Your Opinions about Covid risks - please nothing political - just interested in your thoughts!

NiceAunt

I hope I don’t get bashed or shamed here for asking this question, but I truly am just interested in peoples thoughts these days.

I am 62 and my husband is 72. We both recently had Covid and it was really really bad  - it was nothing like a common cold or even the flu.   Believe me it was not fun.   We liken it to being beaten with a baseball bat over and over and over for 4 days.   We could hardly walk to the bathroom our muscle aches were so bad.   We just felt awful.   My husband needed to take Paxlovid due to being high risk.   He finally tested negative after 10 days and I am still testing positive after 4 weeks, even though I have no symptoms now. 

We are contemplating a cruise in January 2023 for 14 days through the Panama Canal. While  there are no guarantees, you could still contract Covid even if you do everything in your power such as wearing masks, isolating yourself, etc.   What worries us most is coming down with it and being  moved into a Covid floor  …possibly without each other if only one of us were to get sick … and basically locked down for a minimum of 5 days and possibly the duration and needing good quality medical care.  I’ve read a few recent posts where people were quarantined for almost their entire cruise, often away from their spouse and literally locked in their Covid room….no key card given so you can’t even walk 20 steps a day outside the room to get exercise. Even if we were permitted to stay in our own room, being locked in for 5+ days is concerning.

We are currently weighing the risks about continuing forward on this trip.My husband is reluctant to take the risk that we could contract Covid  again and be relegated to the Covid ward on the ship for who knows how long.  It was bad enough being at home in our own bed but can’t imagine being on a cruise ship stuck in a tiny room and being so sick,

i am really undecided. It is after all 5 1/2 months away, but if we are going to pull the plug on it we need to do it soon so that we can pivot our vacation plans toward something else.

Just curious as to everyone’s thoughts right now about the risk versus rewards of cruising. How would you feel if you tested positive and had to spend a significant part of your cruise isolated in a room that you were not permitted to leave at all, with little Wi-Fi or anything to keep you busy? And food that sounds like it is sub par at best.   And with lack of quality medical care if you had it bad?

Again, I am just interested in peoples thoughts here.   Please no political discussions, just what are your thoughts regarding the risks!  Would you take the risk?  

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, NiceAunt said:

I hope I don’t get bashed or shamed here for asking this question, but I truly am just interested in peoples thoughts these days.

I am 62 and my husband is 72. We both recently had Covid and it was really really bad  - it was nothing like a common cold or even the flu.   Believe me it was not fun.   We liken it to being beaten with a baseball bat over and over and over for 4 days.   We could hardly walk to the bathroom our muscle aches were so bad.   We just felt awful.   My husband needed to take Paxlovid due to being high risk.   He finally tested negative after 10 days and I am still testing positive after 4 weeks, even though I have no symptoms now. 

We are contemplating a cruise in January 2023 for 14 days through the Panama Canal. While  there are no guarantees, you could still contract Covid even if you do everything in your power such as wearing masks, isolating yourself, etc.   What worries us most is coming down with it and being  moved into a Covid floor  …possibly without each other if only one of us were to get sick … and basically locked down for a minimum of 5 days and possibly the duration and needing good quality medical care.  I’ve read a few recent posts where people were quarantined for almost their entire cruise, often away from their spouse and literally locked in their Covid room….no key card given so you can’t even walk 20 steps a day outside the room to get exercise. Even if we were permitted to stay in our own room, being locked in for 5+ days is concerning.

We are currently weighing the risks about continuing forward on this trip.My husband is reluctant to take the risk that we could contract Covid  again and be relegated to the Covid ward on the ship for who knows how long.  It was bad enough being at home in our own bed but can’t imagine being on a cruise ship stuck in a tiny room and being so sick,

i am really undecided. It is after all 5 1/2 months away, but if we are going to pull the plug on it we need to do it soon so that we can pivot our vacation plans toward something else.

Just curious as to everyone’s thoughts right now about the risk versus rewards of cruising. How would you feel if you tested positive and had to spend a significant part of your cruise isolated in a room that you were not permitted to leave at all, with little Wi-Fi or anything to keep you busy? And food that sounds like it is sub par at best.   And with lack of quality medical care if you had it bad?

