The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday October 16th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Dictionary Day, National Learn a Word Day, and Global Cat Day

I would always rather be happy than dignified.--Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Meal Suggestion for today - flank steak grapes
Drink of the Day - Whisky Smash
Wine of the Day - Walla Walla Vintners 2019 Merlot (Walla Walla Valley)
Destination of the Day - Lyttelton (Christchurch), New Zealand

Eurodam

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 17:00

Koningsdam

Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii 07:00 -

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Puntarenas, CR eta 10/17

Nieuw Statendam

Saint John NB, New Brunswick Canada 11:00 - 19:00

Noordam

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Piraeus-Athens, Greece 08:00 - 23:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Le Havre-Paris, France eta 10/17

Volendam

At Sea Destination Valletta, Malta eta 10/17

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal eta 10/18

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Fanning Island, Line Islands, Kiribati eta 10/18

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Apia, Upolu Island, Samoa eta 10/18

1016World.thumb.png.fcd7a5c61fb5ef62c5df71db29b81e09.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  Dictionary Day and Learn a Word day seem to go together, and there will be a lot here celebrating National Cat Day.  I like the Bronte quote.  I've been to Christchurch a number of times, mostly with Crystal.  Not sure what Flank Steak Grapes is.  My alternative is Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast and Blackberry Sundae as served on MS Amsterdam October 16, 2017. 

dishes151.jpg

I was late at the Baltimore Symphony last night so the lists will be delayed, perhaps after I return from church this afternoon.

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thank you for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another rainy day in store for us today.  It was raining when I walked Bertie yesterday morning, he didn't mind.  I think he'll get wet again today.  I baked peanut butter cookies for my sweetie yesterday, not sure what I'll bake today. 

A nice collection of days, dictionary day and learn a word certainly go together.  I know a lot of people who believe cat day is every day.

I like the quote.

Not sure about the meal, but I think I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

The area is still a mess following Ian but slowly but surely things one day will be back to normal. It looks like our hot water heater was fried during Ian as our water isn't quite hot and I received an electric bill twice what is normal for us as It must be running constantly, next month's bill is estimated to be 3 times our normal, we have a call to one of the water heater emergency companies but no luck in returning our call, I just unplugged it to save on the electric bill with next month estimate to be 349 dollars, ouch.

One thing, Florida is heading weather wise into it's best part of the year, temps in the mid 80s with less humidity and no afternoon showers. Hurricane season ends December 1st but things do quiet down in late October and November.

Thanks for The Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon.

It is sunny and 16°C here.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Learning new words and using a dictionary to check the spelling helped my English Language a lot when I was at school.

Cats are lovely especially Persians.

Being happy is so important in life.

I hope everyone has a Happy day today.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 21

Good morning everyone from charming  Ogunquit, Maine.  I love the first two days but isn’t every day cat day, to a cat?  I like the sensible quote.  Think I’ll have to wait for the recipe to decide on the meal suggestion.  The drink sounds tasty.  I look forward to seeing the photos of a port that I haven’t been to.  Prayers for all on our prayer list.  Cheers to all of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 22

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. Enjoying your “Live from”. Happy to see other Dailyites sharing their adventures and pictures, too!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Off to the gym. Then grocery shopping. Today we are celebrating a 15-year-old’s birthday! He is turning into quite a handsome Dude with an amazing head of hair. 

C4A181E3-7C95-4713-93EB-ECDE7D730DE2.jpeg.64f354a4276f3b866c1af621dda82902.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Walla Walla Vintners 2019 Merlot

This Merlot review mentions chocolate twice! I would love a taste. Quite a few online distributors with prices starting at $25.00.

92 Wine Enthusiast 

The aromas offer immediate appeal, with notes of milk chocolate, dried herb, raspberry, tea leaf and pencil lead. The flavors are sumptuous, with the tannins giving a light grip. Chocolate notes linger on the finish. It's a classic Walla Walla Vintners-style Merlot, with the brightness and clarity of the vintage along with undeniable appeal. Decant if drinking in the near term.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 8

I never thought of pairing flank steak with grapes but I found many recipes. Flank steak is a cut of beef steak taken from the flank, which lies forward of the rear quarter of a cow. This cut of steak comes from the abdominal muscles of the animal, right behind its chest. As you’d expect from that muscle-y area, the meat can be somewhat chewier than other steaks. Because flank steak is quite lean, it can be a bit tough if not prepared and sliced properly. Marinating with a little acid, like lemon juice or vinegar, will help tenderize this cut of beef. Cooking until medium-rare and slicing against the grain are key to a tender result.

