First Night Specialty Dining

PumpkinPatches

I'll be taking my first cruise as a suite guest in January 2023 (Crown Princess), and I see that I'll get to enjoy specialty dining on the first night.

My question is: would you choose Crown Grill or Sabatini's?

It's been 11 years since I've cruised with Princess so I can't remember what these restaurants are like.  I know Crown Grill's upcharge is a few $ more than Sabatini's, but based on food/service/overall experience, which restaurant is your choice?

Appreciate all the feedback!  TIA :)

3 minutes ago, PumpkinPatches said:

I'll be taking my first cruise as a suite guest in January 2023 (Crown Princess), and I see that I'll get to enjoy specialty dining on the first night.

My question is: would you choose Crown Grill or Sabatini's?

It's been 11 years since I've cruised with Princess so I can't remember what these restaurants are like.  I know Crown Grill's upcharge is a few $ more than Sabatini's, but based on food/service/overall experience, which restaurant is your choice?

Appreciate all the feedback!  TIA 🙂

I've never had dinner in Sabatini's, only breakfast. I always look at the dinner menu for both Sabatini's and Crown Grill, and I always end up choosing Crown Grill because the menu just looks better to me. Love the lamb chops.

Never eaten at Sabatini's but, on our cruise in May on Royal Princess, Sabatini's wasn't open at all. You may find this to be the case if Princess is still understaffed. As for a preference, both venues have their devotees. It's a personal preference. If Sabatini's is open you will have your Suite breakfast there. (If not they will offer another venue.) The Suite breakfast is a perk that seems to be a favorite of those who are able to sail in this class of cabin.

Edit: As far as I know the cover charge is the same for both venues.

Edited by Thrak

I have always chosen the Crown Grill for my embarkation dinner.  Agree with @Sea Hag, the lamb chops are outstanding (so is the black and blue onion soup).  My TA sometimes gifts me Specialty Restaurant Certificates.  I have used them ($29 credit) for Sabatini's ($25).  I was pleasantly surprised that Sabatini's was better than I had expected.  Very different experiences.  But I still prefer the Crown Grill.

Enjoy your suite breakfasts.  Get to know your wait staff.  If one happens to be at Sabatini's at night, he/she will make all the difference in your Sabatini's experience.

• Like 1

I openly admit the following is going to be entirely ship and crewing level dependent, but we sailed the Ruby Princess in January (2022) and had dinner in both the Crown Grill and Sabatini's.

Our experience with the Crown Grill was the worst dining experience we have ever had with Princess. Even though we had paid the cover charge, service was so bad that we left before desert, we didn't want to extend that experience anymore.

In contrast Sabatini's was EXCELLENT! The staff were attentive, polite, looking to improve your experience at every opportunity.

I put this down to the crew being short-handed and Crown Grill being way more patronized than Sabatini's, which lead to the CG staff being exhausted and frustrated. Sabatini's was so good that we went again on a later night.

I don't know if staffing situations have changed significantly, but if you see things you like on the Sabatini's menu I would recommend you try the less stressed staff you are likely to find.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

Never eaten at Sabatini's but, on our cruise in May on Royal Princess, Sabatini's wasn't open at all. You may find this to be the case if Princess is still understaffed. As for a preference, both venues have their devotees. It's a personal preference. If Sabatini's is open you will have your Suite breakfast there. (If not they will offer another venue.) The Suite breakfast is a perk that seems to be a favorite of those who are able to sail in this class of cabin.

Edit: As far as I know the cover charge is the same for both venues.

I certainly agree there are devotees for both SR's and the OP is just going to get that feedback.  My suggestion to @PumpkinPatches is to take the free night in the CG and then book another night in Sabi's that they will pay for.  This way, they try both for a great overall price and they can decide what to do in future. 

Why did I suggest it this way?  Well, and this does speak to your "Edit" line, the CG cover charge is $29/pp and Sabi's cover charge is $25/pp.

