The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 10th, 2022

richwmn

I think our rain may have ended, but it is still very cloudy and there is still thunder, so we may get more rain.  As of now, we've gotten about 1/2 inch.  Right after the rain ended, it was nive and cool ourside with low humidity.  it  is 79F now, but the humidity is back.

32 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Hi friends! I've had a few busy days because my son is moving the remainder of his stuff into my house on Saturday, so there's been a flurry of activity trying to make space for it!

I like the days - the only time I ate smores was on Girl Scout camping trips, and they were delicious 

! we also made dinner packets that we cooked in the campfires. Good times!

Prayers for everyone in harm's way around the world. Wouldn't it be lovely if we all could live in peace?

A little sad today because I got word that a member of my church -- a 99-year-old veteran of WWII -- died this morning. We just sang Happy Birthday for him a few weeks ago and he said he hoped to make it to 100. RIP Loren!

I've started getting  some surprising emails lately connected to my long-since-cancelled cruise on the Volendam that would have happened later this month. I've gotten notices from the airlines (Icelandic and Delta) reminding me of the reservations and protocols! I made the arrangements through Flight Ease, so shouldn't they have notified the airlines that the trip was cancelled? Do I have any liability if they didn't? I wouldn't think so, but...?

Stay well & safe everyone!

Edi, I think I would call your PCC or Flight Ease. just tp ,ale sire they did cancel the flights.

13 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I've heard the term for s'mores, but usually it denotes oysters wrapped in bacon.

I've never hear smores used for anything but the chocolate, marshmallow, graham cracker treat.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2016 Northwest Passage trip, using the Alaska ferry Kennicott to get to the start of the cruise.  On August 16 the Kenicott visited Yukatat.

Roy

I have a question for you since you did Adv OTS to New England.

If you visited more than one port in Canada, did you have to update ArriveCan?

I am exhausted trying to get any information on this particular process?

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

OK, another dumb question....  @AV8rix what is ISP? in place of Skagway?

You know that there are no dumb questions on this thread, right?😄

ISP is Icy Strait Point, a really great stop on Alaska itineraries.  It is actually owned by the Tlingit tribe, who live in the village of Hoonah on the island.  You're practically GUARANTEED to see whales bubble-feeding there.  Really great hikes in their lovely forest.  Hoonah village is quite interesting.  And there are a few OUTDOOR places to eat (I'll be tryin' to stay healthy on these cruises 'cause I have an IMPORTANT cruise coming up six weeks after I return home from Alaska).

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I had mentioned that I had been to Buenos Aires several times and that it was the gateway to Iguazu falls.  In 2017 I did one of my craziest combinations sailing Crystal Serenity Buenos Aires to Rio, flying back to BA (my only time ever on Emirates), and then 5 days later boarded Zaandam to San Diego.

In 2016 I had sailed Crystal Symphony Buenos Aires to Miami, and for the segment from Valparaizo to Miami I met a lady who did not fly.  She had sailed QM2 New York to Rio, toured South America and returned on Symphony, and she described the bus system to me.  The buses in Brazil have luxury sections that are very much like business class on airplanes including flat beds and onboard meals.  I was interested and found a tour from Buenos Aires to Iguazu using the buses and it was a good fit for my time between Serenity and Zaandam.  I boarded the bus:

mybus.jpg

in the evening (the sleeping seats were on the top deck) and when the time came the seat became a bed:

busnight.jpg

We arrived in Iguazu the next day and toured the Brazilian side of the falls the following day:

diablo2.jpg

1ststmartin.jpg

argentinatrail.jpg

bythefalls1.jpg

Roy

Love  the  photos

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I have a question for you since you did Adv OTS to New England.

If you visited more than one port in Canada, did you have to update ArriveCan?

I am exhausted trying to get any information on this particular process?

I did not visit  multiple Canadian ports either on Adventure of the Seas or Queen Mary 2.  I am pretty sure though if you did it would be just one ArriveCan and it would be for the first Canadian port.

What is your itinerary?

Roy

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I did not visit  multiple Canadian ports either on Adventure of the Seas or Queen Mary 2.  I am pretty sure though if you did it would be just one ArriveCan and it would be for the first Canadian port.

What is your itinerary?

Roy

St Johns and then Sydney.  So two ports in all.

Now someone on another thread said it is only the first port.  So, I am happy if this is true.

Otherwise, I guess the cruise director would have to go on speaker and remind everyone to do their 2nd ArriveCan..  So, I guess your answer and the other one is most likely true. 

toodles.  Oh, and I get to do ArriveCan in 3 weeks for my Quantum on the 29th of August.   Not sure if I will even get off in Victoria for pm stop.  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

St Johns and then Sydney.  So two ports in all.

Now someone on another thread said it is only the first port.  So, I am happy if this is true.

