!st timer with room service question (amongst others)

Speedbird01

20 hours ago, Speedbird01 said:

The week after next we'll be trying our first Princess cruise, last week we tried our first MSC Cruise, previous to that we have done loads of RCI and Celebrity cruises where you currently get a fixed charge for ordering room service regardless if you order a sandwich or a load of food.

On the MSC we were expected to pay for each item of food individually yet the delivery was 'free' (we were Fantastic status)

What is the procedure on the Enchanted Princess? can drinks be included? and is that 'Medallion' thing as good as the videos say it is? get food and drink wherever you are? seems too good to be true to a cynical old fool like me.

Any simple guides will be appreciated though (yes, i've seen another thread with 146 pages covering the Medallion subject but, life's too short)

Thank you for any help.

You haven't said if you have purchased the Princess Plus package. 

If you haven't,  I seriously recommend that you do so.

This has to be bought in advance.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You can request for the used dishes to be picked up on the TV (didn't check for that on the app). They come surprisingly fast.

I did this once on my last cruise.  Wasn't sure if I was supposed to put the tray outside the door or wait for someone to knock on my door.  I had seen many trays outside doors, particularly early morning.  I did put the tray outside but what do others do?  I have a feeling my room steward took the tray away.

3 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I did this once on my last cruise.  Wasn't sure if I was supposed to put the tray outside the door or wait for someone to knock on my door.  I had seen many trays outside doors, particularly early morning.  I did put the tray outside but what do others do?  I have a feeling my room steward took the tray away.

Pre-Covid we'd leave the tray in the room for the steward.

On our cruise in April, our cabin was in a dog-leg and we were the only ones in that small area. I put the tray outside the door (after requesting pick-up) and it disappeared. I wouldn't have put it outside, if we'd been on a main hallway. Trays in the hallway could easily be a navigation hazard.

• Like 1

I have also written in hot breakfast items like ham & cheese omelets, hash browns, bacon, sausage, etc. on the door tag and they arrive just as requested.  Although you don't have to, but we do tip extra when we ask for things that are not even offered on the menu.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Folks out there on this thread, do you really need to be on the package to get a drink delivered anywhere?  Thought that worked out for everyone - even someone like me who doesn't purchase the PLUS fare option.

Of course you can get it delivered, you just have to pay for it.  Sorry, I should have been more clear 😁

• Like 1

Because I usually like to have something to snack on while having a drink, I called from our cabin before going to the bar (Crown Grill Bar, Vines, etc.) and ordered some appetizers to be delivered to the bar. Usually after we arrived at the bar and ordered our drinks, the food would arrive. 😀

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Although you don't have to, but we do tip extra when we ask for things that are not even offered on the menu.

When you all are tipping extra for room service, do you add the tip on a receipt so it goes on your onboard account, or are you tipping cash?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Although you don't have to, but we do tip extra when we ask for things that are not even offered on the menu.

Hopefully you realize that the person delivering the meal had absolutely nothing to do with the preparation or your additional items. If you want to tip for delivery that is fine but the person you are tipping is not the one who did the "extra" stuff for you.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MileHighAko said:

When you all are tipping extra for room service, do you add the tip on a receipt so it goes on your onboard account, or are you tipping cash?

We always bring a bunch of dollar bills for tipping and quite honestly, they never ever pause as if they are waiting for a tip, and you are NEVER obligated to give an extra tip, but we just do.  Whenever I can be generous, I try to be.  That's just me though.  To each their own however they decide to handle it.  I do not want to cause a tip debate/discussion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

We always bring a bunch of dollar bills for tipping and quite honestly, they never ever pause as if they are waiting for a tip, and you are NEVER obligated to give an extra tip, but we just do.  Whenever I can be generous, I try to be.  That's just me though.  To each their own however they decide to handle it.  I do not want to cause a tip debate/discussion.

