Can you get Drinks (Drink and Refresh Pkg) as soon as u are aboard?

Out of Galveston there are some limited brands until it hits international waters, but never bothered me. But not every brand is available. Has to be texas bought for taxes but you can have that frozen margarita right away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Texas there is a limited drink menu approved by state regulators so there are limited choices until at sea but alcoholic drinks are available.  

Other than that one caveat you can pretty much walk on and on start drinking.  

• Like 1

Texas will also tax you on any bottles you bring off the ship if they see them as you exit the terminal.  Even if you are flying out same day.  For miniatures they wanted $.50 for the alcohol and $3 for the bottle a few years back.  

11 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Texas will also tax you on any bottles you bring off the ship if they see them as you exit the terminal.  Even if you are flying out same day.  For miniatures they wanted $.50 for the alcohol and $3 for the bottle a few years back.  

I ignore them , they never check anyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Out of Galveston there are some limited brands until it hits international waters, but never bothered me. But not every brand is available. Has to be texas bought for taxes but you can have that frozen margarita right away.

Our liquor laws are so outdated 😐

7 hours ago, davekathy said:

We never had to wait to get a drink (beer, wine or whatever we wanted) when we first boarded the ship pre shut down and post shut down.  

Do not know about other ports but Florida has the Cruise lines charge sales tax till thy are past the 3 mile limit.

11 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Do not know about other ports but Florida has the Cruise lines charge sales tax till thy are past the 3 mile limit.

Shhh, don't tell the Florida governor as we never have. 😉 Wouldn't stop us from getting a drink.  

Edited by davekathy

Just now, rebeccac said:

If you ordered a drink at a bar/restaurant before the ship is 3 miles out, you have paid the Florida tax even if you didn't realize it, it goes right onto your shipboard account.  

That how know we didn't as I look at the receipt when signing for our drinks. Pre covid cruises. No biggie if we do get charged. 

Just now, rebeccac said:

Not like you have a choice.   🙂

It is usually a fairly small amount.  And it will happen even if you have a drink package.

I guess I'll have to wait to see when we take our next cruise outta Florida. Just gotta remember to tell the server not to charge against our C&A drinks. 

There was a report here a week or two ago that on one of the RC ships, one could not be served until completing the individual muster drill requirement.  Board ship, go to muster station, get checked in, go to bar.

• Haha 1