Carnival Cruise Line Cracks Down On Deck Chair Hogs

mnocket

5 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

To go swimming? Can’t imagine anyone would have a problem with that.

But when someone decides to… make my way into the buffet and eat and back in 20 minutes.  40 minutes allows you to go exercise, eat somethingand return.  

If one decides to go elsewhere to eat a meal and exercise, we’ll that’s just plain silly  and clearly self-entitled. 

It seems fair to leave your lounger, go grab something from the grill, and then return to your lounger to eat it there. That should be pretty quick. Leaving and eating in the buffet and expecting your spot to be available when you come back is the sort of entitled behavior one should learn is unacceptable early on in life.  I'm constantly amazed at the childish behavior of people.

Fortunately for me, I never sit in the sun in the pool area. On ships with the Conservatory (above the covered pool) I pick a spot there. I have a quiet place out of the sun where I can read and there is never any fierce competition for the loungers. I've never used a pool on a ship. My wife uses the aft pool and the "chair hog" phenomena doesn't seem to be a big deal there.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2022 at 1:35 PM, mnocket said:

carnival-deck-chair-hogs-1030x510.png?wi

If the chair remains unoccupied for 40 minutes, the contents are removed and held for the guest’s safekeeping.”

This policy is not new to Carnival, but it has not always been enforced.

I hope this is extended to all CCL brands.

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-cruise-line-cracks-down-chair-hogs/

And what are they doing about the Chair Bullies ?  Those people that sleep till noon and expect to get a pool side deck chair and use intimidation to get one

• Haha 2

As I have mentioned in previous posts, the OP and others on the first page were discussing 40 minutes.  If 20 minutes, 30 minutes, or 40 minutes is the "rule", then how that time spent shouldn't matter to anyone on why someone is not in their chair.  Swimming, eating, bathrooms, etc.  Not sure why the activity would matter if the time frame that is allowed is met. 

• Like 3

If 20 minutes works, heck, I can stretch it to 30, or why not 40. Oh shoot, I think I’ll just run up to the gym and ride that bike for a while, 60 minutes should work, shouldn't it? Who’s going to notice. And besides, I paid for it didn’t I? And it’s MY vacation. 

You know what, I’m a little tired now so I think I’ll just take myself a little nap. MY lounger will be there when I get back. I’m sure no one will bother my stuff that I left to protect MY lounger. 

And besides, if someone feels so self-entitled to think for a minute they can move MY stuff, I’ll just get in their face when I return in an hour or two or three or whenever I darn good and well feel like it. 

Yeah, that’s what I’ll do. That will teach the self-important scoundrel a lesson. But good. 🤬

Edited by Bobbiegentry
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

As I have mentioned in previous posts, the OP and others on the first page were discussing 40 minutes.  If 20 minutes, 30 minutes, or 40 minutes is the "rule", then how that time spent shouldn't matter to anyone on why someone is not in their chair.  Swimming, eating, bathrooms, etc.  Not sure why the activity would matter if the time frame that is allowed is met. 

Let us not forget that the loungers are by the POOL. SWIMMING is the activity that the pool is designed for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Let us not forget that the loungers are by the POOL. SWIMMING is the activity that the pool is designed for.

Very few people swim or can swim in the pool unless they do so early or late in the day.  By your logic, if the pool holds 40 people let's say, why are there more than 40 lounge chairs?

Also, if the buffet seating is for eating, why do people play cards in there?  Lots of uses for lots of spaces on a ship.

What in my post you quoted do you disagree with exactly?

• Haha 1

Not really sure why you are stalking me.  Please stop.  If you don't agree with my comments, that is fine, it's an anonymous message board.  You are 100% free to remove your belongings from a pool lounger if you go to the bathroom or to the bar, or to get food.  I am 100% free to not do that as long as I am meeting the guidelines set by the cruise line. 

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Not really sure why you are stalking me.  Please stop.  If you don't agree with my comments, that is fine, it's an anonymous message board.  You are 100% free to remove your belongings from a pool lounger if you go to the bathroom or to the bar, or to get food.  I am 100% free to not do that as long as I am meeting the guidelines set by the cruise line. 

It would be helpful to know which one of us are you lecturing? 😇

4 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

It would be helpful to know which one of us are you lecturing?

