Surely its just a window you can open?

gordylad

2 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

People look at the Celebrity advertisements that show IVs with all of the benefits and none of the issues.  Who would have thought that E class would have removed the foward looking area AKA Sky Lounge.  Most ships have these.  Yet they did.  Most people though the newest E class ship was going to be better.  I certainly did.  However it did not come close to living up to the overblown hype and was a lesser ship that S class in most regards.

Another example of overblown marketing is the Hollywood Walk of Fame.  You look at Hollywood's pictures and then go there for yourself and it is definitely not the same experience.  You may not even bother getting out of the car.

Now Cruise Critic where they go into great detail on discussing this topic has great merits.

I was on the Summit once, before it was refurbished.  Did I like it, yes, I also thought it was kind of staid and in the mold of cruising days of yore, though of course that is where the appeal lies to many.  I have been on EDGE once and I was blown away by the entire concept.  Was it perfect, of course not, but I still got the wow factor in just about every area of the ship.  I will be n her again in Oct for a TA, came close to booking another cruise on the Summit, but even after seeing the videos and pics after the refurb I still felt like it was my grandmas ship...no I'm not judging oldsters because I am one.  E-class for me all cruises going forward.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 11:44 PM, julia said:

Hmmmm..  just wondering who's winning that "beaten to death" race...

A. Dress code horse?

B. Drink package horse?

C. Covid mask/test horse?

D. Infinite balcony horse?

E. Can I make a 9:45 flight horse?

It's close folks, really close.  🤣😯

Omitted....the "should I/shouldn't I tip (extra/not extra) horse? 

22 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

@kwokpot

That foto of MSC's "IV" shows what Celebrity could have done with their IV cabin layout. MSC's opens up the space rather than chopping up the cabin by separating the window area into a "veranda". 

For most of our cruise on the Edge, we just left the separator doors open and the 'balcony' part of the room, when added to the rest of the room felt like one continuous, larger space.  At least to us it did.  When we did have the window down, while it did not feel exactly like a true balcony, it did feel close enough to us....especially when we closed the separator behind us and made the balcony its own space.  The only thing that bothered us a little is that if one person in the cabin was asleep, there was really no way to 'sneak out' to the balcony quietly as the window and the separators make noise.  Minor impact though.

We have an upcoming cruise on the Beyond and we booked the same type cabin.  It worked for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

I was on the Summit once, before it was refurbished.  Did I like it, yes, I also thought it was kind of staid and in the mold of cruising days of yore, though of course that is where the appeal lies to many.  I have been on EDGE once and I was blown away by the entire concept.  Was it perfect, of course not, but I still got the wow factor in just about every area of the ship.  I will be n her again in Oct for a TA, came close to booking another cruise on the Summit, but even after seeing the videos and pics after the refurb I still felt like it was my grandmas ship...no I'm not judging oldsters because I am one.  E-class for me all cruises going forward.

But to be fair, don't you usually book suites?  The E-class ships were designed to enhance the suite experience, so I can believe that suite guests are having a better experience on the E-class ships.

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Omitted....the "should I/shouldn't I tip (extra/not extra) horse? 

LOL-- Can I add:

" the "should I/shouldn't I tip (extra/not extra) horse ----in a Specialty Restaurant ??

And, if anyone cares --an IV balcony ( ?? ) is a just cubby hole, in a cabin, with a window that goes 1/2 way down.

A " real " balcony on a cruise ship is a place to dry clothes, read books, eat meals (if desired ) and when necessary , shout down at pier runners.  End of story.

( Here comes the " who are You to tell Me etc,etc " )

Off topic:

Where is Southern Canada ?? 

Texas ?   Ft Lauderdale in the winter ?  or  Montreal ? 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

But to be fair, don't you usually book suites?  The E-class ships were designed to enhance the suite experience, so I can believe that suite guests are having a better experience on the E-class ships.

Yes I do.  I probably (from what I've seen here) spend a little more time than most in my cabin.  I do love wandering the ship though and love the open spaces there, so when not in my room That's where I am and I also like the MDR's as much as I do Luminae, I'm sorry but I disagree with many, the food there is as good and almost interchangeable.  Meaning if the same dish from MDR were served to me in Luminae, I'd not really know the difference.

2 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Even then, from the videos I have watched, the RS and CS balconies are puny. 

We stayed in a CS on Edge.  The balcony was a bit narrow but held two armchairs (no footrests) and a full size table with 2 chairs.  No lounge chairs.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

The last time I checked E class had about 36 sunset verandas AKA real balconies.  These need to be booked about a year or two in advance in order to get one

I was on Apex, in a Sky Suite Move-Up bid from a Concierge IV. We did have travel companions in an IV on that sailing, and upon visiting their cabin my wife and I agreed the minimum Move-Up bid was the best money we ever spent on a cruise.