Ready in just 30 minutes, this herb marinated flank steak is cooked on the stovetop and topped with balsamic sautéed grapes and shallots and sprinkled with blue cheese. https://www.nutmegnanny.com/grape-blue-cheese-flank-steak/

This grape and blue cheese flank steak is the perfect romantic meal and it's ready in JUST 30 minutes! Herb marinated flank steak cooked on the stovetop and topped with balsamic sautéed grapes and shallots and sprinkled with blue cheese - what's not to love? 

This recipe is from Giada de Laurentiis cookbook called My Recipes for La Dolce Vita: steak, sautéed grapes and mushrooms in a brandy wine sauce.

https://myrecipereviews.com/2018/05/08/flank-steak-with-roasted-grapes-and-mushrooms/

Flank Steak with Mushroom

This steak is marinated in a paste with herbs and balsamic vinegar, quickly seared and then finished with the grapes in the oven. https://food52.com/recipes/13450-seared-and-pan-roasted-flank-steak-with-grapes

2e3c2e0a-49b4-4b17-8b18-5ec200745349--ph

In California, the fresh grape boom hit in 1839 when a former trapper from Kentucky, William Wolfskill, planted the state’s first table grape vineyard in the Mexican colonial pueblo now known as Los Angeles.   This recipe is from the Grapes from California website. https://www.grapesfromcalifornia.com/recipes/grilled-flank-steak-grapes-stilton/

grilled-flank-steak-with-grapes-and-stilton.jpg

This broiled flank steak is served with grapes and a delicious looking salad on the side. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/broiled-flank-steak-with-grilled-champagne-grapes-and-a-bitter-greens-and-blue-cheese-salad-1961524

1371597661035.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 12

Good morning from the lovely Nieuw Statendam! 
Being 4 hours ahead of the time zone at home has enabled me to be in the first handful of posts this morning. 🤣 

We’re having a lovely time on this cruise, everything has been great! We will miss the gang when they debark on the 22nd though. I have a feeling our last 2 weeks will be quieter than the first 2 weeks. 

For me every day is cat day, but there is only one cat in my life right now because sadly our daughter’s cat is still missing. The grandsons are heartbroken. 😞

This is Jinx, our neighbor’s cat. He visits me every day when the weather allows. 

E516A5E2-192C-4388-ABF4-CD1B0317E4AD.thumb.jpeg.2011da97e721e6e1299fb4528621932b.jpeg

• Like 33

Good morning from Beautiful Barbados.

There is not a cloud in the sky this morning. 

Today is our last full day here and we hope to make the best of it.

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and the Fleet Report.

I like the days, especially learning a new word and using the dictionary. I don’t have a cat.  i have nothing against them, but never had one, and never will.

Will skip on the meal, although we like flank steak.  

Will also pass on the drink and wine.

Never been to the port.

Thank you to @grapau27for posting Father David’s sermon.  It is always a spiritual pick-me-up.  i look forward to it every Sunday morning.

Thank you in advance Roy for the lists. Prayers for all that need them.   @cruising single prayers for your Step Son with all he is going through right now.

Cheers to those celebrating.  Especially on the NS.  Looks like you are all having a great time.

Hope everyone has a happy Sunday.

God Bless,

Terri

image.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Whisky Smash cocktail:

Ingredients

2 ounces (4 tablespoons) whiskey
1/4 lemon, sliced into 2 wedges
5 large mint leaves
1 ounce (2 tablespoons) simple syrup or maple syrup
Soda water, for serving
Crushed ice, for serving
Instructions
Place the mint leaves in a cocktail shaker. Muddle 4 to 5 times to extract flavor. Add the lemon wedges and muddle again.
Add the whiskey and simple syrup and fill the shaker with ice. Shake until cold and strain into a glass. If desired, add a splash of soda water. Serve with crushed ice.

