The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 26th, 2022

richwmn

Did anyone else see the incredibly moving clip of Joni Mitchell and Brenda Carlisle at the Newport  Jazz festival this weekend? She has had a long recovery process from a brain aneurysm in 2015 and was ableto both sing and play her guitar.The joy on her face  was something to see. After I stopped boo hoo crying....

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Update on my brother’s car. It’s totaled. He had a letter from another insurance adjuster, assuming it was  from the driver that fled the scene, now Nationwide will go after them  for additional money. There really aren’t many used cars available for what he wants 🤞

Nationwide is giving $8,000

How awful for your brother!  Just parked on the street and totaled.  Now he has to try to replace it and $8000 doesn't go very far these days.  We heard this morning that used car prices have gone up 43% in the past 24 months.  So you have to pay more, IF you can even find one you like.

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

2 beautiful photos Sandi.

They both look adorable.

Graham.

Thanks so much Graham.  I agree.😁

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

We are heading to town today.   I am going to try to get on HAL Navigator today on my phone. It will require password reset because it has been so long.  I think I can book excursions for our 2023 cruise.  I have been watching CNNs Patagonia on Sunday evenings and I decided to go to Torres del Paine if it is still open.  The price is is breathtaking but I am sure the views will be also.

@kazuI am so happy Shadow has landed in Canada. Sandy I hope your DD surgery goes well. Your DG is lovely.  

Prayers for all needing them. 🙏 Thank you for the Daily Reports!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas.  At least for now, the wind is making it bearable outside, but I'm still staying inside.

After looking up All or Nothing Day, I can celebrate it.  I try to give my all to what I do.  This is the explanation of the day:  "U.S. National All or Nothing Day is celebrated every July 26 to encourage people to give their all to every task or dream they embark on. This can either be a sport, an assignment, a friendship, or even a Crossfit workout."  All my aunts and uncles were my grandparents siblings.  I was close to two of my mother's aunts.  We have two nieces and a nephew plus three great nieces on DH's side of the family.  I'll skip the tofu.

The C. S. Lewis quote is very interesting.  We read to the DDs a lot when they were little.  I did not like the Curious George books, and DH was not fond of Dr. Seuss, so we each had a series too read.

I'd eat the cake if given a slice, but I doubt I'll make it.  We'll pass on the drink, and the wine is a little pricey.

We have been to Huahine twice, and I repost the pictures I shared April 27, 2021.

@MISTER 67 I'm sorry your wonderful uncle died so tragically at such a young age.

@cat shepard  I understood the irony of the meme.

@marshhawk  Sending positive thoughts that everything is all right with Chuck's biopsy today.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, sending positive thoughts for DD's outpatient surgery today.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MORGAN!  Great picture of your DGD and a cute one of Sadie.

@smitty34877  Terry, I admire you for all you do for your family, especially for Tana and her son.  Remember we're here anytime you need to vent or just reach out for support.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you slept better and are more rested today.  Good luck with all the appointments and tests over the next two weeks.

@superoma  Great news that you are enjoying your air fryer.  🎂 HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW 🎈

@grapau27  Graham, our condolences to both of you on the loss of Pauline's colleague.

@ktbraun  Welcome to the Fleet Report and Daily.  It's good to know your DH is feeling better, and I hope his cough clears up soon.

@ClippyJoe  I'm sorry you never got to meet your father.  Your aunt and uncle were wonderful to help your mother and you and give you a loving home.

@1ANGELCAT  I'm sorry about the expected news that DB's car is totaled, and pleasantly surprised the insurance company settled so quickly.  Can't help wishing they'd been more generous, and hope DB finds a car he likes soon at a reasonable price.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

Huahine is in French Polynesia and consists to two islands, Huahine Nui (Big Huahine) and Huahine Iti (Small Huahine), plus several motu.  It retains more of it's traditional lifestyle, and until the late 19th century, it was an independent kingdom. 

We have been to Huahine-Iti twice.  The first time was in 1996 on Wind Song, and the second time was in 2004 on Tahitian Princess.  It is a small island of about 6075 people (in 2017) and is not visited by many ships.  

On our first visit, we took a tour of the island, and the second time we took a shuttle into the main village, walked around and stopped for a beer.  All the pictures are from our second visit.