I like to get $1 coins before the cruise and use them for small tips (not the steward at end of cruise).  It's novel for the crew members but I have to make sure they understand that the coin is a dollar and not a quarter.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 2:10 PM, Speedbird01 said:

is that 'Medallion' thing as good as the videos say it is? get food and drink wherever you are? seems too good to be true to a cynical old fool like me.

Any simple guides will be appreciated though (yes, i've seen another thread with 146 pages covering the Medallion subject but, life's too short)

Thank you for any help.

This video really does a good job of explaining the Medallion experience without going through 146 pages!  It's 12 minutes long.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 4:47 PM, D. B. said:

The only thing Free on a cruise ship is the Air. They do Clean and Filter that in the inside spaces and have not figured out how to Charge for it. Yet.

Everything else is "Included in your Fare"

As my ditzy  sister in law once said "Oh Look! They have Free Ice Cream!"................

You are correct. I try (and frequently fail) to remember to say "included" rather than "free".

On 8/4/2022 at 7:17 AM, wowzz said:

You haven't said if you have purchased the Princess Plus package. 

If you haven't,  I seriously recommend that you do so.

This has to be bought in advance.

IF you drink, it CAN be a good option. I don't drink at all...can't stand the taste of any alcohol (unless you hide it in an ice cream concoction). DH usually had one Dirty Banana on short cruises and on long cruises 2 or 3.

We usually trade our mini-bar for water (to take home) or 2 coffee cards. Sometimes, we'll bring it home for our alcoholic (no joke) neighbors.

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I like to get $1 coins before the cruise and use them for small tips (not the steward at end of cruise).  It's novel for the crew members but I have to make sure they understand that the coin is a dollar and not a quarter.

I knew someone who liked to give $2 bills. The crew thought it was "funny money". So he stopped doing it. The explanation was a PITA.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

That's fine if they're going to be in the US - not otherwise. It can be difficult to change coins into another currency. A lot of currency exchange places will only change bills. This can be more of a problem when tipping in euros, since the smallest bill is five euros.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 4:59 PM, Cruise Raider said:

It is definitely per pizza.  Well worth it if you like pizza.  One pizza will easily feed two people.  

Or just me but skipping salad (always order dessert). I think they're about a medium size at most pizzerias.  

On 8/3/2022 at 6:30 PM, Thrak said:

alcoholic beverages showed a cost

I seem to recall many wines & pina colada under $10. 

On 8/4/2022 at 6:46 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

You can request for the used dishes to be picked up on the TV (didn't check for that on the app). They come surprisingly fast.

I just put it in the app, leave it on my table, and someone gets it. If requesting more masks that came within 5 minutes 

On 8/3/2022 at 11:10 AM, Speedbird01 said:

and is that 'Medallion' thing as good as the videos say it is? get food and drink wherever you are?

Yes. But it'll take up to 30 minutes to get anything EX key lime pie. That can take an hour. 

If you're eligible for tea service (Elite & Suite) it is no charge however must be ordered on the phone in the morning. It is entered / tracked separately from other requests

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ombud said:

Yes. But it'll take up to 30 minutes to get anything EX key lime pie. That can take an hour. 

I always ordered mine just as we sat down to lunch. It arrived just about at the right time for dessert. 

If they would have it available in the dessert section we wouldn't have bothered them for a special delivery. 

3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I always ordered mine just as we sat down to lunch. It arrived just about at the right time for dessert. 

If they would have it available in the dessert section we wouldn't have bothered them for a special delivery. 

You get it delivered to MDR?? I hadn't thought about that but interesting idea

25 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I though about doing just that but they don't do delivery to the DR's.

I suppose I could have ordered it brought to the cabin and carried it to the DR with me. 😆

17 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

46 minutes ago, Ombud said:
50 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I though about doing just that but they don't do delivery to the DR's.

I suppose I could have ordered it brought to the cabin and carried it to the DR with me. 😆

Let me try 1 more time as I'm back onboard in about 3 weeks: it can be ordered as (you) sit down for lunch for a "special delivery" .... so you have had it delivered to the MDR??