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 7.51.40 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Making better progress than expected.  Part of it is an improvement in the weather forecast so I will stop at the grocery store after church rather than before.  A pretty chilly but otherwise nice day until probably after sunset.

Today’s care list:

Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Final days for kochkeffek’s friend Fran
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS

Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Quartzite Cruiser DH numbness in legs
Damage from Ian and Fiona
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Cruzin Terri in Barbados  to 10/17; last day in penthouse
Birthday week with sister for Seasick Sailor
Birthday week for SusieKIslandGirl
Heartgrove’s DGD Lily
Welcome home Oceansaway17 and GTVCRUISER
7 Days for Cruisin Single (American Star 10/23 to 10/30)
Oceansaway17 (Oasis OTS  to 10/16)  Cruising-Along(11/5), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam  to 10/22),  MissG (Oosterdam  to 10/22),  HAL4NOW (Koningsdam  to 10/24), and AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25), Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,  and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30)
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 13

Good morning from the Nieuw Statendam approaching Saint John, NB. It appears to be a lovely day. The sea is calm and I don’t see any fog. We decided to do a HOHO today. Tomorrow we will be in Portland, ME and have immigration inspection before going ashore. 

I use dictionary dot com frequently. Craig is always looking up words especially when he’s reading. 

I’ve seen recipes for grapes with steak and all the ones Tina shared look yummy. 

Cats are sweet creatures and I wish we had one. I’ve always had a cat until our Maine Coon and his sister died in 2008. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich 🙂 

Great combination of days!  You need a dictionary at times to learn new words so those 2 days go well together.  Global Cat Day?  I know most owners of cats think every day is cat day and believe me, I know cats think every day is Cat Day 😉 

A849605E-3E1A-488F-9DA5-4F4FD3F61081.jpeg.0bac0d324732be030aee5bfe9f57accd.jpeg

Most importantly, the sun is coming out today to welcome our Daily-ites to our port.  It looks like a promising day for them 👍 Loved Christchurch when we were there.  It was VERY windy and it was easy to get blown away.  Quite fun, actually 🙂 

30C4FB39-D8CD-45C5-B8BA-6EDE1E874294.jpeg.fbbde80203ae30010c78263a06bc2218.jpeg

Yesterday was devoted to playing with the spread sheet for our upcoming cruise and struggling with the Mac to get it converted to PDF.  Had to call in some technical support because the old way didn’t work.  He is used to the Mac and was finding the same issue.  Thankfully he created a work around and after a bit the conversion was complete!  We came to the conclusion that Mac & google don’t like each other.  I have got to find a new charger for my laptop.  It likes google 😉 It was definitely wine o’clock when I finally got it done, in my signature and confirmation it worked.

30F9177B-1815-4DB6-BCAA-F7DBBAA197BD.jpeg.eb6f83ce66402137523c4933c5381c5b.jpeg

At least it is done and I can now move on to more important things that hopefully won’t be as time consuming 🤞 I think a list is in order - LOL. But first, more coffee.

01A6F305-545E-4A37-BF1B-B4E727FDDC3B.jpeg.a88d9196149012cb886c503c7896d3a9.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, those still suffering from Ian & Fiona (far too many 😔), Ukraine and all who need them.  And a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!!!

F9A34E3F-5458-4BF3-81B1-085CDEE70C93.jpeg.269cd656ac44b5631a9e0cb8ad53a392.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 27
  • Haha 8

Good morning from a pretty  fall day in New York. We celebrate cats everyday here and like the dictionary and new word days .We have not been to the port. Tina @0106, thanks for the recipes. I was getting hungry reading through them and  decided the first one would be popular with most of this group.

@Heartgrove, Ray, Thank you for the beautiful pictures of Lily

@cruzn single, I am sorry to hear about your stepson’s diagnosis and treatment.

Yesterday an old work colleague visited Tana and  it seemed to go well. Tana was very worried about her appearance so DD helped her with a little makeup and hair therapy prior to the visit.DSIL and I went to the Football game at the High School and watched our teenager play for a few minutes. He was so excited on the way home and I can’t blame him. It is a very big school and there is a lot of competition for playing time.

