Hurricane Fiona

Stumblefoot

This is the link for the National Hurricane Center:  https://www.nhc.noaa.gov

Named storms have their own box if you scroll down, and you can click the various boxes to see info on their projected routes, and when it will be where.  All is subject to the hurricane changing its mind, of course.  Looks like landfall around Halifax with hurricane force winds, but the whole eastern seaboard is going to a bumpy ride for the next few days.  Good time for ships to stay in a safe harbor!  

Thanks for the thought Stumbles!

Altho’ I’m actually sitting in Honolulu airport just starting my trip home, I was due to fly into Bermuda on Friday but have changed my flight from Charlotte to Saturday so I’ll be sitting in an airport hotel at CLT while it all happens. Hope my car and house are okay, and the power’s not off for too many days. 

Also sending good wishes to all on the Whisper, the waters of the north west Atlantic are going to be very lumpy for a while. Could threaten the stability of the champagne glasses. 

• Like 6

Thanks for the good wishes, I’m hoping SS makes the right decision and does not have  us heading out into the storm that will be hitting Canada as we leave Boston tomorrow, if that is still the schedule. Still no announcement yet  as to what’s in  store  for us . 

• Like 1

Ok so latest we are heading out of Boston tomorrow at 1pm and heading to St. John New Brunswick ETA  Sept 24th at 10 am , but only staying 4 hours. Then from there not sure where we go. Hopefully we will be docked since can’t imagine getting tenders for everyone to get to see any of St. John . More to come…

Edited by bobolz
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bobolz said:

Ok so latest we are heading out of Boston tomorrow at 1pm and heading to St. John New Brunswick ETA  Sept 24th at 10 am , but only staying 4 hours. Then from there not sure where we go. Hopefully we will be docked since can’t imagine getting tenders for everyone to get to see any of St. John . More to come…

Just a picky comment from a Canadian. Saint John, New Brunswick is never shortened to St. John. 😃

23 minutes ago, bobolz said:

…heading to St. John New Brunswick ETA Sept 24th at 10 am, but only staying 4 hours.

Good luck bobolz.  Hopefully, SS will have you safely ensconced in the Bay of Fundy as Fiona roars over Halifax with 110mph winds at that time.  

At this point, it looks like Canada will set a new all-time low pressure as the lowest ever recorded previously was 940 millibars in Jan. 1977 in Newfoundland.

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Good luck bobolz.  Hopefully, SS will have you safely ensconced in the Bay of Fundy as Fiona roars over Halifax with 110mph winds at that time.  

At this point, it looks like Canada will set a new all-time low pressure as the lowest ever recorded previously was 940 millibars in Jan. 1977 in Newfoundland.

Latest tracking has it a little east, so Halifax may be spared the brunt. But Sydney will get it.   I tried to tell the Captain two days ago to go to Saint John & shelter in the Bay of Fundy.  I guess he finally is listening to me!  😄      I have another storm ready to hit my home in SW FL next week!  Newest models moving it closer to me.   I think maybe I should hibernate until winter. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, alithecat said:

@bobolzhow are conditions on the Silver Whisper? I hope the Whisper found a place to hide out from the hurricane.

Here's the path we've taken since last night, when we went back to Cape Cod.  As of a few minutes ago, we are scheduled to go to Halifax, but that is still up in the air.  At least 3 stops missed, who knows haw many more.  All are safe, seas a little rough, but we've experienced much worse.  

IMG_4682.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gwesq said:

As of a few minutes ago, we are scheduled to go to Halifax, but that is still up in the air.

With nearly 80% without power in Nova Scotia and 95% on Prince Edward Island, I can’t imagine why SS thinks it’s a good idea to sail for Halifax.  The damage is quite extensive.

• Like 1

We never headed to Saint John NB ,we turned around to seek shelter in Cape Cod last night(see gwesq post of the map. We have been going back and forth yesterday and today until we received official notice we were heading to Halifax, but no particulars of when ETA ( other than in the afternoon). From what I can see on passageweather. Com the seas should clear up in NS by then. Also while watching BBC , they showed Halifax had been relatively spared from the destruction. A correspondent was there and did not appear damaged by the storm. As Gwesq stated, the seas are a little rough , but bearable. 