IMG_3911.thumb.JPG.bca959291a3653cf70dca79cdf400ca4.JPG

IMG_3913.thumb.JPG.1d6a1df30141a2884551a3e8d69cc802.JPGIMG_3914.thumb.JPG.3235d35b5d2f6c5ef2f8db3372554db0.JPG

IMG_3920.thumb.JPG.f0bbd2acdde515abe7116de8fc731648.JPG

The pictures give you an idea why it's called the Garden Island.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Boy am I late today.  Sorry.

Yuzu Toddy cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Maker's Mark® Bourbon
2 heaping bar spoons Yuzu Honey
3/4 part Laird's® Applejack Brandy
1/2 part Yuzu Juice
5 parts Hot Water

Instructions
Combine all ingredients and serve hot.
*Yuzu honey: 1/4 cup yuzu rind**, 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup water, 10 tablespoons sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons pectin, 2 tablespoons yuzu juice. Add water to yuzu rind and bring to a simmer. Mix the sugar and pectin together. Stir into the water and yuzu, pouring in a thin, steady stream while stirring. Bring to a boil. Add the honey and stir until the mixture is thick. Add the yuzu juice. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Keep refrigerated when not in use. **You may substitute a bottle of citrus tea from an Asian market for the honey if you cant source yuzu.

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 11.36.39 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. I guess I should post and not just lurk. Not good when this wonderful thread drops off the first page.

i have now joined the air fryer club. We had an early birthday party on Saturday and that is what my girls got me as my gift. I made breaded chicken thighs and new potatoes last night. I can’t remember when I last had breaded chicken. Very good, moist, not greasy. Tomorrow night (actual birthday #72) I will use the air fryer to make the Hot Dogs for my Wise Wednesday women group. 

I can’t believe how quickly the summer is moving along. And it has been a real summer, hot and humid! I don’t mind the heat but can do without the humidity. At least we have been able to swim every Wednesday.

off to my sister’s house to show her and her granddaughter how to use their sewing machines. Will check in later. Have a good day everyone celebrating and prayers for those needing them.

Happy birthday tomorrow.

animated-happy-birthday-image-0089.gif.156a6101332730bcd0b4752a4f45232b.gif

• Like 9

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Not a lot going on today - DH has an ultrasound on his calf this morning, so I guess we'll stop for breakfast on the way home.  

Wishing for a good result for the ultrasound.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  Happy Tuesday. Thank you for the Fleet and Daily Rich. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, Happy Birthday to Morgan!  And best wishes to your DD today for her surgery. BTW, when I was a young teen I lived in a very small town in Colorado with about 6 stoplights. There were only a handful of places to eat and one was an A&W that had carhops. I worked as a carhop one summer, I think it was 1968, and it was much harder than I thought it would be but instilled a good work for all my future jobs. They actually used real frosted glass mugs for all the root beer. Very heavy. I broke one once and they took it out of my paycheck. 

I had many many aunts and uncles and now only 2 aunts are left. One lives here but is in poor health. Mom has been wanting to visit her but she’s been in and out of the hospital so not sure when that will happen. 

I’ve mentioned before that I like tofu but don’t have it very often. I’d love to have some tres leches cake today. 

Sunday was the family get together for Craig’s birthday and it was very hot but we still had fun. It’s sure nice having a pool for times like that. I made ribs, beans, mac salad, grilled mini peppers, and we also had chips, guacamole, salsa, chocolate cake and ice cream. 

Jacqui @kazu, how exciting that Shadow is on her way and now so close! You will be the best thing ever for her and I’m sure she’ll make a great companion for you. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good Tuesday to all.

I was close to my mother's two sisters.  One lived in a nearby town, and we saw her frequently.  She was a wonderful, loving, supportive person in my life.  She never married, but all of her nieces and nephews adored her - I like to think I was her favorite 😉.  DH had a similar relationship with one of his uncles.  We were both fortunate!

@cat shepard, I literally laughed out loud at the sign, and @rafinmd, I think my skin would have crawled at being stranded, albeit briefly, in a snowstorm in the Donner Pass.

@0106 That cake makes my mouth water.  I love the contributions all the Food and Beverage department bring to us!

@kazu, if there was an earlier photo of Shadow, I missed it, so I was happy to see this one.  I chuckled seeing the glare she was throwing at her crate.  So glad that she was unaware of the long flight ahead of her, and so GRATEFUL that it's over.  We are eager to hear the tales as you two get acquainted.

@kochleffel, good luck tonight.  That is such a miserable process - there MUST be a better way!

