Due to lost Luggage a woman wore sweat pants every day on 15 Day Cruise ??

M&A

Some years ago we took a Baltic cruise out of Dover and flew from Toronto to Heathrow, also on Air Canada. We arrived on time, but our bags were still in Toronto - they never loaded them on the plane. Fortunately we had booked a few nights in London and a night in Dover before the cruise, so our bags had a chance to catch up to us. It took two days, though.

Earlier this month we took a river cruise with another couple, meeting in Munich before the cruise. While our travels were uneventful, our companions were not as lucky. They were connecting through Toronto; first flight was delayed and they missed their connection. They couldn't get another flight to Munich from Toronto, so they ended up taking the train to Montreal to get a flight. Meanwhile, no one knew where their bags were. Since the flights had been booked through the cruise line, the line said they would give them 1200 euros to purchase clothing - so our first day together in Munich was spent shopping at TK Maxx. (Not a typo- that's what the chain is called there.) The cruise line also provided free laundry for them. One bag caught up with them in Passau, four days later. Another bag arrived in Vienna the next day. The third bag, which had wedges for the husband's bad back, is still lost.

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Unless the flight is full & you are forced to gate check your bags 😉

This is why I still cross-pack our bags, even with carry-on only. Packing cubes (in two colors) are very good for this. Once on the ship (or on the bus for a land-based tour) the colors migrate back to the person they belong to.

6 hours ago, matamanoa said:

I often ask myself what folks who bring only carry on do in the case of liquids or gels that they might need on their trip.  The airline will only allow certain sizes and for things such as mouthwash, toothpaste, shampoo, etc for a week long or more trip, do you buy these items when you get to your destination before the cruise?

100ml is actually a fair lot. I bought 3oz containers, and put all my liquid "toiletries" in them and kept track of how long they lasted -- wound up buying 2 and 1 oz containers for almost everything (DH and I do keep our hair short). We went carryon only for a 26-day cruise, following a few rules.

1- take only what you will need.

2- do not put anything in the "wet" quart/litre bag that is not liquid or gel. Have a second "dry" bag for razor/brushes/vitamins etc.

3- for the medicine/emergency bag, seek dry or tablet forms of cough suppressant, cold remedies, etc.

We're not big sun-lovers or swimmers, but I would probably find a way to purchase reef-safe sunblock in a larger bottle in the port-city for a longer cruise. They tend to be rather pricy in tourist towns much less on the ship!

10 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Ah, sounds like someone just didn't want to pay for some "dressier" clothes and try to re-coup those costs from the airline.  There are standard claim amounts you can make for lost/delayed luggage.  Here is the one for travel within or originating from Canada:

• The airline is liable for damages caused by delay in the transportation of checked baggage, up to a certain limit:
    • CAD$2,300 (approx.) on itineraries within Canada and international itineries, including to the US; and
    • US$3,500 on domestic itineraries within the US.
  • If your baggage is delayed, the airline must also refund the baggage fee.

https://airpassengerrights.ca/en/practical-guides/baggage/delay

There must have been some time to find something at a nearby discount retailer.  Pretty sure the Brits have the equivalent of TJ Maxx and Ross.  (Some might argue: "Yeah, Woolie's!")

If you are traveling to UK/Europe with that tight a budget, you are doing something very knife-edge.  Since they had to cancel formal dinner & dance reservations, that could have freed up some funds to cover something better than sweatpants if they really were that skint.

And it's not like the "new" clothes they bought would be thrown away.  Did they never intend to buy clothes ever again in their lives?

What happened is annoying, and unfortunately has happened a lot recently, it seems.  But it didn't need to be the clothes-disaster they made it into (or just made it sound like).

I sense a bit of attention-***** behavior.

When I read the article my impression was the reporter did a little sensationalizing over what probably actually happened. I agree with the passenger that losing luggage would be a pretty awful thing to have to deal with on vacation.   

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

When I read the article my impression was the reporter did a little sensationalizing over what probably actually happened. I agree with the passenger that losing luggage would be a pretty awful thing to have to deal with on vacation.   

Yep, it seemed like a news peg to talk (later) about the issues at that specific airport this summer.

For all those who said she should've bought new clothes, we don't know what she was told. If she thought her luggage was going to show up at the ship or at the first port, she may well have thought she'd just get by until her clothes arrived....

I was once on a tour of Egypt with a couple whose luggage (both his suitcase and hers) went missing. Every day I heard our guide tell them at breakfast that the suitcases would show up in a day, or two days or at the next stop. The suitcases never arrived until the end of the trip when we arrived back in Cairo for a couple of days at the end of the tour. 

