plastic dumping fines,  but are trying to cash in on the environmental hot button topic of single use plastic. 

As for metal straws,  this would be an area that would require CDC/USPH input on whether existing warewashing equipment would adequately sanitize these.

• Like 4

I actually have gotten used to hard plastic, washable straws and much prefer them now. LOL have them at work, home, in the car, etc. and especially good with a thick slushy drink or shake, they don't collapse on themselves. Now paper and flavoured straws, just no, they change the taste of the drink, degrade to quickly and have an awful mouth feel.

• Like 2