Again, I am just interested in peoples thoughts here.   Please no political discussions, just what are your thoughts regarding the risks!  Would you take the risk?  

Thanks! 

Based on your previous experience - I would take a pass.     There seems to be a trend toward quarantining in your rooms, but your previous bad experience has you appropriately concerned.   

There are many other vacation options - I would rather spend the next 5 months planning a fun trip somewhere you have more control over your situation.   If you stick with the cruise ship you will likely be anxious for the next 5 months - not fun... 

• Like 15

I appreciate your desire to get opinions and feedback from others, but in the end it seems like a highly individual decision. My circumstances are not what yours are, so my decision might be very different from yours. Were I in your shoes, with your concerns, I'd probably think twice about cruising.

That said, it seems to me that people get caught up in the idea of quarantine being so restrictive. Yes, it is meant to be. I unfortunately feel that in the world we live in, if you entrusted passengers with COVID with card keys, they would be out walking around the ship and infecting others. ("Oh, but we only stayed on the outside deck (except for all those hallways we had to walk through to get there)")  and so on.

Having read through literally dozens of reports from people who've been quarantined on various lines, it seems to me that only a VERY FEW were in quarantine situations apart from a spouse or partner who was also positive, unless they chose to be apart. There have been a few who reported different, but they were also less than clear about the specific circumstances....  I think that's one fear that I'd consider pretty unlikely to happen in real life.

On the other hand, yes it is entirely possible that you'd be moved to a different cabin and that you'd be restricted in that cabin. Not sure about 5 and 1/2 months from now, but that is certainly the situation at present and has been that way since cruising resumed. If you don't feel you'd want to be in that situation with COVID, then it seems best to avoid a cruise for now.

Personally, the idea of quarantine doesn't scare me from the perspective of being confined to my cabin and being bored -- I am good at occupying myself and could read for days on end. But what does bother me is that I would not be getting the vacation I planned for -- I cruise for the opportunities to visit new places, not to luxuriate onboard ship. For that reason alone, the current situation does raise concerns. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

If you want excellent medical care and the comforts of home, your vacation sounds like it needs to be a Stay-cation. A road-trip or airline-distant travel all come with potential virus exposure and quarantine...

We are booked on a back-to-back (both) to the Mexican Riviera for a total of 16 days starting in late December into January '23. I will be 64 and my husband is 75; we have not had COVID but are vaccinated x4. I believe by that time quarantine will be a restriction to our own balcony cabin, but if I'm wrong, our kindles (and my knitting) will keep us occupied. If I'm too sick to read or knit, then I won't mind whatever room I'm in!

From what I've read, medical care for COVID seems to be to treat the symptoms unless you fall in a category to rate Paxlovid. Other therapeutics could become available, but we will pack a kit of our "favorite" cold-and-flu remedies, which we always take on trips, anyway.

So that is our choice, but you will need to make your own decision.

ETA: unlike @cruisemom42, this particular trip is just a getaway to use FCC that is going to expire at the end of the year and add enough credits to move up our loyalty level. Our excursions will all be from the ship (hence refundable), and we will have supplemental medical insurance. 

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

That said, it seems to me that people get caught up in the idea of quarantine being so restrictive. Yes, it is meant to be. I unfortunately feel that in the world we live in, if you entrusted passengers with COVID with card keys, they would be out walking around the ship and infecting others. ("Oh, but we only stayed on the outside deck (except for all those hallways we had to walk through to get there)")  and so on.

Totally agree.

• Like 1

Right now cruising is going through some significant changes in terms of relaxing protocols.

Just in the past 2 weeks:

- Princess announced they have upped the number of unvaccinated adults to 10% and made getting a vaccine exemption much easier.

-Virgin removed all pre testing and also upped the number of unvaccinated.

-Azamara removed all pre-testing protocols. 

- Carnival dropped pretesting for vaccinated guests on cruises less than 6 days

-RCL also dropped pretesting for vaccinated guests on cruises less than 6 days.

- RCL put out a blurb to 'Welcome the Unvaccinated". They will now allow 20% unvaccinated onboard their ships (a significant shift toward opening cruises back up to everyone). 