I was very impressed at the time with the sang froid with which this couple dealt with the issue. There was no real complaining -- at least not in front of the rest of us. They did not take it out on the guide. And most importantly, they did not let it ruin their vacation. From them I learned two things: 1) always carry at least one complete change of clothes + 1 extra top in a carry-on, and 2) should the worst happen, put it into perspective and don't let it ruin the trip of a lifetime.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Wonder if the husband wore sweat suit as well?

No mention of his attire for the 15 days

Most cruise lines will do the laundry at night for PAX whose bags were lost

I would certainly  find something  to wear ..

Carry a CC  or 2 so you can at least buy something onboard  or onshore to get you through  until you bags arrive

Cross pack

JMO

If they couldn't find anything on the ship they could save port time by simply going online and ordering clothes from Amazon and have them delivered to the next port. If you have the will, and a credit card, there's always a way!

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

If they couldn't find anything on the ship they could save port time by simply going online and ordering clothes from Amazon and have them delivered to the next port. If you have the will, and a credit card, there's always a way!

How would that work?  Would you get the port address from the ship then have it delivered to that address?  Would the ship staff even have the mailing address?  Seems like it would be a mess to find a random package at a ship terminal.  I'm not saying it is a bad idea.  I'm just asking how this might work in case I have to do it someday.  

17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

How would that work?  Would you get the port address from the ship then have it delivered to that address?  Would the ship staff even have the mailing address?  Seems like it would be a mess to find a random package at a ship terminal.  I'm not saying it is a bad idea.  I'm just asking how this might work in case I have to do it someday.  

Amazon has pick up lockers and counters in lots of countries. If you are looking for one in the UK for example you have to sign into amazon UK and you can find one near an address, like a cruise port. My son worked in IT at Amazon and he told me about this. He is a world traveller and uses these lockers and counters all the time if he doesn't have a set location like a hotel when he orders. 

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, wemjam said:

I do 2 TSA approved clear zipper top travel bags with 3 oz less size for each product and can do the 8-10 easy for hubby and I.  And I have a LOT of products.  I have long hair so 2 shampoo, 2 conditioner, shaving cream, toothpaste, mouthwash, contact solution, sunscreen, multiple hair products, aloe (in case I burn), bottle of nail polish, liquid make up products, alcohol spray for cleaning surfaces myself, fabric refresher/wrinkle releaser, and a few other things I am sure I forgot.  It's amazing how much you can get in there if you are good at Jenga or Tetris!

Or you could skip all the beauty product and use those Jenga skills seeing how many mini bottle of booze you can fit in there. It’s all about priorities. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Amazon has pick up lockers and counters in lots of countries. If you are looking for one in the UK for example you have to sign into amazon UK and you can find one near an address, like a cruise port. My son worked in IT at Amazon and he told me about this. He is a world traveller and uses these lockers and counters all the time if he doesn't have a set location like a hotel when he orders. 

This is really a pretty good option to have in the hip pocket should the luggage ever go missing.   I'm not sure I would have thought about it if you hadn't mentioned it.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Be thankful--very thankful--that you now "are in the condition that you are".  DrSea, that is likely not to be "forever, and ever, amen."  

Thank you for your insight. Yes I am very thankful for being so able body.

I frequently care for patients on their death bed and I ask them what would they do differently if they had the chance. 3 common themes came up:

1. They regret working so much. 
2. They regret not spending more time with their family

3. they wish they traveled more when they were younger and able to walk. 

I’m doing my best to not repeat these mistakes, although I work 80-100 hours a week. I’m trying. I am traveling and am in my early 30s. I appreciate the privilege I have

• Like 3

Cross-packing is hard to do when traveling solo…

If I was told “next day” all the time I probably wouldn’t buy anything either…

what happened to the anecdotes of Guest Services giving left behind/ unclaimed clothes to guests with missing bags???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2022 at 5:11 PM, wemjam said:

I do 2 TSA approved clear zipper top travel bags with 3 oz less size for each product and can do the 8-10 easy for hubby and I.  And I have a LOT of products.  I have long hair so 2 shampoo, 2 conditioner, shaving cream, toothpaste, mouthwash, contact solution, sunscreen, multiple hair products, aloe (in case I burn), bottle of nail polish, liquid make up products, alcohol spray for cleaning surfaces myself, fabric refresher/wrinkle releaser, and a few other things I am sure I forgot.  It's amazing how much you can get in there if you are good at Jenga or Tetris!

I've found understanding what is considered a "liquid" can be helpful. Sanitizing/bug repellent wipes aren't and are a good replacement for sprays. Stick deodorants and sunscreen don't need to be in your liquid bag nor does bar soap which with a brush can replace shaving cream.