DH and I are doing the happy dance.  Despite the close contact, we have remained Covid free.  Thank you science for giving us two doses plus two boosters.  We'll line up for any vaccination.

Our Mykonos cat got unhappy news from the vet yesterday.  He's approaching the far end of bad renal values.  We've had him 18 years, and will do all we can to keep him happy as long as possible.

A big thank you to all who share their lives, photos and memes.  🤗

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

kochleffel, good luck tonight.  That is such a miserable process - there MUST be a better way!

DH and I are doing the happy dance.  Despite the close contact, we have remained Covid free.  Thank you science for giving us two doses plus two boosters.  We'll line up for any vaccination.

Our Mykonos cat got unhappy news from the vet yesterday.  He's approaching the far end of bad renal values.  We've had him 18 years, and will do all we can to keep him happy as long as possible.

There is a better way, at least for anyone at low-average risk of colon cancer.  I've talked to my doctors about doing Cologuard next time and they said I'm a good candidate.  DH, unfortunately isn't a good candidate. 😞  

Yay that you have remained Covid-free!!

Very sorry your kitty isn't doing well 😞  sending hugs.  Kidney problems are sadly common in cats. 

I love the name, Mykonos!!  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

Good Tuesday to all.

I was close to my mother's two sisters.  One lived in a nearby town, and we saw her frequently.  She was a wonderful, loving, supportive person in my life.  She never married, but all of her nieces and nephews adored her - I like to think I was her favorite 😉.  DH had a similar relationship with one of his uncles.  We were both fortunate!

@cat shepard, I literally laughed out loud at the sign, and @rafinmd, I think my skin would have crawled at being stranded, albeit briefly, in a snowstorm in the Donner Pass.

@0106 That cake makes my mouth water.  I love the contributions all the Food and Beverage department bring to us!

@kazu, if there was an earlier photo of Shadow, I missed it, so I was happy to see this one.  I chuckled seeing the glare she was throwing at her crate.  So glad that she was unaware of the long flight ahead of her, and so GRATEFUL that it's over.  We are eager to hear the tales as you two get acquainted.

@kochleffel, good luck tonight.  That is such a miserable process - there MUST be a better way!

A big thank you to all who share their lives, photos and memes.  🤗

I'm sorry to hear your cat has bad renal problems @Live4cruises

Prayers for his wellbeing and to have no pain and enjoy his time left.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Cool here this morning, but still dry at my condo. However, other parts of the city had some very localized rain. Maybe my day will come today.

I would love the cake if someone else made it. Tofu is not my thing. Have not been to today's destination, again.

Glad Shadow is getting closer. She (?) is going to take all your focus shortly.

I went out to the hospital today for my blood test (early, to be there when they opened) and the lab did not have the order. It was very early so I will call my doctor later today and get his office on the stick. Annoying. But, I went out for a good breakfast in town. Then on to shelter to watch the unloading of the kennels. Also looked at our busted gate.... they have it chained shut with 3 very heavy chains. Will have to get a new one in place after the kennels are done. Hope they catch the guy.... we have some very clear video which we supplied to the police, but I suspect we are not high on their "to do" list.

Susan

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Aloha fellow Daily-ites. Another beautiful day. I feel bad for my Texas friends and others suffering from the relentless heat.

Sandi sending prayers for your DD and Happy Birthday to your DGD. Lovely girl.

Jacqui I can't wait to see Shadow frolicking in her forever home. I'm so happy for you!

image.png.27d5e4e53354901568e90e533f69ed64.png

Roy I hope your doctor visit came out well for you. I would like to share your alternative meal. Love lamb chops!

We haven't decided what we're going to do today or where to eat. Maybe after our coffee our brains will kick in.

Wishing everyone prayers, blessings and Cheers. Xx

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Busy day. Visited Sir Walter’s Scott favorite view followed a few miles later with a walk in the woods to Sir William Wallace Memorial. Then Melrose Abby where Robert The Bruce’s heart is buried. Then Rosslynn Chapel.