Otherwise, I guess the cruise director would have to go on speaker and remind everyone to do their 2nd ArriveCan..  So, I guess your answer and the other one is most likely true. 

toodles.  Oh, and I get to do ArriveCan in 3 weeks for my Quantum on the 29th of August.   Not sure if I will even get off in Victoria for pm stop.  

I highly recommend the online version of ArriveCan over the app.  You will need to do it even if you do not get off the ship.  I will also suggest that you start now so you have less to do when the time comes.  Start by creating your account.  If you do the online version start here:

https://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/en/auth

I'm pretty sure you will need to upload your vaccination status as one of the first steps.  Your final submission will be based not on the date you enter Canada but the day you board the ship.

It looks like you can start the trip submission 4 days before you board the ship. 

Select:

Reason for entry: Discretionary

Method of entry: Marine

Port of Entry Ogden Port Pier A&B

or

Saint John Marine Terminal

I think the rest SHOULD be fairly easy.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon All,

We currently have 95F out, and heading towards a hot weekend. Just did a number of errands, across a couple of counties, and now plan to sit down and sew.

I jammed my sewing machine (again) yesterday, and had to go in for what I thought was going to be a repair. It turned out to be for a lesson on threading the disc. They are just very different, and a bit persnickety to thread. And I got signed up for an operators class in October. 😁I did the online one, but of course, the teacher didn’t see how I was holding the thread ( like for any older machine.), so I’ve been repeating the same maneuver and having an issue about 20% of the time. 🤨 I bought the machine during the early weeks of the strictest part of lockdown for Covid, so no demonstration was allowed. It was a newly released model, and few YouTube videos were available at that time. When lockdown eased, I did get the “sales” demonstration, so that helped. 

( In fact, we completed the transaction in the ALLEY behind the shop (because “Essential” work had the front parking lot torn up, and only “essential” businesses were allowed to provide essential services or sell essential things. The Marshals Office was enforcing it.). I put my credit card and trade in machine on the folding table, and stepped away. The shop owner picked it up and brought out my new machine, placed it on the table, and stepped away. I then walked up to the table and carried off my new machine. This, for a $5K+ floor model machine.  It turned out the power pack and foot pedal were forgotten, so the owner and I met in a parking lot🫣 in a less strict jurisdiction where we both JUST HAPPENED to be, and I got the missing pieces.) That’s an absolutely true story.

So it’s been a productive day: Lab appointment for Dad, podiatrist for a shot in the foot, sewing machine dealer, drop off at upholstery store, market. I’m ready to put my foot up and sew a bit.

I only have pictures from BsAs from my 2018 cruise on Zaandam to contribute. It was primarily for Iguazu Falls, but I added on the cruise. 

C1ADC720-2A9F-45AD-B555-711CC2495645.thumb.jpeg.d77df69dacc9f1b3c5adb58266a1e126.jpeg

F634E410-A6B6-4AE4-B21A-49090A5E4B13.thumb.jpeg.9b0edec34cc22a58709887d4367f4422.jpeg

The not so lovely container dock where we were tied up.

9F2E4970-9B83-4143-B827-CA3A2C73C716.thumb.jpeg.d393fbe7878dce89121538f1a2d6aa59.jpeg

From a shorex to the Rio Delta 

81F89BC0-759C-4F56-9A81-40BA023C04FA.thumb.jpeg.1035c844efa34d979c474f404429faf3.jpeg

Galleria Pacifico Mall, near my hotel 

C21DAC55-DE09-4252-918D-26EC9004BF49.thumb.jpeg.6346c52bdc34bb3419460bcc231ac942.jpeg

Parrilla, ordered by a guy sitting near me. It was his first day in BsAs, on a business trip from the US. He didn’t “habla” and it was pretty obvious he didn’t understand what the waiter said when ordered. So I asked him if he wanted me to translate what the waiter had told him he ordered. Yep. Sausage(chorizo), blood sausage, kidneys, I think it was heart and tripe. His expression changed a bit, but he decided to  stick with the order, and he ate it. 

E2BD35CB-C5AB-4F80-A51A-168637FA8A3D.thumb.jpeg.ceb4f57e066e6b23f61e34753d6ea226.jpeg

My choice for dinner.

5A017E92-D4F0-438F-A90E-B6086D53E670.thumb.jpeg.7b9d350d282cef9706094b4abe37edd4.jpeg

Mate ( pronounce as (“maah  tay”) gourds. I bought one of these gems.

D3C353E4-D7CB-4695-B7CE-553B5EB03C43.thumb.jpeg.3d953fe46655bbc165e516d20dba7953.jpeg

helados.  In the US we know it as gelato. This started my hobby of making gelato and my love affair with the stuff.  

Flight to Iguazu 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 6

Big doings are about to go on nearby.

