cruise fare for each line

taxes/fees for each line

then compare the extras- wifi- discount

etc

then 

subtract OBC

hope it works out & you enjoy it

I just gave you a comparison for two balcony cabins

Since the basic fare from Virgin includes grats and wifi, I felt it was easier to compare to the plus package. I then factored in the cost of drinks on Virgin, and it's still cheaper. Another factor will be the meals, which are pretty much cooked to order on Virgin. Every dinner is basically specialty dining without the cover charge. Yet another savings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dog said:

Nor can one fairly compare a Plus package fare on Princess to a base fare ( no drinks, internet, grats etc) on Virgin. As in OP’s first couple of posts.

it is a very confusing thread. 

The base fare on virgin includes free wifi, and grats.

If I can't convey the numbers in a way you understand, feel free to visit VirginVoyages.com and compare numbers for yourself.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

The base fare on virgin includes free wifi, and grats.

If I can't convey the numbers in a way you understand, feel free to visit VirginVoyages.com and compare numbers for yourself.

Thanks for attempting to share your thoughts.

I will pass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

I just gave you a comparison for two balcony cabins

Since the basic fare from Virgin includes grats and wifi, I felt it was easier to compare to the plus package. I then factored in the cost of drinks on Virgin, and it's still cheaper. Another factor will be the meals, which are pretty much cooked to order on Virgin. Every dinner is basically specialty dining without the cover charge. Yet another savings.

Thank you for posting all this information. For me, the take away is that there is not a huge difference in the costs. We all make cost decisions (inside versus balcony versus suite) according to what experience we expect. To me, the experience is the point. We travel also on other lines and do not choose on direct cost. Often it is itineraries. Oceania, for example, ends up about twice the cost of Princess but they go places Princess does not. If we want to go there, we make a value judgement and make a decision. For others, specialty restaurants are key. Others, entertainment.

I am curious to hear about your onboard experiences.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, voljeep said:

the demographic comparison - looking forward to that

and dress 'code' compliance

I'll be the first to admit that Virgin is not for everyone.

Clearly, anyone who is conservative, uptight, or closed-minded will have a hard time enjoying themselves. As for dress code, there is none.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Clearly, anyone who is conservative, uptight, or closed-minded will have a hard time enjoying themselves. As for dress code, there is none.

no dress code at all? - so shorts, tanks tops, hats, sandals for any venue at any time? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

You are correct, the Virgin fare doesn't include drinks, but it does include gratuities and wifi.

How much OBC did you get for 100 sh & military credit?? Although that usually more than covers gratuities and wifi on PCL,  Virgin could work out to be more cost effective once that's included

5 hours ago, dog said:

I still can’t see a clear comparison:

obstructed balcony to obstructed balcony

cruise fare for each line

taxes/fees for each line

then compare the extras- wifi- discount

etc

then 

subtract OBC

hope it works out & you enjoy it

IMHO the point is that there isn't clear difference so far other than:

1. Lock It In Rate eliminates watching for price drops

2. Virgin does not have an air or hotel booking program which IMHO is a meh

3. Better app 

4. Cruisers interact less pre-cruise (at least on cruise critic)

I'm sure there's more differences onboard .... waiting to hear about those

19 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

As many of you know, Pam and I have been disappointed with the current Princess product, so we cancelled our much anticipated two week sailing aboard the Caribbean Princess and booked two short back to backs on Virgin's Scarlet Lady instead.

Many of you have asked me to let you know how things go, and I think that it's easier for all if I break it up, versus one long post.

So, here's the first installment, The Pre-Cruise Experience.

We booked what they call a "Lock It In Rate Ltd View Sea Terrace" for both sailings, and they were priced less than an inside, making it the most affordable option.
We normally book aft-insides with Princess, but the idea of having a hammock on our balcony for less than the price of an inside is impossible to turn down.
Booking directly with Princess on the phone was fast & easy.
The rep was cheerful and wanted to make sure that she could, "make ship happen" for us, and she succeeded.

The fare includes all gratuities, all dining venues, basic drinks (coffee, soda, juices), workout classes and more.

They do not sell drink packages, but they do sell bar tabs, which can only be bought pre-cruise.

The current deal is $300 for a bar tab, with a $100 bonus. The tabs are for one sailing only, and are non-refundable.

Our cabins were assigned 2-3 weeks before sailing (we sail 10/19-28) and as it currently stands we will move to a cabin 2 doors away for the second sailing, however, I'm told that I should ask about this at check-in or with guest services once on board. We also may end up bidding for a better cabin category for the 2nd cruise once we're on board for the first, just to get a better idea of what they have to offer.

At this point, Virgin does not have an air or hotel booking program in place, but I've heard that they are working on it.
We were able to book some great, affordable fares directly with Southwest, and our hotel in Miami.

Like all cruise lines, they have an app which is used to book everything from dinner and show reservations to excursions.

Our experience with the Virgin app was a thousand times better than the Princess app. Everything was completed for both sailings in just a few minutes. No glitches, no frozen screens, no lost info. Zero frustration.

Instead of a medallion, you get a bracelet/wristband. They used to mail them, but now you pick them up at the port.

Shortly after booking, Virgin introduced a status match program for most of the major lines.
Anyone with Platinum or elite status simply need to fill out an online form and supply a screen shot of your status.
The process was quick and efficient.
Here's the current deal for 2022 bookings: Free bottle of Moet White Star Champagne, Unlimited Premium Wifi (where available), Expedited Boarding: a dedicated embarkation queue, concierge support while onboard, Private Cocktail Event, Laundry Service (2 pressed items, 1 Dry cleaned item, bag of laundry), $10 daily credit for Specialty Coffee.