• Like 2

Since I don't eat meat and only had the seafood at Crown Grill, I was not at all impressed.  Perhaps it is different if you are a meat eater, but I would always choose Sabatinis.  And while the menu may not list desserts, I know they are served.  It's been awhile and the menu has changed since I last ate there, but I would be shocked if there wasn't something.  

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You can wait until on board or pre-book using DMW.

I just pulled up my Medallion app to book a table, and it's trying to charge me the full price.  I just did the online chat with Princess, and the complimentary suite SD reservations can only be made once onboard.

19 hours ago, nzOdy said:

I openly admit the following is going to be entirely ship and crewing level dependent, but we sailed the Ruby Princess in January (2022) and had dinner in both the Crown Grill and Sabatini's.

Our experience with the Crown Grill was the worst dining experience we have ever had with Princess. Even though we had paid the cover charge, service was so bad that we left before desert, we didn't want to extend that experience anymore.

In contrast Sabatini's was EXCELLENT! The staff were attentive, polite, looking to improve your experience at every opportunity.

I put this down to the crew being short-handed and Crown Grill being way more patronized than Sabatini's, which lead to the CG staff being exhausted and frustrated. Sabatini's was so good that we went again on a later night.

I don't know if staffing situations have changed significantly, but if you see things you like on the Sabatini's menu I would recommend you try the less stressed staff you are likely to find.

Well we had dinner on the Ruby in the Crown Grill in January too, took 10 day cruise to Mexico.  We actually eat there 4 times, every time was excellent.  We don't do Italian so can't speak to Sabatini's.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jilliebean28 said:

We used to be die hard Crown Grill lovers but after the newer menu in Sabatini's we would eat there every night of our cruise.  Don't get me wrong.....both are really good but we LOVE Sabatini's!

Different strokes for different folks. We found it unappetizing in the extreme. We didn't complain, but they must have noticed all the uneaten food, because we weren't charged.

48 minutes ago, PumpkinPatches said:

I just pulled up my Medallion app to book a table, and it's trying to charge me the full price.  I just did the online chat with Princess, and the complimentary suite SD reservations can only be made once onboard.

We booked our first night at crown grill for our November cruise and did not pay.  It recognised we are in a suite.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, PumpkinPatches said:

10 minutes ago, Mara4166 said:

We booked our first night at crown grill for our November cruise and did not pay.  It recognised we are in a suite.

I booked first night Crown Grill on two upcoming cruises and did not pay for either one. On one of the cruises, I also had free specialty dinner from a promotion, and I booked two nights without being charged.

• Like 1

We generally have multiple dinners in the specialty restaurants on every cruise.  @nzOdy is exactly correct when he stated that the experience can vary.  I have stated many times that the experience in the specialty restaurants depends on the management of the room for any specific cruise.  The dishes coming out of the galley are pretty consistent.  However, the attention to detail in the front of the room is completely dependent on the headwaiter.  If the headwaiter is engaged, greeting diners, assisting workers, looking for and remedying service deficiencies, then the room will be well-run, and the diners will enjoy an excellent experience.  Unfortunately, I have had specialty dining experience in which the headwaiter is unengaged.  He is not wandering around the room, he is not chatting with diners--I don't know where he is.  It doesn't take long for the service staff to conclude that he does not care.  If he doesn't care, why should they?  I haven't had an experience as bad as was reported above and left the room without finishing my meal, but I can say that I have had some subpar experiences.

Somebody posted a link to the specialty restaurant menus. I think the OP's decision should come down to which menu looks most attractive.

And I also have to second @Steelers36's recommendation,  Pick either one for your embarkation day dinner, and book the other one for a subsequent evening,

Have a great cruise, @PumpkinPatches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PumpkinPatches said:

<deleted>.... looks like a MC App or DMW bug has got you.

Edited by Steelers36

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Different strokes for different folks. We found it unappetizing in the extreme. We didn't complain, but they must have noticed all the uneaten food, because we weren't charged.

You are right, food is subject.  May depend on what is ordered.  I did notice one night I ordered a rib steak that was thinner than I expected but more food than I wanted so enjoyed it.  I really like the sea bass and always order it.