Most dangerous cruise ports?

mandwcruise

Port safety  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How concerned are you with safety when picking ports?

• Very concerned
    • Somewhat concerned
    • Never concerned
  2. 2. Have you, or someone you know personally, ever been a victim of violent crime (e.g. armed robbery, sexual assault) in a cruise port?

3. 3. Your daughter wants to travel alone. Which port is the one that worries you the most?

• Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
    • Casablanca, Morroco
    • Roatan, Honduras
    • Manila, Philippines
    • Haifa, Israel
    • Something not listed, which I will comment on

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I understand your well stated point. But I think you miss the point of the victim's viewpoint. That person who had their property stolen in Ocean Beach isn't going to shrug it off because of a stat.  

While true, I also think that a sense of perspective is what some of us are trying to get across, however clumsy it may appear.

The large majority of us will never be victims of these crimes as travelers in various destinations, and I think that unless one keeps the risks in proportion one can end up passing by some of the most interesting and compelling destinations in the world.

There are any number of activities we engage in regularly that have a much higher risk of leading to injury or death than does travel in most destinations.  But we tend to minimize the dangers of the "known" and exaggerate those of the "unknown".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

While true, I also think that a sense of perspective is what some of us are trying to get across, however clumsy it may appear.

The large majority of us will never be victims of these crimes as travelers in various destinations, and I think that unless one keeps the risks in proportion one can end up passing by some of the most interesting and compelling destinations in the world.

There are any number of activities we engage in regularly that have a much higher risk of leading to injury or death than does travel in most destinations.  But we tend to minimize the dangers of the "known" and exaggerate those of the "unknown".

Well said and I can only agree.  As long as the perspective given is to be aware of the dangers, as opposed to don't worry the odds are on your side.   

I believe that any port can be dangerous if you do not use some common sense, exercise basic caution, and maintain an awareness of your surroundings.

Thieves are present in all ports.  They  prey on  the 'easy targets'.  

The trick is not to make yourself an easy target by your dress, your actions, or your inattentiveness, etc.

If you think that this cannot happen where you happen to live you are fooling yourself into a false sense of security.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Once had a stop in Belize.  The guard at the exit to the port suggested that I do not wander pass the port area because it is not safe.  The port was completely walled ( except for the waterside obviously) and there were shops and restaurants inside the compound).  I ended up taking a shore excursion instead of on my own exploration.  Also, I don't get off the ship in Mexico any longer.  The last time we went to Acapulco, there were Police riding around in the beds of pick up truck with machine guns ready.  kind of takes the fun out of things.  

• Like 5

Have not had an issue thus far, but the one cruise port where we will not exist the cruise port area is Falmouth, Jamaica. Once you leave the gates of that port, it really does feel dangerous. I didn't even feel comfortable on the cruise based excursion. That's a Ship Day for us when it's on the itinerary. 

On 8/14/2022 at 4:01 AM, sverigecruiser said:

Very few places are dangerous during daytime.

I'd say you're not in danger of violent crime in most places during the daytime. 

But pickpocketing can definitely happen during the day.  

On 9/5/2022 at 2:59 PM, iancal said:

There is one issue with that.....you cannot fix stupid!

Eh, you can fix stupid -- when stupid recognizes itself for what it is AND wants to change.  But those stars don't align often.  

On 9/6/2022 at 2:18 PM, richstowe said:

Surprised Jamaica hasn't been mentioned . VERY aggressive sales tactics there .

Yes, we practiced with our kids when they were small -- hands in pockets, eyes down, let Mom and Dad guide you.  One woman yelled at me, "Why you shame me like this?"  Never was real clear on what that meant.  

Thing is, I get why they behave that way.  Those people have limited opportunities, and they'll do anything to support their families.  If you'd been born into their circumstances, what wouldn't you do to take care of your kids?  

On 9/25/2022 at 5:46 PM, WheresWalter said:

Have not had an issue thus far, but the one cruise port where we will not exist the cruise port area is Falmouth, Jamaica. Once you leave the gates of that port, it really does feel dangerous. I didn't even feel comfortable on the cruise based excursion. That's a Ship Day for us when it's on the itinerary. 

Plus there's just nothing much of interest in Falmouth.  

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 9:49 PM, Mary229 said:

Danger can also be measured in assistance received after the incident.  If you are hurried away to a proper medical facility and the ship contacted the result will be less traumatic. 