Sorry, I had told that person pages ago, I would not respond to them, but even after that, they continued to quote me out of context and post about my newer comments even though they weren't directed at them. 

44 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Sorry, I had told that person pages ago, I would not respond to them, but even after that, they continued to quote me out of context and post about my newer comments even though they weren't directed at them. 

if you click on 'that persons' profile icon - you can see a place to 'ignore poster' - use it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

It would be helpful to know which one of us are you lecturing? 😇

Not hard to figure that out and it's not you.  Cruise Critic has a guideline about "stalking."  It might not hurt to report that kind of thing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Very few people swim or can swim in the pool unless they do so early or late in the day.  By your logic, if the pool holds 40 people let's say, why are there more than 40 lounge chairs?

Also, if the buffet seating is for eating, why do people play cards in there?  Lots of uses for lots of spaces on a ship.

DW swims. She does swim early, but it is not the only time.

I disagreed that leaving the lounger always meant your stuff should leave as I maintain that swimmers should always be able to use the lounges. 

And this does not mean only swimmers should be able to use the lounges as that is a real jump from what I have posted.

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

DW swims. She does swim early, but it is not the only time.

I disagreed that leaving the lounger always meant your stuff should leave as I maintain that swimmers should always be able to use the lounges. 

And this does not mean only swimmers should be able to use the lounges as that is a real jump from what I have posted.

Fair enough.  After being harassed, I'm probably over sensitive.  We are in and out of the pool all day on good weather days.

5 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Bc some use them for sunbathing

6 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Is there an issue with a shortage of buffet chairs? Personally don't know as I've only been to the buffet once & that was to get an orange spice tea bag. No seating needed / wanted. 

I don't mind people lingering in the piazza but do mind them moving sh!! when the person is momentarily gone / saving a spot at 1pm for music at 4pm by leaving a book there

6 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I disagree with the thought that the purpose of the chair is to hold stuff. 

56 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Is there an issue with a shortage of buffet chairs? Personally don't know as I've only been to the buffet once & that was to get an orange spice tea bag. No seating needed / wanted. 

I have experienced on cold weather cruises where chair hogs take over tables in the buffet making it difficult or sometimes impossible to find a place to eat in the buffet.  I've seen one person taking up a table for 4 playing solitaire and finally had to sit at a table with one older lady sitting alone, holding the other 7 spots with magazines and paperback books.  (Obviously hogging the table for others who weren't even in the buffet.)  I do believe the tables in the buffet should be reserved for people who are dining, and sipping on a coffee or tea for an hour while reading a book or playing with a phone isn't dining anymore.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I have experienced on cold weather cruises where chair hogs take over tables in the buffet making it difficult or sometimes impossible to find a place to eat in the buffet. 

Chair hogs are everywhere, not just the pool.  

• Like 1

Now seems a good time to recount my story about the extended family with the weird old 'crazy lady' Matriarch who actually not only started moving anybody's stuff, but moving chairs and tables.  : O

They had lined them up blocking any possible walkway along the whole bar side of the Piazza to ''claim' literally almost half of the Piazza area around the center as their own, for the evening show.

Not only was that extremely rude, but I imagine would also be a huge break in any fire/hazard policy.

When they didn't like that they thought I was in 'their' territory, they came out into the center dance-floor area, first tapping me on the shoulder, which I immediatly shook off and moved over, and then actually grabbing my arm.  No Princess staff did anything at all.  By the time my arm was grabbed, I turned around with all of the authority and fury of a woman scorned and said very very loudly...  "TOUCH ME AGAIN AND I  -WILL- GET SECURITY!!!!"

You know, hogs and rude people can be almost anywhere.  But, the problem is in how Princess has refused to try to deal with the problem.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

One thing I have always enjoyed about Cruise Critic - it's like a soap opera.  I haven't really spent much time here over the last few years, but when you come back it's like you never left, the same discussions are still going on - and usually with the same people... 🙂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

One thing I have always enjoyed about Cruise Critic - it's like a soap opera.  I haven't really spent much time here over the last few years, but when you come back it's like you never left, the same discussions are still going on - and usually with the same people... 🙂

It's a long going show called "Days Of Our Cruises". 

• Haha 1