You may recall the bridge by me that fell last Jan 28. At first they said it might take a few years to reconstruct. But with some federal help, it's been progressing much faster and beams are  coming in from 90 miles away. They came already to the far side. Now it's my side's turn, and big carriers are going to back down the nearby parkway onramp and then back down the main road (one block over from me) for 1.5 miles to the bridge for the next 4 days. Lots of  temporary road closures. I'll be out there to watch the spectacle. They're hoping the bridge will be finished (except for some lights and other trim slowed by supply issues) by year's end.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

I've been thinking a lot today about plans and preparation for the Denmark-Norway cruise at the end of this month, but what I should be thinking about is a trip to Cooperstown this weekend for the Glimmerglass Festival. The weather has cooled significantly, so it probably won't be blazing hot in the opera house -- no A/C -- as it usually is, although one year it was uncomfortably cold -- no heat, either -- with ushers offering blankets to frail elderly people and many others rushing to the gift shop to by sweatshirts. That could happen this year, as it will be 49° overnight on Friday.

I'm staying longer than usual this time, so most days I'll only be attending one performance and will be able to have dinner in a couple of restaurants. That's difficult when attending two performances. The repertoire this year is Carmen, Tenor Overboard  (a new take on Rossini), Taking Up Serpents and Holy Ground (two new, short operas), The Sound of Music, and The Passion of Mary Cardwell Dawson, about the founder of the National Negro Opera Company. It's a 900-seat theater, with all seats less than 70 feet from the stage.

Cooperstown itself is a small village, the county seat of a mostly rural county, that has a lot of tourism, although the greater part of it consists of visitors to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Thus, there are quite a few pizza and spaghetti joints, plus some good restaurants, an art museum (historically it was a rather wealthy village) and a farm museum that is interesting to visit (once). From where I live it's a drive of about 2.5 hours.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I don’’t know why I am so late every day.  I really start in the morning but don’t get very far.

I have not been sleeping well and I am very tired.  Going to bed soon.

Thank you for the Fleet Report and Daily to Rich and for the Cares and Celebration list to Roy.

I guess that I ended up being lazy all day.  I don’t care for s’mores and I guess Lions are okay.

I like the quote.  

We went to Buenos Aires in March 2012 prior to boarding the Veendam for the repositioning cruise to New York.  I think that was the best cruise we ever took.  

We spent a few days in BA and also flew to Iguazzu Falls for 2 days. 

Prayers for all that need them and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Tried to post some photos but they only come out black.  Probably too large.  I know they were taken with my DSLR.  

Hope everyone has a good evening.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 14

14 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites. A beautiful morning warming to 100 today.

We got an alert yesterday that our neighbor down the street had a lawn fire in her backyard. The neighbor behind her called 911 and firetruck was there in minutes. The fireman said he's sure the fire was caused by her glass windchimes on her patio. 

It’s late to post, but yes about the wind chimes.  We had family friends lose their home because of ornamental glass grapes on a coffee table.  No joke.

Also, in 2016 we were down in Buenos Aires on Zaandam.  Fascinating part of the world — really different.  I have photos much like those already posted.  Lots of Eva Peron stuff.  And the dog walkers!

Have a restful night, all.  Almost full moon.  🌝 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Well I guess I fit into lazy day since I’m behind today, but I did get my laundry done and enjoyed some pool time and we had excellent grilled lamb chops.  Costco has excellent thick lamb chops. 

I hope everyone had a great day. I still need to read the Daily but do thank everyone for sharing. I probably will be late tomorrow due to my regular hair appointment. See you all later!

69FC7E20-59B8-4824-ACEF-FF4E71CECABE.jpeg.2e8e9d92bed7e51db76240d7db9564dc.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

9 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Well I guess I fit into lazy day since I’m behind today, but I did get my laundry done and enjoyed some pool time and we had excellent grilled lamb chops.  Costco has excellent thick lamb chops. 

I hope everyone had a great day. I still need to read the Daily but do thank everyone for sharing. I probably will be late tomorrow due to my regular hair appointment. See you all later!

@Sharon in AZ   Absolutely LOVE the lamb chops at Costco. And the racks of lamb too!! One or the other are frequently on the Date Night Menu here!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 6:08 PM, rafinmd said:

I highly recommend the online version of ArriveCan over the app.  You will need to do it even if you do not get off the ship.  I will also suggest that you start now so you have less to do when the time comes.  Start by creating your account.  If you do the online version start here:

https://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/en/auth

I'm pretty sure you will need to upload your vaccination status as one of the first steps.  Your final submission will be based not on the date you enter Canada but the day you board the ship.

I think the rest SHOULD be fairly easy.

Roy

thanks I did start the process on the app.

now wondering if it can do the last part on line and then print.   However, my windows 11 security says the online site is not secure either.