Warning: Do Not leave credit on stateroom account!

NV-Joe

6 hours ago, Moondogy said:

I could be wrong (Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last) the only refundable

OBC I know of is military benefits. That would be 3 b2b 14 day cruises to have $750 OBC....but I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will be happy to tell me 🤣

OBC given by a TA and other non-Princess sources are usually refundable for example.

Dear OP,

Very sorry to hear about what’s happened to you regarding unused OBC. I’m wondering if perhaps your OBC is non-refundable, and that that is why you’ve not received a refund. Since you’ve indicated that you’ve not had OBC refunded before, maybe nobody was able to explain that there are two types of OBC, that which comes from a TA and that which comes from the cruiseline.   Travel agent OBC is usually refundable, but cruise line OBC is not always refundable.   

Weve had more OBC than we knew what to do with on other cruise lines and made it clear that we wanted to use the non refundable FIRST while onboard, but the system was already set up that way, so that whatever was remaining , ie, the refundable , was refunded immediately.   I’m so  has happened to you. $740 is a lot of credit.  

Please Ignore the snarky replies.  I think it is rude to state that newbies shouldn’t be allowed to post.  I understood what you meant by being elite. You weren’t bragging; you meant that you’re experienced as a Cruiser and had never experience This particular. situation.  Take care and good luck 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

Dear OP,

Very sorry to hear about what’s happened to you regarding unused OBC. I’m wondering if perhaps your OBC is non-refundable, and that that is why you’ve not received a refund. Since you’ve indicated that you’ve not had OBC refunded before, maybe nobody was able to explain that there are two types of OBC, that which comes from a TA and that which comes from the cruiseline.   Travel agent OBC is usually refundable, but cruise line OBC is not always refundable.   

Weve had more OBC than we knew what to do with on other cruise lines and made it clear that we wanted to use the non refundable FIRST while onboard, but the system was already set up that way, so that whatever was remaining , ie, the refundable , was refunded immediately.   I’m so  has happened to you. $740 is a lot of credit.  

Please Ignore the snarky replies.  I think it is rude to state that newbies shouldn’t be allowed to post.  I understood what you meant by being elite. You weren’t bragging; you meant that you’re experienced as a Cruiser and had never experience This particular. situation.  Take care and good luck 

Princess will always use up non-refundable OBC first. This is pretty standard on all US based cruise lines. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all that replied...

Yes it was refundable credit... 2 ports were cancelled... we had excusions booked that were cancelled (refundable) and port charges for the cancelled ports (refundable)  I verified with passenger services that the credit was indeed refundable.   I asked if it could be held as an FCC...they said no... I would have used the "magic method" had I known about it... I only recently learned of it.

While I agree with Don about customer service should be equal for all... in an ideal world that would be true.   But loyalty plans frequently have special numbers... and priority service for their best customers.  

We have lost our way on this post, however... my purpose was to warn newbies to CC (though I don't post much...I've been on CC for many years) a warning not to let Princess hold their money so as not to have my experience be repeated to them.

I feel I have done that.... and I won't make that mistake again.

Again thanks for the kind words.

Joe and Tammi

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, antsp said:

I had $950 of obc on the sky in March, every $ was taken of the ship in cash via the magic method. Why would anyone leave Princess to refund you 

I agree. Using the magic method I ended up with $2.00 more than the OBC. I generally only. use that method for the nonrefundable OBC. I don't mind waiting for the refundable, which hasn't ever taken longer than 4 months. Don't care to carry a lot of cash with me.

Edited by billco

6 hours ago, PTMary said:

I have contacted Princess three or four times in the last couple of months. I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes for my turn. Do people really experience waits of 3 hours? 

YES!!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, antsp said:

I had $950 of obc on the sky in March, every $ was taken of the ship in cash via the magic method. Why would anyone leave Princess to refund you 

Because nobody told me about the Magic method...until I got home... that's why.

Do you really need to Rub it in?

Joe

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

Dear OP,

Perhaps if the OP had asked for advice first instead of storming ahead with accusations, more of us would be more sympathetic.

Edited by PTMary

Just now, PTMary said:

Perhaps if the OP had asked for advice first instead of storming ahead with accusations, more of us would be more sympathetic.

