Least liked menu items in MDR?

Tonsoffun44

14 hours ago, atomax said:

On my first (and only, to date) Princess cruise, I was having terrible headaches. An experienced cruiser let me know that Princess made their coffee from syrup, so I was having caffeine withdrawal! Is this really still the case? May have to look into buying a coffee package after all if this is the case 😭

Coffee on Princess is horrible unless you pay extra. I don't know if they still do this (we took a long hiatus from cruising) but spouse always bought a coffee card. 

1 hour ago, JJBhouston said:

Coffee on Princess is horrible unless you pay extra. I don't know if they still do this (we took a long hiatus from cruising) but spouse always bought a coffee card. 

If I am correct, most shops now have better brewed coffee available to everyone. (yes, it was known to be from some pretty bad coffee syrup)  But, of course, the nice coffees at the International Cafe should be better!

• Thanks 1

About the headaches and not feeling well.    Did you sweeten your coffee with sweetener or real sugar.  a few years ago I used what I thought was sugar. (it was white) but it was some cheap sweetener that I just can not consume.  Took a couple of glasses of tea for me to figure it out.

Also, I wonder if here have been times when MSG was used onboard.  That is also a killer.  During that one cruise that I mentioned, it was the one where, like another poster mentioned, everything tasted just WAY over salted/seasoned.  And I wonder if this might be a reason why?

Last cruise, Regal, pre-shutdown...Food was much better, and I had no issues!

The only dish I sent back because of taste was pheasant on the Star Princess several years ago. It sounded elegant. I'm not sure if they still have it on the menu. If it is, I won't try it again.

The fried chicken on the Caribbean Princess this summer was strange. Whoever butchered it did not cut it up into recognizable pieces. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Also, I wonder if here have been times when MSG was used onboard.  That is also a killer.  During that one cruise that I mentioned, it was the one where, like another poster mentioned, everything tasted just WAY over salted/seasoned.  And I wonder if this might be a reason why?

Of course they use MSG, it's institutional cooking.  And they also use pre-processed and frozen food that may contain MSG.

Terrine. anything with terrine in it is BLECHHHH!

There used to be a couple of items I didn't care for, but after cruising other lines, I'm sold on princess (just call me cheerleader)

I've been cruising carnival lately, trust me when I say food can be...boring.  Ok, more like boring, repetitive and bland.  

Hubs and I have decided that when HE can cruise, we'll go princess. When it's just me on my own, I'll go carnival because of the price.  

19 hours ago, waltd said:

Princess Meatloaf was bad.   

18 hours ago, Kay S said:

LOL.  I liked it, but I would get shocked looks from the tablemates when I ordered it.

The blue plate special!  I would order it but only if it came with mashed.   

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

About the headaches and not feeling well.    Did you sweeten your coffee with sweetener or real sugar.  a few years ago I used what I thought was sugar. (it was white) but it was some cheap sweetener that I just can not consume.  Took a couple of glasses of tea for me to figure it out.

Last cruise, Regal, pre-shutdown...Food was much better, and I had no issues!

Skeptical Baby Meme - Imgflip

catch up will ya.

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2022 at 5:47 PM, Ombud said:

Hollandaise sauce. It's normally fluid but some reason I can cut it with a fork. 

You need to order sauce on the side.   They then give you a small dish which is liquid and hasn’t been sitting under warming lights.

• Thanks 1

Going from ship to ship while cruising, eating is just part of the adventure.

With this in mind, the very worst piece of steak that I have ever been served was at the Crown Grill.

At first I asked the waiter for another steak knife thinking the one I had was just promoted up from the engine room where it started out as a screw driver or something.

Next knife would not cut the meat either.  On the menu it should have been advertised as "Sole of Shoe". 

Then I tried to see how far I could stab my fork into the steak.  After a couple of jabs the Wife told me to stop playing with my food people are watching me. 

Instead of sending it back, we had family with us and we had something planned for right after dinner so I did not want to wait so I just let it sit on my plate. 

This May on the Discovery in the Crown Grill my steak was outstanding. 

Bob

Edited by 4x4bob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had posted here, last Friday, about hearing about food changes on Princess.

And, I hadn't seen this before today, but a poster here says this..

"Chef Rudi promised that by January we would see significant changes to the food and menus. He is working on more than 100 new recipes. He also said supply chain issues are continuing to be a problem with sourcing food."

So, there are comments coming out from different Princess cruisers on different ships, that all indicate that updated menus, and hopefully much needed improvements, are on the way!!!

On 10/16/2022 at 7:30 PM, billco said:

On the last formal night the menu often includes lobster, beef wellington, prime rib, while the vegetarian option is pumpkin crap/crepe. enough said.

Ask for the vegetarian menu and skip options on the other one. 

17 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I had posted here, last Friday, about hearing about food changes on Princess.

And, I hadn't seen this before today, but a poster here says this..

"Chef Rudi promised that by January we would see significant changes to the food and menus. He is working on more than 100 new recipes. He also said supply chain issues are continuing to be a problem with sourcing food."

So, there are comments coming out from different Princess cruisers on different ships, that all indicate that updated menus, and hopefully much needed improvements, are on the way!!!

I hope you are right as we have sworn off of Princess till they do some major menu changes.

I was on the Discovery last week. The hollandaise sauce was way to lemony, the lamb was just okay and the "mint" jelly was disgusting. The duck that was served on the Gala night was tough - like even cutting with a knife tough. The only way to get a half way decent cup of coffee in the MDR was to order decaf since they have to actually brew that - some where - since it takes for ever to get. If you think the coffee is bad don't try the iced tea. Ugh. I would ask for hot tea and two glasses of ice.

In the Crown Grill I ordered the tenderloin cooked rare and Pittsburgh style. Came out very good. Tried it on the tenderloin in the MDR and it was passable but not as rare as I like it.  

47 minutes ago, Wildcatllamas said:

I was on the Discovery last week. The hollandaise sauce was way to lemony, the lamb was just okay and the "mint" jelly was disgusting. The duck that was served on the Gala night was tough - like even cutting with a knife tough. The only way to get a half way decent cup of coffee in the MDR was to order decaf since they have to actually brew that - some where - since it takes for ever to get. If you think the coffee is bad don't try the iced tea. Ugh. I would ask for hot tea and two glasses of ice.

In the Crown Grill I ordered the tenderloin cooked rare and Pittsburgh style. Came out very good. Tried it on the tenderloin in the MDR and it was passable but not as rare as I like it.  

That's very disappointing to hear. I was on the Discovery Inaugural and the duck was my favorite dish of the cruise.  The most tender and tastiest duck I've ever had. There must be a different Executive Chef on board now.

• Like 1

I wish there could be a good thread where people listed the Executive Chef, and report on how they thought the food was.  That might be telling!  And, useful information.

Other than the Executive Chef, keeping experienced and talented chefs and kitchen staff might be a big issue as well.

I hope it is true that Princess is working on some real updates and improvements!

If so, these should be in place well before we board again.

• Like 1