The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 6th, 2022

richwmn

9 hours ago, kazu said:

@kochleffelyou must be SO tired.  I hope you soon feel rested and restored 🤞 You deserve wine tonight!

Thank you! Alas, in the week after a cruise I usually don't drink at all, having imbibed rather freely during the cruise. But I may conclude that an exception is warranted.

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

Good Evening Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Another rainy day here.  At least it’s been coming down steady and not too heavy.  Other areas are not so lucky.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good, I enjoy all things mango.  Today was a long workday, I started early and stayed late for a zoom meeting.

I hope everyone has a nice rest of the day.

image.thumb.png.5faa24a2c3711f2713c4c4da9b48129d.png

• Like 17

Thanks to Ann @Vict0riann, @Cat in my lap, and Kay @kb4683and Jim for the anniversary wishes.  It's been a nice day which is a blessing any day of the week.🥂

DH spoke with his sister this afternoon.  She was describing their upcoming cruises and it occurs to me she will be on the 14 day Alaska cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam beginning Sept. 11, which is the same cruise Ann and Pat @Vict0riannwill be on.  (Ann @cat shepardis aboard right now and getting off Sunday)  Then they stay one night in Vancouver after that cruise and board Grand Princess for a 7 day coastal cruise.  That ends in Los Angeles, so they stay over one night and board Sapphire Princess for a 15 day Hawaii cruise.  Not an easy job packing for Alaska and Hawaii in one trip!  That will amount to about 40 days away from home.  No pets, kids or grandkids so all they worry about is lawn care at this point.  Hope everything goes well and they don't catch Covid!  Her biggest complaint right now is all the trouble with testing for Canada.  She mentioned 3 tests.  I don't envy her that!😝

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

She was describing their upcoming cruises and it occurs to me she will be on the 14 day Alaska cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam beginning Sept. 11, which is the same cruise Ann and Pat @Vict0riannwill be on.  (Ann @cat shepardis aboard right now and getting off Sunday)  Then they stay one night in Vancouver after that cruise and board Grand Princess for a 7 day coastal cruise.  That ends in Los Angeles, so they stay over one night and board Sapphire Princess for a 15 day Hawaii cruise.  Not an easy job packing for Alaska and Hawaii in one trip!  That will amount to about 40 days away from home.

That is a challenge.  In 2018 I did something somewhat similar but it was Alaska and the Panama Canal.  I ended up shipping one bag with Luggage Forward to meet the Westerdam before boarding in Seward and back from New York at the end of the Panama Canal cruise.  It was a big help.

Roy

• Like 10

i am just checking in for a minute.  That is about all i have.

The damage is overwhelming.  They have pulled the vanity out of the bathroom.  We need a new toilet.  The carpets have been removed from the living room, the master bed room and another bedroom. 

The built-in bookcase in the living room has to be removed so that the carpeting under it can be removed to be dried.  Then it has to be replaced.  

Some furniture has water damage.  

Jim and I are down to one bedroom with a double bed.  That is where we will sleep for the next few nights until all the fans are removed from the rest of the house.

There is stuff all over the place.  The den has so much stuff in it that it is inaccessible.

Jim just went out for pizza because I have been working so much on getting stuff out of all the places that I am too tired to cook.

Just say a prayer that we can get through this,.

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 12

14 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Breaking news report from Reuters. A 58 year old woman was killed in a shark attack off Paradise Island Bahamas. She and family members wee pax on Harmony of the Seas. It was not a ship excursion. Prayers for the family.💔🙏

That's terrible.  Her family must be in total shock.  Prayers for them all.🙏

14 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

The damage is overwhelming.  They have pulled the vanity out of the bathroom.  We need a new toilet.  The carpets have been removed from the living room, the master bed room and another bedroom. 

The built-in bookcase in the living room has to be removed so that the carpeting under it can be removed to be dried.  Then it has to be replaced.  

Jim and I are down to one bedroom with a double bed.  That is where we will sleep for the next few nights until all the fans are removed from the rest of the house.

There is stuff all over the place.  The den has so much stuff in it that it is inaccessible.

Jim just went out for pizza because I have been working so much on getting stuff out of all the places that I am too tired to cook.

Terri

Terri, I'm sorry to hear all the news of your day, but I guess you were expecting most of it.  I hope things don't take too long to be repaired and replaced.  I don't blame you for being so down about it all.  I would be a total wreck!  Hope to hear better news about it in the next week.🤞 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That's terrible.  Her family must be in total shock.  Prayers for them all.🙏

Terri, I'm sorry to hear all the news of your day, but I guess you were expecting most of it.  I hope things don't take too long to be repaired and replaced.  I don't blame you for being so down about it all.  I would be a total wreck!  Hope to hear better news about it in the next week.🤞 

We are looking at two months at the least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

I remember it was that long when my dad's water heater leaked all over the basement.   Carpet had to be replaced and many things being stored were just thrown out.  I'm so sorry.