An additional benefit is a $100 bar tab bonus when purchasing a Bar Tab for future sailings through December 31, 2024.

One big difference I've noticed is that Virgin Roll Calls here on CC, are not at all as popular as they are with Princess cruisers.

Nobody seems to care about meet & greets, spreadsheets, slot pulls and the like.

Currently, the average roll call has just a handful of replies at most.

That may change as folks become aware of CC, but there are already several active Virgin Voyages groups and roll calls on several other major social websites.

I'm sure I've missed plenty, so feel free to post any questions you may have.

I agree with you, our January cruise was not that great even though we were in a mini-with the special dinning option.  We just booked two back to back cruises with Virgin (6-day) for a total price of $1600 for two out of miami and $2100 for an 8-day [includes tips, internet, tax and port fees] out of Miami (B2B) same cabin center balcony.  I can not believe how much less this is over our princess bookings.  We see that the food is much better, and if this works out we may be sailing only on Virgin Voyages in the future.  Thanks for the heads up on the match that will come in great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

no dress code at all? - so shorts, tanks tops, hats, sandals for any venue at any time? 

Found this on the VV forum from 2021

We always want all of our Sailors to feel comfortable. We encourage you to wear more than a bathing suit if you go to a restaurant and kindly consider shoes, but your style is your style. Who are we to judge?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

How much OBC did you get for 100 sh & military credit?? Although that usually more than covers gratuities and wifi on PCL,  Virgin could work out to be more cost effective once that's included

Neither of us were ever in the military.

3 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

We always want all of our Sailors to feel comfortable. We encourage you to wear more than a bathing suit if you go to a restaurant and kindly consider shoes, but your style is your style. Who are we to judge?

Yes the Princess knifes are out for you, I can not believe how much cheaper it is than a princess cruise and as far as dress code, good riddens I can forget the suit.  If you look on youtube you can see all the great food is and what I see the mid age is about 45 ish.  Can not wait to go and just relax on the ship!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:
2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Neither of us were ever in the military

What about shareholder? I'm not exclusively on PCL. (And yes, I looked at MSC status matching)

Edited by Ombud

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

What about shareholder? I'm not exclusively on PCL

We own 100 shares, so we would normally get the shareholder's OBC. $100 for 7 days, $250 for 14 or more. To my knowledge, Virgin does not have a shareholder's benefit.

Looking forward to the review. From what I've read all dining is included and is more "restaurant style" with various types of eateries rather than a big dining room.  The "Bar Tab" doesn't cover "regular" alcoholic drinks which seem to be around $10 or so. Instead, it covers "premium" drinks. Not sure what that includes but sounds interesting. I'll wait for first hand info on that once the cruise has started.

When I looked at Virgin previously I wasn't interested in the itineraries and I didn't see any voyages that weren't "short". I'm sure that will change as time goes by and will wait to see how things develop. In the meantime, I will definitely follow along here and look forward to first hand information. Thanks for including us in your trip.

Edit:  Just looked up the Bar Tab info. It's definitely something different:

=========================================================

How does Bar Tab work?
Bar Tab is a non-refundable onboard credit that’s able to be spent on premium beverages all around the ship and at The Virgin Voyages Beach Club at Bimini.

Bar Tab is not available to purchase on board the ship. You can purchase a $300 prepaid Bar Tab before you get on board, and we’ll top you off with an extra $100 bonus up until 24 hours prior to sailing.

Is this a bar package?

No. We offer fair drinks pricing and so much more included in every voyage fare "On Us" so there is a premium drink to suit every Sailor's budget.

Can I use it to buy drinks for other people?

Yes. Bar Tab is designed to pay for any premium drink, for you and your friends, therefore not everyone in your cabin has to buy a Bar Tab.

Edited by Thrak

Just now, Thrak said:

The "Bar Tab" doesn't cover "regular" alcoholic drinks

"Premium" drinks is everything that's not included in the basic drinks which are: Filtered still and sparkling water, non-pressed juices, sodas, tea bags, and drip coffee are always on us.

Specialty coffees, fresh specialty juices, cocktails, and wine are all covered by the bar tab.

14 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

"Premium" drinks is everything that's not included in the basic drinks which are: Filtered still and sparkling water, non-pressed juices, sodas, tea bags, and drip coffee are always on us.

Specialty coffees, fresh specialty juices, cocktails, and wine are all covered by the bar tab.

Ahhh... Thanks for the clarification. This is all new territory for most of us so there's a bit of a learning curve. I'm sure you will let us know how things go once you are onboard.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

ewww .....  I like it, kinda rolls off the tongue.  Maybe Virgin can use it as advertisment 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, c-boy said:
6 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

ewww .....  I like it, kinda rolls off the tongue.  Maybe Virgin can use it as advertisment

Will readily admit the shoes optional in restaurants stumps me

3 hours ago, spookyfudge said:
3 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Will readily admit the shoes optional in restaurants stumps me

They go on to say:

Dress Up. Dress Down. Just Dress.

At Virgin Voyages we’re all about Sailors feeling free to express who they are and we know personal style is a huge part of that. Prescribing formal attire requirements just isn’t our style.

We put a lot of trust in our Sailors to have some basic respect for each other, and to not show up to a full service restaurant in only pasties and earrings, a dripping wet bathing suit, a pair of sandy flip-flops or a fully mesh jumpsuit.
We know, you know, that wearing shirts, pants and footwear is just the gracious way to dress in places where food is served. It also can’t hurt to glam up, which is encouraged, in all eateries, especially our gorgeous full service restaurants like the Test Kitchen or The Wake.

Your casual threads are probably nice enough to pass for dinner in any eatery, so come as you are, just not as you “were” when you got out of the shower please. Basically, please wear clothes in our eateries. Cheers!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1