Of course, cruise lines are still restricted based on the ports they are visiting, but protocols of places that cruises visit are also going by the wayside quickly.

It sounds like you maybe a bit concerned about contracting the virus onboard. Unfortunately, I believe the odds of contracting covid onboard a ship are higher than a land vacation due to population density.

Since you need to make a decision quickly, and changes are happening rapidly, I'd advise you to select a wonderful land vacation and spend the next 5 months excited. Let the dust settle in the cruise industry. Cruising will still be here when things settle down.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I think that at the present time, you are more likely to catch covid at the airport and flying to the port and on the confined spaces of a ship than if you stay at home and take precautions like wearing a mask when you go out.  That is why although we could easily take a Summer Alaska cruise to and from Seattle this year we have decided not to.  That said, we are booked for a 42 day Asia cruise starting next March.  I am hoping that a newer vaccine will be available by this December to treat the latest variant of the virus and that Japan will have relaxed its restrictions on cruise ships at that time.  Otherwise, we will cancel before final payment is due in December.  So far we have avoided covid, but at 80 and 82 we really don't want to take a chance that is avoidable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In Covid Jail at this time on HAL ship…get out Aug.2 if all well. Both husband and I have it. I’m quite achy today with cough, slight fever, little sore throat. Ship is doing their best to help us. No changing cabins now…or at least not for us. We prepared “just in case” so have plenty of books, tv, movies I’ve downloaded etc.  However, I really don’t feel well enough to read right now.

This is the third cruise this year for us and first one we got Covid on in spite of always wearing masks (required by captain), eating in out of the way areas, no theater, no bars…none of those are what we do. At 80 and 78 we’re readers. I’m glad we took the chance on this cruise but not sure I’d chance it for a short one where you’d miss too much.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, janmcn said:

In Covid Jail at this time on HAL ship…get out Aug.2 if all well. Both husband and I have it. I’m quite achy today with cough, slight fever, little sore throat. Ship is doing their best to help us. No changing cabins now…or at least not for us. We prepared “just in case” so have plenty of books, tv, movies I’ve downloaded etc.  However, I really don’t feel well enough to read right now.

This is the third cruise this year for us and first one we got Covid on in spite of always wearing masks (required by captain), eating in out of the way areas, no theater, no bars…none of those are what we do. At 80 and 78 we’re readers. I’m glad we took the chance on this cruise but not sure I’d chance it for a short one where you’d miss too much.

I hope you and your husband will feel better soon. I wish you all the best.

• Like 3

With the information you shared, including how sick you were previously with covid, I'm another one to vote no on another cruise adventure at this time.  People are getting covid multiple times, and some are mildly ill but others are gravely ill.  Why chance it? 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, NiceAunt said:

I am 62 and my husband is 72. We both recently had Covid and it was really really bad  - it was nothing like a common cold or even the flu.   Believe me it was not fun.      My husband needed to take Paxlovid due to being high risk.   He finally tested negative after 10 days and I am still testing positive after 4 weeks, even though I have no symptoms now. 

Under similar circumstances we cancelled a planned 28 day cruise starting next week.

Exactly a month after second booster my older husband got COVID, was desperately sick and required Paxlovid.  I was quite sick too but never actually tested positive.

We cancelled within the full refund stage.

We have a 14 day booking for early May held on a 'wait and see'.

Edited by Been There, Planning That
Clarity
  • Like 3

Picture this:

You're wearing masks, and you get in the empty elevator.  You're going up to the top.  The elevator dings and somebody gets on without a mask.  Does this worry you?  At the next ding, a family of four without masks gets on and you're trapped in the back corner.  Holding your breath now?  If you're going to be one of those who wish "others would only do what I do so I can enjoy myself", then probably best not to go.  Because I'm just being honest...nobody really cares about your insecurity.

• Like 5

I would be talking to my personal physician not a group of strangers no matter how well meaning they are.  This is what we have done in the past and I have an appointment in 10 days to assess my risks for the next cruise at the end of August.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I would be talking to my personal physician not a group of strangers no matter how well meaning they are.  This is what we have done in the past and I have an appointment in 10 days to assess my risks for the next cruise at the end of August.  