Both couples subsequently booked on Beyond in SV cabins for November 2023 (I'm a big fan of E-class!). Another friend of mine tried to book the same cruise in an SV just a few weeks ago, and those staterooms are already all booked, more than 16 months before sailing. There's clearly a demand for "real balconies."

I have a simple question. Regular Veranda cabin, Infinite Veranda cabin, side by side, veranda doors open. Remove the top window from the IV balcony leaving just the bottom casement. Other than the more modern presentation of the IV cabin, what is the difference between the two and what are you now going to call it? Close the balcony doors to both and you are in that "box" on both. If you sit on your regular veranda with the doors open and the AC on, shame on you, that is inexcusable.  

58 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I have a simple question. Regular Veranda cabin, Infinite Veranda cabin, side by side, veranda doors open. Remove the top window from the IV balcony leaving just the bottom casement. Other than the more modern presentation of the IV cabin, what is the difference between the two and what are you now going to call it? Close the balcony doors to both and you are in that "box" on both. If you sit on your regular veranda with the doors open and the AC on, shame on you, that is inexcusable.  

To add to this. If you want to dry your hair on the balcony, it does not matter what type of balcony you are on. Actually, your wet hair dries faster if you are in an air-conditioned room with little or no humidity. I see why there are no answers to my question. Nothing sensible or logical out there. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I call one a balcony cabin with the door open and the other an IV cabin with the window open.

And when the door to the balcony in your regular veranda cabin is open, the AC turns off, same as when the IV window is open. Do you shame those that leave the IV window open? Is that inexcusable as well?

I ask again, why can't people who like IV cabins simply like them for what they are?

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

In your IV, no recline high back chairs. Traditional balcony much deeper with more space and a bigger table. In your IV Aircon is now off. In your IV both people have to use the space in the same way at the same time. With traditional one person can be on the balcony with the curtains closed whilst the other can enjoy the benefits of a darkened air-conditioned room - very useful if one person is an early riser, or if one person is not feeling well.

In short the traditional gives you more options and greater comfort when sitting. The IV looks and sounds great for passengers who like the idea of a balcony but don't actually use it.

So far I haven't seen a post (or supporting pictures) by a single supporter of the IV who says they like to spend around 4 hours every sea relaxing in the very comfortable chairs provided and with the window down - which is how we use our balcony.

• Like 3

On 8/1/2022 at 6:11 PM, gordylad said:

Infinite balcony.......not for me

Thank you for sharing this video, really opened my eyes what the difference is between this and a regular balcony, which after seeing this, a regular balcony would be our choice!  Thank you!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, the penguins said:

In your IV, no recline high back chairs. Traditional balcony much deeper with more space and a bigger table. In your IV Aircon is now off. In your IV both people have to use the space in the same way at the same time. With traditional one person can be on the balcony with the curtains closed whilst the other can enjoy the benefits of a darkened air-conditioned room - very useful if one person is an early riser, or if one person is not feeling well.

In short the traditional gives you more options and greater comfort when sitting. The IV looks and sounds great for passengers who like the idea of a balcony but don't actually use it.

So far I haven't seen a post (or supporting pictures) by a single supporter of the IV who says they like to spend around 4 hours every sea relaxing in the very comfortable chairs provided and with the window down - which is how we use our balcony.

I guess it’s not enough for you that someone just says they sailed in an IV and would do so again?  Just wondering anyone needs to explain.

10 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I guess it’s not enough for you that someone just says they sailed in an IV and would do so again?  Just wondering anyone needs to explain.

There are lots of reasons to like a particular cabin design, apparently the IV design suits your needs.  I think Penguin was looking for a little more information about how people that like IVs use their cabin.   He was asking if anyone really sits in their IV cabin with the window down for several hours, sitting by the window in the new Hoppen-designed furniture and enjoyed the experience.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

People look at the Celebrity advertisements that show IVs with all of the benefits and none of the issues.  Who would have thought that E class would have removed the foward looking area AKA Sky Lounge.  Most ships have these.  Yet they did.  Most people though the newest E class ship was going to be better.  I certainly did.  However it did not come close to living up to the overblown hype and was a lesser ship that S class in most regards.

Another example of overblown marketing is the Hollywood Walk of Fame.  You look at Hollywood's pictures and then go there for yourself and it is definitely not the same experience.  You may not even bother getting out of the car.

Now Cruise Critic where they go into great detail on discussing this topic has great merits.

Have you been on an E Class ship?  I was on the Apex.  The Expansive Aft view and walking/jogging track have to be the best in the cruise industry.  The three different MDR’s with slightly different menus is also a cool innovation IMO.  There are many really nice features on the E Class ships, but the balconies are not one of those features.  Not even at the suite level.  

But I do continue to love the S Class ships.  She is still probably my favorite. 