I leave you with cat pictures!

BA71C741-D334-4A5F-ABE4-60C1FBF4B71A.jpeg

1096CE3F-73AE-4BFA-9F79-520684E8C7BD.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  It's a pretty morning, warmer at 49F.  It will be mostly sunny and 82 this afternoon.  No exercising today so I got up later. Something's up at our post office.  All week substitute carriers have been delivering here after 6 or 7 pm!  Last night we had finished dinner when I saw the mail truck, headlights on going up and back down our cul-de-sac.  It took forever because she was constantly backing up and putting forgotten mail into the mailboxes she'd already passed!  I watched her pass by our mailbox at 7:25 pm and stuff a week's worth of mail into our neighbor's box (who were on their way home from a road trip).  On she went to the next street, continuing to back up here and there to address her mistakes.  No wonder she was so late!  A few minutes later DH checked his Amazon order status online and it said the post office delivered it at 7:15.  But she hadn't stopped at our box!  He went out to see if she had stuffed it into our neighbor's box, but checked ours first and there it was!  I have no idea how it magically appeared but we must have been one of the back ups, only we didn't see it.  Or a neighbor found it in their box and walked down to our box and delivered it themselves.  That happens sometimes.  Hope our usual carrier comes back soon!

Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  Glad to hear of all the fun and good dining on the cruise with all the Dailyites.  I say "me, too" to Bronte's quote.  Dictionaries and learning words are great helps.  A salute to all the cats out there, especially here on the Daily.  Flank steak with grapes sounds interesting but once again I'll take Roy's alternative meal.  No thanks to the drink or wine.  @MISTER 67I hope you can get the water heater situation rectified soon.  That is a crazy amount to pay for hot water,  Graham @grapau27thanks to you for Father David's sermon this morning.  I'll listen to it after I finish here.  

Roy @rafinmdthanks for getting our updated Care and Celebration lists posted.  Lots of info on there since there is so much going on in everyone's lives.  Prayers for all our Care list people. Also many prayers for the people of Ukraine, and everyone still suffering after Ian and Fiona, as well as neighbor Linda as she recovers from her horrific accident and loss of DH David.  Hoping for better days ahead.  A shout out to our Celebration people.  Enjoy your happy events, all, especially your cruises.

Our port today is Lyttelton (Christchurch), New Zealand and it is the first time here for it.  I checked and this is our 13th New Zealand port.  My trips there have not included Lyttelton or Christchurch.  Perhaps because after the 2011 earthquake the cruise lines had to move on to other places as they worked on building back their city.  I would love to go there sometime, and also would enjoy any photos posted here today.  

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Happy Sunday Morning!  Cat day??? every day here. Furnando even crept into to bed this morning to tell me to GET UP!  It's my day.  They were all disappointed by canned Pate this morning except the out side one, I tell her it's canned mouse, and she's good with that.  

@cat shepard I did find your meme funny, but I do have a rebuttal....Forgive me,   Everyone my age is on drugs, but they all come with a prescription, and the reason I don't have a curfew is I cant see to drive at night, so I am always home early.

@StLouisCruisers OMG!  We are having the same problem with our mail delivery too!  On Tuesday nights I take the neighbors dog out, and no mail had arrived, this was after 8 pm, walking back across the street, I see the truck turn at the end, drive up the street  just a bit, back down, and then block the entrance to the bottom of our street.  Then they backed down some more, and turned back where they came from.  Mail was delivered at 9 pm.  Last night after our shopping, there was a terrible accident on the way home, so we took the back roads home, and on the other side of the main intersection, we saw another mail delivery person out, driving in the dark,  weaving down the road.  Chuck thinks it's new staff, I think it's the fact that they are overworked, and the government doesn't want them to be #1 in delivery, they probably want independent companies to handle all mail.

@MISTER 67Ouch on that water heater, and I think your bill is outrageous, some weird philosophy of hitting hard when you are down and out anyway.  

@grapau27Thank you for giving us Father David every week. I fear opening my heart to all, I seem to select what I do open my heart to, this is something I need to change, but in order to change that, I need to change not only the heart, but the way I live.  Maybe that is what I am truly afraid of.

193365-Rules-For-The-Cat.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9