Thanks Ronrick. Seas are quite smooth heading to Halifax. We should arrive in another 5 hours. Will miss some stops, bar harbor, Sydney, PEI, saguenay, but added Sept lies, but as long as we were not tossed around the ocean, I’m fine with the decisions SS had to make. As long as we get to Quebec City , I’m good. 

Edited by bobolz
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 7:18 AM, bobolz said:

Thanks Ronrick. Seas are quite smooth heading to Halifax. We should arrive in another 5 hours. Will miss some stops, bar harbor, Sydney, PEI, saguenay, but added Sept lies, but as long as we were not tossed around the ocean, I’m fine with the decisions SS had to make. As long as we get to Quebec City , I’m good. 

Hi Liz, if you check in, hope you are having a good cruise.🙂 Fiona is long gone........we are looking at Ian now but he is not near you.

Hi Lois! 

Thanks and yes having an enjoyable cruise albeit mostly an ‘at sea’ itinerary.  I didn’t care too much, since I was looking forward to a relaxing vacation with very few days of excursions and more time enjoying the ship. However, I wasn’t expecting so many to be missed, but  I believe SS did the best they could to keep us safe and  to limit the disruption to the itinerary. At this point I’m grateful we were able to make it to Canada and wish the best for those Canadians that were impacted due to these devastating storms. I believe Sydney and PEI being hit the worst, for our itinerary.  We are currently in Gaspe, I believe you are on the reverse Canadian itinerary later in October , and hopefully you have a tour set up for this stop since there is not much to do in this town. I’m hoping that you can stop at  PEI on your cruise and that island  is able to recover soon. 

im not sure why we are missing Saguenay, and don’t know much about Sept Iles, but if it’s anything like Gaspe and it’s raining, we may stay on the ship. We are also not arriving into Quebec City until 4pm on Thursday, which pretty much wipes out any real time in Quebec City before we disembark on Friday, but luckily we are staying a couple of days before we head home. 

hope you have a great cruise with no interruptions, hurricanes, or major changes to your itinerary. 

liz

Edited by bobolz

1 hour ago, bobolz said:

Hi Lois! 

Thanks and yes having an enjoyable cruise albeit mostly an ‘at sea’ itinerary.  I didn’t care too much, since I was looking forward to a relaxing vacation with very few days of excursions and more time enjoying the ship. However, I wasn’t expecting so many to be missed, but  I believe SS did the best they could to keep us safe and  to limit the disruption to the itinerary. At this point I’m grateful we were able to make it to Canada and wish the best for those Canadians that were impacted due to these devastating storms. I believe Sydney and PEI being hit the worst, for our itinerary.  We are currently in Gaspe, I believe you are on the reverse Canadian itinerary later in October , and hopefully you have a tour set up for this stop since there is not much to do in this town. I’m hoping that you can stop at  PEI on your cruise and that island  is able to recover soon. 

im not sure why we are missing Saguenay, and don’t know much about Sept Iles, but if it’s anything like Gaspe and it’s raining, we may stay on the ship. We are also not arriving into Quebec City until 4pm on Thursday, which pretty much wipes out any real time in Quebec City before we disembark on Friday, but luckily we are staying a couple of days before we head home. 

hope you have a great cruise with no interruptions, hurricanes, or major changes to your itinerary. 

liz

Did you get any explanation why the late arrival in Quebec? We have a 9 AM tour - guess that's not happening. 

Gwesq-

no I did not ask, I’m assuming since we are not going to Saguenay (which appears closer to Quebec City than this new stop at Sept Iles) and the CD just announcing reduced speeds required in the St Laurence (a protected waterway) we can’t make it in time for an ETA of 8 am on Thursday as originally scheduled. I believe you are staying on the Whisper for the next cruise from Quebec City to NYC? I’m sure you are disappointed since you will have your time in Quebec City cut short, since I don’t believe the Quebec to nyc stays an extra night in Quebec City, or does it ? I’m sorry if that is the case, I hope that at least you will be able to see more of the itinerary we missed on this one at least.