Now eating at Kurdish restaurant.  

image.thumb.jpeg.67a24f54949c9902b45d639b11319f63.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a3e0fa3bb174836333162c0cd6d5a0da.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5ae09b7359b382feb67898a759e570fd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.da1839d981433c3818e4a356ec9aa19b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c91edf86134741a1e44e57952c728441.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.efc5cf6f83b8595ae0326abda8f75922.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eb162d6190fdc1a8d132c4d441f21924.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9f8e3b8a295444a3baafb6ae2bc37d52.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e9c3f716e99db1ede3db7a50a43706c4.jpeg

• Like 30

6 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Busy day. Visited Sir Walter’s Scott favorite view followed a few miles later with a walk in the woods to Sir William Wallace Memorial. Then Melrose Abby where Robert The Bruce’s heart is buried. Then Rosslynn Chapel.

Now eating at Kurdish restaurant.  

image.thumb.jpeg.67a24f54949c9902b45d639b11319f63.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a3e0fa3bb174836333162c0cd6d5a0da.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5ae09b7359b382feb67898a759e570fd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.da1839d981433c3818e4a356ec9aa19b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c91edf86134741a1e44e57952c728441.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.efc5cf6f83b8595ae0326abda8f75922.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eb162d6190fdc1a8d132c4d441f21924.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9f8e3b8a295444a3baafb6ae2bc37d52.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e9c3f716e99db1ede3db7a50a43706c4.jpeg

Looks like a great day of touring!

• Like 15

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I don't like all or nothing; it's not how things work. While I had no Aunts or Uncles growing up, neighbors were given honorary Aunt or Uncle status, since you didn't call them by their first names and Mr. or Mrs. X was too formal. No to tofu for me. Interesting quote.

I have never had the cake, but like the one with pumpkin; pass on the drink, and yes to the wine if someone buys it for me.

I haven't been to Maroe Bay.

It's warm here, but much better than the last few days. I spent the morning frustrated by not being able to install Windows updates. From online searching, many others are having the issue. I tried some tricks recommended, but nada, and don't want to do anything to extreme to PC. Oh well. After this, I'm going upstairs to clean up the area of fallen plaster and try to put some protective cloth down as more rain may occur tomorrow and Friday. Tomorrow is Evusheld injection and Friday I see Orthopedics about my knees (haven't had an injection since 2019).

@rafinmd Thank you for keeping our lists.

@kazu How exciting that Shadow is in Canada now and will be with you soon (maybe very soon)! 

@0106 Thanks for the recipes!

@marshhawk Prayers for Chuck. 

@StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to Morgan (great picture)! Prayers for DD's surgery and recovery. Oh, how cute is Sadie!

@dfish Sorry you missed your fjord cruise. Thanks for the pictures.

@Cruzin Terri I hope all the appointments are able to get you feeling well.

@superoma Welcome to the air fryer club. And early Happy Birthday tomorrow! 

@kochleffel Good news on the bloodwork. I had that same menu last year; no fun!

@grapau27 Sorry to hear about Pauine's work colleague.

@ktbraun I hope your DH recovers quickly and symptoms remain mild. 

@ger_77 I hope DH's ultrasound turns out ok.

@ClippyJoe Sad that you never got to meet your father, but wonderful of your aunt and uncle to have you and your Mother live with them.

@1ANGELCAT I hope your brother can get a decent replacement car; even used cars are so expensive now.

@smitty34877 Yes I saw the Joni Mitchell clip; very emotional with all she's been through.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the pictures.

@Sharon in AZ I think at the A&W near where I grew up, the carhops wore roller skates!

@Live4cruises Yay on remaining Covid free! Sorry to hear the news about your kitty.

@aliaschief Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip with us. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

My alternative menu suggestion is Mixed Italian Garden, Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb with Mint Basel Pesto and Potatoes Gratin and the  Tres Leches Cake would be a nice finale.

Roy

This meal sounds like heaven to me.

Jane

• Like 13

It's from a movie, I don't remember which one, and the line says,  you are just the tip of the iceberg.

It has something to do with the insanity of their family, and that while she is the tip of the iceberg, the rest of the family under the water level is MUCH bigger.

So lets start with my grandmother on my mother's side.  She was married, she had 5 sons, her husband left her, and she went to work in the family business, which was Motorcycles.  Marsh Motorcycles. All 5 of her sons grew to about 17 years old and left home.  And then she met James Gibson, my grandfather, and even though she was older, Fannie had a way about her.  He proposed several times, and she finally agreed to marry him as long as no children were involved.  She suffered from depression, anxiety and lets face it, she was a bit crazy.  She got pregnant and gave birth to my mother.  Several years later, she found out she was pregnant again, and threw herself out of their apartment window, trying to kill herself and the child.  My aunt Ginna.  She of course failed, was hospitalized and gave birth to my aunt.  But because she didn't want the child, she refused to name her.  So baby had no name for several years.  She showed anger and frustration towards the baby, and mommy dearest, picked that up, and started abusing her sister, and Nanna tries to "off" herself again, and back into the insane house again.  This time my grandfather didn't know what to do with 2 small girls, so he packed them off to live with his mother and father in north central Canada.  I have a picture of the two little girls living in a mud house.  My aunt looked happy, and mom, well she wanted better.