Asking here has value to make sure that the physician is informed of all the changes currently taking place in the cruise industry. Without asking here, the OP might not realize how quickly the dominoes are falling in terms of covid protocols. This thread has given the OP relevant knowledge to share with her physician.

• Like 9

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

Asking here has value to make sure that the physician is informed of all the changes currently taking place in the cruise industry. Without asking here, the OP might not realize how quickly the dominoes are falling in terms of covid protocols. This thread has given the OP relevant knowledge to share with her physician.

It could but I have always found my physicians well informed.  I think what she needs most to know what are her probabilities of experiencing a bad case of Covid once again.  The physician knows her risks,  can test for strong presence of antibodies and make the call.  If she is susceptible she might as well plan on a quarantine.  None of us know what quarantine will look like in 2023 but it will be at least what is required for norovirus and that is confinement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Appreciate all of the replies!  

As I stated in my original post, I am really just interested in hearing people's viewpoints on this subject, I am not asking for people to decide for us.  

It is a very interesting topic of conversation in our circle of friends and want to hear others views. We have a few friends who are going no matter what, a few others who have already backed out and few others who are taking a wait and see approach as the time gets closer. 

Of course, it is a decision that only we can make and we will make a fully informed decision based on our own circumstances and risk tolerance level.  

Edited by NiceAunt
  • Like 4

I'd have a talk with your physician first and listen to his/her recommendations.  If it were me I'd say "NO GO"; as someone mentioned earlier there are new vaccinations coming out in October.  I would take that vaccination and see what is going on around us at that time reference Covid numbers then you can determine if it right or not.  Don't take the chance now, you both seem highly susceptible to  the negative impacts of Covid; the last place you want to be is on a cruise ship with detrimental Covid effects.

• Like 3

My opinion has been unchanged for over 2 years (from July 2020) and often posted here on CC.  COVID is a very efficient virus that is here to stay!  You either learn to live your normal life in a COVID world or you can sit home and dream about life.  2 years ago, here on CC, I began posting "what do you think is going to change in the next two years?"  My point was that we would still have COVID and the virus would continue to mutate into forms that would be vaccine resistant (typical of Coronoviruses).  And that is what we have today.   By the end of the year, we will likely have vaccines that are much more effective against the BA4 and BA5 variants.  But you can, take it to the bank, that COVID will soon morph into a new variant.   New vaccines will keep chasing the variants, but there will always be a COVID risk.  I guess the good news is that the current BA4 and BA5 variants are not as deadly, and most folks recover from relatively mild cases.  

I have no answers for the OP as each person needs to deal with their own "risk tolerance."  No question that traveling and COVID do increase your chances of catching COVID simply because you are being exposed to more folks in crowded places.  When you see careful folks like President Biden and Dr. Fauci getting COVID (despite masking, social distancing, etc), it sends a clear message that everyone will eventually get this nasty virus.  It is just a matter of when and where.  And once you have had COVID you can get it again and again.  If that sounds familiar just think about influenza, common colds, URI's, etc. 

DW and I get our vaccinations and use some simple common-sense precautions.  We do not go seeking out crowded places,  do our best to avoid elevators,  keep our distance from folks who are obviously sick, etc. but on the other hand, if we want to go somewhere we accept the risk.  When we have cruised (75 days in the past 10 months) we do our usual socializing, spend plenty of time around other folks, share tables for dining, and have our normal great time.  We do accept the risk that goes with this behavior but are not willing to make ourselves miserable by giving up much of what we love about travel and cruising.  We have seen a few couples on our cruises, who are not happy cruisers because they isolate themselves in their suites, avoid most shows, etc.  We know this because we have chatted with some of these folks on our cruises (they do come out from time to time)  especially to go the MDR or alterative restaurants where we are at nearby tables. 

There is a strange irony to this awful virus.  While we have spent the last two years doing our usual extensive travel (cruises, independent land trips, etc) we have been fortunate to have not caught COVID (to the best of our knowledge).  Meanwhile, just about every friend and family member who have stayed home, been very cautious, wear masks, etc. have all had COVID (in some cases...multiple times).  Go figure.   We think our secret is luck.   When you think about it, a lot of what happens in life is about luck.

