"Are We Mad?" - a not quite live review of our Alaskan, Transpacific, Comedy, and Papua New Guinea cruises

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Helicopters are awesome for ultimate sightseeing, and some of our best travel memories. As long as it is affordable, we suss these out for most of our trips now.

I follow the Queen's advice and only travel on helicopters with two propellors.

40 minutes ago, Jean C said:

You can also find your companions from the big screens by the lifts. We didn't use the app on board (didn't have internet) but certainly didn't feel disadvantaged without it. The only drink we had we ordered Direct from the bar (we're old fashioned folk) 😊

A bonus to talk to the bar man

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jean C said:

You can also find your companions from the big screens by the lifts. We didn't use the app on board (didn't have internet) but certainly didn't feel disadvantaged without it. The only drink we had we ordered Direct from the bar (we're old fashioned folk) 😊

Same, order the old fashioned way, the waiter will zap the medallion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cbtours said:

I was the most fearful flyer hence rarely flew til I married Frank! So I’m very proud of myself for going on big planes. Little ones never lol. Helicopters!!! I always said if I need medical trip in one just let me die lol but I’m getting so tempted by this excursion!!! That I’m willing to be brave “I think” lol

Helicopters are fun! My birthday treat in 2019 was a helicopter flight over the volcanic national park in Hawaii. The helicopter was gorgeous with a very luxurious interior.

2019-09-14 08.00.39-2.jpg

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 3

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

Helicopters ard fun! My birthday treat in 2019 was a helicopter flight over the volcanic national park in Hawaii. The helicopter was gorgeous with a very luxurious interior.

Very nice! Does it “feel” safe lol like you’re not just suspended by three little blades!!!

5 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Very nice! Does it “feel” safe lol like you’re not just suspended by three little blades!!!

The scariest helicopter ride I went on was over Katherine Gorge in the NT. The helicopter didn't have any doors - just open spaces. I went with a friend. I linked my arm with hers and said "One out, all out"! Needless to say, we didn't fall out but it was scary when the pilot kept banking the helicopter so we could get a better view.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Back to the app and internet, how do connect to the app on board if you don't have the internet package? I had my phone set to flight mode with mobile data switched off. I've always accessed the app from home internet or through free wifi, so not sure how to even get off the starting blocks 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

Yes, they feel very safe but they move differently to a plane especially when circling points of interest. Take-off was very smooth though.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Back to the app and internet, how do connect to the app on board if you don't have the internet package? I had my phone set to flight mode with mobile data switched off. I've always accessed the app from home internet or through free wifi, so not sure how to even get off the starting blocks 🤔

Just switch your WiFi back on, it will connect automatically.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Essentially, it is still free wifi, but only WLAN (wireless local area network), that will connect to the ship's network, but not to external internet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Helicopters are fun! My birthday treat in 2019 was a helicopter flight over the volcanic national park in Hawaii. The helicopter was gorgeous with a very luxurious interior.

There are some gorgeous spots that are best seen by helicopter. We had planned to do the Hawaiian one, but covid said no. During our previous visit, we had already stretched the budget. Some of our best holiday memories are from helicopters.

Vegas night flight

Whitsundays

Sydney Harbour, the day P&O had their 5 ships in the harbour

Canmore (just out of the national park at Banff), anyone visiting the Rockies is in awe of the icy peaks seen from the road or rail. The helicopter is 3D, with peaks beyond peaks beyond peaks.

All I can say Irene, a Glacier chopper will be well worth stepping outside the box for.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

We had internet on recent cruise but I’ll be finding out on October 11th🥰

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Unlike her grandson, the heir apparent, who flies them. 

Yes, he is a pilot.  However, she made him stop flying whole family together  After they did that, Kate and son went by train whilst others flew. 

• Like 1

There are some gorgeous spots that are best seen by helicopter. We had planned to do the Hawaiian one, but covid said no. During our previous visit, we had already stretched the budget. Some of our best holiday memories are from helicopters.

Vegas night flight

Whitsundays

Canmore (just out of the national park at Banff), anyone visiting the Rockies is in awe of the icy peaks seen from the road or rail. The helicopter is 3D, with peaks beyond peaks beyond peaks.

All I can say Irene, a Glacier chopper will be well worth stepping outside the box for.

Not for this nervous nelly,  However I did fly with a young pilot in SA once. 

They provided a small helicopter tour on my last cruise.  He had to fly back to Horn Island to refuel before competing flights.  I had a great time talking to the Manager and Bar Man.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The scariest helicopter ride I went on was over Katherine Gorge in the NT. The helicopter didn't have any doors - just open spaces. I went with a friend. I linked my arm with hers and said "One out, all out"! Needless to say, we didn't fall out but it was scary when the pilot kept banking the helicopter so we could get a better view.

I better definitely check that before I book anything!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cbtours said:

I better definitely check that before I book anything!!!!

We only found out that there weren't any doors on the helicopter when we turned up to board. Obviously we had seatbelts on but I don't think the pilot checked that we had them done up correctly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Vegas night flight

Whitsundays

I’m getting more inspired by the minute 🥰🥰🥰

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

We only found out that there weren't any doors on the helicopter when we turned up to board. Obviously we had seatbelts on but I don't think the pilot checked that we had them done up correctly.

🤢

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

Obviously we had seatbelts on but I don't think the pilot checked that we had them done up correctly.

That's not correct. As a former pilot, I can tell you that he would have checked very carefully. You were probably too excited to notice. I can understand fear of flying, and for anyone afflicted with it, you need to separate fact from fiction.  There are some good help sites if you search on 'fear of flying help'.  What doesn't help is believing people who think it is a bit funny to frighten people with a genuine phobia by telling them tactless things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

That's not correct. As a former pilot, I can tell you that he would have checked very carefully. You were probably too excited to notice. I can understand fear of flying, and for anyone afflicted with it, you need to separate fact from fiction.  There are some good help sites if you search on 'fear of flying help'.  What doesn't help is believing people who think it is a bit funny to frighten people with a genuine phobia by telling them tactless things.

I am Flying normally now! When Frank & I married I started counting flights! (He’s an itinerant minister) and in the first two years I passed 250 flights and stopped counting but helicopters are a whole different thing but if I can afford it I’ll do it and won’t tell Frank hehe he can enjoy the surprise 🥳🥳🥳