I still don't believe they had to wait 3 hours, then 90 minutes the first time, then on another day, 2 hours, and yet another 2 hours on a later call. No one is that unlucky. 

FYI: I have never had to wait more than 15 minutes anytime I called princess, so that is what I am basing my comment on.  

PT Mary, I did not make accusations... I explained what happened.  

This matter cannot be resolved through 1800 Princess... it has to be resolved through business office number... and wait times are at least 90 minutes... I've called three times and had the call dropped 2 of the 3... I'm currently on hold for over 75 minutes so far.

I truly wish you the best PT Mary.

Joe

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, NV-Joe said:

PT Mary, I did not make accusations... I explained what happened.  

This matter cannot be resolved through 1800 Princess... it has to be resolved through business office number... and wait times are at least 90 minutes... I've called three times and had the call dropped 2 of the 3... I'm currently on hold for over 75 minutes so far.

I truly wish you the best PT Mary.

Joe

Sorry if I misunderstood. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, billco said:

I agree. Using the magic method I ended up with $2.00 more than the OBC. I generally only. use that method for the nonrefundable OBC. I don't mind waiting for the refundable, which hasn't ever taken longer than 4 months. Don't care to carry a lot of cash with me.

Billco,  thanks... that is the answer I was looking for... I have no problem waiting... since I was willing to have the credit put onto my December cruise anyway. All my money is refundable OBC.. so l wait now that I know 4 months is how long it takes.

All the best,

Joe and Tammi

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NV-Joe said:

Thanks to all that replied...

Yes it was refundable credit... 2 ports were cancelled... we had excusions booked that were cancelled (refundable) and port charges for the cancelled ports (refundable)  I verified with passenger services that the credit was indeed refundable.   I asked if it could be held as an FCC...they said no... I would have used the "magic method" had I known about it... I only recently learned of it.

While I agree with Don about customer service should be equal for all... in an ideal world that would be true.   But loyalty plans frequently have special numbers... and priority service for their best customers.  

We have lost our way on this post, however... my purpose was to warn newbies to CC (though I don't post much...I've been on CC for many years) a warning not to let Princess hold their money so as not to have my experience be repeated to them.

I feel I have done that.... and I won't make that mistake again.

Again thanks for the kind words.

Joe and Tammi

Since it was all refundable, it will show up eventually. Just hang in there and check everything that appears to be junk mail in a plain envelope!!

• Like 1

This doesn't sound so much like a can't-get-OBC-back problem as it is a business-office-not-getting-it-done problem and a why-am-I-on-hold-90-minutes problem.   That's Princess for you as of late, regardless of what your original problem was.  Don't be afraid to shop other cruise lines.

18 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Somehow Royal/Celebrity seem to be able to refund unused “refundable” onboard credit to clients CC on file within a reasonable time post cruise (usually less than 30 days). Princess outsources theirs to a third party company called paymode direct and it can take MONTHS (if ever) to get a paper check refund by snail mail.  I don’t read these complaints for other CCL brands so not sure why Princess seems such an outlier. 

my cruise ended may 8 on royal. this is on my CC statement may 9. one day on my cc for the refund, now thats service! 

May 8
May 9
OASIS OF THE SEASMIAMIFL
- $359.34

12 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Since it was all refundable, it will show up eventually. Just hang in there and check everything that appears to be junk mail in a plain envelope!!

Not necessarily. It took multiple telephone calls, live chat, 2 long letters to Princess with all the appropriate attachments and 5 months before I received my refundable OBC. You may have stay on the case or be a donator.

If it is a simple process to charge every stateroom account registered CC for any balance due upon checkout (and it is), then it is equally simple to post a credit amount to the registered CC on stateroom account.  For some reason, Princess has a convoluted process to refund customers and they must have determined it saves them a certain amount of money at the expense of a happy guest.  Not sure how that equation works out over time.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NV-Joe said:

I felt bad about the frustration you were experiencing until I got to the part of your initial post where you inferred that persons who are not 'Elite' should get this type of treatment, but not you.  That was where you lost me and many others.  Your subsequent post (quoted above) cemented my feelings that my sympathy is better directed elsewhere.  Your attitude is similar to the person who donates a whopping $5.00 to the local police charity and then expects preferred treatment when they are pulled over for an infraction.  We are all the same, no matter how exalted one thinks they are.  😒

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2