Haven’t booked with a TA since 1995

iuki

5 minutes ago, iuki said:

I have a question about booking with a TA.  If you have a TA book a cruise for you, do you lose your cruise deposit PLUS a fee charged by the TA?

Book a refundable cruise and use a TA that doesn't charge a cancellation fee.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, iuki said:

I have a question about booking with a TA.  If you have a TA book a cruise for you, do you lose your cruise deposit PLUS a fee charged by the TA?

No, find a TA with group space and your cruise will have a refundable deposit and be cheaper than Royal's posted rate.

• Like 3

Just now, iuki said:

How do you find a TA like that?

Many TA's have them you just have to email or call and ask.  My TA has a good number.  Probably a TA associated with a large agency that still gives personal service would my recommendation.  Sometimes contacting someone you might know who has a TA they like might be a good place to start.

• Like 4

Also check for perks offered from different travel agents. We just got back from a 10 night standard balcony cabin on Quantum. Booked through a big box store that does not give group rates or take part in the Royal up program. We did receive a $160 shop card, classic Coke package for two, $50 cabin OBC, $65 spa credit and Specialty Dining for two. 

• Like 1

We had a great TA who we used for about 15 years.Then he retired but referred us to a friend of his.She gave those who booked with her gifts.The first cruise was a canvas bag.Every cruise thereafter became a better gift.

The fifth cruise was a pair of very good quality binoculars.Another gift was a carry on suitcase.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Many TA's have them you just have to email or call and ask.  My TA has a good number.  Probably a TA associated with a large agency that still gives personal service would my recommendation.  Sometimes contacting someone you might know who has a TA they like might be a good place to start.

So how do you book your cruises, do you just ask your Travel agent what cruises he has that have group rates? Doesn't that  greatly limit the cruises you can book if you go that route?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

So how do you book your cruises, do you just ask your Travel agent what cruises he has that have group rates? Doesn't that  greatly limit the cruises you can book if you go that route?

No, I usually will have a specific time when I have availability to cruise.  I'll pick out two or three options that look attractive to me and ask him to let me know what pricing looks like for both or all three and will then choose.  Sometimes he has group space, sometimes he doesn't.  I'd say of about of my last five cruises and of my next five Royal cruises about half are in group space.  Sometimes the savings is small, $20 or $50, but sometimes the savings are huge.  Early this year when I travelled on Odyssey, booking group space was $1400 less than what Royal offering directly on their website at time of booking for a similar cabin.  By final payment it was down to a $500 difference, I think, but still a substantial savings.  Irrespective of the discount, every group booking is a refundable deposit which can mean anywhere from a $75 value upwards to $250 or even more.  

The only restriction I can think of is that you must book double occupancy so group space can't really be used if taking advantage of the KSF discount but that not an issue for us anymore.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We've been using the same big online outfit for many years (they advertise on CC's  "find a cruise" section}.  On Royal sailings usually receive free grats plus a small group credit.  Never paid a cancellation fee.  Others have reportedly received more generous percs but we've been happy with the service and 24/7 customer support line.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

We've been using the same big online outfit for many years (they advertise on CC's  "find a cruise" section}.  On Royal sailings usually receive free grats plus a small group credit.  Never paid a cancellation fee.  Others have reportedly received more generous percs but we've been happy with the service and 24/7 customer support line.

Then you can post it here. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

TA's associated with larger companies will have groups on close to 75% of sailings...more on the larger ships and slightly less on the smaller ones

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I finally got a recommendation for a good travel agent and booked a NYE cruise on Wonder for next year.  The price on Royal's site for an inside cabin, midship, was just over $3800.  The TA had a group rate of just over $2900.  Huge savings and she got me in one of the two cabins I was looking at.  Small amount of OBC too but the savings were really what pushed me to try a TA again after so much time.  She has been super helpful so far.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Your response has been the most helpful.  With non-refundable cruise deposits, if something came up and I had to cancel, I’m really not crazy about adding another cancellation fee.  🙄

23 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

No, I usually will have a specific time when I have availability to cruise.  I'll pick out two or three options that look attractive to me and ask him to let me know what pricing looks like for both or all three and will then choose.  Sometimes he has group space, sometimes he doesn't.  I'd say of about of my last five cruises and of my next five Royal cruises about half are in group space.  Sometimes the savings is small, $20 or $50, but sometimes the savings are huge.  Early this year when I travelled on Odyssey, booking group space was $1400 less than what Royal offering directly on their website at time of booking for a similar cabin.  By final payment it was down to a $500 difference, I think, but still a substantial savings.  Irrespective of the discount, every group booking is a refundable deposit which can mean anywhere from a $75 value upwards to $250 or even more.  

The only restriction I can think of is that you must book double occupancy so group space can't really be used if taking advantage of the KSF discount but that not an issue for us anymore.  

It is weird to quote yourself but I thought a little followup was in order. I just booked a cabin that is part of my TA's group space. 

This is the pricing if I had booked directly with a refundable deposit.

image.thumb.png.b447f52e8145a7391d0fae3845513921.png

And this is the invoice from my TA for the same 4D balcony booked as part of his group space.

image.thumb.png.e5481028dc426f77b2247ca16665448d.png

$374 dollar discount and my TA's booking comes with $50 OBC as well.

• Thanks 1