Covid positive but Asymptotic

Scotico

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

I agree.

Also I would cancel because I was miserable when (in my case ) the symptoms did show up after two  days of testing positive. Besides not exposing others, I would not enjoy a cruise like that either. When I am sick I want to be in my home and I want my bed and my pillow and my blankie.

image.jpeg.25338f69d9644da55d60f796ca635084.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

For the last two years I’ve been glued to cruise critic to get information about cruising and Covid. We have been on nine cruises since last October. Originally Royal had very strict protocols which I was in favor of which included reduced capacity, wearing a mask, vaccination requirements, and the crew serving at the buffet. People started to complain, I don’t want to be told to get a vaccine, I don’t want to wear a mask, let me on a crammed elevator and so on. Royal began to loosen protocols to a point that we can now jump on a ship without testing, not wear a mask and finally no one can force you to get a vaccine. Yes. Royal and the cruise industry has finally listened. Yes everyone hop on. Now a person states “So curious. If you tested positive for Covid 2-3 days before cruise and was vaccinated, would you still cruise?“. Why not. Hop on. The people arguing against all Covid protocols have been saying “you be responsible for you”. You’re not vaccinated, that’s YOUR problem. Get onboard! 

9 minutes ago, broberts said:

Are one way rentals possible across an international border?

yes...........did Vancouver to Portland, Or............no problem. Rented the car right at the Port where the cruise ship docks  (Canada Place car Rental)

Edited by Jimbo
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Scotico said:

So curious. If you tested positive for Covid 2-3 days before cruise and was vaccinated, would you still cruise? Since  you do not need to test if you are vaccinated, I suspect many would just cruise so they are not out any $$. 

I would cruise.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, broberts said:

Are one way rentals possible across an international border?

Yes. We drove a one way rental from NJ to Quebec City when taking a cruise from Quebec to NJ.  It was way cheaper than one way flights for 4, plus we could bring tons of luggage.

As to the original question, no, i would not cruise if we tested positive for covid. Or if we had a cold or flu, for that matter. We have tons of home tests and still test before large gatherings. To me, it's common courtesy. I don't want to get anyone else sick. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ravensfan1973 said:

I would cruise.  

Why am I not surprised? 🙄  I wonder how you would feel about going if you turned out to be sick as a dog and in quarantine? 👍🏼

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

No cars available from Vancouver airport, plenty available from downtown Vancouver. 

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise. We had planned to take the Quick Shuttle bus from Vancouver to Seattle after disembarking. However, we discovered that morning that the bus had been cancelled. We had a bit of a scramble, but we decided to go to the airport where we walked up to the first rental car place we found without a long line (Thrifty) and we got a one-way car rental to Seattle for about $260. Maybe we were just lucky, but apparently one-way rentals do exist.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

You are lucky you did so well. There are hundreds in excess of usual dying each week from Covid on the US. 10% of all those who get Covid end up with long Covid. In my 40 years working in a hospital, I've never had a patient die of a cold. 

MommaBear55.....I have a close relative who is an ICU nurse.  She shares with me anecdotally that for months the majority of her Covid patients are the unvaxxed and those with underlying conditions such as obesity and other health issues.

Weare all strong believers in vaccinations and as world travelers we have had just about every vaccination known.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Thank you for your dedication you bring to your profession everyday.

Sorry to say there are still a lot of people on this board and in this country that only care about themselves and say the heck with everyone else. It's very sad.

I care about myself and keep myself vaxxed and boosted. I wear a mask when required.  I also take care to sanitize my hands after touching common-use surfaces before touching my food, I wipe down areas I'm likely to touch on an airplane, and I wipe down touchable surfaces in hotel rooms and cruise cabins - especially the remote.  In other words, I take responsibility for my own well-being and don't depend on the actions of others to keep me from catching diseases.