@StLouisCruisers

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg.ef7cbf15cbb48084b927b314374a7bb3.jpg

Thank you Debbie!  I hope you hear good news about your offer on the house.  🤞

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

Oh, Terri, how awful.  I so sorry the damage is so much worse than first thought.  Just take it one day at a time and don't do more than you can handle in a day.

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Thanks, everyone.  The realtor agrees with us that the asking price is out of line.  It is two siblings selling their dad's house.  I know what they are going through as we did the same three years ago with my dad's.  However, they slapped some paint on the walls and doubled the value of the house for listing.  They've already done one price reduction and have had no bites.  Not sure how long they are willing to carry this house.  I made a list of reasons the price should be lower.  Nothing horrible, but thinks like needing to restain the decks, trim trees, change out the cheesy electric fireplace, etc.  That kind of thing.  With laminate floors and electric fireplaces, the value goes way down.  Hopefully their realtor can talk sense into them.  

Debbie, I hope the sellers will be reasonable and that you get the house.  It sounds like you will have some work to do on the house.  That prompts me to ask is your sister qualified to join the messy painter gang, or is she one of those who can paint a room and come out paint free?

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Hello and happy Tuesday from the mountains near home!  We arrived this morning about 11:15 and after unpacking the car and putting away fridge and freezer items and cleaning, we had a late lunch of leftover crepes, asparagus, and bread, oh, and of course a bit of wine to celebrate.  Tonight we are almost having today meal suggestion but it’s pork carnitas bowls and blueberry cake and ice cream for dessert. Yum, I can’t wait. Mountain air makes you hungry. 

The owner always meets us and has two dogs. What a surprise to be greeted by 3. He added a new rescue named Maggie. Taz and Bella seem to tolerate her.  The cable is out so no TV, Sharon is in withdrawal. The cable worker is coming tomorrow so hopefully it’ll get fixed. I’ll get some pictures tomorrow. The birds have been more active and plentiful than in the past. 

I’ve not read the Daily for 3 days and just read Roy’s Care list and saw Allen on the Care list. I hope everything is okay. Prayers Joy! @Seasick Sailor  Hoping everyone here are all doing well. 

Tossing eggs brings back a not so favorite memory. When I was a High School Freshman for some crazy reason there was an initiation ritual to get in the pep squad. One of them was to toss eggs back and forth to each other and see how many eggs were dropped or hit the other person. Needless to say, Sharon didn’t do so good. 😉

Have a good evening!

• Like 13

Sandi & Dennis @StLouisCruisers — Happy Anniversary wishes to you!  Enjoy!  🍾🥂💕

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Debbie @dfish — good to hear you found a home that would work for you and your sister. I hope they come down in price.

A sunset picture from the mountains looking down on Tucson. 

70C48F4A-7216-492A-ADC7-95CF973775E1.thumb.jpeg.da14bc4b6905caf9f97cc47aeebc1d00.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I don't read as much as I did in the past, and I realized it's because my favorite authors have died

Who were your favorite authors?  I read about 4 books a week and may be able to help you find a new author you like to read.  

12 hours ago, grapau27 said:

we went to see a Beatles tribute act last night.

Have you seen video of  Paul McCarthy singing Oh Darling at the Taylor Hawkins Tribute at Wembley Stadium this weekend?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another beautiful day.  I'm enjoying the lower temperatures and sunny days -- Saturday and Sunday show 85F degrees -- what's up with that?  I guess one last blast of summer.

I think I'll celebrate Fight Procrastination today by doing something I've been putting off for a few months.  I still haven't framed my large counted cross-stitch of the European bistro scene.  I have everything laid out to do it, but have really been procrastinating.  I think it's because once it's done it can't be changed.  I need to remind myself that then I can hang it up!

I don't read as much as I did in the past, and I realized it's because my favorite authors have died 😞  I need to find new favorite authors.  Have no idea what an egg toss would be like, it sounds horribly messy.

Good quote, and the meal sounds great.  I love mango salsa and always look for it on cruises.  I know they had it at the taco bar in the past, but not sure if they still do.  Will pass on the drink and wine.

We visited Portree on the VOV in 2018.  We took a tour to the 13th century Eilean Donan Castle. We weren't allowed to take photos inside, but really the exterior was much more interesting anyway.

Yikes @RedneckBobabout lightening striking twice!!  I think I would move!

Sandi @StLouisCruisersHappy Anniversary!!!

Graham @grapau27thank you for the clip of the Beatles tribute show.  I don't usually care for tribute bands of bands and singers I have seen in person, but this was good.  I saw the Beatles in California when I was 14.

One of our tenders going into Portree

770974435_Portreetender.jpg.47c4cf4f243fa224947953c43549a96b.jpg

On our way to the Eilean Donan Castle we see our ship anchored out.

70451092_shipanchored.jpg.916308acd9901dee65517a3d2bffef31.jpg

Sheep in the beautiful highlands

424890229_sheepinthehighlands.jpg.9e3d85953aba894181a5d356402e1426.jpg

And a cottage in the highlands

1845707345_cottageinthehighlands.jpg.73a2cd3278d6943b6d910554eff1b486.jpg

Our first view of the Eilean Donan Castle

1991602660_EileanDonancastle.thumb.jpg.2d7fc73dad1d2f61670abe5e60a55830.jpg

We walked a little ways to get to the castle.