My 311 usually carries shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste leaving room for the occasional mini-bottle of vodka which may find its way into an inflight glass of tomato juice even though it's not supposed to. 😉

Edited by K32682
  • Haha 1

We were on a TA from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale on Prinsendam, and met a couple from Sweden who had boarded in Athens (I believe) and were going to be on board for a month or so, around South America, or wherever.  Their luggage had somehow gone astray - and they were continually advised that it would catch up “at the next port”.  They were usually seen wearing HAL logo things, and stuff from the on board shop.  Fortunately for them, their bags did finally catch up at Lisbon - the last port before the trans-Atlantic leg.

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

I've found understanding what is considered a "liquid" can be helpful. Sanitizing/bug repellent wipes aren't and are a good replacement for sprays. Stick deodorants and sunscreen don't need to be in your liquid bag nor does bar soap which with a brush can replace shaving cream.

My 311 usually carries shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste leaving room for the occasional mini-bottle of vodka which may find its way into an inflight glass of tomato juice even though it's not supposed to. 😉

It would be a mistake  to assume that the TSA regs are followed in every country.  Our experience is that they are not.  Some countries are less stringent, others much more stringent.

We carry our sunscreen and bug repellent in 100ml containers.  We have had larger half full tubes, 300ml of sunscreen removed and discarded by airport security in some countries, including Canada. 

Ditto for liquid bug repellent.  We only travel with carry on so all liquids are subject to inspection..  Some countries appeared to be very interested in the contents of the bug repellent.  In one instance we had a 75ml bottle confiscated.  Not certain what it was that caused them to take it away.

You never know.....especially if there happens to be a security alert in the airport where you are being inspected/processed.  We has the misfortune to experience this at LHR.  Excruciating long lines and regs followed to a T by the security staff.

Edited by iancal

And there are some great "solid" options for many liquid products if you are really committed to doing carry on only. 

To all the "I only carry on" folks, PSA: Please don't ask me to put my backpack below my seat to make room for your suitcase. I wish flight attendants would also quit asking me to do this. I carry on light for my own ease and comfort. That ruins it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, weltek said:

And there are some great "solid" options for many liquid products if you are really committed to doing carry on only. 

To all the "I only carry on" folks, PSA: Please don't ask me to put my backpack below my seat to make room for your suitcase. I wish flight attendants would also quit asking me to do this. I carry on light for my own ease and comfort. That ruins it.

Agree.

And the other thing that I will no longer do after learning the hard way....I will not lift someone else's carryon that appears to me to be  very heavy, or heavier than I can handle,  into the overhead compartment.   

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, weltek said:

Yes, I'm tall.  My feet go under the seat in front of me.  

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Agree.

And the other thing that I will no longer do after learning the hard way....I will not lift someone else's carryon that appears to me to be  very heavy, or heavier than I can handle,  into the overhead compartment.   

And, neither will some (most?) Flight Attendants.  

10 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Cross-packing is hard to do when traveling solo…

This is true. But I would put some undies and as close to a change of clothes (maybe a sundress, to wear while my travelling outfit was laundered or drip-dried?) in my smaller bag and whatever non-clothes I figured I could live without in the suitcase, rather than segregating hard-goods from clothes. In case of being forced to surrender the larger bag.

5 hours ago, weltek said:

Totally agree.  I paid for that overhead space and the space on the floor for my feet just as you did.  If I get on the plane ahead of you that is your problem and not mine.  If there is no space for your bag you can gate check it which is usually free anyway.

DON

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iancal said:

Agree.

My husband was kind enough to lift a lady’s bag, when she asked, and tore the ligaments in his shoulder.  Had to have surgery and a ton of time off work.  Even in recovery with his arm in a sling he was still being asked.  He used his good arm and, guess what?  Same thing happened.  If you can’t lift your own bag, don’t ask someone else to do it!!!  😡  And don’t get miffed when he now says no.  😒

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

My husband was kind enough to lift a lady’s bag, when she asked, and tore the ligaments in his shoulder.  Had to have surgery and a ton of time off work.  Even in recovery with his arm in a sling he was still being asked.  He used his good arm and, guess what?  Same thing happened.  If you can’t lift your own bag, don’t ask someone else to do it!!!  😡  And don’t get miffed when he now says no.  😒

My view is that if someone is foolish enough to pack a carry on bag to a weight that they cannot physically handle or place in an overhead then I am not going to be foolish enough to help him or her IF  suspect that it is too heavy for me. 

Many of the regional carriers have a weight limit of 8KG.  There is a reason for this.  Can you just imagine someone lifting a carry on that is too heavy only to have it fall on top of a poor passenger seated below.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, weltek said:

Just to provide a different viewpoint, I (as a frequent flyer and business traveler) often see fellow business travelers board the plane, place both their rollaboard and briefcase above the seat, fold their coat or jacket on top of it and take their seat with nothing under their feet. By the time folks with lesser status board, all the upper space is gone. 

I know flight attendants see this and I applaud them for on occasion asking passengers who've done this to move their smaller bag to underneath. 

• Like 4