I suppose ports without proper medical facilities have a special danger - in addition to the harm suffered in “the incident”.  But I do not think lack of good medical treatment facilities is the sort of danger  OP  was contemplating.  Perhaps increased chance of earthquake, volcanic eruption, etc. should also be considered.

6 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

One woman yelled at me, "Why you shame me like this?"  Never was real clear on what that meant.

I have heard comments on rare occasions and simply ignore them like I didn't hear them.  

As to the one you heard, I would guess that she was offended by thinking that you were not noticing her.  

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I suppose ports without proper medical facilities have a special danger - in addition to the harm suffered in “the incident”.  But I do not think lack of good medical treatment facilities is the sort of danger  OP  was contemplating.  Perhaps increased chance of earthquake, volcanic eruption, etc. should also be considered.

I was thinking more along the line of police assistance which is not always available or perhaps, worse, part of the problem. 

On 9/14/2022 at 12:54 PM, iancal said:

I believe that any port can be dangerous if you do not use some common sense, exercise basic caution, and maintain an awareness of your surroundings.

Thieves are present in all ports.  They  prey on  the 'easy targets'.  

it’s been said before on other threads but this is also true in your home country (ie Canada or USA)

12 hours ago, Mary229 said:

US ports were included in this discussion.

I understand but I’m certain that most are commenting about Caribbean ports, not US Ports.

It needed to be said

However my main comment was not about danger at US ports if you stray into the wrong areas but any major city 

Edited by Cruise till you drop

I think much of danger is being a single lady traveling by herself They hesitate to bother  a lady with a big guy. .Especially in Europe an Mexico.                                                                                                                                  Alone , I have been groped, had hands in my front and back pockets .With waist and/or neck wallets they leave me alone.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:00 PM, 9tee2Sea said:

Once had a stop in Belize.  The guard at the exit to the port suggested that I do not wander pass the port area because it is not safe.  The port was completely walled ( except for the waterside obviously) and there were shops and restaurants inside the compound).  I ended up taking a shore excursion instead of on my own exploration.  

My husband just mentioned that Belize is listed on the State Department's "think twice about going" website.  

Did you feel comfortable taking a shore excursion?  We're looking at cave tubing with Butts Up, which seems to be a pretty big enterprise.  Thanks for any info you can share.

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

My husband just mentioned that Belize is listed on the State Department's "think twice about going" website.  

Did you feel comfortable taking a shore excursion?  We're looking at cave tubing with Butts Up, which seems to be a pretty big enterprise.  Thanks for any info you can share.

We did an excursion to Lamanai to explore Mayan ruins and felt very safe.

• Like 1

most definitely Colon, Panama.  We took an excursion to see the locks from the land side (very interesting), and the driver threw in a free drive through the city.  It was the most dirty and grim place I've ever seen.  I would never walk outside the port area there. And we tend to wander around the cruise port areas most everywhere.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, kristapb said:

most definitely Colon, Panama.  We took an excursion to see the locks from the land side (very interesting), and the driver threw in a free drive through the city.  It was the most dirty and grim place I've ever seen.  I would never walk outside the port area there. And we tend to wander around the cruise port areas most everywhere.

My son-in-law was stationed with the Army in Panama and Colon was OFF LIMITS to all military personnel

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 10:09 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

I wouldn't worry too much about the cave tubing.  It's probably their biggest excursion and there will be a lot of people there.  It's a long ride to the site, so it's far outside of Belize City.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I wouldn't worry too much about the cave tubing.  It's probably their biggest excursion and there will be a lot of people there.  It's a long ride to the site, so it's far outside of Belize City.

Yes, those out of the city (like we did Lamanai) excursions should be safe. But the funny thing is I went to donate blood after that to the Red Cross and was not able to because we took that excursion outside of Belize City. If we had stayed in the port city, I believe I would not have been disqualified for a year.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, those out of the city (like we did Lamanai) excursions should be safe. But the funny thing is I went to donate blood after that to the Red Cross and was not able to because we took that excursion outside of Belize City. If we had stayed in the port city, I believe I would not have been disqualified for a year.

That's an interesting thought:  I do give blood regularly -- my whole family does, not only to be helpful but because we have a blood condition, and we need to shed iron on a regular basis.