On Deck

Alantra

I am sure I am over thinking this.. Do you all have a purse or backpack with you all the time?  

I feel I would need to be bringing my phone/camera and water with me when I am anywhere on the ship.. 

Can you share with me what people bring? 

Thanks 🙂

30 minutes ago, Alantra said:

Do you all have a purse or backpack with you all the time?  

I feel I would need to be bringing my phone/camera and water with me when I am anywhere on the ship.

I tend to carry a "hobo" bag that holds knitting and usually both of our kindles. In the past I have "worn" my phone/camera on a neckstrap, where it would demagnetize my S&S card (also around my neck)! 

Meanwhile I have found and bought several or plenty of leggings with pockets on the outside/thighs. PopFit and other brands. I plan to pack ONLY them for coming cruise. Phone in one side, room-card in the other. Water or drink in hand!

ETA: a small cross-body purse is often mentioned in the Fashion and Beauty board, although also for going ashore... There's a thread about 6 down...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/107-cruise-fashions-amp-beauty/

Edited by crystalspin

I'd bring a reusable grocery bag.  use it to take what you want to the pool.  when you go ashore, take it to put purchases in instead of getting a single-use bag.  you're going for utility, not fashion on this one.  You can go with one of those little lightweight foldable from walmart/ikea/etsy.  Or, go with a little social conscience and get a cloth bag from FEED.  I use one from FEED myself year-round to carry miscellany and to go the farmers' markets.  

• Like 1

During the day on board I generally have a tote bag/hobo bag with my phone, knitting, kobo, cruise card, notebook & pen, and maybe a water bottle or reusable mug. (Then again, with the removal of the cruise card and the addition of a wallet, it's what I carry during non-cruise life as well.) 

In the evening, I usually switch to a smaller clutch that has my kobo, phone, cruise card, and maybe knitting. 

• Like 1

Everything I wear has pockets, except my formal wear.  Cruise card is in front right pocket.  Phone in right back pocket.  Except when I am running around taking lots of pictures, particularly when it might be dropped.  Then I have it on a lanyard.  Also use the lanyard when I am grocery shopping with a long list.  I carry a shoulder tote with some small crocheting and my Kindle.  When ashore, it is a larger crossbody bag.  EM

• Like 1

My DW must be strange.  Unless we are heading to deck chair/pool (when we carry a tote bag with our Kindles, sunscreen, and hats, she does not take a purse anywhere on the ship.  She does carry her kindle (and on ships where we have a cruise card she will tuck that in her Kindle cover, but still does not bother with a purse.  Carry water on a ship?  Neither of us carry water anywhere, but certainly not on a ship where we generally have drink packages.  If we want water we simply order a glass of ice water from a waiter or stop by a bar.

We actually have some laughs about folks carrying water.  We live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year, and from our Condo balcony we have a great view of part of Malecon where we will often do some people watching.  It is usually easy to pick out the cruisers (from most others) because they are the one's carrying a bottle of water and often wearing a fanny pack.  In PV it is hard to imagine why anyone would lug a bottle of warm water when you can buy cold water (for less than it costs on a ship) just about anywhere not to mention there are bars/restaurants every few feet.

The water thing has truly become cultural.  When I was a kid there was no such thing as bottled water and you would never see anyone walking around with a water bottle.  These days, folks not only carry bottled water everywhere (even in their homes) but folks pay more for that water than they do for gasoline.  

Hank

• Like 2

I almost always have a bag of some kind with me on the ship. Daytime it's usually the tote bag supplied by the ship. It holds my card/medallion, camera (yes I roll that way), tablet, journal and pen, sunglasses, hand sanitizer, tissues,  and the bag for my mask when I'm not wearing it. In the evening I have a clutch purse for my card/medallion, camera, tissues, and mask bag. But I dont pack my marmalade sandwich when on vacation. If I sound like your grandmother, it's probably because I am one, lol

Water on the ship is free (tap water) and perfectly safe to drink. I don’t often carry a water bottle at home because I don’t get thirsty that often but when going ashore, it is mandatory. I will not stop to buy water every time I want a few sips if the walking is hot and I can just as easily carry a light insulated bottle with cold water. Those stops would add up to both time and money wasted.

I have a belt which holds my phone in one zippered pocket and card in another and that is all I usually carry on the ship.

8 hours ago, Alantra said:

I am sure I am over thinking this.. Do you all have a purse or backpack with you all the time?  

I feel I would need to be bringing my phone/camera and water with me when I am anywhere on the ship.. 

Can you share with me what people bring? 

Thanks 🙂

My wife always has some sort of a tote with her when she's wandering the ship. Some folks have phone cases with credit card slots on the back so they can carry their sea cards with them. I've seen fanny pack types of things, lanyards and such. Personally I LOVE what Virgin Voyages has done with the very small sea band bracelet so you literally don't have to carry anything with you except your phone. One thing you will want is some sort of waterproof pouch or case for your phone if you plan to do any sort of excursions, especially if you plan to go out on a boat such as a snorkel trip or a boat ride. Smaller boats tend to get water splashed in them. They also have pouches and cases that float or have a float on them so your phone won't sink in the water. 