11 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

It would be enough for me if they left it at that. But there's this subset of people who enjoy IV cabins that feel the need either to justify it or to indoctrinate others into liking the cabins by claiming it has balcony, using various forms of mental gymnastics. Like "your hair would dry just as fast" as if that's why people stay in balcony cabins.

IV are lovely cabins and people like them, and that's great. But it's clear to me from the descriptions and pictures and videos that I would find it lacking on itineraries that I normally sail. I'd miss having a balcony. I know this having never sailed in an IV, just based on my own research and ability to think critically. Why is that so hard for some people to accept?

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, RichYak said:

It would be enough for me if they left it at that. But there's this subset of people who enjoy IV cabins that feel the need either to justify it or to indoctrinate others into liking the cabins by claiming it has balcony, using various forms of mental gymnastics. Like "your hair would dry just as fast" as if that's why people stay in balcony cabins.

IV are lovely cabins and people like them, and that's great. But it's clear to me from the descriptions and pictures and videos that I would find it lacking on itineraries that I normally sail. I'd miss having a balcony. I know this having never sailed in an IV, just based on my own research and ability to think critically. Why is that so hard for some people to accept?

I would not call it a balcony in the traditional sense for sure.  If people love them that’s great go for it, if people don’t (and I don’t think you’d have to of stayed in one to feel that way) there are other options.  Obviously strong feelings both sides.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Have you been on an E Class ship?  I was on the Apex.  The Expansive Aft view and walking/jogging track have to be the best in the cruise industry.  The three different MDR’s with slightly different menus is also a cool innovation IMO.  There are many really nice features on the E Class ships, but the balconies are not one of those features.  Not even at the suite level.  

But I do continue to love the S Class ships.  She is still probably my favorite. 

Yes I was on the Edge.  The Expansive Aft view came from the RCL ships.  Nothing new here except the RCL ships also have a front view.  Now for MDRs I really do not care as I do specialty dining.  The specialty dining on Edge was more loud and shouty than I care for.

Now the suite level on E-class has superseded most of the negatives of E-class.  You have real balconies,  a forward looking view, and a quiet place to get a drink.  

While the Edge was a nice and shiny ship.  It was not a very functional ship for a number of reasons.  All of which have been enumerated here on this board multiple times.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Yes I was on the Edge.  The Expansive Aft view came from the RCL ships.  Nothing new here except the RCL ships also have a front view.  Now for MDRs I really do not care as I do specialty dining.  The specialty dining on Edge was more loud and shouty than I care for.

Now the suite level on E-class has superseded most of the negatives of E-class.  You have real balconies,  a forward looking view, and a quiet place to get a drink.  

While the Edge was a nice and shiny ship.  It was not a very functional ship for a number of reasons.  All of which have been enumerated here on this board multiple times.

Excellent summary

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 3:55 AM, kr00t0n said:

I prefer them, horses for courses. Would be interesting to see what the opinion split would be based on cruise history and age demographics, as I am sub-40 years with 15 cruises under my belt, and love basically everything about the Edge class ships.

Sub 40 here- haven't tried IV and won't. I want a BALCONY not a window. I can understand why some may like them but they aren't for me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I was responding to the the question" what's the difference"? I listed the differences which to us make an IV a non starter. Others have different opinions and priorities which is fine.

• Like 1

Just as I thought, sometimes the simplest of questions, for many folks, are the most difficult to answer. A case in point, my question in post #160.

Remove the top window on the balcony of an ‘E’ class Infinite Veranda cabin and you call it a balcony cabin with one stationary window. Same definition applies to the ‘S’ & ‘M’ class standard balconies, one stationary window.

I really don’t care if cruisers don’t like Celebrity’s ‘E’ Class IV cabins, whether they have cruised in one, or not. Obviously, not their choice. You don’t like the two-window configuration and seating arrangements on the balcony of an IV cabin. Just say that. It is quite humorous reading other absurd comments like hair drying capability, railing height, cabin temperature, room with a window or ocean view and “sitting in a box”, all superfluous drivel.

I rest my case.

2 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Just as I thought, sometimes the simplest of questions, for many folks, are the most difficult to answer. A case in point, my question in post #160.

Remove the top window on the balcony of an ‘E’ class Infinite Veranda cabin and you call it a balcony cabin with one stationary window. Same definition applies to the ‘S’ & ‘M’ class standard balconies, one stationary window.

I really don’t care if cruisers don’t like Celebrity’s ‘E’ Class IV cabins, whether they have cruised in one, or not. Obviously, not their choice. You don’t like the two-window configuration and seating arrangements on the balcony of an IV cabin. Just say that. It is quite humorous reading other absurd comments like hair drying capability, railing height, cabin temperature, room with a window or ocean view and “sitting in a box”, all superfluous drivel.

I rest my case.

Sorry Spif but I'm confused.  Was your case for the Prosecution or the Defense?  Regardless it will be cross examined.