Tropical storm/hurricane

spinnaker2

Maybe a silly question, but I cant find a definitive answer.

What happens to a cruise that is scheduled to embark to the Caribbean as a tropical storm or hurricane is approaching?

Does MSC cancel and reschedule, go in a different direction?

There are a bunch of named and unnamed storms out there in hurricane alley…

We had a cruise out of Charleston, SC 3 years ago to Nassau. Hurricane was slowly approaching the Bahamas on departure day. Carnival decided to cancel  Nassau and go to Key West. On our Sea Day, the Hurricane picked up speed and the decision was made to cancel all ports as they were afraid the storm would trap the ship in a south Florida port. We slowly made our way back to Charleston on a four day cruise to nowhere. Full refund and a free future cruise credit. 

Not sure what MSC would do. Most cruise lines will set sail to different ports to avoid going near a Hurricane and not cancel the cruise. 

3 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Seriously?

With all the posts you have on Cruise Critic and  cruises you have taken, have you missed all the posts about storm related changes?

I guess I have. My apologies for the dumb question. I’ve been lucky, I guess. Only ever had one port cancelled and it was due to choppy water. 

Hurricane season normally June to November.
When booking a cruise in the Caribbean,  this is important to keep in mind.

This year has been unusually quiet, so far. 

Some of the worst storms to make landfall have been later in the season.
Looks like tropical storms are starting to line up  across Atlantic .

It is good idea to have a back up plan for your cruise. Cruise lines are always monitoring these and making their back up plans.

Our last cruise was November and we had great weather. 
This year , we are sailing October and it could go either way.

Perhaps less ports or sunny days, we are OK with that.

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Maybe a silly question, but I cant find a definitive answer.

What happens to a cruise that is scheduled to embark to the Caribbean as a tropical storm or hurricane is approaching?

Does MSC cancel and reschedule, go in a different direction?

There are a bunch of named and unnamed storms out there in hurricane alley…

The first thing you need to do is go to nhc.noaa.gov and bookmark.  As far as TS Earl is concerned, the cone does not take it anywhere near the islands.  TS Danielle would only affect a ship on a northern crossing, but there isn’t one until 9/15.

Ships have stayed out longer if the debarkation port is closed…we got an extra two days on Armonia back in 2019.  No Key West, double Costa Maya and Cozumel. 
Ships have also shortened cruises, changed ports of embarkation and debarkation but it is not common.  EM

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

The first thing you need to do is go to nhc.noaa.gov and bookmark.  As far as TS Earl is concerned, the cone does not take it anywhere near the islands.  TS Danielle would only affect a ship on a northern crossing, but there isn’t one until 9/15.

Ships have stayed out longer if the debarkation port is closed…we got an extra two days on Armonia back in 2019.  No Key West, double Costa Maya and Cozumel. 
Ships have also shortened cruises, changed ports of embarkation and debarkation but it is not common.  EM

Perhaps you missed the Earl uodates?

While not expected to make landfall on any islands at present, TS Earl most definitely is affecting them, and there are wind and flood warnings, watches and warnings in place for PR, USVI, BVI, etc..

145816_key_messages_sm.png

• Like 1

All the smart folks that live in South Florida book September cruises to 'get out of Dodge" (Hurricanes). Cruise ships are the safest places to be when a hurricane is about to hit. It is impossible to leave the area. Flights are booked solid and then grounded. The Turnpike and I-95 are turned into one-way heading north and everyone is caught in traffic jams, running out of gas and break downs, etc. Worse mess. "Cruise ships are generally built to handle most waves in the ocean – they can routinely sail through 10-15 feet waves without issues, and should handle most waves up to 50 feet with minimal damage. If one is prone to seasickness, pick a cabin on a lower deck mid ship on a mega ship like the Seashore.

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Cruise ships are the safest places to be when a hurricane is about to hit. 

Or Walt Disney World. With much bigger capacity and higher probability that your trip won't get cancelled or changed.

41 minutes ago, iwtobek said:

Or Walt Disney World. With much bigger capacity and higher probability that your trip won't get cancelled or changed.

My MIL tried to get a flight to Las Vegas at any hotel, but by the time the weather forecaster's made their final determination of a direct strike, it was too late as well. Just have to plan on leaving for hurricane season months in advance.

Hmm, Morpheus, i live in south Florida and have never booked a cruise during an impending hurricane, although i have been on a cruise in stormy weather. I am one of those who board up, remove all potential missiles from the yard, fill the bathtub with water, get a lot of drinking water, beenieweenies  and hunker down. In the future, as i am now in my dotage, I will have to consider the other evacuation option. 

