Will a nightlight with equal-sized prongs fit in the bathroom outlet?

pompeii

About to embark on the Regal and would like to take a nightlight.  I bought one that has two standard prongs and am hoping someone can verify that it will work in the bathroom outlet.  We usually take little tealights, but I'd prefer an actual nightlight.  I also read that the overhead light has to be on in the bathroom for the outlet to work?  If so, that would defeat the purpose.  I've never used the outlet in the bathroom since it's for razors only so I don't know if the light has to be on or not.  

Anyway, can someone illuminate?  

12 minutes ago, pompeii said:

About to embark on the Regal and would like to take a nightlight.  I bought one that has two standard prongs and am hoping someone can verify that it will work in the bathroom outlet.  We usually take little tealights, but I'd prefer an actual nightlight.  I also read that the overhead light has to be on in the bathroom for the outlet to work?  If so, that would defeat the purpose.  I've never used the outlet in the bathroom since it's for razors only so I don't know if the light has to be on or not.  

That’s tricky.  It’s there for electric razors.

It has a flap, so you would need to prop it up, if I remember correctly.

Some night lights may fit, if small and flat. Because of all the different ships, we just take led battery candles. They last for 14-30 days, when turned on at night only.

• Thanks 3

On the Grand, the bathroom outlet worked with the nightlights from the Dollar Tree/99 cents stores.  I also used a small usb power cube with a usb light in the bathroom.  

It does have to be the non-polarized prongs (2 of the same).   Bathroom night did not have to be on (defeats the purpose).

Can't speak regarding Royal Class ships...I won't sail on them (for now).

• Thanks 1

IF the nightlight has identical prongs (in other words equal sized), then you should have no problem.   The images below are from the Royal Princess mini suite.

Sometimes, if the prongs are different sizes it may work or may not work.  I have actually acquired a nightlight with equal sized prongs and it always works.  

Note the small button between the outlet inlets in the image below.  The nightlight needs to be able to push the button inwards.  If needed use some tape.

P1070766aaa.jpg

P1070766.JPG

Edited by tcdcruiser
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, pompeii said:

I found a picture of someone with a nightlight on the Royal.

26989064229_b12f116dc1_b.jpgRoyal Princess Bathroom Night Light

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Just know that the shaver outlet is current limited.  A nightlight that is rated more than 4 watts will blow the fuse.

Good to know…my LED night light looks like the photo in post #6 and it’s 0.5W which has worked onboard. I don’t prop the cover open & it provides sufficient illumination at night & unplug it during the day when it’s not needed.

7 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Good to know…my LED night light looks like the photo in post #6 and it’s 0.5W which has worked onboard. I don’t prop the cover open & it provides sufficient illumination at night & unplug it during the day when it’s not needed.

The 40 milliamp limit on the shaver outlet is because the ship does not use a GFCI in wet areas like in the US.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, tcdcruiser said:

This has worked on the Pacific, Grand, Ruby and Crown. Uses 1/2 watt, but had to grind down one of the prongs.  But these look like the prongs are the same.

That doesn't sound very safe.  Why did you have to do that?

12 hours ago, pompeii said:

About to embark on the Regal and would like to take a nightlight.  I bought one that has two standard prongs and am hoping someone can verify that it will work in the bathroom outlet.  

I also read that the overhead light has to be on in the bathroom for the outlet to work?

Yes if it has the two standard prongs.

It has been a long time since I have been on a cruise ship that required the light to be on for the outlet to work.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, pompeii said:

That outlet only has power when you turn on the bathroom light. I use a battery oerated led night light.

4 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

That outlet only has power when you turn on the bathroom light. I use a battery oerated led night light.

The bathroom light did not have to be on on the Royal for the night light to work. However, every time you approach the bathroom the darn overhead light by the closet comes on and you’re blinded by that!

8 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

The bathroom light did not have to be on on the Royal for the night light to work. However, every time you approach the bathroom the darn overhead light by the closet comes on and you’re blinded by that!

We now take painters tape or something similar to cover the sensor. The sensor for that light is facing the bathroom. Just cover it and it won't come on during the night.

We also put the extra bed pillows against the bottom of the nightstands so we are not blinded by that light coming on. 

I know these lights are for safety but they wake me up too much and make it harder to go back to sleep.

3 hours ago, adstz said:

We now take painters tape or something similar to cover the sensor. The sensor for that light is facing the bathroom. Just cover it and it won't come on during the night.

We also put the extra bed pillows against the bottom of the nightstands so we are not blinded by that light coming on. 

I know these lights are for safety but they wake me up too much and make it harder to go back to sleep.

We figured out the pillows, but your painter’s tape is brilliant!!  Thank you 😊 

2 hours ago, adstz said:

🤔. Why the pillows?  Why not put the tape over those sensors too?  That’s what we do.