Steamer confiscated?

cl.klink

I know you may not want to use one on a cruise.

It looks like a clothes steamer is allowed to be brought on board, according to Celebrity's website (NOT an iron).

But, anyone ever brought one and had it confiscated?  Or, anyone heard of that happening?

- Joel

I have yet to go to the naughty room to see what has been confiscated on any sailing... maybe the next one...

Apparently you do not realize that clothes steamers are treated like an irons.

bon voyage

We were traveling with friends a few years ago and their steamer was confiscated. Delayed getting their luggage by a couple of hous and they had to go to the naughty room to get their bag. 

45 minutes ago, cl.klink said:

It looks like a clothes steamer is allowed to be brought on board, according to Celebrity's website (NOT an iron).

But, anyone ever brought one and had it confiscated?  Or, anyone heard of that happening?

- Joel

No, clothes steamers are not allowed.  Here is the statement on the website FAQ

7A4312D8-9A7F-4510-B852-A1850CC378D2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On many cruises I have taken my steamer & never been to the naughty room - having said that I have only ever used it once so next cruise I will leave it behind. If anything is a bit creased I just hang the clothing in the bathroom with the shower on & the steam form the shower usually works wonders

5 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

No, clothes steamers are not allowed.  Here is the statement on the website FAQ

7A4312D8-9A7F-4510-B852-A1850CC378D2.png

Note - it says nothing about washing machines and tumble dryers.  You'll look a bit odd lugging them up the gangway, though.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, canderson said:

Clams.

This little gem won't even attract that kind of attention due to the form factor and complete lack of a cord:

https://onlinechina.shop/p-1600242460088

There are others that look like hockey pucks.

Looks like a trustworthy digital camp fire starter. 

I find it easy enough to use a little wrinkle release, or if required, just spending the few dollars for pressing services onboard.  They do a tremendous job and it's vacation, who wants to do "domestic duties"? 

• Thanks 1

For anyone who doesn't know why steamers are not allowed, there was a thread on the MSC board a number of years ago.

The OP was highly incensed that her husband had hung their daughter's dress from the cabin ceiling and proceeded to use a steamer. It was their last night on board and they had made reservation at a specialty restaurant.

The steam from the device set off the sprinkler system in the cabin which meant the cabin was thoroughly soaked. 

She was mad because MSC refused to compensate her for the missed specialty dining reservation  and the damage to their various electronic, clothing and other belonging (plus they were forced to move from their balcony cabin to an inside cabin for their last night on board).

The cabin, by the way, was going to need to be completely stripped out from the carpeting up and refurbished which meant the cabin was not available for future guests.

Edited by Homosassa

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

She was mad because MSC refused to compensate her for the missed specialty dining reservation  and the damage to their various electronic, clothing and other belonging (plus they were forced to move from their balcony cabin to an inside cabin for their last night on board).

Yeah, that sounds about right 🙄.....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cl.klink said:

- Joel

Any heat producing product other than hair styling ones are prohibited and will be removed from your luggage. Just follow the rules. YOu are not special or an exception. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 8:09 PM, cl.klink said:

It looks like a clothes steamer is allowed to be brought on board, according to Celebrity's website (NOT an iron)

what makes you say that? Clothes steamers are specifically named on the DO NOT PACK list

12 hours ago, Homosassa said:

For anyone who doesn't know why steamers are not allowed, there was a thread on the MSC board a number of years ago.

The OP was highly incensed that her husband had hung their daughter's dress from the cabin ceiling and proceeded to use a steamer. It was their last night on board and they had made reservation at a specialty restaurant.

The steam from the device set off the sprinkler system in the cabin which meant the cabin was thoroughly soaked. 

The cabin, by the way, was going to need to be completely stripped out from the carpeting up and refurbished which meant the cabin was not available for future guests.

Steam doesn't set off sprinkler systems. Probably a lot of backlash on the post because the story was fabrication. 

Edited by LMaxwell