This was the pattern for all their lives,  my mom abusing, either physically or emotionally her little sister. When they got to college, my dad met my aunt, and asked her out several times.  My mother didn't want her sister to get him so she wheedled her charms into Dad, and he dropped the younger sister, and married my mother.  My aunt quit school, got a job in Brazil at the American Consulate and met my uncle.  They married, moved back to the states (he was Brazilian and no one in the family liked him.)  I did, but i did think he was a bit weird, always asking me personal questions, but heck he came from another country . So since her sister wasn't around to be abused, I became the abused.  And while she was verbally abusive to me, she would get my father to be physically abusive to me. And 4 out of 5 nights a week, he beat the crap out of me.  However, one day, after I explained to him that I was not the problem, he took off from work, followed me home, and listened to the tirade of mommy dearest towards me.  Neither of us knew my dad was in the house.  He walked quietly up the stairs an told my mother to shut up.  He told me to leave and go to my friend Paul's house and to come back in a couple hours. 

Any further beatings towards me were instigated by my actions with him, not because my mom told him to beat me, and when asked, he did.  

I loved my aunt, she was sweet, intelligent, educated and worked as an assistant to a Dean at Wagner College.  My uncle, it turns out was stalking me, showing up places I had no idea that he was there, because they knew about the beatings.  They knew about the abuse.  And they wanted to make sure I wasn't becoming my mother.   Turns out that my neighbors also knew (you can hear things), and if they saw me walking home from school, my girl friend's father would often pick me up and drive me home.

The last time I saw my aunt and uncle was when I started dating Chuck, and I wanted them to meet him, that was back in 2002.  Unfortunately Chuck's father got very ill, and he had to fly out to AK to be with his family, and I got to spend 3 days with my aunt.    This was when my uncle told me that he had been to my graduations,   (high school and college).  I thought he was weird, but he and I talked a lot over the next couple of years, and he did explain a lot to me.  About my adopted family.  So I guess, he wasn't as weird as I thought.  My aunt developed Alzheimer's and my uncle got cancer.  He called to tell me why he stalked me, and he asked my permission to die. I knew how much my mother had suffered her last year, and I said yes, he had my permission, I was OK, and he said he thought he had about 5 more months.  He died 3 weeks later.  My aunt lived for another 10 years, totally not knowing any one around her.  I hope my cousins looked after her.  But our calls stopped when they were beginning to scare her.

I am just the tip of the iceberg.  And Nanna? Well she died in a mental institute in 1971.  Another attempt too many.  

My brother does not want his kids to know this part of our history, so I do not know them well, my nephew wont talk to me, and my niece ignores me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 16

Guilty! I am one of the lurkers who reads daily but doesn't post often. I always love to look at everyone's photos, whatever the subject is. If I wasn't so computer illiterate perhaps I could learn how to post photos. I had 1 aunt and 4 uncles, all deceased for many years. As an only child I have no nieces or nephews so I claim my late husbands 1 niece and 2 nephews as my own.

@aliaschiefKnowing nothing of Scotland or it's history I find your photos are magnificent and I would very much appreciate an explanation of what you are seeing.

@kazuI am looking forward to seeing photos of Shadow.

• Like 20

11 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

If I wasn't so computer illiterate perhaps I could learn how to post photos.

What are you using to post?  Smartphone?  What kind?  Computer?  What kind?  We can teach you how to post your pictures. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I spoke with my DM this morning and she has covid. Drat!  She sounded horrible but said it wasn’t as bad as she thought it would be when she “eventually would get it” so that’s good. 

Robin @Live4cruises — so sorry about Mykonos. We lost our dear Sassy from kidney problems but I actually think she did it herself after her sweet brother (he was a beautiful Maine Coon) because she missed him so much.  

Vanessa @JazzyV— thankfully I didn’t have to wear roller skates when I was a car hop!  😉

Ann @marshhawk — prayers for Chuck today. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1