Hank

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I am so sorry you had such a bad case of covid!  We have been fortunate, so far and will continue to cruise. But we are only taking short 7 day cruises just in case. That is our comfort zone in order to continue to live our lives. 

• Like 1

Another viewpoint here.  On top of the vaccines you've already had, your recent bout with Covid has also given you some natural immunity.   New vaccines are set to be available this fall that target the current variants.  I would get a booster this fall and go on the cruise in January.

My viewpoint is influenced by the fact that last year I had open heart surgery.  Time is not unlimited.  Enjoy it while you can.   I agree with @Hlitner.  You can either try to hide from Covid or live the life you want to with reasonable precautions.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My experience (in May this year) was not on HAL, but may be relevant in some details.  Ours was a 21 day cruise,  a TA, a week in Norway, followed by another TA back to home port.  We are both vaccinated and double boosted, I’m 75 and DH is 77.  I tested positive on day 6 during a routine screening….. had no symptoms whatsoever.  My husband tested negative, and continued to test negative for 5 consecutive days, testing every day in the Medical Center.  (He actually saw the people in the Med Center, which is more than I did…..)

Someone on this thread mentioned being separated by choice.  We did choose to separate, but our choice was influenced by being told we would need to sign a special waiver if he came with me into quarantine, as we would be “knowingly exposing him to the virus.”  We were given 10 minutes to talk it over and choose.

I found quarantine to be boring…… I was in isolation for the full ten days as when I was retested (on days 5 and 7) I still showed positive, although I continued to feel fine and had no problems.  I did have a well loaded kindle, and my knitting, and the isolation room had a balcony so I had access to fresh air.  I got to enjoy looking at the Norwegian fjords, but it was sad not to be able to leave my cabin or interact with anyone.  (I was so bored I watched the Downton Abbey movie 3 consecutive days, the third time on the French language channel….my ancient college French was still reasonably good, I found!). 

After the full ten days, I was turned loose and sent back to my husband and had no restrictions whatsoever.  As I was fine the entire time, I never needed or asked for any Medical Services nor were they ever offered.  I have relatively severe asthma but did not even find I was having my normal breathing issues, so I know I was very lucky……

Barbara M. In NH

• Like 7

Back in March my sister and I took our first post-Covid cruises.  Both of us flew to Ft. Lauderdale from different cities.  In FL there were no restrictions at hotels, restaurants, stores, etc.  We didn't wear masks on the ship unless required, such as on the gangway when boarding or embarking.  The ship was at 92% capacity.  We ate in the Lido and MDR, played trivia and bingo, went to shows, etc.  

Neither of us contracted Covid for which we were grateful, but we both said the same thing - that ship was safer than our workplaces at home.  My sister works in a grocery store in direct contact with the general public, and I work in an office 2 days a week with a majority of co-workers who either don't believe Covid exists or don't believe in vaccines.  The passengers on the ship all had to be vaccinated, and all were tested prior to boarding.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fortunately you recognize that the decision is yours and not ours.  In my own case (I'm 78 and have several medical conditions) I choose to cruise because I can still get covid at home and if I wait until the risk is completely over I'd be too old to cruise.  My first 2 times (February and May) I saw a lot of protocols on the ship but no real evidence of covid on the ship.

My last cruise (QM2 in July) my cabin was right next to the covid area so it was very apparent (I had to go up or down a deck to get to the core of the ship) but I was comfortable enough to book another cruise while on board and am still looking forward to the Eurodam in November.

Your reaction to the bout of covid you got leaves me very concerned.  With such a reaction I can readily understand and support a decision not to cruise but I am not really sure any other form of travel is that great an idea.  I was about to suggest that a getaway should be close enough to home to get back and have the support of your own doctor if you did get covid.  I was about to suggest either a city getaway like Philadelphia or a beach but then remembered you were looking at January.  Oops!  I still like the idea but only if you could move it either to late fall or to spring.

I'm also hoping for a vaccine more attuned to the recent variants by the time we leave.

The one other suggestion I would make is that you consult a travel doctor.  They might be in a better position than either your personal physician or us here on cruise critic to help you understand the pros and cons.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2