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The water thing has truly become cultural.  When I was a kid there was no such thing as bottled water and you would never see anyone walking around with a water bottle.  These days, folks not only carry bottled water everywhere (even in their homes) but folks pay more for that water than they do for gasoline.  

I carry a reusable water bottle so that I don't have to pay for water. I'm pretty much always thirsty, so I always carry water with me (tap water with ice in an insulated bottle.) It's significantly more environmentally- and budget- friendly than buying water every time I get thirsty. 

As you can see from the replies everyone has their own way of doing things. I never carry a purse while on deck. Someone earlier mentioned their clothing having pockets and that is me as well. I am a minimalist and don't like having to carry much of anything, especially during the day while on deck. For evenings, I do have a small crossbody D&B bag, if the outfit needs it. 

I have a lightweight Kipling crossbody that is perfect for toting my Kindle, sunglasses, small digital camera or phone, lip balm, hairbrush, card key, etc. I don't take anything large but I don't like to go back to the room for minor stuff.

I don't sunbathe, so don't really need a tote or anything larger. If I have water with me, I'll just carry it in my hand. I'm not constantly drinking it onboard ship as I'm not usually doing anything strenuous or sitting in the sun....

When on board I make an effort to leave my cell phone in safe from embarkation day to disembarkation day (I have done this on a 17 day cruise, and it was awesome) On board the only thing I carry is whatever book I'm currently reading,  ship card, and cash in port the only things I pretty much carry is whatever book I'm currently reading, ship card, passport card, cash and maybe a towel. After all as far as I'm concerned that is the whole point of a cruise.  

Travel:  if it doesn't have pockets, it stays home.  I loathe carrying a purse or bag or anything at all.  I see no reason to carry a phone around the ship (??) ... whatever for?  Kleenex, keycard, lip balm, dollar bills for tips, reading glasses, off you go.  My wonderful husband will carry a little tote or something on a shore excursion that we can both share. 

8 hours ago, DAVECHIPP1974 said:

When on board I make an effort to leave my cell phone in safe from embarkation day to disembarkation day (I have done this on a 17 day cruise, and it was awesome) On board the only thing I carry is whatever book I'm currently reading,  ship card, and cash in port the only things I pretty much carry is whatever book I'm currently reading, ship card, passport card, cash and maybe a towel. After all as far as I'm concerned that is the whole point of a cruise.  

My phone is my camera so I need to have it with me 🙂

• Like 3

I use a couple different things: 

BACKPACK:  I bring a small backpack as my carry-on bag, and it doubles as my island-stop bag.  Off the ship, I like to keep my things securely ON my body and being hands-free is convenient.  Obviously, my phone or camera easily fits in this backpack.  

NOTHING:  During the day /around the ship, I usually carry just my Sea Pass -- all of my shorts and daytime dresses have pockets.  Ditto for my workout shorts.  On the off-chance that I want to carry my phone (or camera), it will fit in my pockets.  The majority of the time, I am not carrying a bag.  

POOL BAG:  I have a small pool bag, which I've had for years and absolutely love -- it's small and was originally full of Bath & Body Works products.  It's enough to carry my sunscreen, Kindle, sunglasses -- and anything else I might want at the pool.  Since I'm no longer a pack mule for a slew of small children, I can carry my towels in my other hand.  

PURSE:  I bring a small wristlet purse for dinner.  It holds my Sea Pass, my camera (if I choose to bring it) and the readers my husband requires to read the menu.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I doubt you'll carry it around all the time.  Not after the second day. 

Really? I always see people with their phones, for reading, taking pictures, etc.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I never know when I might see something I want a picture of.  And if I’m playing one of my word games on my Kindle, and I’m stuck for a word, the cheater app is on my phone.  EM

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

On HAL, you need your smart phone to access the Navigator for schedules, menus, and to "text" others in your party. That's in addition to it being my only camera and a second-best for email and web-browsing. 

How do you NOT carry your phone? 

P.S. I am about to be 65 and did not grow up with a phone attached to my hand. But it's pretty convenient in the present world.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

On HAL, you need your smart phone to access the Navigator for schedules, menus, and to "text" others in your party. That's in addition to it being my only camera and a second-best for email and web-browsing. 

P.S. I am about to be 65 and did not grow up with a phone attached to my hand. But it's pretty convenient in the present world.

Exactly. I also use it on Celebrity for the daily schedule (app), use it as a camera and often as a watch, and even for music if sitting outside reading and/or people-watching.  Also works in a pinch when I don't have my Kindle with me.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, crystalspin said:

On Cunard the "app" will only give you a current account - it doesn't do anything else I will carry my phone if I want to refer to the daily schedule which I take pictures of. But I quite often don't need my phone.  The wifi on board is bad to unusable and expensive 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

I have pockets  - card in one phone in other or my camera over my shoulder - I have no idea why youd need anything else on board 

You can't understand why someone would want lip balm, or a hair brush, or sunglasses (or reading glasses) or other stuff?

Granted we don't all need the same things, but I can understand if others might need something I don't...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1