Edited by spinnaker2

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Hmm, Morpheus, i live in south Florida and have never booked a cruise during an impending hurricane, although i have been on a cruise in stormy weather. I am one of those who board up, remove all potential missiles from the yard, fill the bathtub with water, get a lot of drinking water, beenieweenies  and hunker down. In the future, as i am now in my dotage, I will have to consider the other evacuation option. 

Us too!

I do not book any cruises during the height of hurricane season.  We mostly stay put and ride it out!  We were in our closet during Hurricane Charley which was a strong Cat 4 and experienced the eye passing over us.  We probably would not do that again, but if we evacuate it's to someplace where we can come home and assess the damage quickly and not be on a cruise ship wondering if that hole in the roof is letting in more water.

• Like 2

Most lines can alter the itinerary to avoid the storms.

I have cruised in hurricane season several times (live in Miami), and have another planned in October. Prices are cheaper, and have always (for the most part) had good luck!

Only one was completely cancelled. We were to sail out of San Juan right when Maria hit the island. They made the decision to cancel 3-4 days before sailing, but we were able to book a new cruise 2 days before our departure out of Miami to the opposite end of the Caribbean. Had blue skies and a perfect cruise.

Another out of Miami was scheduled for Eastern Caribbean. Several days before with a storm approaching, we were notified that we would now be sailing the Western Caribbean instead. Last minute, the storm turned, and upon embarkation at the pier, we received paper printouts stating that we were returning to our original Eastern itinerary. Again, blue skies and a perfect cruise.

Ships are so easily able to change course to avoid the storms (for the most part), so as long as the origin isn't affected, you should typically be fine. If you want to avoid altogether, try an ABC itinerary (although I know MSC doesn't seem to sail there). Those islands are too far south to (typically) ever be affected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mafig said:

Us too!

I do not book any cruises during the height of hurricane season.  We mostly stay put and ride it out!  We were in our closet during Hurricane Charley which was a strong Cat 4 and experienced the eye passing over us.  We probably would not do that again, but if we evacuate it's to someplace where we can come home and assess the damage quickly and not be on a cruise ship wondering if that hole in the roof is letting in more water.

Us three.

The only time we left was in 2001 and we were  at our then second home in Marathon in the Keys.

Hurricane Michelle (November storm) had intensified to a Cat 4 and was predicted to go to a Cat 5 and go up the Keys. We left and went up to Port St Lucie to ride it out.

Turn out to be a bad choice as Michelle missed the Keys, went into the Atlantic, up the Florida east coast to the Bahamas. We enjoyed Michelle in our Port St Lucie hotel room. 

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Us three.

The only time we left was in 2001 and we were  at our then second home in Marathon in the Keys.

Hurricane Michelle (November storm) had intensified to a Cat 4 and was predicted to go to a Cat 5 and go up the Keys. We left and went up to Port St Lucie to ride it out.

Turn out to be a bad choice as Michelle missed the Keys, went into the Atlantic, up the Florida east coast to the Bahamas. We enjoyed Michelle in our Port St Lucie hotel room. 

Yawn……….

4 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Interesting.  But those that lived in Homestead lost their roof and one family was saved retreating to their Volvo. We try to protect our property the best we can, but those that have no place to go, no family to retreat to out of harm's way in our dotage, booking cruises a year ahead of time is one way to avoid natural disasters. Perhaps Harry Truman, whose famous last words were "I got no place to go" just before Mt. ST. Helens blew up would be alive today had he booked any cruise ,to anywhere.

8 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Interesting.  But those that lived in Homestead lost their roof and one family was saved retreating to their Volvo. We try to protect our property the best we can, but those that have no place to go, no family to retreat to out of harm's way in our dotage, booking cruises a year ahead of time is one way to avoid natural disasters. Perhaps Harry Truman, whose famous last words were "I got no place to go" just before Mt. ST. Helens blew up would be alive today had he booked any cruise ,to anywhere.

Hurrican season is from June 1st to November 30th.

How to predict a major hurricane and which week to book a year ahead of time ?

.. just wondering ..

19 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

Hurrican season is from June 1st to November 30th.

How to predict a major hurricane and which week to book a year ahead of time ?

.. just wondering ..

It is all just luck I suppose.  We book 2 weeks in June, 2 weeks in July, every Labor Day week, then 3- 4 weeks later, then Thanksgiving all 1 to 2 years ahead of time. So its 7 weeks out of 24 and there is the hope that being on board could afford us first chance before upgrade bidders are given a chance at unsold cabins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Perhaps Harry Truman, whose famous last words were "I got no place to go" just before Mt. ST. Helens blew up would be alive today..."

Well, he would be 125 years old, so that would be something. 😉

Crypt-Keeper.gif.839a2da7606dcb574b4d4bd6ea7d9bb1.gif