Princess New Year’s Day Menu, Collards and Black-eyed Peas?

catarazzi

Hello everyone! 

We will be cruising with our daughter and son-in-law on the Royal Princess to Hawaii (December 22, 2022). This is our first cruise with Princess, and we’re all very much looking forward to it.

This may seem silly to some, but for my son-in-law, adhering to good Southern New Year’s Day traditions have served him well so far. Not wanting to buck tradition, he would like to know if he needs to BYOC(ans) his own collards and black-eyed peas. I am stumped, but I certainly don’t want him to miss out on a long-standing family tradition. Any suggestions from previous New Year’s Day cruisers? 

Thanks a bunch (or should I say “peck”?)! 

Jen

Doubtful it would be on the menu. You can ask the head waiter in advance if they can prepare it or something like it. Princess can and does prepare veggie dishes. There is no place to heat any canned items brought on board. No passenger microwaves, no passenger stoves or hot plates and you can not bring your own hot plate to use in your cabin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, catarazzi said:

Hello everyone! 

We will be cruising with our daughter and son-in-law on the Royal Princess to Hawaii (December 22, 2022). This is our first cruise with Princess, and we’re all very much looking forward to it.

This may seem silly to some, but for my son-in-law, adhering to good Southern New Year’s Day traditions have served him well so far. Not wanting to buck tradition, he would like to know if he needs to BYOC(ans) his own collards and black-eyed peas. I am stumped, but I certainly don’t want him to miss out on a long-standing family tradition. Any suggestions from previous New Year’s Day cruisers? 

Thanks a bunch (or should I say “peck”?)! 

Jen

You could probably get it on the Mississippi Delta Queen, but not

likely on PCL.

Never seen either one of those.

We just wait till we get home to have 

black-eyed peas and ham for the new year!

• Thanks 1

Thank you to all so have replied thus far. It looks like he may end up disappointed for the real deal, but hopefully we can find a suitable alternative. This I truly is the definition of a first world problem. Fortune has already smiled upon us being able to share so many wonderful days traveling to Hawaii together. 

7 minutes ago, catarazzi said:

Now, don’t go giving him ideas! 😆

I think I've seen fresh hoppin' john for sale in pint sized containers in the deli section at Lowe's Foods.  Might also have seen it at Publix.  If you can bring a bottle or two of wine aboard, why not a package of New Year's luck?

• Haha 1

They have kale for their new idea of Caesars salad, it's raw but close to collards family of greens, plenty of ham around, but not that wonderful southern smoked ham. Lots of unique bean dishes at the buffet he could get lucky. We are on the Hawaii trip so the food should be similar.

Good luck with the new years menu. Enjoy you family cruise.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, skynight said:

Doubtful it would be on the menu. You can ask the head waiter in advance if they can prepare it or something like it. Princess can and does prepare veggie dishes. There is no place to heat any canned items brought on board. No passenger microwaves, no passenger stoves or hot plates and you can not bring your own hot plate to use in your cabin. 

I guess you weren't a Boy Scout!  Slightly open the can (Boy Scout jack knife has a can opener blade), put it in a dish, fill the dish with hot water from the tea station at the buffet.  Change the water out as necessary until the food is hot.

The OP's son-in-law, as a good Southern boy, can manage this!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I guess you weren't a Boy Scout!  Slightly open the can (Boy Scout jack knife has a can opener blade), put it in a dish, fill the dish with hot water from the tea station at the buffet.  Change the water out as necessary until the food is hot.

Yes! He could bring a few baggies with his cans and get hot water from the tea station or room service. Kinda like his own NC NYE sous vide. I think you’re on to something! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

They have kale for their new idea of Caesars salad, it's raw but close to collards family of greens, plenty of ham around, but not that wonderful southern smoked ham. Lots of unique bean dishes at the buffet he could get lucky. We are on the Hawaii trip so the food should be similar.

Good luck with the new years menu. Enjoy you family cruise.

Thank you so much for your insights. I hope you are having a wonderfully relaxing cruise! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roobug said:

I was thinking he could use the iron to heat up the can but the sous vide idea sounds much better.

I never even thought of the iron.  Surprising, because as a kid, I used to make the best grilled cheese sandwiches using an iron and aluminum foil.  Until my mom found out!!  😁

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I like that idea, sure they sell boiling bags should heat with just 1 change of hot water. Very clever.

• Thanks 1

If this was very important to you, I would print out a recipe, to show the head waiter or chef, when you make a special request in MDR in advance.  Princess use to be very attention to special requests, if they had ingredients on board they just might whip something up.  Can't hurt to ask, may do for your table in MDR.  Need to ask ahead of New Year's Day.    Recipe may help them know what you are talking about.  I am on the same cruise, not from the south so have not idea of what you're talking about. 

Every New Years day we have had black eyed peas cooked with the Christmas hambone, rice, boiled cabbage, and cornbread. Always thought it was a pretty good meal. Told my Yankee friend what our tradition was and she said that was what her dad fed his hunting dogs. 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, pris993 said:

If this was very important to you, I would print out a recipe, to show the head waiter or chef, when you make a special request in MDR in advance.  Princess use to be very attention to special requests, if they had ingredients on board they just might whip something up. 

I doubt they would have the ingredients on hand, so if the son-in-law brings it canned, it is just a question of getting it hot.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, roobug said:

I was thinking he could use the iron to heat up the can but the sous vide idea sounds much better.

I don't think the ship's crew and other passengers would like it if you were using the laundry room irons on the ironing boards to heat up food. The irons are attached to the wall. 

• Like 1

It's interesting to me that many cruisers don't see travel as a way to experience new customs/traditions and instead want to bring their home experiences along on the trip.

I wonder what a Hawaiian new years tradition might be?

I doubt a stay at a Hawaiian hotel would offer collards and black eyed peas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pris993 said:

If this was very important to you, I would print out a recipe, to show the head waiter or chef, when you make a special request in MDR in advance.  Princess use to be very attention to special requests, if they had ingredients on board they just might whip something up.  Can't hurt to ask, may do for your table in MDR.  Need to ask ahead of New Year's Day.    Recipe may help them know what you are talking about.  I am on the same cruise, not from the south so have not idea of what you're talking about. 

come on. They are super-duper busy getting the special holiday menu ready for thousands of people, and you want them to cook something completely different by special request? What if the other, say,  thousand passengers also have their special requests put in for that night?

• Thanks 1