1784961083_walkingtothecastle.thumb.jpg.879ef40275ec378aea81acc131b62bc5.jpg

886569952_viewlookingupatcastle.thumb.jpg.707db0a4ecc926f2afcbfd3a5c8f1d12.jpg

The surroundings were gorgeous.

1190705825_beautifulsurroundings.jpg.e106fbc1333ad6d6c6c4600ed50ec34d.jpg

plaques.jpg.3e938ed37f45bc98ec994106b88a76de.jpg

664757756_plaqueoncastle.jpg.6e35e4507d1a24b20bf6fcb4ceff7838.jpg

We explored the whole exterior.

86461513_lookingdownsteps.jpg.b0a88d43d85baf5e8865889aa0e1a60a.jpg

Thank you for your lovely photos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sandi & Dennis @StLouisCruisers — Happy Anniversary wishes to you!  Enjoy!  🍾🥂💕

Debbie @dfish — good to hear you found a home that would work for you and your sister. I hope they come down in price.

A sunset picture from the mountains looking down on Tucson. 

70C48F4A-7216-492A-ADC7-95CF973775E1.thumb.jpeg.da14bc4b6905caf9f97cc47aeebc1d00.jpeg

Amazing.

I am a fan of all the old western films and Tucson Arizona, Wyoming etc are places that I remember from the film's.

Graham.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 0106 said:

Who were your favorite authors?  I read about 4 books a week and may be able to help you find a new author you like to read.  

Have you seen video of  Paul McCarthy singing Oh Darling at the Taylor Hawkins Tribute at Wembley Stadium this weekend?

No but we have visited where Paul was brought up in Liverpool as well as the Cavern club etc in August 2020.

Graham.

IMG_20200821_121209.jpg

IMG_20200821_142044.jpg

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I hope the sellers will be reasonable and that you get the house.  It sounds like you will have some work to do on the house.  That prompts me to ask is your sister qualified to join the messy painter gang, or is she one of those who can paint a room and come out paint free?

We'll be persistent!

Sister Sue is meticulous in her work and is definitely not a messy painter.   There is some work to do, but nothing major.  Mostly stuff we want to do, but some of the outside maintenance didn't get done.  The trees over the roof are the most worrisome and I would want them taken care of before they get laden down with snow.  Most are fir trees that I love.  The decks can wait and get cleaned next spring.  

• Like 7

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Amazing.

I am a fan of all the old western films and Tucson Arizona, Wyoming etc are places that I remember from the film's.

Graham.

Yes Graham, many movies filmed in the area and also Arizona in general. Near Tucson is an old movie location called Old Tucson.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Tucson_Studios

You could visit and see a lot of places where movies or TV were made. One you may know is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_Chaparral

Once I’m home I’ll have to look for pictures. There was a bad fire in 1995 and it took a long time to reopen and then only as a tourist attraction and also an annual Night Fall location during October for Halloween. https://nightfallaz.com/

It was sold recently, IIRC it had problems during the pandemic, etc, and now has new operators. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 0106 said:

Thank you, what a kind offer!  The one who comes to mind first is Ann Rule.  She was a local author/ celebrity and I have all her books.  I like mystery, historical fiction, and true crime (not the gory kind, but like Ann Rule's books). 

4 hours ago, dfish said:

We'll be persistent!

Sister Sue is meticulous in her work and is definitely not a messy painter.   

I have met sister Sue and can vouch for her.  I think she would bring lots of humor to the group and fit in nicely. 😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you, what a kind offer!  The one who comes to mind first is Ann Rule.  She was a local author/ celebrity and I have all her books.  I like mystery, historical fiction, and true crime (not the gory kind, but like Ann Rule's books). 

I love Ann Rule as well.  Jonathan Kellerman is good.  

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I have met sister Sue and can vouch for her.  I think she would bring lots of humor to the group and fit in nicely. 😄

She would also help @marshhawk do the paint and wine runs for us.  But she would also criticize our mess.   😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, dfish said:

I love Ann Rule as well.  Jonathan Kellerman is good.  

She would also help @marshhawk do the paint and wine runs for us.  But she would also criticize our mess.   😁

Oh yes, Jonathan Kellerman! 

9 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@Cruising-along  You may enjoy Erik Larson Devil in the White City, if you like nonfiction.  This is one of his best.

E516DE36-A29E-433D-ACBB-652687FB084B.jpeg.81d2cb18747b2356600b7cc63be1828d.jpeg 

I like fiction mystery and historical books too

Thank you!  Adding this to my list. 🙂  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Oh yes, Jonathan Kellerman! 

Thank you!  Adding this to my list. 🙂  

You may already be reading these authors, but I enjoy David Baldacci, Ken Follet,  John Grisham, and Jeffery Archer.  For some lighter reading, I like cozy mysteries.

Lenda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1