People who virtue signal by expecting others to take certain actions will be constantly disappointed.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck Cruiser said:

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise. We had planned to take the Quick Shuttle bus from Vancouver to Seattle after disembarking. However, we discovered that morning that the bus had been cancelled. We had a bit of a scramble, but we decided to go to the airport where we walked up to the first rental car place we found without a long line (Thrifty) and we got a one-way car rental to Seattle for about $260. Maybe we were just lucky, but apparently one-way rentals do exist.

This is interesting for sure (and good to know). We are cruising in 2 weeks and will be ending in Vancouver and going to Seattle as well.  We currently have flights booked but the wife hates to fly and the flight is on a prop plane so she is freaking out even more about it.  I haven't been able to find a rental car I can book now anywhere.  Guess I need to decide if we should "gamble" and just go to the airport to rent a car anyway.  At least it sounds possible.

I would also cruise.

I don’t think any of us wants to get anyone else ill.  But I’ve been ill on vacations and cruises before and I did my best to stay away from other people and wash my hands a lot. It’s possible I got somebody else ill, but I tried to keep that from happening.  I didn’t quarantine myself in a hotel for two weeks, but I tried to be sensible about things.

When I got Covid, my symptoms were no more than a two on a scale of 1 to 10 and I felt perfectly fine, just very slightly under the weather. My girlfriend had a tickle in her throat but nothing else. She didn’t even feel bad, just cleared her throat a bit more than usual.

Now some will say that you could give somebody long covid or they could become very ill, and I suppose that’s true, in the same context that if someone gets the flu they could get very ill and perhaps even die from it.  I think that those with severe immune compromise should avoid any form of exposure to large groups of people no matter what.  

There are risks in life that we cannot get around.  Eventually, every single one of us will no longer be on this planet.

Every time you go to the store, somebody probably has Covid. Every time you go to a restaurant, somebody probably has Covid. Every time you stay in a hotel or go on a cruise ship or fly on a plane, somebody probably has Covid. This is today’s reality. The good news is that the current strains, for most of us, are much more mild than the original alpha or delta variants.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Good to know. Thanks

Was very easy and even cheaper to fly home from Portland, Started our B2B by flying into San Diego, 11 nights Pacific Coastal Cruise followed by a 7 day RT Alaska Cruise from Vancouver.

It's about a 3 hours longer to Portland(6 hours total Vancouver to Portland) compared to just driving to Seattle.........But we took our time since there was no rush to get to Portland where we stayed another 4 days exploring spots where the Movie "Twilight" was filmed. Beautiful Country out that way, lots of sites to see. We even would like to go back again, there was so much more to see that we didn't have time for.

Returned the car at Portland Airport, easy to get to and didn't have to deal with any International Air flights.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Was very easy and even cheaper to fly home from Portland, Started our B2B by flying into San Diego, 11 nights Pacific Coastal Cruise followed by a 7 day RT Alaska Cruise from Vancouver.

It's about a 3 hours longer to Portland(6 hours total Vancouver to Portland) compared to just driving to Seattle.........But we took our time since there was no rush to get to Portland where we stayed another 4 days exploring spots where the Movie "Twilight" was filmed. Beautiful Country out that way, lots of sites to see. We even would like to go back again, there was so much more to see that we didn't have time for.

Returned the car at Portland Airport, easy to get to and didn't have to deal with any International Air flights.

Yeah doing PC B4B on Serenade Oct 2022 and the Radiance PC B3B in 2023 all other  Cruises after Canal but was looking at adding Cali Coastal and maybe Alaska legs pre-Canal

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I booked a one way rental from MCO to PCN this past February.  Could just be that route as I am sure there is a constant flow back and forth

I think this is because Florida has a law that prohibits rental car companies from adding "drop charges" for rentals within the state.

20 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

One way car rentals at airports are very rare these days. Found out last weekend in Charleston when our flight was canceled. 

Jersey - were you on the 8/25 Charleston Cruise.  We ended up driving down.  We are also Jersey residents.